• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xenoblade Chronicles X trailer

Mistle

One thing I'm unclear on is if the character speaks or not. I've only recently started watching trailers for it and was unclear on that point.

I rather liked Shulk and the cast so I'd hope so.
I really hope so. If the main character is an avatar mute, I'd be pretty disappointed.

One thing I'm unclear on is if the character speaks or not. I've only recently started watching trailers for it and was unclear on that point.

It becomes less and less likely that the MC will talk. Usually when games lets you choose the characters voice is because they only have battle quotes, or generic lines...

I hope I'm wrong, but idk...

Either way, I don't have a concern with that, RPGs can easily have a mute protagonist and a good story. My only concern is still the sidequests and stuff (since the battle system already confirmed my other concern...)

III-V

Faces are just terrible absolutely miserable. The character models look boring and forgettable. I hope we see some changes here, and soon.

The scale of the game looks amazing, but what is up with the mega-jumps? Potentially a low-gravity environment? That may explain the plethora of gigantic alien animals.

Lumyst

Loved the lush environments, I like how there's different layers to the environment beyond "mountain, valley" etc. Plateaus that have stuff going on, then if you fall off, there's stuff underneath also :p And things like giant worms that can dive underground are going to be way more imposing than any of the giant enemies I remember from Xenoblade, I wonder what other kinds of enemies there'll be.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Faces are just terrible absolutely miserable. The character models look boring and forgettable. I hope we see some changes here, and soon.

The scale of the game looks amazing, but what is up with the mega-jumps? Potentially a low-gravity environment? That may explain the plethora of gigantic alien animals.

Not familiar with Xenoblade's wonky physics?

Alley oop!

Cant wait how the online mode is going to be. It would be freaking awesome if we could CO-OP through the story mode allah phantasy star online, come on Monolith do it !
The game is going to be released on 29 April in Japan so I am expecting some juicy info between February and April.

III-V

Alley oop!

I spent at least 100 hours on the first and do not remember anything like what was shown here in terms of jumping off or over a waterfall. Of course it may be memory failing me. I do remember crazy jumps in combat.

Off topic, the dolls are powered exoskeletons and not mecha, correct?

Tookay

I'm pretty sure it was confirmed he wouldn't speak.

I wish that wasn't the case.

chadboban

Comparing this last trailer to the first(?) trailer we had for it, looks to me like the graphics are worse now. Well, not worse, but lower res or whatever.

I could certainly be wrong, but here are all the trailers up to now minus this last one. Looks worse now, graphically speaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj7TzPq309Y

Still not seeing this graphics downgrade some folks keep talking about. Seems people keep on saying this but seem to have trouble pointing out exactly what has been downgraded. And the faces weren't actually shown in the first bunch of trailers so something we haven't didn't even have a look at in the first initial trailers can't exactly be described as downgraded. Can it?

Alley oop!
I'll bet they say it's 0.5 G or something, allowing them to keep their wacky physics AND claim it's accurate.

But considering the secret best part of Xenoblade was finding new ledges to jump off of into tiny bodies of water, I'm ok with this!

Malus

Still not seeing this graphics downgrade some folks keep talking about. Seems people keep on saying this but seem to have trouble pointing out exactly what has been downgraded. And the faces weren't actually shown in the first bunch of trailers so something we haven't didn't even have a look at in the first initial trailers can't exactly be described as downgraded. Can it?

We did see a face at the end of the reveal trailer and it looked just as bad back then lol.

XiaNaphryz

I spent at least 100 hours on the first and do not remember anything like what was shown here in terms of jumping off or over a waterfall. Of course it may be memory failing me. I do remember crazy jumps in combat.

Off topic, the dolls are powered exoskeletons and not mecha, correct?

You could cover quite a lot of distance jumping in the first game. It just doesn't seem like it since you're always looking at it from a chase camera. You get enough air that you could also move your character from side to side a few times while in mid-air even just jumping forward on flat ground.

Then there's the ridiculous ice boosted jumps of course. Never mind all the secret locations high up in areas you could jump down into water.

Nephtis

Lol this game is developed by Nintendo (Monolith Soft is ownednby Nintendo since 2007).

