• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New trailer for Shin Megami Tensei V

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
12 days

Waiting In Line GIF

Himuro

I'm a massive SMT fan. I've watched trailers for this and it doesn't nothing for me. I'm pretty bitter/jaded/cynical towards gaming and haven't liked the direction Atlus has taken SMT and Persona. It's hard for me to want to give it a chance and I might skip it. The thing I love about SMT is its horror storytelling. The trailer for SMTV looked far too anime/mainstream for my tastes. It didn't seem horror at all. Is SMTV even a dungeon crawler? I haven't followed this game at all and I'm highly skeptical.

Watching the trailers for SMTV the tone is strikingly different than the Megaten I grew up loving. It's just time to accept that old Atlus is dead. It's hard for me to swallow but it's true.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It didn't seem horror at all. Is SMTV even a dungeon crawler?
You saw the trailers right, there are dungeons, we saw them in trailers.
AAdvrHAACglx.jpg

I'm opposite of you, I'm also huge fan of SMT and I'm loving everything I'm seeing so far.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Who is fucking pumped for a new SMT soundtrack though?
Guys, you know that lots of battle themes have leaked today? Search for "Neos Antrax SMT" on Youtube if you want a peak.

They sound great, but maybe not as great as SMT IV's battle themes. But hey, maybe thw new ones end up growing up on us and being seen as better, who knows.

Last edited:
Guys, you know that lots of battle themes have leaked today? Search for "Neos Antrax SMT" on Youtube if you want a peak.

They sound great, but maybe not as great as SMT IV's battle themes. But hey, maybe thw new ones end up growing up on us and being seen as better, who knows.
I'm typically more partial to the ambiance/area tunes myself. That's what I'm hyped about. Will check them out though, thanks!

Danjin44

Is this game a direct sequel to Nocturne? I haven't played any of these before and was thinking of hopping in with V, or will I be totally lost?
No it not. Just like FF and Tales, each game has its own contain story. Only SMTII was sequel to original SMT and SMTIV Apocalypse took place during and after Neutral route in original SMTIV.

Himuro

You saw the trailers right, there are dungeons, we saw them in trailers.
AAdvrHAACglx.jpg

I'm opposite of you, I'm also huge fan of SMT and I'm loving everything I'm seeing so far.
Just because it has dungeons doesn't mean it's a dungeon crawler. Old SMT puts dungeons design first.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Just because it has dungeons doesn't mean it's a dungeon crawler. Old SMT puts dungeons design first.
I don’t know what to tell you, if you are “bitter/jaded/cynical towards gaming” then nothing will make you happy no matter what so you better off just skipping this game.

I other hand loving everything I have seen so far and I’m gonna enjoy the crap out of it once it comes out.

Last edited:

Himuro

I don’t know what to tell you, if you are “bitter/jaded/cynical towards gaming” then nothing will make you happy no matter what so you better off just skipping this game.

I other hand loving everything I have seen so far and I’m gonna enjoy the crap out of it once it comes out.

That's reasonable. I wouldn't say "nothing will make me happy". I'm just skeptical after Persona 5, which I thought was really bad. My concern is that Atlus will try to cater to the Persona fanbase rather than the traditional SMT fanbase. I think it's a pretty valid concern.

Danjin44

That's reasonable. I wouldn't say "nothing will make me happy". I'm just skeptical after Persona 5, which I thought was really bad. My concern is that Atlus will try to cater to the Persona fanbase rather than the traditional SMT fanbase. I think it's a pretty valid concern.
Go to polygon’s preview of this game, the person previewing this game is criticizing it because it’s not like Persona 5.

trust me this game is nothing like Persona, it’s design much more closer to Nocturne, the devs said this themselves.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Y'all going strength or magic build? Or try an all-rounder?

I'm gonna be boring and make my guy a big chungus physical damage dealer.

Danjin44

Just like Apocalypse Hama and Mudo magic does do proper damage, so it might worth it going magic build but I haven't decided yet.

All rounder is never good idea, you do more damage if focus on either magic build or physical build.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

Physical skills cost mp, so I might go magic build.

Danjin44

Coming off the back of Nocturne I might go Phys/Agility.
In Nocturne physical attacks were crazy effective and on top of that from few exception there were not that many bosses who had resistance to physical attacks.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I also pretty much broke IV by having a demon skill morph into Megido really early and slapping that right on Flynn. I did a magic build on Nanashi in Apocalypse too, time to mix it up.

Last edited:

Danjin44

FUCK YES I'M GETTING SMTV NOW
I don't know why you thought SMTV would go Persona route, none of SMT games including IV were nothing like Persona.

If anything SMTV is combination of Nocturne and SMTIV.

Last edited:

Isa

Man I saw some reviews dropping and got confused thinking this was releasing tomorrow, but alas I mixed the week up. I'm gonna go have a sulk now. Looks great.

One thing I really appreciate the Big N for is having the occasional big rpg to finish off the year, like with Xenoblade Chronicles 2 in 2017.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Man I saw some reviews dropping and got confused thinking this was releasing tomorrow, but alas I mixed the week up. I'm gonna go have a sulk now. Looks great.

One thing I really appreciate the Big N for is having the occasional big rpg to finish off the year, like with Xenoblade Chronicles 2 in 2017.

Yep, nothing like waking up on a holiday weekday, grabbin a hot coffee/tea, and spending some hours wrapped in a blanket focused on a jrpg. Maximum comfy.

• Love
Reactions: Isa

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Baka gaijin reviews going on about grinding as usual, git gud and strategize already. Lol @ it missing "Persona charm", just gtfo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom