• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New trailer for Shin Megami Tensei V

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
And soundtrack, but I'm going to end up paying the scalper toll at some point :(. I've got every SMT launch/special edition since Persona 3, even the Deep Strange Journey 25th anniversary import.

This shit sucks - first Metroid Dread and now this. Companies really need to crack down on this scalping shit, but I guess a sale is a sale so they don't care.
The big issue was EBgames in Canada made collectors edition online store only, the retail store is very close to my house, I could have easily able to pre-order it if they would have let me.

Last edited:

CGiRanger

Banned
I'm legitimately curious what kind of steps companies can take to stop Scalpers and Bots? I'd imagine these sorts of steps would need to be taken at the shopfront retail level as well mostly (so Amazon and all the other big stores). How could they filter out who are Bots/Resellers, and who are actual legitimate purchasers? Especially as bots and such seem to get more and more sophisticated, and since it's not really possible to know who would resell things upon purchase.

Danjin44

I'm legitimately curious what kind of steps companies can take to stop Scalpers and Bots?
There is only one way dealing with bots....
tenor.gif

Danjin44

aprently people say this is not a quality game. hmmmmm
SMT games have been consistently good and quality and I don’t see that changing based on all footage we saw so far but I can take a pretty good guess that they are not talking about the actual game, they mostly talking about GRAPHICS, because that’s only fucking thing matters in gaming these days.....right?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
All SMT games in my experience have been quality games. Gritty world has gone to shit story(multiple paths too!), great music and the battle system is generally engaging with emphasis on weakness exploits for additional turns and big damage, and buffing/debuffing.

And later on you can probably demolish trash packs with Almighty spells.

Gonna probably dump a whole lot into Mag like I usually do.

If people are all about graphics then the game series isn't for you at all.

SMT is the full RPG experience and scratches a different itch compared to Persona's.

Last edited:

E.T. Waifu

I kinda hope we get to have different costumes and one of the is the regular hs uniform. I'm personally not a big fan of the fused MC look.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Got my premium edition Fall of Man Premium Edition with man bag from Amazon.

Ready to become a condemned being.

Andyliini

I have not a huge history with this series, and have actually given up many games I have tried. Shin Megami Tensei IV was ace, though. Because of that I have high hopes for this. Looks promising at least.

Danjin44

My only worry is how they going to handle DLC, because we all Atlus does DLCs now. I'm hoping less like Persona 5 and more like SMTVI:A. In that game you don't get powerful DLC Demons for free, you first have to beat them in boss battle before you get them and I love that.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Yeah just found it myself. The surgeons got em I assume. I would have liked it if Amazon opened preorders for at least the standard edition just like Metroid Dread.

Ultimately I only really care about the game.

I think dlc will be handled for SMTV like it is for SMTIV and Apoc.

I think they take a different approach with Persona in large part to it's target audience.

Last edited:

Andyliini

Looking at the localized trailers, it appears that the main characters name is Protag. Does anybody know if the MC has an official name anywhere?

Danjin44

Looking at the localized trailers, it appears that the main characters name is Protag. Does anybody know if the MC has an official name anywhere?
They usually don't have names and you are one naming them until manga or anime made after it.

But just like Nocturne which MC known as Demi-Fiend, in SMTV for now his known as Nahobino after he fuses.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
No official name. Probably will find out when it releases if they give a stock name like they did for SMTIV under the guise of Flynn.

Might not give a name to establish a connection to you the player. Which is fine by me.

Fbh

aprently people say this is not a quality game. hmmmmm
Who is saying this?
Game looks amazing in every footage they have shown.

I don't really get the complaints about the graphics either, they look great for a Switch game
giphy.gif

The only thing I can think of is people disappointing it's not a highschool simulator. Which is silly as the mainline games have never been about t hat. It's like being disappointed that Dragon Age doesn't have a cyberpunk setting.

My only worry is how they going to handle DLC, because we all Atlus does DLCs now. I'm hoping less like Persona 5 and more like SMTVI:A. In that game you don't get powerful DLC Demons for free, you first have to beat them in boss battle before you get them and I love that.

I just hope whatever extra content they make in the future gets added to the game as DLC instead of a whole new separate release like P5 Royal.
And if they are going to make any larger pieces of content I'd rather have them work as expansions for the core game instead of a reworked main game.

If P5 had released a DLC chapter I'd have totally played it. But I didn't feel like buying the game again and spending another 100 hours playing through it just to experience the new content.

Danjin44

I don't really get the complaints about the graphics either, they look great for a Switch game
giphy.gif
I know right!? The Demons here have much more detail animation and proper expression when using spells or attacks, compare that to Persona 5, which have very simple animation.

The game looks good, but some people will always complain about every game on Switch.

In another topic,
Perhaps the game will be easier than IV in the beginning? I wonder how the dungeons would be like.

Danjin44

I'm so glad unique death animation from SMTVI and VI:A is back in full 3D.

Last edited:
Top Bottom