True it is a shame Nintendo only makes games for Nintendo consoles.

I am aware that Monolith Soft was bought out by Nintendo, and it's been this way for a while. It's still a shame, and frankly those console exclusives (1st party) are the only thing keeping Nintendo afloat.

It's still a shame that it's all exclusive content though. Sucks that I would have to purchase a console for just 1 game, but such is the way of the world I suppose.

Instro

Comparing this last trailer to the first(?) trailer we had for it, looks to me like the graphics are worse now. Well, not worse, but lower res or whatever.

I could certainly be wrong, but here are all the trailers up to now minus this last one. Looks worse now, graphically speaking.

It's just the varying quality of the video in the trailers rather than the game itself. The capture quality in the OPs link is poor and it is super zoomed out, while the original trailer is blurry and faded due to it being ripped from a stream. We've seen a pretty extensive amount of footage of the game on a regular basis. More than enough to confirm where the game is at visually.

The character faces are a legit issue though. It's partly an art thing, but the human faces lack a lot of defining skin features. That's not a new thing though.

XiaNaphryz

I'll bet they say it's 0.5 G or something, allowing them to keep their wacky physics AND claim it's accurate.

But considering the secret best part of Xenoblade was finding new ledges to jump off of into tiny bodies of water, I'm ok with this!

Then there's using cheats in Dolphin to do dumb stuff like (crappy off screen capture):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w57HlFXMPA0 (spoilers in the second half of that vid from 13 min mark til the end)

At this point you guys will need to either get over the faces or not play the game or whatever.

If the game is coming out in April in Japan then it's pretty much done. They're not going to redo their whole face system.

So you'd best come to terms with it.

The first trailer had the infamous sharp edge shoreline which were fixed by the second trailer. The game has only ever improved visually. The trailers in the video you posted have drastically different quality though.

Character faces is a whole different subject entirely but they've been the same since the first trailer.

ArcLyte

Wait one fucking second. Weren't people pissed off and whining about some silly bullshit regarding Xenoblade X, just like, 4 months ago? Nearly every post in one thread was something negative. Couldn't believe my eyes.

Wait one fucking second. Weren't people pissed off and whining about some silly bullshit regarding Xenoblade X, just like, 4 months ago? Nearly every post in one thread was something negative. Couldn't believe my eyes.

What?

You mean people complaining about Sawano?

That's how Xenoblade X threads usually go. You can see some people still hating Sawano here.

If it was not that, then I have no idea about what you're talking about, GAF loves Xenoblade.

Wow this is looking visually stunning. Never finished Xenoblade but I'll probably end up getting this anyway.

And yeah, those are some UGLY faces on the characters. Ugly and bland. Maybe I can put helmets on all of them.

RPGCrazied

Faces don't bug me that much, they have a Xenosaga feel to them, which has something to do with it. Isn't one of the art people the main person behind the Xenosaga character design?

People hating the music? The game looks so good thats all they have left is some opinion pieces. People who dont even play this game will say the music sucks for years because thats the only thing they will play from this game (on youtube). I would ignore it.

Malus

What?

You mean people complaining about Sawano?

That's how Xenoblade X threads usually go. You can see some people still hating Sawano here.

If it was not that, then I have no idea about what you're talking about, GAF loves Xenoblade.

Gaf seems pretty mixed on Xenoblade based on what I've read. A lot haven't played the original game and think it looks kinda dull, and some who did play it have problems with the gameplay and quests. Then there's like half who absolutely adore it.

javac

From the website:
Elma
x6Avwiq.png

URbDewi.jpg

People hating the music? The game looks so good thats all they have left is some opinion pieces. People who dont even play this game will say the music sucks for years because thats the only thing they will play from this game (on youtube). I would ignore it.

One of the reason is they got used to Sawano's music and got bored with it lol

rjinaz

Gaf seems pretty mixed on Xenoblade based on what I've read. A lot haven't played the original game and think it looks kinda dull, and some who did play it have problems with the gameplay and quests. Then there's like half who absolutely adore it.

Yet at the same time, it's Gaf's 7th most anticipated game of the year, which was recently voted on. I think it's a case of the vocal minority being more vocal. Negativity is mostly about the faces, over and over and over again. Most that complain about the faces still seem exited about the game though.

Edit: Sorry misread. Time for bed.

Even the half that hates the battle system (not the entirety of the gameplay) and the fetch quests, like me, still loves the game for the story and characters.

Complaints here about looking bland comes from people that didn't play the first game, so all they are seeing is this.

I don't think that is being "mixed" (heck, Xenoblade got into the Top10 RPGs in the other thread).
I've heard rumors that Nintendo is using this same game engine for the new Zelda title.
I'm pretty sure that's not true.

I imagine a lot of the people upset about the faces are the people who were getting really annoyed at the X gifs being posted in every thread in 2013 and this, to them, is proof those were bullshots or that the game is secretly ugly and everyone was dumb for posting those gifs.

B.K.

Isn't one of the art people the main person behind the Xenosaga character design?

Yes. Kunihiko Tanaka is the main character designer for the game. He did Xenogears and Xenosaga Episode I. Choco is working on it too, he did Xenosaga Episodes II and III.

Mik317

The characters look bad. Its that Porcelain doll vacant stare.....this artstyle doesn't translate well to HD visuals.... They look like Star Ocean 4 characters.

not a deal breaker but definately something off.

XiaNaphryz

Yet it scored well enough that it's currently ranked 5 in the NeoGAF Essential RPGs 2015 list. It was 4th in 2013 and 3rd in 2012 (they skipped 2014).

I imagine a lot of the people upset about the faces are the people who were getting really annoyed at the X gifs being posted in every thread in 2013 and this, to them, is proof those were bullshots or that the game is secretly ugly and everyone was dumb for posting those gifs.

I don't even know what you're talking about.

The character models look bad because they look bad, it's a poor transition from 2D to 3D. Lynlee looks like those Kigurumi cosplays.

The designs themselves are fine, the models are not.

Verger

Banned
Ok, one thing I am not caring for is the 13-year old. Anime kids look so creepy/doll-like in these games. Hopefully they do not do anything "weird' with her outfits (probably will).

I wonder if Nopons are planet residents and if so how did they join the humans?

Well, I still feel (Xenoblade ending spoilers)
This planet is the new planet created by Shulk. Same as in Xenogears/Saga with the humans travelling back and forth between earth and their other planets to set up the plots
. Though I know some say that the Nopon are just the "signature creature" like the FF Moogles/Chocobos

XiaNaphryz

I don't even know what you're talking about.

The character models look bad because they look bad, it's a poor transition from 2D to 3D. Lynlee looks like those Kigurumi cosplays.

The designs themselves are fine, the models are not.

The models look fine, it's the faces that people have issues with.

Malus

Yet it scored well enough that it's currently ranked 5 in the NeoGAF Essential RPGs 2015 list. It was 4th in 2013 and 3rd in 2012 (they skipped 2014).

I'm just going by what I'm reading in the threads. It could be a vocal minority like others have suggested.

Yet at the same time, it's Gaf's 7th most anticipated game of the year, which was recently voted on. I think it's a case of the vocal minority being more vocal. Negativity is mostly about the faces, over and over and over again. Most that complain about the faces still seem exited about the game though.

Edit: Sorry misread. Time for bed.

I'm in this group. That the environments and creatures look so fantastic makes the human characters look worse than they are I think. I'm still VERY excited for this though, probably as much as Zelda after seeing this trailer.

How did they clown Square?

By showing them how to make a large scale RPG on current gen hardware.

Luckily FFXV is finally trying to reach the bar the PS2 looking Xenoblade set.
FFXIII wasn't cutting it.
Monolithsoft needs to hire new character designers.

Other than that, the trailer and the game look amazing.

It's the 3d modelers they need to hire.
Character design is fine. They just need someone who can mold the 3D into something that keeps the spirit of the 2D artwork, but not be completely tied to it.

BasilZero

Looks great @ environments.

But dem character designs are lol. Although I do admit, it has that Xenosaga feel to it which is fine with me.

I'll be getting this game though not day 1.

Currently playing Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii!

Top Bottom