• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Romeo and Juliet stars Francesca Amewudah-Rivers and Tom Holland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ownage

I thought they were both dudes.
There are many pretty black actresses so if you want to do a race swap use beautiful woman at least.

We already had "modern" adaptation with much better cast in 2000:

Romeo-Must-Die-Poster.jpg

Zvpc4gX.jpg
Absolutely.

Kacho

Personally, I think native americans are getting the worst of it.
They really are...

Like the recent Predator movie. Native Americans vs a Predator is badass idea on paper. Unfortunately it got put through the modern day machine leaving us with a movie that leaned too hard on the strong female trope. Plus the acting was god awful, which made it even more cringe.

I think Echo suffered the same fate from what I've read.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Two things:

1. Beauty and attractiveness have changed a LOT in the past 1000 years ... Shoot, what some call ugly nowadays was beautiful in whichever culture. What some call a 3 nowadays was a 10 back then. The bigger she was, the more attractive. Of course, depending on the culture, hygiene was better back then... Especially in regions of Africa, North America, Asia and the southern parts of Europe.

2. That isn't a mustache. It's a dark upper lip. Common among darker skinned black folks.

Actually, one more thing...

What are some examples of pretty young black actresses? I'm trying to see something.

But of course.

I already knew what I was about to see before even opening the thread.
Things have gotten so damn predictable that I don't even know how or why these mega corporations keep insisting on doing what they do.

Bah...

John Bilbo

Two things:

1. Beauty and attractiveness have changed a LOT in the past 1000 years ... Shoot, what some call ugly nowadays was beautiful in whichever culture. What some call a 3 nowadays was a 10 back then. The bigger she was, the more attractive. Of course, depending on the culture, hygiene was better back then... Especially in regions of Africa, North America, Asia and the southern parts of Europe.
I think this is a misconception based on the idea that humans are a blank slate when born. Beauty and attractiveness are more based on biology than culture.
What are some examples of pretty young black actresses? I'm trying to see something.
Beyonce and Halle Berry come to mind first.

Beyonce Knowles GIF

Halle Berry Beach GIF by James Bond 007

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I think this is a misconception based on the idea that humans are a blank slate when born. Beauty and attractiveness are more based on biology than culture.

Beyonce and Halle Berry come to mind first.

Beyonce Knowles GIF

Halle Berry Beach GIF by James Bond 007

Beyonce is 42... Halle Berry is 56... Tom Holland is like 27. I said YOUNG for a reason.

Both your examples, however, are both beautiful light skinned black women. Are there any darker skinned ones?

Last edited:

John Bilbo

Beyonce is 42... Halle Berry is 56... Tom Holland is like 27. I said YOUNG for a reason.

Both your examples, however, are both beautiful light skinned black women. Are there any darker skinned ones?
I mean they were young once. What is the reason the actresses have to be young right now?

I've seen beautiful darker skinned black women too. I just don't know their names.

Would you like to explain your point more clearly?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I mean they were young once. What is the reason the actresses have to be young right now?

I've seen beautiful darker skinned black women too. I just don't know their names.

Would you like to explain your point more clearly?

My point is, all the most beautiful black actresses that WE know are already famous and OLDER than Holland... very few are young and known like he is. Maybe give the young lady a chance? It's a play in NYC... Not on the big screen.

E-Cat

Two things:

2. That isn't a mustache. It's a dark upper lip. Common among darker skinned black folks.

So are you saying she’s pretty by today’s standards of beauty?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
John Bilbo John Bilbo the darker skinned actresses I think are beautiful include

Lashana Lunch
Teyonah Parris
Nicole Beharie
Keke Palmer

I'm forgetting some others I'm forgetting their names. But yeah. They're all older than Holland although Keke CAN look pretty young if she isn't wearing makeup.

John Bilbo

My point is, all the most beautiful black actresses that WE know are already famous and OLDER than Holland... very few are young and known like he is. Maybe give the young lady a chance? It's a play in NYC... Not on the big screen.
That's a fair point. Personally I find her eyes beautiful.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
That’s fair. However, doesn’t seem to be the case for most based on the response. So I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make.

