• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New trailer for Shin Megami Tensei V

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I think this will be the last time I give this series a chance to win me over. Got IV and wasn't into it. That's my whole history. But we'll see if that Switch magic rubs off on this one too. I've been in the mood for JRPGs recently a little more than usual, so I'm going in with an open mind.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I think this will be the last time I give this series a chance to win me over. Got IV and wasn't into it. That's my whole history. But we'll see if that Switch magic rubs off on this one too. I've been in the mood for JRPGs recently a little more than usual, so I'm going in with an open mind.
Well that depends, what part didn’t like about SMTIV?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Well that depends, what part didn’t like about SMTIV?
Been years so I don't remember it that well. I wasn't really that into any of it honestly lol. I was mostly into it when I could actually see my character and move around. The battles didn't really captivate me (even as much as they have in Dungeon Encounters). It worked fine. Story didn't grab me yet, but seemed fine. The art is good. Ended up running into some gated boss fight that was just substantially stronger than anything I'd faced up until that point. I don't skip fights or exploration, so it must have meant I needed to just leave and grind for hours. I kind of lost interest around that point. Demon negotiation or whatever doesn't do a ton for me, but it's fine to collect them.

I'm going into this with very low expectations, but will try to enjoy it. Seems you can see your character and demons more, which helps me enjoy the game. I know the series is known for difficulty, but it's just not clicking with me as a good or interesting difficulty. But I have very little experience with it.

Danjin44

Been years so I don't remember it that well. I wasn't really that into any of it honestly lol. I was mostly into it when I could actually see my character and move around. The battles didn't really captivate me (even as much as they have in Dungeon Encounters). It worked fine. Story didn't grab me yet, but seemed fine. The art is good. Ended up running into some gated boss fight that was just substantially stronger than anything I'd faced up until that point. I don't skip fights or exploration, so it must have meant I needed to just leave and grind for hours. I kind of lost interest around that point. Demon negotiation or whatever doesn't do a ton for me, but it's fine to collect them.

I'm going into this with very low expectations, but will try to enjoy it. Seems you can see your character and demons more, which helps me enjoy the game. I know the series is known for difficulty, but it's just not clicking with me as a good or interesting difficulty. But I have very little experience with it.
Well unlike IV, this one is in 3rd person like Nocturne but Demon negotiations and Demon fusion is big part of the series, if you don’t enjoy those then I would say skip this game.

Jsisto

This looks incredible! I’ve never played a SMT game before. Does anyone know if the combat in this is similar to Tokyo Mirage Sessions? I know that game was basically a SMT spinoff and was big on triggering enemy weak points.

Last edited:

Danjin44

This looks incredible! I’ve never played a SMT game before. Does anyone know if the combat in this is similar to Tokyo Mirage Sessions? I know that game was basically a SMT spinoff and was big on triggering enemy weak points.
Yes and no, it has Press turn in sense you take advantage of enemies weakness but they are not entirely the same.

TMS#FE's Session kind works same way as Strange Journey's alignment, by hitting enemies weakness other party members join the attack.

In mainline SMT there are number turns you have
DyA0yLv.png
by hitting a weakness you gain half a turn
25sFQDC.png
this when you see your icon get highlighted.

Now if you miss or enemy blocks your attack you lose two of your icon and ends your turns faster, this also true for enemies as well.......this just a simple explanation of how SMT's Press turn works.

Also another thing SMT is different than TMS is getting Demons and fusing them, they are the core of the its gameplay. You get Demons by negotiation and once you have enough you can fuse them to get stronger Demons. you need to do this as often as possible, unlike other JPRGs, its up to you to build your party members. There no human party members in this game, there are just Demons.

Last edited:

Jsisto

Sounds really cool. I take it you can have a large reserve of demons for different situations/can swap them out in a hub area? Sounds like a really dark version of Pokémon. (I know SMT was technically around first!)

Danjin44

Sounds really cool. I take it you can have a large reserve of demons for different situations/can swap them out in a hub area? Sounds like a really dark version of Pokémon. (I know SMT was technically around first!)
You actually can swap Demons in middle of the battle but MC has to give up one turn to do that.

Last edited:

Jsisto

Can you describe what the structure of a SMT game is generally like, in comparison to say, a dragon quest game? It seems there is a hub world of sorts where I assume a lot of story and npc interaction happen. What are the open areas where battles take place like? Are they varied and is there exploration/secrets to find? Puzzles? Definitely plan on picking this up, just curious what to expect outside of the turn based battle system. And thank you for the wonderful thread!

