• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 'semi-solid' battery could recharge EVs as fast as pumping gas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/08/new-semi-solid-battery-for-evs-could-recharge-as-fast-as-pumpi/

semi-solid-battery2.jpg

Researchers at MIT reckon they've struck oil. In fact, you're looking at what they call "Cambridge crude" -- a substance that could halve the weight and cost of EV batteries and make them quicker to charge too. The black goo is packed with a high concentration of energy in the form of particles suspended in a liquid electrolyte. When separated by a filter, these particles function as mobile electrodes that can be pumped into and around a system before the energy is released. So instead of waiting up to 20 hours to juice your Nissan Leaf, you could potentially just pump this pre-charged substance into it -- rather like dirty old gas. Until now, no such "semi-solid flow cell" has been able to hold useful quantities of energy, but this stuff literally oozes with it. Not only could it power EVs, it could even be used for large-scale electricity storage for utilities. The researchers insist this energy revolution is years off -- but when it comes, there will be blood.

Cyan

Banned
Sounds awesome.

But reserving judgment; seems like these things always turn out exaggerated and overblown.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm still confused on whether you need to pump in more of this stuff each time and the whole of the goo becomes energy and disappears completely, if it comes with it already in and you just put a jack in to charge it, or you have to pump it out, charge it, then put it back in.

Flo_Evans

Trojita said:
I'm still confused on whether you need to pump in more of this stuff each time and the whole of the goo becomes energy and disappears completely, if it comes with it already in and you just put a jack in to charge it, or you have to pump it out, charge it, then put it back in.

Sounds like you pump the goo in.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Hopefully this and the other next-gen battery technology bears some tasty-ass fruit soon. It's a very crucial step in getting away from fossil fuels.

CrunchyB

Battery technology is such a limiting factor in a lot of applications, this sounds very interesting.

Trojita said:

The problem right now is that charging takes a very long time.

The "goo" holds a charge. So at the gas station you drain the battery of it's contents and fill it up again with already charged liquid. The spent liquid is then recharged (slowly).

You could also swap the entire battery, but those things are big, heavy and very expensive.

Zombie James said:
So we could be filing up our cars with black ooze? There must be waste with this method...
The main article doesn't go into how the ooze is regenerated but the idea is that you'd pump out the old ooze or swap out tanks like you would a tire. Old ooze would presumably be either recharged at the station or sent back to some recharge facility. There'd be waste (ion the sense that everything is wasteful at some level) but in a "future energy" society this would completely eliminate one of the major benefits of using oil over electricity.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This is a horrible idea. The 2nd Ninja Turtles movie showed us all what could happen if we start dabbling with ooze.

Seems like every few months there's a new potential breakthrough in energy production/consumption/storage/etc., and either they don't pan out as the early articles suggest, or they're just overblown hype by media types. So for now, "Sounds cool, but, still going to Shell tomorrow."

methane47

Hmmm to me there are some issues with this system.

How does payment work out?

Situation A:
Car battery is almost empty. Head to the gas station and pump out all my ooze. Pump in charged ooze. Pay the bill of lets say $40 and drive away happy.

Situation B: Car battery is half full, but im about to take a long trip on the highway, i go to the gas station. Pump out all my ooze and pump in new ooze. How much do i pay? I dont think i should pay $40 again since it was half charged. but i have to discard ALL my ooze I can't top off indefinitely because the ooze doesn't actually go anywhere. So gas stations must work out some complicated system to figure out how much you have to pay?

How would that work?
Only way i could think is not have one sigualar ooze tank. but multiple ooze canisters. Where the Car would use Ooze from canisters in a First in First out method. That way when you get to the refueling station they just check a dial or something on the canister and just replace the ones that need to be replaced and charge you accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom