• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New trailer for Shin Megami Tensei V

All I said the scale of SMTV is bigger than P5 and if you watch this trailer you will see what I am talking about.

I like the graphics for what it is. I'd rather have a unique looking game rather than a game that looks like everything else.

I'm on your side, guys, I was just playing devils advocate and trying to understand why a non-fan would feel differently than we would.

Please dont hurt me.

over it monday GIF by Michelle Porucznik

I'm on your side, guys, I was just playing devils advocate and trying to understand why a non-fan would feel differently than we would.

Please dont hurt me.

over it monday GIF by Michelle Porucznik
Nah, nothing you said was wrong but it's certainly a better use of time to just bail at this point when the arguments are so flimsy.

carlosrox

Banned
Oh yeah so was the main character a girl this whole time?

Looked pretty androgynous to me but I assumed it was a boy. Or that we could choose.

What's the deal there? When in the Other Tokyo though that is clearly a woman, no?

Looked pretty androgynous to me but I assumed it was a boy. Or that we could choose.

What's the deal there? When in the Other Tokyo though that is clearly a woman, no?
I'm pretty sure it was a girl the whole time. First time I saw her I immediately knew it was a girl.

GeekyDad

Honestly, the trailer is pretty awful, due mostly to that ridiculous narration. But...I don't care, I'm sure the game is gonna be great. If it's anything like IV, I will be in SMT bliss.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Honestly, the trailer is pretty awful, due mostly to that ridiculous narration. But...I don't care, I'm sure the game is gonna be great. If it's anything like IV, I will be in SMT bliss.
Watch Japanese trailer I posted above, it’s different trailer than we got at E3 and much better.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Game looks great, aside from the MC design which I don't really dig yet.

Also the music in the trailer sounds really great! Reminds me of the SMT IV battle themes, which were (all 17 of them) fantastic.

It's a boy with long hair. Mindblowing, I know.

KingT731

Thats mostly subjective, I'm personally loving art direction in this game.
Hence why I said "just speaking for myself." Though I am seeing others sharing the same opinion but I'm not overly concerned about the direction as I already pre-ordered the game. I just thought they would spruce it up a bit but I'm hoping to see some more interesting looking areas when I get my hands on it.

IKSTUGA

Looks sick. I didn't really get into the Nocturne remaster, but I'm definitely getting this. Looks way more modern and polished.

Null Persp

That japanese trailer is so much better and the soundtrack sounds amazing, at 1:10 the music reminds me of SMTIV naraku battle theme.

New video of a demons fusion from a japanese stream.

Hm, the box art doesn't showcase any other humans. Just the MC. Makes me think that maybe there aren't other human characters that will offer different paths like SMT4. I kinda liked embodying the endings with side characters. We will see when the game comes out. I am going dark after the JP trailer. I will echo many people in this thread and say watch that one instead of EN trailer. I am much more hyped for it.

Manji Uzuki

Thanks for posting the japanese trailer, it's soo much better! Looking forward to play it! Btw great news it's a world release, I hope other Atlus games follow this in the future

Danjin44

That japanese trailer is so much better and the soundtrack sounds amazing, at 1:10 the music reminds me of SMTIV naraku battle theme.

New video of a demons fusion from a japanese stream.

I LOVE the fusion animation, wondering how’s gonna be in fusion accidents.

Last edited:

The Snake

For those confused about the gender: I am assuming the MC either becomes a being that possesses no gender/sex and is thus androgynous, or they're perhaps going for a literal adaptation of the title, and the character is a male who becomes the catalyst for a goddess reincarnation. Either way it's interesting and different than most other shit companies are putting out these days.

CGiRanger

Banned

I'm pretty sure it was a girl the whole time. First time I saw her I immediately knew it was a girl.
For those confused about the gender: I am assuming the MC either becomes a being that possesses no gender/sex and is thus androgynous, or they're perhaps going for a literal adaptation of the title, and the character is a male who becomes the catalyst for a goddess reincarnation. Either way it's interesting and different than most other shit companies are putting out these days.
You guys need to consume more Japanese media if you're still confused that MC is a guy.

Case in point:

Scary fact. That character above IS voiced by a guy VA (Ayumu Murase, who's over 30. But he voices chars like Haikyuu Hinata, and Venti from Genshin)

The Snake

You guys need to consume more Japanese media if you're still confused that MC is a guy.

Case in point:

Scary fact. That character above IS voiced by a guy VA (Ayumu Murase, who's over 30. But he voices chars like Haikyuu Hinata, and Venti from Genshin)

I'm gonna pass but I believe you and I respect you for posting it.

Danjin44

Watching the gameplay stream, it seems Dark and Light can still do damage and not just for instant kill. I remember correctly SMTVI Apocalypse was the same way.

If this is the case then Alice is going very powerful in SMTV.

CGiRanger

Banned
Found this English translation of the Japanese trailer.

Based on this it seems the MC was living in make believe Tokyo.

It really is amazing once again how much much better the JP Trailer of this game is, and how it shows the game off in a far better light than the English trailer.