Danjin44

Can you describe what the structure of a SMT game is generally like, in comparison to say, a dragon quest game? It seems there is a hub world of sorts where I assume a lot of story and npc interaction happen. What are the open areas where battles take place like? Are they varied and is there exploration/secrets to find? Puzzles? Definitely plan on picking this up, just curious what to expect outside of the turn based battle system. And thank you for the wonderful thread!
You generally have overworld you travel through, in past game it looked like this.
e0EMwu9.png

21-SMT3-0892.jpg

shin-megami-tensei-iv-apocalypse-4.jpg

Now in SMT5 is fully 3D
ShinMegamiTenseiV-SMT5_P8_Daat_03-1024x576.jpg

ShinMegamiTenseiV-SMT5_P8_Daat_06-1024x576.jpg

ShinMegamiTenseiV-SMT5_P8_Daat_04.jpg

From Overworld you go through different dungeons and even find secret or optional boss to fight. There are towns but not same way you see in Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy since it usually have apocalypse settings.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

My man Danjin44 doing YHVH's work. Thanks for posting those, I'm sure I've had missed some trailers if not for this thread.

The wait is kiling me. Wonder if they'll release a demo or something before release.

tommib

I've never played any of these games. Are they like the Persona games at all? Or is it just a stupid comparison that I'm making?

Danjin44

I've never played any of these games. Are they like the Persona games at all? Or is it just a stupid comparison that I'm making?
Persona is spin off to SMT (main series) They share Demons and fusion system but its "press turn combat" and structure is very different from each other.

For example Persona technically doesn't have press turn and instead they have One more system and in Persona you don't customize MC's states like you do in SMT.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Stupid? Bro, Persona is a literal spin off of the SMT games. Same demons (or personas), same magics and skills, same negotion as in Persona 5, same fusion as in Persona 5...

If you like Persona for the gameplay, you'll love those games.

Danjin44

I'm so glad they are doing SMTIV Apocalypse style DLC, unlike P5 they don't just give you new Demons for free, you have to first defeat them then they will be unlocked for fusion.

TintoConCasera

Have they really put the fiends and demi-fiend behind a paywall? Man, that's so lame Atlus...

Might get the demi-fiend one as it seems to be the most meaty content-wise. Not paying for two waifus, a dude and a few grinding areas tho.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

Is that what the mitama DLC is?
I think I'm wrong and it's not new areas to farm, but instead an increase spawn rate for the mitamas, which are used to farm exp/money or fusion. Even lazier imo.

Edit: Found some info on the DLC here.
Here’s the full rundown (please note that all USD prices are estimates):

Return of the True Demon – releasing November 12 (¥ 980 or $8.59)
In the World of Shadows, Sophia gives the protagonist a menorah, which is said to grant either great power or a swift death. With the menorah in hand, the protagonist will be forced to face the terrible Fiends that appear before him. Once a fiend is defeated, they will be unlocked for fusion. And by defeating the Demon-fiend, his Essence can be obtained. Can you survive against the Fiends and their deathly power?
A Goddess in Training – releasing November 12 ( ¥ 450 or $3.95)
Near the Tokyo Tower, the protagonist is stopped by the goddess Artemis. Help her in her quest to find a training partner. Clear the mission to recruit Artemis and unlock her for demon fusion.
The Rage of a Queen – releasing November 12 ( ¥ 400 or $3.50)
Cleopatra gets stripped of her position as a representative and gets banished from the Bethel Egypt branch. The protagonist then receives a request to check on her. Clear the mission to recruit Cleopatra and unlock her for demon fusion.
The Doctor’s Last Wish – releasing November 12 ( ¥ 400 or $3.50)
A Bethel researcher working on a certain project has gone missing. The protagonist then seeks out the researcher, only to cross paths with the Tyrant Mephisto. Fulfill certain conditions to recruit Mephisto and unlock him for demon fusion.
Mitama Dance of Wealth / Mitama Dance of EXP / Mitama Dance of Miracles – releasing November 12 ( ¥ 350 or $3.00 each)
Mitama Dance of Wealth will cause Saki Mitama, a rare demon that drops expensive items, to appear at a greatly increased rate. This should make it much easier to earn Macca. With Mitama Dance of EXP, Ara Mitama and Kushi Mitama, rare demons that drop items that grant experience, will appear at a greatly increased rate. This should be just the thing to help your party level up. Lastly, Mitama Dance of Miracles will increase the appearance rate of Nigi Mitama, a rare demon that drops Glory, which is essential for obtaining Miracles. Seeking Glory will greatly assist you in your adventures.
Safety difficulty
The Safety difficulty will also be added as a free DLC. This mode can be enjoyed even by those who are new to RPGs.
Shin Megami Tensei V DLC bundle ( ¥ 2,952 or $25.88 without game, ¥ 12,830 or $112.49 with game)
We will also offer the SMTV DLC Bundle, which contains all paid DLC for a discounted price. In addition, there will be a set that includes the digital version of SMT5 and all DLC.

Also, some info on New game +
Is there any post-game content like New Game Plus, where character stats are carried over to a new playthrough?

Yes, you will be able to start a new playthrough with certain attributes carried over after clearing the game. There are two ways to transfer save data: “Newborn” and “Reborn”.

Newborn: Transfers Demon Compendium and enemy analysis data, but the difficulty will not be affected too drastically. Some demons and Miracles can only be obtained with multiple playthroughs, so please choose the method that works best for you.

Reborn: Transfers protagonist level, skills, all demons, Macca, items, etc. for easier replay.
Kind of like in SMT IV, iirc.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Have they really put the fiends and demi-fiend behind a paywall? Man, that's so lame Atlus...
It was kind of same way with original SMTIII, when it was originally released it didn't have Fiends boss fights or Labyrinth of Amala until Maniax version got released.

In PS2 days there was no such thing as DLC so instead they re-releases games and Nocturne got two of them, one with Dante and another one with Raidou.

Personally I'm not getting boss DLCs until I'm done my first playthough and I don't need Exp and Macca DLCs.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

It was kind of same way with original SMTIII, when it was originally released it didn't have Fiends boss fights or Labyrinth of Amala until Maniax version got released.

In PS2 days there was no such thing as DLC so instead they re-releases games and Nocturne got two of them, one with Dante and another one with Raidou.
Uh yeah, but at least back then they were added after the initial release, which probably means they were developed after the main game.

Here we have content behind a paywall just the same day the game releases... much greed.

Personally I'm not getting boss DLCs until I'm done my first playthough and I don't need Exp and Macca DLCs.
I'm almost in the same boat but man, beating an SMT without summoning my bro Daisoujou would feel wrong. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

TintoConCasera

I myself not really fond of how Atlus does DLC but at least I get to fight demons before they become available for fusion.

I HATE how Persona 5 did with Persona DLC.
Holy shit that was a crime. I hated how most of the challenged battles in P5R were locked behind a paywall.

I'm gonna buy the fiend dlc, because I'm weak.
They better put some good difficulty and a banger battle theme for the fiends and the demi-fiend. He already appears in Digital Devil Saga as a hidden boss and apparently it's difficult as all hell.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
As an aside they announced last October they were going to be releasing a Demi-Fiend figma (overpriced highly-articulated Japanese toy I'm definitely buying) and we still haven't seen the damn thing. Maybe waiting for SMT V to drop.

Cutty Flam

Banned
This game looks kind of interesting. What is the combat like in the Shin Megami Tensei series, and will combat be intricate for V?

I might read through this thread soon to see what we got here

Danjin44

This game looks kind of interesting. What is the combat like in the Shin Megami Tensei series, and will combat be intricate for V?

I might read through this thread soon to see what we got here
Have you played any Persona games? It turn based RPG with Monster collecting mechanics, you negotiate with Demon to join you and fuse to get stronger Demons, you are basically build your party with Demons.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Have you played any Persona games? It turn based RPG with Monster collecting mechanics, you negotiate with Demon to join you and fuse to get stronger Demons, you are basically build your party with Demons.
Haven't played a Persona game yet, but a lot of these JRPGs I got my eye on. If it's Demons then the story is probably interesting

Danjin44

Haven't played a Persona game yet, but a lot of these JRPGs I got my eye on. If it's Demons then the story is probably interesting
If you have 3DS give SMTIV a try or play SMTIII Nocturne on Switch to see if you enjoy combat and gameplay loop of SMT games.

killatopak

What’s the chances of SMTV having a complete edition? Cause damn, I dunno if I’ll be able to get all dlcs. Maybe just the demifiend one.

Danjin44

What’s the chances of SMTV having a complete edition? Cause damn, I dunno if I’ll be able to get all dlcs. Maybe just the demifiend one.
SMTIV didnt so there is a good chance this won't either and as for DLC I will get the demon boss DLCs after I finished my first playthrough.

carlosrox

Banned
Is it just me or are the graphics in this game reeeeeeeally fucking good?

Can't wait to see this shit on the SOLED.

Last edited:
Top Bottom