• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#newguy - a wholesome new meme for the new decade

GreyHorace

This was something I came upon by accident at KotakuinAction and Kiwi Farms. I thought I'd share it with you guys.

New Guy - Know Your Meme

About
New Guy refers to a character in a comic strip made by artist Mallorie Jessica Udischas, aka sweetbeans99. In the comic, a purple-haired character laughs about a "millionaire gamer-bro douchebag" who got robbed, most likely a reference to PewDiePie getting robbed in early December 2019. Her co-worker, whose nametag reads "New Guy," says, "Hey, how'd you like it if you were robbed?" The purple-haired character then sarcastically remarks that she and the "new guy" could be friends but then says "Hell no." While the comic drew backlash from people who read the comic as the author laughing at PewDiePie's misfortune, others began to sympathize with the "new guy" character, creating fan art emphasizing his apparent wholesomeness. However, some criticized the comic for inciting attacks on the original artist, accusing the message of "empathy," many claim the characters symbolizes, is disingenious .

Origin
On December 2nd, 2019, PewDiePie's home with Marzia Kjellberg was reportedly robbed by thieves who broke into the house.[1] On December 8th, webcomic artist Mallorie Jessica Udischas, aka sweetbeans99, published a comic wherein her main character appeared to be laughing at PewDiePie's misfortune (shown below).[2] In the comic, a character called "New Guy" attempts to temper her mirth by saying "How would you like it if you were robbed?"

5a1

Spread
The comic began spreading on Twitter in late 2019 and early 2020. On January 1st, 2020, OneyNG [3] posted the comic, writing "I wanted to start my year good but this was the first thing I saw today," gaining over 2,000 retweets and 24,000 likes. In the replies, people began making edits to the comic, altering the purple-haired character's dialogue and the relationship between her and New Guy. @PaladinDraws[3] posted an example in which the purple-haired character takes New Guy's advice, gaining over 950 retweets and 8,700 likes (shown below, left). Twitter user @Oh_Turbo_Nerd[4] posted a Loss edit of the comic, gaining over 290 retweets and 2,000 likes (shown below, right).

b26
e3d

As the comic continued spreading through Twitter, others began creating fan art sympathizing with New Guy. For example, Twitter user @Lynthoraxs[5] posted art in which New Guy told people not to attack @sweetbeans99 and instead focus on being kind (shown below, left). User @sauceelf[6] tweeted fan art drawn by @kryanari saying they wanted to make New Guy the first wholesome meme of 2020, gaining over 150 retweets and 790 likes (shown below, right). The memes were covered by Cheezburger.[7]

e0e
4e9

Criticsm
Others, however, accused the use of the character to be a tool of harassment against the artist and LGBTQ+ people. On January 1st, 2020, the original artists tweeted, "Wow, my mentions are fucked. I guess having a bunch of pissbabies call me ugly and horrible for the next few days is gonna be a thing." Before the account went private, the post received more than 2,000 likes and 100 retweets (shown below, left).

In a series of tweets, Twitter[8] user @aNerdskull compared use of the character to Gamergate. They tweeted, "I've received DMs from more than a couple LGBTQ people who have told me that they have gotten hundreds of people dogpiling them them, harassment, doxing and death threats in DMs, for criticizing Oney and Pewdiepie. Just in case you were wondering what New Guy is all about." They continued, "There's a bunch of gamergate harasser accounts who were never banned painting targets on people they want people to send harassment to, and the sockpuppet armies run by no-life culture warriors have been fired up. It's all the same phenomenon as gamergate." Within 24 hours, the tweet received more than 1,500 likes and 400 retweets (shown below, center).

Twitter user @casersatz tweeted,[9] "I dunno. I get a feeling that some of these New Guy memes might be a tad disingenuous." They included a series of tweets in which another Twitter user says that someone was triggered by the comic. The tweet received more than 3,700 likes and 750 retweets in less than 24 hours (shown below, right).

f49
b5d.png
8fb.png

Personally I found this hilarious. An SJW attempted to create a strawman for her author insert character to play against in order to make herself look cool. Instead said strawman becomes popular with the online crowd much to her embarrassment. Here are more examples of people embracing the New Guy.

172.jpeg

ae7

ad3

f22.png

3c0.jpg

f8f.jpg

605.jpg

-Arcadia-

Banned
What a perfect repurposing of such an (apparently) ugly original comic.

‘Woke’ people tend to be some of the nastiest, social climbing weasels I’ve ever seen, and the people they disparage and slander, genuinely pretty cool, nice folks, that just want the best for everyone.