And that's fair too. I guess I just find her cute self precious and just hate that most on here call her ugly.

It's like if someone called Scarlett Johansson or someone Halle "ugly" ... They both remind me of relatives I have.

And the young lady reminds me of one of my past relatives

Last edited:

E-Cat

And that's fair too. I guess I just find her cute self precious and just hate that most on here call her ugly.

It's like if someone called Scarlett Johansson or someone Halle "ugly" ... They both remind me of relatives I have.

And the young lady reminds me of one of my past relatives
I can sympathize with that. Though one of the advantages of having a non-mainstream beauty standard is that you can date people who are miles out of your (subjective) league since of the relative lack of competition. This is not meant to be snarky, I’m dead serious.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I can sympathize with that. Though one of the advantages of having a non-mainstream beauty standard is that you can date people who are miles out of your (subjective) league since of the relative lack of competition. This is not meant to be snarky, I’m dead serious.

I agree with you 100%. I have a friend who isn't rich or anything... Not classically handsome yet he pulled a BADDIE! They're happily married with 2 kids!

Also... The young lady in the OP looks so different (TO ME) in this picture here...

VnOje0u.jpg

E-Cat

I agree with you 100%. I have a friend who isn't rich or anything... Not classically handsome yet he pulled a BADDIE! They're happily married with 2 kids!

Also... The young lady in the OP looks so different (TO ME) in this picture here...

VnOje0u.jpg
I do like her eyes and big lips in general. But overall her features aren’t delicate enough for my tastes.

When I visited the UK, there were TONS of hot black babes that I liked.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I do like her eyes and big lips in general. But overall her features aren’t delicate enough for my tastes.

When I visited the UK, there were TONS of hot black babes that I liked.

One day I'm going to jolly old England... Just take in the sights and marvel at all the beauty... Oh and the buildings too.

Eiknarf

Two things:

Here’s two off the top of my head
mVtzL4Y.jpg
vwDLRKQ.jpg

The point is, if you read the article, they cast a brand new, unknown, newcomer.

So that means, if you want to go with unknown actresses, there are tons of really cute, attractive, black young actresses out there that could play and portray the “beautiful Juliet from Romeo and Juliet”.

You’re not just limited to the actresses that are in Hollywood. You have unlimited access to the entire world of CONVENTIONAL attractive black actresses

Just look on Instagram. There are hundreds of beautiful young black girls that would kill for that role

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
mVtzL4Y.jpg
vwDLRKQ.jpg

The point is, if you read the article, they cast a brand new, unknown, newcomer.

So that means, if you want to go with unknown actresses, there are tons of really cute, attractive, black young actresses out there that could play and portray the “beautiful Juliet from Romeo and Juliet”.

You’re not just limited to the actresses that are in Hollywood. You have unlimited access to the entire world of CONVENTIONAL attractive black actresses

Just look on Instagram. There are hundreds of beautiful young black girls that would kill for that role

Amandla is going to look like a kid forever. I still her as Rue from Hunger Games 1.

E-Cat

One day I'm going to jolly old England... Just take in the sights and marvel at all the beauty... Oh and the buildings too.
To answer your question about young beautiful black actresses, I thought e.g. Janelle Monae and the Naomi chick from LOST were cute. Neither of them are young anymore, but I'm sure the world hasn't run out of pretty black girls like them even though I can't name them (I don't follow the entertainment industry closely).

05T5pCJ.jpg
pHcRi6n.png

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
To answer your question about young beautiful black actresses, I thought e.g. Janelle Monae and the Naomi chick from LOST were cute. Neither of them are young anymore, but I'm sure the world hasn't run out of pretty black girls like them even though I can't name them (I don't follow the entertainment industry closely).

