• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New to Halo - where do I start?

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
so I'm downloading Halo MCC and Halo 5 via gamepass on my XSX. I've never played a Halo game. I had 2 questions:

1. What Halo games should I play the single player campaign on? Should I just start at Halo Reach? Is Halo CE even worth playing since I have no nostalgia for it and it's like 20 years old? Is Halo Reach even worth playing nowadays given that is a 10 year old FPS?

2. What Halo games are the best for multiplayer? Which has the strongest community? Halo 5? I also heard from a fellow member that the social community on Halo MCC is great. Which Halo games on MCC are the most popular?

Basically it seems like a lot of the value of MCC comes from the nostalgia of replaying these older games. I'm just wondering what games will provide the most fun in 2020 for someone who has no memories of the franchise growing up.

Hey peso! Glad you made the plunge into the MCC collection. As for my opinion as a Halo fan since 2001 I would say Reach or CE is a great start. Playing CE will give you a great intro of the basics of Halo and it's mechanic and world. Don't be fooled, CE still holds up extremely well in controls and fun gameplay. IMO for campaign you should start there but Reach is the true beginning of the story and perfectly fits into the first game.

As for MP my recommendation is that Halo 3 is the best and has the most passionate community. Reach is also pretty good but the mechanics are quite different than Halo 1-3. Most fans dislike Halo 4 MP and 5 is a mixed bag. I would play those last after going through the original titles.

Hope that helped you out!

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Like Star Wars. Play in release order. 1, 2, 3, ODST, and Reach. Use the original graphics for the first game, the remaster is a mess in that it deviates heavily from the original art in some places. ODST is a spin off that takes place during the events of 2 and Reach is a prequel much like Rogue One.

After that Halo 4 and 5 are 343’s titles. I’m not a fan as they make pretty massive changes to the lore and are difficult to follow without reading a ton of novels as opposed to the original trilogy which are self contained stories.

MP wise the original trilogy is the best but dated. Like going back to CS Source. 4 is terrible. 2 Anniversary is fantastic but there isn’t much to it. 5 is ok but it plays nothing like Halo to me, it’s neat but it would be like releasing a new Quake or Doom that plays like Titanfall or COD. Not satisfying as a long term fan. A large contingent of fans want a return to form like Halo 2 Anniversary, classic precision based arena combat with a heavy emphasis on team play. With games like Valorant and Overwatch behind popular I think there is a market for it but the studio has been trying unsuccessfully to court the COD audience for a decade and has lost the hardcore following they built from 01-11 as a result.

Last edited:

FeldMonster

For competitive (ranked) multiplayer, go straight to Halo 5. It has the best matchmaking algorithm, (go ahead, find and read Microsoft Research's white paper on TruSkill2) and from my experience, the largest population.

For social multiplayer, go into MCC, select all games, and as you learn what you do and don't like, de-select gametypes (auto slayer, capture the flag, territories, SWAT, etc.), and games. I for example, skip Halo 1 and 3. I hate Halo 1 PVP with a passion, and Halo 3 is disproportionately popular, and I dislike its gunplay and maps.

For single player, simply go chronologically though the campaigns (i.e. complete Reach after ODST, and before 4).

Don't listen to the negative comments here and elsewhere about which campaigns/multiplayer are good and bad, just play them, have fun, and form your own opinion.

Start with Reach... Then make your way up to Halo CE, 2, 3/ODST, 4 and 5. Don't listen to some folks here, Halo 4 isnt bad.. The MP was. Halo 5 is the worst but just play it.
I played the campaign to 4, not 5. Multiplayer was really good for 5, not so much for 4. The Halo podcast that came out was pretty great, but a complete letdown when you started playing 5. Wonder WTF happened that they deviated so much from that tone. Complete disappointment. The multiplayer was good tho.

I played the campaign to 4, not 5. Multiplayer was really good for 5, not so much for 4. The Halo podcast that came out was pretty great, but a complete letdown when you started playing 5. Wonder WTF happened that they deviated so much from that tone. Complete disappointment. The multiplayer was good tho.
I can't seem to have the motivation of playing Halo 5 campaign... I really like Halo 5s multiplayer! Feels like a drag on the story.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Halo 4 isnt bad.
nwrRcoG.gif

Nooooo, Potato Chip PRO Potato Chip PRO , don't do this to me.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Without nestalgia, this games do not play well. Maybe start with 3? 4 and 5 were horrible, so don't go there...

Tschumi

Honestly?

Just play them through until you burn out on the gameplay. That'll be a decent, organic way to do it. I hear your enthusiasm would wink out around Halo 4.

I need you to hear this: Halo CE on legendary is only fun with a co-op buddy - ideally split screen... If you're playing it alone, it'll be really boring, because zones you're meant to blow through in minutes will take many minutes and a fair number of reloads. Hell even Heroic might be too annoying solo...

