• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new saints row footage

sangreal

according to BlimBlim at TXB its just the e3 build running on an alpha kit. (note: I'm not trying to make excuses for it, just pointing it out)

Also, there is nothing new revealed in this footage for those who don't feel like downloading it. Its new footage but it doesn't show anything that wasn't shown before.

I hope like hell that's on Xbox 1.

looks decent to me

sangreal

Kabuki Waq said:
the e3 demo that i saw ( the one with the hooker getting slaped by the pimp) looked great...is this the same video?

No, its not the same video. But they go over the exact same features (except they skip the pimping missions) and don't show anything new.

sangreal

PhatSaqs said:
They could call this GTA 360 and sell millions.

I don't know... it looks like GTA with just the side missions.

I think its also missing a lot of the latest GTA features like property ownership.

Gregory

Banned
Looks pretty darn spectacular, imo. The physics and shooting seems much better than in GTA. Shooting cars and stuff with that bazooka looks pretty amazing. All it needs is a steady framerate which it will for sure have at release.

Pimpwerx

His shorts need to move at least a tiny bit when he runs. But I really like the look of this game. I think the graphics are tight, and the physics model looks crazy. The collision detection needs some work, but for a game that's almost a total GTA clone (it's a good thing IMO), it's excusable. They need to have a good story and mission system in this game. But it looks to have the engine down cold. PEACE.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
the game does look great. no loads anywhere either, even transitioning to indoors :)

is this video at least better quality then the e3 shaky cam?

sangreal

op_ivy said:
the game does look great. no loads anywhere either, even transitioning to indoors :)

is this video at least better quality then the e3 shaky cam?

a little. Its on a tripod on straight on

This video was sanctioned I guess. The presenter even asks at one point if he is in the way of the camera.

just noticed in the video he says its running on alpha kits because the framerate is still too slow on beta kits but there should be a 30% improvement in visuals and the framerate will be better. Not sure how you measure visuals in a %, but thats what he said..

dorio

Banned
Pretty sad that he said they have it running on beta hardware but the framerate is too slow while the alpha framerate looks horrible also. Talk about a pathetic development environment next gen devs have to work under.

dorio said:
Pretty sad that he said they have it running on beta hardware but the framerate is too slow while the alpha framerate looks horrible also. Talk about a pathetic development environment next gen devs have to work under.

It comes from the switch in processors.

The beta - final processors are terrible on Floating point branching, so a lot of code has to be optimised, especially AI. It has nothing to do with it being omg wtf weaker. Trust me, it just takes a little getting used to, and some rethinking of your code. Something a lot of people aren't used to yet.

sangreal

dorio said:
Pretty sad that he said they have it running on beta hardware but the framerate is too slow while the alpha framerate looks horrible also.

er, thats what I was trying to say. The demo is shown on alpha kits because the framerate was too poor on beta kits to demo.

dorio

Banned
flarkminator said:
It comes from the switch in processors.

The beta - final processors are terrible on Floating point branching, so a lot of code has to be optimised, especially AI. It has nothing to do with it being omg wtf weaker. Trust me, it just takes a little getting used to, and some rethinking of your code. Something a lot of people aren't used to yet.
I hope you're right. Microsoft better find some magic bullet to get that stuff working and let devs know about it because the situation is really looking pathetic this close to launch.

dorio said:
I hope you're right. Microsoft better find some magic bullet to get that stuff working and let devs know about it because the situation is really looking pathetic this close to launch.

All the devs know about it. Look at Oblivion, it runs just fine. Its just a matter of changing how you write your code, some devs are going to have a harder time at this than others.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Self shadowing makes a hell of a lot of difference.

That looked fun.

Me and all the GTA fans got confused when he walked into a building and it was a building, and not a loading screen.

golem

Stinkles said:

That looked fun.

Me and all the GTA fans got confused when he walked into a building and it was a building, and not a loading screen.
:lol yeah when he went up to the door and it didnt open i thought, what is he looking for, a dialog to press to load the building?

sangreal

Stinkles said:

I still find it weird as hell watching that. What really got to me was when he leaves the store in this video after robbing it. The E3 demo only showed him going from outdoors to indoors and it didn't make as much of an impression on me.

FightyF

Banned
Dracos said:
I hope like hell that's on Xbox 1.

Someone's been bitten by the diminishing returns bug!

I feel sorry for you.

sn50138f.jpg

Zeo

Banned
Before I watch the video, I have to say I like the flash "screenshot" on the left side of that site. Heh.

More sites should do that.

EDIT: Watched it.