05T5pCJ.jpg
pHcRi6n.png

Quiet as kept... Janelle Monae is one of my dream women

Ozriel

M$FT
mVtzL4Y.jpg
vwDLRKQ.jpg

This is a stage play, not a movie. Your thread title was…poor.

People who go to watch a stage play in a famous theatre aren’t there to ogle Instagram baddies. Those random pretty ladies would probably struggle on stage. You don’t get the luxury of repeated takes etc.

They’d certainly cast otherwise if it were a movie.

But of course.

I already knew what I was about to see before even opening the thread.
Things have gotten so damn predictable that I don't even know how or why these mega corporations keep insisting on doing what they do.

Bah...

It’s a theatre play in London. On stage. The folks behind this aren’t a ‘mega corporation’.

Last edited:

Fbh

They really are...

Like the recent Predator movie. Native Americans vs a Predator is badass idea on paper. Unfortunately it got put through the modern day machine leaving us with a movie that leaned too hard on the strong female trope. Plus the acting was god awful, which made it even more cringe.

I think Echo suffered the same fate from what I've read.

I thought Prey was decent.
It actually avoids a lot of the more annoying tropes:
- The main character isn't perfect, in fact she fucks up during most of the movie and has to learn from her mistakes. The normal strong independent woman would have been the most skilled warrior and hunter in the tribe from the beginning, the movie would open with a whole bit about her humiliating the other hunters and she would only struggle because of external factors.
- The main secondary male character is shown as a skilled warrior and hunter. They don't have to make him incompetent or dumb to make her look better.
- While her being a woman is a factor in the story and the way others treat her, the movie is framed as her trying to prove she as in individual can be a good hunter, it's not presented as her being some activist trying to make a point about all women.

That said, yeah, the acting wasn't very good. I don't really like the main actress (I thought she was miscast in Legion too)

This is a stage play, not a movie. Your thread title was…poor.

People who go to watch a stage play in a famous theatre aren’t there to ogle Instagram baddies. Those random pretty ladies would probably struggle on stage. You don’t get the luxury of repeated takes etc.

They’d certainly cast otherwise if it were a movie.

It’s a theatre play in London. On stage. The folks behind this aren’t a ‘mega corporation’.

Nice try.

I didn't mean the theatrical play but the constant shite that gets shoved down our throats constantly for "reasons".
Movie/series gets bad reviews ? It must be due them racists and virgin alt-right white dudes®, amirite ?

So yeah, "mega-corporations" like Disney/Netflix/Amazon/whatever the fuck, they know what they're doing and they can shield themselves behind the typical everyone's a racist® accusation/excuse when and if X product fails (and they usually do apparently)

...but you already knew that, you're just trying to be cute as usual my guy ;)

mortal

Gold Member
There have been countless renditions of Romeo & Juliet from the theatre to movies and animation. It's been adapted so many times the characters have become cultural archetypes, so as far as I'm concerned, pretty much anyone can play these characters.
One of my favorire renditions of Romeo & Juliet is Baz Luhrman's 1996 film. That one has a black Mercutio and a Latino Tybalt.

Having said all that, they could at least get a cuter-looking girl for the role of Juliet. She does have a nice smile though.
For all I know she could be a phenomenal actress, but she looks like an average girl.
Unless the spin here is to challenge "conventional beauty standards", which is the impression I'm getting here.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Nice try.

I didn't mean the theatrical play but the constant shite that gets shoved down our throats constantly for "reasons".
Movie/series gets bad reviews ? It must be due them racists and virgin alt-right white dudes®, amirite ?

So yeah, "mega-corporations" like Disney/Netflix/Amazon/whatever the fuck, they know what they're doing and they can shield themselves behind the typical everyone's a racist® accusation/excuse when and if X product fails (and they usually do apparently)

...but you already knew that, you're just trying to be cute as usual my guy ;)

Don't be silly. This is a thread about a specific casting for a stage play. it has nothing to do with mega-corporations like you assumed, and a West End Stage play has nothing to do with Disney, Amazon, Netflix etc.

At least own it when you make a mistake and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom