• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New update out for Dragon's Dogma 2 adding various fixes. For PS5/XBS, there are options to change graphic settings to high/low and 120hz on/off

[PlayStation®5 / Xbox Series X|S / Steam]
  • Adjustments and additions to the storage.
    • Adding function to sell items from the storage menu.
    • Adding function to equip armor from the storage menu.
    • Adding function to equip armor from the storage when changing vocation in a vocation guild.
    • Increasing the maximum number of items of one kind that can be put in storage from 99 to 999.
    • Adjusting so that when an item is put in the storage beyond the maximum limit, the maximum number of items are automatically put in storage.
  • Adding the option to turn the Arisen's visibility on or off in photo mode.
  • Adjusting so that it's easier to find oxcarts in the field.
  • Fixing issue where Venator's Leggings, Ring of Predominance, and Comforting Neck Wrap were unobtainable.
  • Fixing issues that caused players to be able to enter areas they should not be able to.
  • Fixing issue with purchase pricing for precious stones in Vermund being incorrect at some shops.
  • Fixing issue where the oracle's guidance would not account for a necessary character being dead.
  • Fixing issue where some gathering points would not regenerate until the next playthrough.
  • Fixing issue where incorrect NPC portraits were displayed.
  • Fixing issues around opening the door in the Ancestral Chamber.
  • Fixing issue with hair display on characters of maximum height.
  • Fixing issues around CPU overload in certain situations.*
  • Miscellaneous bug fixes.
[PlayStation®5 / Xbox Series X|S]
  • Adding option to change graphics settings to high/low. *
  • Adding option to turn 120Hz output on/off. **
*Frame rates in areas with a lot of NPCs, such as town centers, should be improved.
In addition, turning the graphics settings to low should further improve frame rates.
Players on Steam can achieve the same results from changing their graphics settings.

Further frame rate improvements are planned for future updates as well.

**If your monitor supports 120Hz output, turning this on may make the game display more smoothly. This setting does not guarantee 120 fps.

Last edited:

Strider7

I wonder what kind of FPS we are talking with it set to low. My current PC is barely holding 60fps, so I’d double dip if I can get a consistent 60fps on PS5.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Would be funny if they really comes up with a 60fps mode on console

I remember those people saying this is a cpu intensive game and it's different comparison to starfield 60 fps update lol

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Gold Member
I literally just started playing this on PS5 and deciding whether to continue on PC or PS5, anyone with both tried it yet, is there better perf on PC also?

Yeah just tried on PS5 its MUCH MUCH better actually quite nice and enjoyable on the graphics mode, didnt try low mode as the usual one was good enough, just turned 120hz mode on and blur off.

PC, lately its been hard crashing my PC 7800x3D and 4090 so god knows what thats all about.

Trebble, gotta ask :

Are you playing on OLED ? If yes, do you notice the stutter with 30fps games ?
If yes (again 😁), has the patch made this playable with LFC on ?

Thanks

TrebleShot

Gold Member
Trebble, gotta ask :

Are you playing on OLED ? If yes, do you notice the stutter with 30fps games ?
If yes (again 😁), has the patch made this playable with LFC on ?

Thanks
Hi mate, yes playing on OLED C2 and G2, only tried on the C2 but imagine it wont be any different on the G2 its essentially the same TV but brighter.

It looked noticeably better on the open world bits I am in, in the game early on. So with 30fps games it depends on the game heavily for instance H:FW on 30 mode is unplayable disgusting stuttery mess. But on a game lie Callisto Protocol it was actually okay yea not ideal but not unplayable but like many people I used to think 30 was fine and since getting PC and 60 modes I cant go back so play everything in performance mode and at a push the 40 mode.

This with the new patch and what I ve played so far is absolutely playable on OLED and feels a lot better than launch its not locked 60 it feels and plays like 50 but that is acceptable at the moment, a little bump to make it 60 would be great. Also will say I haven't gone back to the main town you first reach as that would bring my PC and PS5 to its knees so will test in a moment. Just need to finish this open world mission.

If your thinking about it, id say nows a good time to go for it.

Mr.Phoenix

And theer were people talking about how this game is crippled by weak CPUs....

and again, I am just gonna say, these devs (pretty much all of them) are pushing out unoptimized games. Its just messed up to me that we are at a point now where we get shit running games and the first thing people think is... we need more power, when once upon a time the first thing people would have thought was... fix your game.

TrebleShot

Gold Member

and again, I am just gonna say, these devs (pretty much all of them) are pushing out unoptimized games. Its just messed up to me that we are at a point now where we get shit running games and the first thing people think is... we need more power, when once upon a time the first thing people would have thought was... fix your game.
Agreed, worst thing is NVIDIA have provided them with hard baked excuses too.
Doesnt run well? use fake frames and AI upscaling.

Ahh yes, when CAPCOM announced last year there wouldn't be a Performance option on PS5 I said cool, no buy (despite loving the first game). Some "bright" people declared 60 fps on console was - *gasp* - IMPOSSIBLE! Looks like we're one step closer, will still probably wait until PS5Pro and the inevitable update it will get then but it's nice to see CAPCOM is getting their shit together.

Would be funny if they really comes up with a 60fps mode on console

I remember those people saying this is a cpu intensive game and it's different comparison to starfield 60 fps update lol
It is CPU intensive, and it's not a that different comparison to Starfield, that game's still running at 30-40ish FPS on cities when there's more NPC's around.

This is the only video i've seen showing the new mode:

Basically they just removed RT, which is CPU intensive, for the low settings, increasing FPS to 30-40 in the cities, and 40's outside.

And for people saying we don't need better CPU's or Pro consoles etc, well can't agree with that, sure, you could get this game to 60 FPS by lowering graphics to ultralow on the open world, even in the cities if you remove most NPC's and make the rest magically appear when you are 1 meter away from them, i mean Cyberpunk ended up "running" on PS4 and Xbox One tho the cities look like a desert now.

IDWhite

It is CPU intensive, and it's not a that different comparison to Starfield, that game's still running at 30-40ish FPS on cities when there's more NPC's around.

Basically they just removed RT, which is CPU intensive, for the low settings, increasing FPS to 30-40 in the cities, and 40's outside.

And for people saying we don't need better CPU's or Pro consoles etc, well can't agree with that, sure, you could get this game to 60 FPS by lowering graphics to ultralow on the open world, even in the cities if you remove most NPC's and make the rest magically appear when you are 1 meter away from them, i mean Cyberpunk ended up "running" on PS4 and Xbox One tho the cities look like a desert now.

Of course a better CPU will always help. But that's not the solution here, because even on high end PC desktop CPUs the game has some serious issues.

You can't make and release a game that perform like this. And them instead of making real optimizations your are only hampering the player experience by making huge sacrifices on game logic simulation, visuals and almost every other aspect that involves the use of CPU resources.

I don't know if it's an engine problem, but if this is the same kind of performance that we are going to get with MH wilds them I'm out.

lh032

"Further frame rate improvements are planned for future updates as well."

we are getting nearer to 60fps, with visual sacrifice but still better than 30 fps!

Raven117

Gold Member
I bought on release but haven’t had a chance to play it. There has been a lot of good stuff out there to play.

Will probably get to this in the fall

"Further frame rate improvements are planned for future updates as well."

we are getting nearer to 60fps, with visual sacrifice but still better than 30 fps!
Yea, they removed RT, which is CPU hungry, and helps in cities, not so much in the open world, they can still put every detail on Low or Very Low, and as i said, remove many NPC's or make them disappear even faster once you move away from them, and they'll end up reaching 60 FPS eventually, but this doesn't mean we don't need Pro versions or that consoles' CPU are outdated for some new games coming out.

Same applies for some new games that are coming out and that aren't even CPU bottlenecked, such as Final Fantasy or Alan Wake, 60 FPS modes on some new games are getting rough

MikeM

Wish I could like this more than once. I’m tired of this too- at some point, code has to be done properly. The amount of optimizations that occur over the course of a year really makes buying day 1 unappealing and goes to show that the problem is generally not weak hardware, but the inefficient spaghetti code/mismanagement of hardware.

