• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sonic Gems Movie and Screens

TheTurtleTitan said:
I hope Sonic CD is as good as everyone says. It's the only 2D Sonic I haven't played.

You're probably going to be very disappointed. All the things going for it then, FMV and CD music, are not going to blow you now (though I still like both of those in the game, in a nostalgic way). And if you were trained on the slick gameplay of Sonic 2 and 3, Sonic CD will feel sloppy... because it is.

SEGA Europe said:
Three Sonic games previously only available on SEGA Saturn, Arcade and Mega CD:
• Sonic the Fighters
• Sonic CD
• Sonic R

Six Sega Game Gear games:
• Sonic the Hedgehog 2
• Sonic Spinball
• Sonic the Hedgehog Triple Trouble
• Sonic Drift Racing
• Tails' Skypatrol
• Tails Adventure

Plus additional unlockable games to discover along the way...

http://www.sega-europe.com/en/Game/172.htm > Features

mwa ha ha ha.

If that means SoR on the PAL version, may I suggest GC Ver + freeloader

belgurdo said:
Maybe you didn't know how to play it or something because it felt fine to me, and I've played every title in the series

Oh please. This has nothing to do about game difficulty (the game is easy, like the Genny Sonics), it's about level design, physics, slowdowns and scrolling. Sonic CD is definitely sloppy.

Culex

Banned
Instigator said:
Oh please. This has nothing to do about game difficulty (the game is easy, like the Genny Sonics), it's about level design, physics, slowdowns and scrolling. Sonic CD is definitely sloppy.

You must have never played the Sega-CD version.

Instigator said:
All the things going for it then, FMV and CD music, are not going to blow you now (though I still like both of those in the game, in a nostalgic way). And if you were trained on the slick gameplay of Sonic 2 and 3, Sonic CD will feel sloppy... because it is.

Note: I am 12

Culex said:
You must have never played the Sega-CD version.

It's the version I first got and been playing with it for years. And it's not like I was distracted by other games on the Sega CD.

It seems you are confusing recognizing flaws in a game and not liking a game. The two are not mutually exclusive. Sonic CD has flaws which are immediately evident when compared to other Sonics.

ckohler

I don't understand this hate towards Sonic CD's stages. I had more fun completing all of the time-attacks (and unlocking stuff) in Sonic CD than I have in any other game since.

D-X

radioheadrule83 said:
http://www.sega-europe.com/en/Game/172.htm > Features

mwa ha ha ha.

If that means SoR on the PAL version, may I suggest GC Ver + freeloader

Ungfortunately it's probably referring to the Vectorman games plus it carries has a U rating (since when did they change from ELSPA to BBFC ratings anyway?)

B000A432FG.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Rlan

That's just it though, they DON'T use the BBFC rating. The box is still a mock, and some stooge put on a "U" rating instead of what it should be.

ckohler said:
I don't understand this hate towards Sonic CD's stages. I had more fun completing all of the time-attacks (and unlocking stuff) in Sonic CD than I have in any other game since.

Maybe because people expected more than a remake of Sonic 1 (and Sonic CD came AFTER Sonic 2 and a few months before Sonic 3)? Maybe because the time travelling feature, while great on paper, actually means a bunch of samey levels that aren't really worth playing through (stick to past levels)? Maybe there are better Sonic games, on Genesis in particular. :)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
ckohler said:

I just wanted to say that I love your avatar. Heathcliff was a fricken awesome show. :)

Indeed. Can't seem to find the Catillac Cats episodes online, though, and Boomerang only showed the ones with Dingbat's Creeps and Marmaduke, not the Heathcliff/Catillac version.

Anyway, one of my big problems with Sonic CD's time travelling was that there was virtually nothing to do in the Future, and it was kind of a punishment if you needed to do something in the Past, because then you'd need to locate two time travel signs. The Past had both the machine to trash and Metal Sonic messing with the wildlife, the Future... well, if it was bad, it sucked a bit, if you fixed it, it was kind of pretty and sometimes had extra rings.

So the time travelling should've probably been limited to Past and Present for Acts 1 and 2, with 3 being either the Good Future or the Bad Future (I think it already is, but there's little-to-no point of going to the Future in the first two acts.)

Kulock said:
Anyway, one of my big problems with Sonic CD's time travelling was that there was virtually nothing to do in the Future, and it was kind of a punishment if you needed to do something in the Past, because then you'd need to locate two time travel signs. The Past had both the machine to trash and Metal Sonic messing with the wildlife, the Future... well, if it was bad, it sucked a bit, if you fixed it, it was kind of pretty and sometimes had extra rings.

So the time travelling should've probably been limited to Past and Present for Acts 1 and 2, with 3 being either the Good Future or the Bad Future (I think it already is, but there's little-to-no point of going to the Future in the first two acts.)

The only point is to see the cosmetic changes and hear the new tunes. If you're obsessed with collecting rings, visiting all 4 time zones might be tempting, but the 10-minute timer simply doesn't give you enough time to do any serious ring collecting.

Furthermore, the way the levels spread through time zones merely undermines level design in the game, either giving you a samey feeling or bringing down the quality of the levels themselves. The supposed feature where you might see an unreachable area/item in one time zone and it becomes available in another time zone is overstated and ultimately pointless.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Rlan said:
That's just it though, they DON'T use the BBFC rating. The box is still a mock, and some stooge put on a "U" rating instead of what it should be.