The English trailer didn't hype me much for the game and made it look boring even. Also the music was muted and it sounds awesome.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Watching the gameplay stream, it seems Dark and Light can still do damage and not just for instant kill. I remember correctly SMTVI Apocalypse was the same way.

If this is the case then Alice is going very powerful in SMTV.
In SMTIV:A you could trigger the insta-death by casting those spells while smirking. I wonder if there might be some equivalent of that in V. Maybe using the spells while having max magatsuhi?

Danjin44

In SMTIV:A you could trigger the insta-death by casting those spells while smirking. I wonder if there might be some equivalent of that in V. Maybe using the spells while having max magatsuhi?
From the UI it seems magatsuhi resource for some spells but you could be right. I'm wondering how you refill it, is it during the battle or outside of battle?

Metnut

This looks underwhelming to me. I’ll check it out if it’s well received but can’t help and wish that the team had been working 100% to bring us Persona 6 sooner rather than this.

TintoConCasera

From the UI it seems magatsuhi resource for some spells but you could be right. I'm wondering how you refill it, is it during the battle or outside of battle?
I could swear I saw it in one of the trailers, or maybe in the treehouse one, that they picked up little orbs while exploring that filled either hp, mp or magatsuhi, and those orbs were either green, blue or red. But maybe during the battles too.

They have also tweaked the buffs. They are individual now (like in Persona until you get the Ma- ones) but they also stack like in previous SMTs.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I could swear I saw it in one of the trailers, or maybe in the treehouse one, that they picked up little orbs while exploring that filled either hp, mp or magatsuhi, and those orbs were either green, blue or red. But maybe during the battles too.
Right! I saw that too, some of them scattered in environments and some of them were in vending machines.

God, November is so far away!!!

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

Right! I saw that too, some of them scattered in environments and some of them were in vending machines.

God, November is so far away!!!
Hang in there my man, it's just 5 months! It's not that much. specially considering the game was announced 4 years ago...

You know, I've watched the Japanese trailer and it really does look kinda ok graphically for the switch and it's SMT gameplay which I do enjoy. At least the systems are deep. Maybe if I have to commute again I'll consider getting this.

Danjin44

They have also tweaked the buffs. They are individual now (like in Persona until you get the Ma- ones) but they also stack like in previous SMTs.
Right! You don't get group buffs from get go like you do In Nocturne but just like that game they do stack.....nice!

And if they do stack does that mean the buffs/debuffs stay through out battle unless the enemy uses Dekaja/Dekunda skill?

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

And if they do stack does that mean the buffs/debuffs stay through out battle unless the enemy uses Dekaja/Dekunda skill?
Nope! It seems that now they only stay there for three turns.

1623860486171.png

They are also affected by affinities. Was this a thing in IV:A? I wonder how that affects the buff/debuff.

Might be the most accessible SMT game ever. Music in the trailer was awesome. I like the stuff outside of the school; high school for setting is a bit overplayed at this point so hope that isn't the bulk of the setting time is spent in.

They don’t play that different in the end. Biggest difference is SMT games have multiple endings and demons are actual party members instead of skillsets (simplifying a bit). There’s also no social links or calendar or daily life stuff.

The SMT games tend to be harder/more challenging than the Persona equivalents tho. Generally for more seasoned JRPG gamers, tho if someone already plays the Persona series the transition should be relatively straightforward.

Last edited:

Danjin44

They are also affected by affinities. Was this a thing in IV:A?
Yap.
Cernunnos.jpg

Might be the most accessible SMT game ever. Music in the trailer was awesome. I like the stuff outside of the school; high school for setting is a bit overplayed at this point so hope that isn't the bulk of the setting time is spent in.
If you watch English translated Japanese trailer above, the MC seems to be living on fake Tokyo before transported to actual Tokyo.

Last edited:

The Snake

It really is amazing once again how much much better the JP Trailer of this game is, and how it shows the game off in a far better light than the English trailer.

The English trailer didn't hype me much for the game and made it look boring even. Also the music was muted and it sounds awesome.
Haha yeah, my wife and I watched the US trailer and she goes "...that was kinda weird, what was the deal with the voice over? Isn't this like a scary horror RPG?"

carlosrox

Banned

So is it a guy or a girl? And does anyone *actually* know?

If it's a girl then what's up with the male looking school uniform? The face could go either way, again, it's clearly an androgynous look. However the Other Tokyo version clearly looks like a female.

So, I'm still confused.

Danjin44

So is it a guy or a girl? And does anyone *actually* know?
It has been said 100 times, the guy literally wearing male school uniform at start of the trailer, if that doesn't make it obvious for you then no one can help you.

He has feminine face but his body makes it pretty obvious that his a male.
TjgYuLu.png
ypR5xOC.png

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It has been said 100 times, the guy literally wearing male school uniform at start of the trailer, if that doesn't make it obvious for you then no one can help you.

He has feminine face but his body makes it pretty obvious that his a male.
"Neon Blue Griffith" is going to make people question their sexuality lol.

And his JP battle voice is baller. It's so damn good.

Top Bottom