• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xenoblade Chronicles X trailer

jgwhiteus

Game looks massive and the environments are beautiful; still my most anticipated game this year.

I agree the character models aren't amazing compared to what else is out there, but they're a definite improvement over Xenoblade, and honestly I don't know how much they can do if they're directly adapting Kunihiko Tanaka's (?) style - I don't know, can anyone point to examples of games with a similar style that had good in-game character models, that didn't use cel-shading or something more animation-oriented? And as others pointed out, the main character is customizable, so hopefully you can make someone who suits your aesthetics more.

Xenoblade-Chronicles-X-Male-Avatar.jpg

tariniel

I feel really bad about not being hype for this. I really just didn't enjoy the combat in the first one and I haven't seen anything that would change my mind about this one.

Phamit

Well the only thing Monolith can't do are faces, atleast it is a step up from Xenoblade Chronicles

and the soundtrack carries Sawanos thumbprint

McLovin

I think you misunderstood him there. He's laughing at the notion that people believed that there was any kind of graphical downgrade.
Oh, well it looks nice overall, but certain things scream last gen. If it really is 60fps and that scale is represented accurately, I think it was a good tradeoff.

JimboJones

Seems weird this is actually coming out this year, was almost certain we would get silence on it at some point while they let it slip to 2016. Can't wait!

Astral Dog

2565487-8326175278-Monol.jpg

XENOBLADE_thumb.jpg

A few characters manage to look good, besides the beasts

Like Reyn, seriously i dont know what witchcraft they did but he managed to look a generation above the others, still bad, but...

Malus

Oh, well it looks nice overall, but certain things scream last gen. If it really is 60fps and that scale is represented accurately, I think it was a good tradeoff.

Is there a Wii U game that is clearly better than the best of last gen? The hardware simply isn't very impressive. And it's almost certainly not 60fps. It's only natural that a gigantic game like this is less detailed than your Captain Toads and whatnot.

Verger

Banned
The opening to this trailer reminded me a lot of Xenogears, actually. The ship looked a lot like the ship at the start -- hell, the whole setup is basically the same, or very similar.
As long as there is no Miang....please

Astral Dog

Is there a Wii U game that is clearly better than the best of last gen? The hardware simply isn't very impressive. And it's almost certainly not 60fps. It's only natural that a gigantic game like this is less detailed than your Captain Toads and whatnot.

There is not, released, Bayonetta 2 and Mario Kart 8 (maybe Nintendoland) are more clear, but this a case of managing resources, the overall look, budget and art direction, these games are above 30fps, for example.

Wii U games that are 30fps and push the system, i think there are only three: X, Zelda U, and Pikmin 3.

Well Wii-U is comparable to last gen machines.

Not sure what you were expecting.

FFXV may have taken some of the thunder away from it visually when it realized it needed to at least reach the bar Xenoblade set. Now that you have seen what an open world next gen game looks like, this version doesn't look as impressive from a technical standpoint.

But what it lacks in the tech, it at least makes up for it in creativity.

The music felt kinda crappy and generic to me, not to mention it sounds extremely similar to Sawano's previous works (Guilty Crown in particular). Oh well, I guess there's still hope for the rest of the soundtrack.

That said, the game itself looks fantasic and is literally the only reason I want a Wii U.

rjinaz

Running the game (in 1080p30)

The exact same thing can be said about Xenoblade, especially the exploration trailer that basically featured the characters running all over the place. If you didn't like Xenoblade or open world games in general this game might not be for you.

Cosmozone

Monolithsoft employs the environmental design overlords. I bow down to them. The best thing is that after that there will be probably an even grander game. That mech flying towards the towering rock spike with the dark clouds behind it, just amazing. The jump scene is also great, the fact that the level holding the lake is high above sea level itself... I could explore this world for hours straight, just running/flying around will make me happy and give me good feelings.

Graphics Downgrade... check
Dumb Character models... check

Lol who am I kidding, this is day one for me. Looks amazing in every way I care about.

jgwhiteus

Yeah, I'm not getting the complaints on the trailer just being running around - they made a virtually identical trailer for the original Xenoblade which just featured the characters running in different locations; the point of this trailer is to highlight the variety and size of environments you'll be exploring, not to delve too much into the battle system or characters or general gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ2-Qu7ngts

And the music in the trailer didn't blow me away (although it sounded nice), but then again, I don't think any of my favorite tracks from the first game (e.g. Unfinished Battle, Satorl Marsh - Night, They Will Know Our Names, etc.) were ever featured in any trailer, so I'm assuming the real gems will be in the game itself.

M3d10n

No, but also the Wii U doesn't have any first party exclusive developed by a 300+ people team with a space race style budget dedicated to making sure the graphics outshine the competition.

Heroman

Banned
What get me is the giant fucking boss/ emeies. That shit got me hype, just walking around and look to the left and see a godzilla size monster.

3DShovel

The overworld for this looks absolutely massive. I never got a chance to play the first game, but I'll definitely look into picking it up on new 3DS so I can try this out when it hits!

rjinaz

I feel really bad about not being hype for this. I really just didn't enjoy the combat in the first one and I haven't seen anything that would change my mind about this one.

I don't know why you would. If you don't like it, you don't like it. There are plenty of games out there I just didn't like after playing. Yet thousands if not millions of other people do like them. I for one am glad the combat is similar. If they changed it drastically, then I might not like the game the same way, even if others like you then would. We each have our own preferences.

Rnr1224

game looks absolutely gorgeous. Absolutely cannot wait for this to come out. Hopefully will be during the summer of this year.

I don't get the complaints about the faces, but then again I guess I'm not too choosy. They're not super detailed or anything, I guess, but Xenoblade's sure as fuck weren't either and it was still the best RPG from last gen.

Cannot wait for this game. Please make it State-side this year.

Well, the NA stream did show a 2015 at the end.

I think it's totally possible, maybe it's one of the end-year titles from Nintendo here. Maybe it'll come out soon after the JP =P

Anyway, no one dissected the trailer yet? C'mon people.

I don't get the complaints about the faces, but then again I guess I'm not too choosy. They're not super detailed or anything, I guess, but Xenoblade's sure as fuck weren't either and it was still the best RPG from last gen.

It's not the lack of detail, it's the poor transition from 2D to 3D. Xenoblade also suffered from that, but here it seems even worse.

one_kill

They don't match the environments and creatures

Nemecyst

The flora and fauna are just incredible. I stood up and clapped after this was shown in the Direct. That planet's design is truly "alien".

Nephtis

This may be the game that pushes me to finally buy a WiiU.

Maybe. Too bad they're exclusively for Nintendo consoles though. I would've loved this on the PS4.

Everything about this game aside from the poor character design looks incredible! Many of the environments and creatures remind me of the atmosphere from Avatar, which is a big plus for me.

DizzyCrow

Maybe. Too bad they're exclusively for Nintendo consoles though. I would've loved this on the PS4.
Lol this game is developed by Nintendo (Monolith Soft is ownednby Nintendo since 2007).

Sayah

Wow. Game looks brilliant minus the terrible character designs.

I guess I should get to finally opening my copy of Xenoblade.

Also, do we have the full soundtrack from that trailer. Because that's one awesome track.

Daingurse

Looks like Xenoblade on more powerful hardware.

0e3.png

Looks pretty cool, will probably pick up since I own a Wii-U. I never beat Xenoblade, put 60 hours into it and lost my save, but I think I do prefer the sci-fi aesthetic of this game more.

It's not the lack of detail, it's the poor transition from 2D to 3D. Xenoblade also suffered from that, but here it seems even worse.
I suppose so, but I mean, they're anime faces. They don't tend to have a lot of detail. I guess it could be a mistake going that route in the first place.

They don't match the environments and creatures
I can understand this criticism, sure. I guess it just doesn't bother me too much in this case.

I'd love to see Naughty Dog games on PC myself, but oh well.

All my 'departure from original xenoblade' fears have become irrelevant after this trailer. I don't think i've been this hyped for a game ever. So looking forward to it.

Voror

One thing I'm unclear on is if the character speaks or not. I've only recently started watching trailers for it and was unclear on that point.

I rather liked Shulk and the cast so I'd hope so.

Top Bottom