Last edited:

lh032

Yea, they removed RT, which is CPU hungry, and helps in cities, not so much in the open world, they can still put every detail on Low or Very Low, and as i said, remove many NPC's or make them disappear even faster once you move away from them, and they'll end up reaching 60 FPS eventually, but this doesn't mean we don't need Pro versions or that consoles' CPU are outdated for some new games coming out.

Same applies for some new games that are coming out and that aren't even CPU bottlenecked, such as Final Fantasy or Alan Wake, 60 FPS modes on some new games are getting rough
we shall see how much the improvement is, i have no issue playing elden ring ps5 native version, im sure its fine even dd2 is not 60fps most of the time/.
I take 40-60 over 30 fps.

"Same applies for some new games that are coming out and that aren't even CPU bottlenecked, such as Final Fantasy or Alan Wake, 60 FPS modes on some new games are getting rough"

And thats why im getting the pro day 1!

Last edited:

RavageX

So I now (sadly) put this in the same category as Cyberpunk. Doesn't matter if (most) of the game sucks. I loved the first Dragon's Dogma and this PALES in comparison. Finished it and felt pretty underwelmed. Too many steps backwards as a series instead of forward. How can you have LESS options than an older game?

30fps, 60fps....irrelevant to me.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Too late to care personally.
Bugs Bunny GIF

good, hope the support continues and that we'll get an expanion since i will play this game for years
flexing arnold schwarzenegger GIF

Yeah just tried on PS5 its MUCH MUCH better actually quite nice and enjoyable on the graphics mode, didnt try low mode as the usual one was good enough, just turned 120hz mode on and blur off.

PC, lately its been hard crashing my PC 7800x3D and 4090 so god knows what thats all about.
Does it mean they activated LFC so the stutters are gone even when fps is <48fps?

Can they add a toggle to make it not suck hard, or at least not be so underwhelming and mediocre?

Well, it's been quite some time since I've seen a divisive game such as this, people either love it or hate it, no real in-between 🤨

Them most common complaints that I've been seeing/reading though is that not only is it more of the same but that it actually manages to be worse and more boring(?) than the original DD...

It's funny, I was one of the people actually wanting a sequel to DD since I enjoyed it very much back in the day but between the 70 Eurodollars pricetag, the various technical problems, the 30fps (with dips) framerate and - apparently - gameplay systems that have actually regressed from the original I...just don't know anymore, methinks I'll wait until the "Gold" or "Arisen" version (but only if they fix the aforementioned problems).
I see no reason whatsoever to grab it now...

Cheers

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Well, it's been quite some time since I've seen a divisive game such as this, people either love it or hate it, no real in-between 🤨

Them most common complaints that I've been seeing/reading though is that not only is it more of the same but that it actually manages to be worse and more boring(?) than the original DD...

It's funny, I was one of the people actually wanting a sequel to DD since I enjoyed it very much back in the day but between the 70 Eurodollars pricetag, the various technical problems, the 30fps (with dips) framerate and - apparently - gameplay systems that have actually regressed from the original I...just don't know anymore, methinks I'll wait until the "Gold" or "Arisen" version (but only if they fix the aforementioned problems).
I see no reason whatsoever to grab it now...

Cheers
I'm out solely due to the technical issues. Sounds like they're at least doing something about that part. But I'm sure it still isn't enough for me. I'm going to wait to see where things are when the PS5 Pro releases. Ultimately even then, I think this will still be something I continue to let sail by. But lets see.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Glad to see this is still getting patches and that more and coming in the future.

Performance was fine for me on PC, my only gripes with the game were the lack of difficulty and proper dungeons. Aside from that tho, amazing game, don't get the complaints specially those that say it's a regression from the first game.

Hopefully we end up getting a DLC with more enemies, challenge and a proper dungeon like BBI.

Pejo

Was there any mention of the LoD problem that was causing CPU spikes in crowded areas or was that already previously fixed in another patch?

Top Bottom