I thought that rating was looking odd.

D-X

Dachande said:
Which means we're probably getting the PAL-converted US version. Which means Sonic CD's soundtrack will probably be the US one.

*orders Japanese version*

Tough one to call. The orginal Mega CD version had the Japanese soundtrack so surely the licences are in place (the reason given for the lack of swappable music). However the PC version had the US soundtrack in Europe. But going on laziness I'd say Europe would get the US version.

Dachande

D-X said:
Tough one to call. The orginal Mega CD version had the Japanese soundtrack so surely the licences are in place (the reason given for the lack of swappable music). However the PC version had the US soundtrack in Europe. But going on laziness I'd say Europe would get the US version.

The PC version has the US soundtrack in Japan, too. But you're right, Sega Europe won't change the music to the Japanese one because of laziness.

If Gems Collection's just getting a straight Sonic CD PC port, maybe the Japanese version will have the US music too. Still, it's probably worth it for Streets of Rage, so what the hell.

Dachande said:
Which means we're probably getting the PAL-converted US version. Which means Sonic CD's soundtrack will probably be the US one.

*orders Japanese version*

If the Screenshots of the title screens were evidence enough, that would make Vectorman the only game SEGA are referring to when they say
".. and additional games to unlock along the way"

Actually, there are two Vectorman titles being included, so that does qualify as "games."

But the US (and assumingly EU) aren't even getting Bonanza Bros. No, it's not the best game ever, but that's one more added to a list of titles that aren't being echoed or replaced in the US version, just merely cut out.

What is the cheapest place to order Gems Collection (Japanese GCN version) at, anyway? Play-Asia?

They all seem to be around $49, and Play-Asia probably won't let me use my $5 off coupon since the item price is $49.90, not $50.

Ooh, scratch that, Yes-Asia's price is only $42.49. Shipping prices are decent, too.

Too bad the Japanese box is so... busy. The US's front is much cleaner and shows more of the great image. All well, small price to pay.

Dachande

Kulock said:
They all seem to be around $49, and Play-Asia probably won't let me use my $5 off coupon since the item price is $49.90, not $50.

$50 including shipping, so yeah, you could use the coupon.

I'd hold off on importing....until we know for SURE the Japanese version has the Japanese soundtrack.

Unless you're in it for the Streets of Rage games. :)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
mdm said:
A better question:

<GaimeGuy> Didn't Quest make Quest 64?

http://forums.gaming-age.com/search.php?searchid=358274

[20:49:18] <mdm> <GaimeGuy> Didn't Quest make Quest 64?
[22:48:26] <mdm> <GaimeGuy> Didn't Quest make Quest 64?
[17:31:58] <mdm> <GaimeGuy> Didn't Quest make Quest 64?
[13:19:09] <mdm> <GaimeGuy> Didn't Quest make Quest 64?
[16:25:30] <mdm> <GaimeGuy> Didn't Quest make Quest 64?
[15:42:04] <mdm> <GaimeGuy> Didn't Quest make Quest 64?
[17:00:09] <mdm> <GaimeGuy> Didn't Quest make Quest 64?
[19:17:26] <mdm> <GaimeGuy> Didn't Quest make Quest 64?
[17:40:24] <mdm> <GaimeGuy> Didn't Quest make Quest 64?
[21:20:11] <mdm> <GaimeGuy> Didn't Quest make Quest 64?
[21:39:09] <mdm> <GaimeGuy> Didn't Quest make Quest 64?
[15:27:35] <mdm> <GaimeGuy> Didn't Quest make Quest 64?
[22:19:53] <mdm> <GaimeGuy> Didn't Quest make Quest 64?
[22:30:05] <mdm> <GaimeGuy> Didn't Quest make Quest 64?
[22:51:49] <mdm> <GaimeGuy> Didn't Quest make Quest 64?
[22:51:50] <mdm> <GaimeGuy> Didn't Quest make Quest 64?
[22:51:51] <mdm> <GaimeGuy> Didn't Quest make Quest 64?
[22:54:21] <mdm> <GaimeGuy> Didn't Quest make Quest 64?
[22:58:34] <mdm> <GaimeGuy> Didn't Quest make Quest 64?
[20:43:23] <mdm> Not really. What MrBlonde says is irrelevant, anyone who feels no connection to the <GaimeGuy> Didn't Quest make Quest 64? quote doesn't have a true appreciation for videogames and doesn't matter. Who cares about people who don't matter?
[21:41:51] <mdm> <GaimeGuy> Didn't Quest make Quest 64?
[15:40:40] <mdm> <GaimeGuy> Didn't Quest make Quest 64?
[21:10:06] <mdm> <GaimeGuy> Didn't Quest make Quest 64?
[21:29:26] <mdm> <GaimeGuy> Didn't Quest make Quest 64?
[20:26:27] <mdm> <GaimeGuy> Didn't Quest make Quest 64?
[22:57:04] <mdm> <GaimeGuy> Didn't Quest make Quest 64?
[23:00:17] <mdm> <GaimeGuy> Didn't Quest make Quest 64?

I get the fucking picture, mdm.

Top Bottom