Looks like complete crap. ANYONE thinking this looks good is lying to themselves. Could easily be done on Xbox no problem. Maybe a couple TINY details wouldn't be as good.

"You can unlock 6 other homies."

Jesus christ.

brocke

Banned
Exactly what again is original for Saints Row when compared to GTA other than the various side missions etc?

If I was Rockstar I wouldn't be too happy. Some of the graphical elements look too similar.

Zeo

Banned
brocke said:
Exactly what again is original for Saints Row when compared to GTA other than the various side missions etc?

If I was Rockstar I wouldn't be too happy. Some of the graphical elements look too similar.

Some? It really does look almost IDENTICAL in every way.

FightyF

Banned
Zeo said:
Before I watch the video, I have to say I like the flash "screenshot" on the left side of that site. Heh.

More sites should do that.

EDIT: Watched it.

Looks like complete crap. ANYONE thinking this looks good is lying to themselves. Could easily be done on Xbox no problem. Maybe a couple TINY details wouldn't be as good.

"You can unlock 6 other homies."

Jesus christ.

Another victim, who couldn't tell the difference between a lightmap and a real-time shadow.

Fight for Freeform said:
Another victim, who couldn't tell the difference between a lightmap and a real-time shadow.

C'est la Vie. I'll certainly buy it, if i hear that the story isn't complete crap.

Not to mention its also a GTA with a fucking bad ass shooting system finally. GTA has some of the worst controlls ever.

looks like next-gen San Andreas which is good, but I'll just wait for the real next-gen GTA which should assuredly put this to shame.

PhatSaqs

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
Why do people compare games like this to GTA. Has there ever been a game that lived up to it? I don't think so.
Yeah. There have been a BUNCH of games that look exactly like GTA. Down to the font even...

mckmas8808 said:
Why do people compare games like this to GTA. Has there ever been a game that lived up to it? I don't think so.

Well honestly, some games I can see your point, but I mean. Seriously, did you watch the video, this isn't LIKE Gta, this IS Gta. Heh.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
GTA is about a lot more than the format and interface...which this is obviously apeing in every way possible.

There is a level of satire to the orginal series that has never been duplicated and is missed by it's detractors, its imitators and probably a fair margin of its fans.

Dracos

krypt0nian said:
Didn't watch it, did ya? :lol

Uh, yeah I did. We talking about the same vid with the guy calling his homie :lol , and she shows up in this shitty green car. If so, then my original statement still stands. If this type of game floats your boat then so be it. But how anyone is in love with these graphics and touting Next-Gen is beyond me. Sure it looks better than Xbox 1, the draw distance is nice, but overall this is a far cry from what I expected next-gen to be.

My opinion. Call the guard dogs off. It's ok I'n not walking in your yard.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Dracos said:
Uh, yeah I did. We talking about the same vid with the guy calling his homie :lol , and she shows up in this shitty green car. If so, then my original statement still stands. If this type of game floats your boat then so be it. But how anyone is in love with these graphics and touting Next-Gen is beyond me. Sure it looks better than Xbox 1, the draw distance is nice, but overall this is a far cry from what I expected next-gen to be.

I'm not that impressed with the game, but the physics, transistions in environments, etc. look NOTHING like this gen.

newsguy

Dracos said:

I just don't get it. Here's an undoctored screen for XBOX (True Crime 2). Both are GTA "clones"

1124468064.jpg

Zer0

Banned
cars dissapear on the distance.pop up and generation of the scenery.not impressed,remins me of driver 3.not a good thing

Zer0

Banned
Stinkles said:

That looked fun.

yes..and bad framerate

This just made my purchase list. The 2nd half of the vid just rocked.

Am I the only one getting a feeling that -from a gameplay standpoint- this game might actually surpass GTA? Too early to tell, but it's looking really good.

Gregory

Banned
Sal Paradise Jr said:
This just made my purchase list. The 2nd half of the vid just rocked.

Am I the only one getting a feeling that -from a gameplay standpoint- this game might actually surpass GTA? Too early to tell, but it's looking really good.

Yeah, just running around with that bazooka looked more fun than anything I`ve done in the GTA games. Plus the shooting in GTA is totally botched and just no fun at all. Here it looks to be implemented much better.

Gregory

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
the other long e3 video looked way more impressive IMO.

Really? It was the exact same build on same hardware. Looked identical to me, just did some different things.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Rockstar knows it needs to fix its graphics and gunplay. Saints Row looks like it took a robust 3rd person shooter scheme and then added the GTA sandbox, which IMO makes it better in that regard already. Everything that's cool about GTA gets ruined when you actually fight.

But GTA is probably going to look better than this next-gen. Probably. You never know.

Top Bottom