While I can agree that the arena MP in 5 is better than 4 (excluding BTB) , it just dose not feel, look, or sound like halo to me. I couldn't get into it no matter how tight the gameplay was.

Banned
play the games in release order!

Halo, Halo 2, Halo 3, ODST, Reach, H̴͔̲̳̮̫͎̤̗̉̄̒̇͠͝a̵̧̬͈̕l̴̛̳̀̿o̶͔̖̦͎̾͒͊͆͒̀͊̅̕ ̵̵̵̵̛̛̛̛̝̬̝̬̝̬̝̬̒̎͗̒̎͗̒̎͗̒̎͗͝͝͝͝4̵̺̼͒̄̀̉̉͑̀͠ , Halo 5

that way you will appreciate the gameplay changes the way they were designed.
playing Reach first (because it's a prequel to 1) will be jarring when you then continue with halo 1

Last edited:

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Release order. Always.

Halo: CE, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, Halo Reach, Halo 4, and Halo 5. None of them are bad games, even the 343i developed ones, so just enjoy the legacy of it all.

Graciaus

Play them in release order but stop at Reach. The games are made from a different company after that and they don't understand Halo at all.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Combat Evolved is definitely worth checking out first. It’s dated, but it holds up very well. Take it all in slowly. The level design is very memorable. You’ll move at a snail’s pace if you’re an avid FPS player. ADS on only a couple weapons. CE is worth playing first because the pistol is one of Halo’s greatest weapons. I wouldn’t start with Reach until you’ve witnessed/played CE. Halo 2 has some of the greatest Halo multiplayer maps in all of Halo’s history. If you get to play CE first, check out the multiplayer maps. You can see where they took inspiration from one another until Halo 3/4 came out.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Shoot small groups of Elites, Grunts, and Jackals. Throw grenades. Time melee attacks right after you empty your clip.

ExhaustedDrearyBighornsheep-max-1mb.gif
Wow. I feel sorry for "gamers" like you. Sure you're not a game journalist?

You could literally say the same about pretty much any franchise and just replace x with y.

I just did the same thing, downloaded the MCC and played the games in release order. All of them are actually great games, I barely touched any other games while I was playing those through. And I have (and had then) a lot of new or recent games on my backlog.

And both Halo 4 and 5 are great games too. I did play Halo 5 before playing MCC games, and I had completed Halo CE back in the day on PC and Halo 4 on 360 some years ago.

I was actually quite surprised how awesome all those old Halo games actually were. Some have claimed those have the perfect combination of guns, grenades and melee, and I would agree with them. So don't forget grenades and melee!

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Order of release: CE, 2, 3, ODST, Reach, 4, 5

Chronological: Reach, CE, 2, ODST, 3, 4, 5

CE, 2, 3, ODST, Reach = Bungie
4 + 5 = 343i

I played them in order of release. ODST/Reach can be skipped cause they aren't really part of the main story with Master Chief if that's all you want. If you're enjoying Halo then by all means play them. I thought they sucked. The Bungie games were OK but quite dated. I didn't play them until 2015 so don't have any nostalgia for them which clouds many peoples opinions. I far more enjoyed the 343i games.

Last edited:
I'm siding with release order! There was just something special about capping off the Halo saga with Halo Reach at the very end. Hearing about Reach without ever knowing what exactly happened on Reach during the first three games, made it all the more special!

Also Halo 3 > Halo 2, hands down.

Wizz-Art

I also never played an Halo game before (reason being that I'm not a SF lover and thought the franchise was not for me) and just finished The Master Chief Collection a couple of weeks ago. I went through the campaigns in release order and I must say that the franchise really grew on me as I progressed through the games. I loved Halo 4 and Reach the most but I still have to go through Halo 5 some day.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
As always when someone asks such a question... release order. That is how the story was written and that is how the gameplay evolved. There was no one in the background writing the story arc of Halo who the decided to split it into an unknown amount of parts and then said the games were to be released like that. The story was written as it went on. So there is really no need to go through the series any other way but how the games were released.

Banned
I also never played an Halo game before (reason being that I'm not a SF lover and thought the franchise was not for me) and just finished The Master Chief Collection a couple of weeks ago. I went through the campaigns in release order and I must say that the franchise really grew on me as I progressed through the games. I loved Halo 4 and Reach the most but I still have to go through Halo 5 some day.

religious the simpsons GIF

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
FFS...I just bought a Series X at Target this morning.

Haven't owned an XBox since the OG unit.

I'm about to GamePass for 3 months and play a few Halos until Fortnite beckons.

Play in release order. The Bungie Halos have self-contained, coherent stories, but 343 committed the cardinal sin of burying important plot points and characters in other media, primarily novels.

I know it sounds like heresy to some on here, but Halo 4's plot was actually pretty good, you just needed to read 10 or so novels to know what the fuck was going on.

Top Bottom