There’s exceptions, but that’s how it generally reads.

This meme is a nice little realignment of reality. That’s why it works so well.

GreyHorace

What a perfect repurposing of such an (apparently) ugly original comic.

‘Woke’ people tend to be some of the nastiest, social climbing weasels I’ve ever seen, and the people they disparage and slander, genuinely pretty cool, nice folks, that just want the best for everyone.

There’s exceptions, but that’s how it generally reads.

This meme is a nice little realignment of reality. That’s why it works so well.
The artist throwing a fit over people fawning over the new guy and not their blatant self-insert character will never not be funny to me. She forgot one big truth when it comes to a creative work.

You can't control how the audience will react to it.

Another example of this is The Last Jedi. Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson probably thought they were making a profound and subversive Star Wars movie. Only for it to become the most hated film in the franchise's history.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Kind of nuts that a purple hair was even able to come up with a sympathetic character like that that literally just lays it out for the protagonist - hey why are you celebrating something nasty that happened, that you wouldn't enjoy having done to yourself? And absolutely no comeback at all - just sarcasm. How do you not understand how this comic looks to normal people lol. Like without context I could almost believe it was drawn by someone opposed to SJW ideology to show how nasty they are. Amazing that she thinks this reflects well on her.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Kind of nuts that a purple hair was even able to come up with a sympathetic character like that that literally just lays it out for the protagonist - hey why are you celebrating something nasty that happened, that you wouldn't enjoy having done to yourself? And absolutely no comeback at all - just sarcasm. How do you not understand how this comic looks to normal people lol.

Complete reprogramming into ‘Up is down’, and ‘Down is up’.

She likely believes completely that New Guy is the villain, as does her social circle, and can’t comprehend how anyone could see it differently.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Relevant because the comic is actually referencing him, Pewdiepie covered this today. Starts at 8:29.

Our OP actually did a better job, so nothing too new, but it’s interesting how wide this is going.

Tbh, a meme that encourages being a good person, instead of a stuck-up, virtue signaling twerp, becoming the first meme of 2020, actually kind of makes me feel really good inside. Maybe it’ll be a better year for the first time since 2014? I would kind of love that.

Last edited:
This was something I came upon by accident at KotakuinAction and Kiwi Farms. I thought I'd share it with you guys.

New Guy - Know Your Meme

5a1

b26
e3d

e0e
4e9

f49
b5d.png
8fb.png

Personally I found this hilarious. An SJW attempted to create a strawman for her author insert character to play against in order to make herself look cool. Instead said strawman becomes popular with the online crowd much to her embarrassment. Here are more examples of people embracing the New Guy.

172.jpeg

ae7

ad3

f22.png

3c0.jpg

f8f.jpg

605.jpg

Oh, God, that CAD miscarriage one.

Jeeves

I'm enjoying this immensely. Not holding my breath, but I really do hope that this can help open some eyes long held shut.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Glorious backfire to a bad comic.

The lack of self-awareness needed to not see how this would go down will never not be amazing.

GreyHorace

Our own sophnar0747 sophnar0747 is covering this.

A ‘woke’ comic celebrated PewDiePie’s wife being robbed, the internet said enough is enough

A wholesome meme about empathy has set the internet ablaze as opposing sides duke it out. Initially created to ward off a vitriolic comic, far left reactionaries are not taking too kindly to being painted as perpetrators of hate.

That the artist viewed herself as the good person in the drawing as she berates a seemingly innocent fictionalized man and celebrates the hardship of a very real one kicked off a flurry of anger once it became widely circulated. Possibly due to how accurately it represents the toxic side of the modern woke ‘progressive’.

For years they have tried to paint themselves as moral superiors as they belittle anyone who doesn’t share their system of beliefs, even when such beliefs cause celebration when others are the victims of crime. Seemingly tired of the nonsense of recent years, a large portion of the internet made a stand, and ‘New Guy’ was born.

That it is being shared by any and every one shows that the era of the ‘woke’ may be coming to an end. People are exhausted by the never ending negativity these individuals launch at the populace. On a grander scale, it seems people are just tired of negativity in general. The last few years have been a never ending battleground of social issues and politics, a fight which has ended careers, ruined friendships, and given rise to a culture willing to cancel anybody over the most minor of slights.

In that sense, a meme about empathy is exactly what the internet needs.

GreyHorace

Someone made New Guy comic that's actually quite heartwarming. I hope Mallorie Jessica Udischas sees it and realize that some people aren't trying to be assholes.

tumblr_8d7c9439780f1e2787ac9e9f0162df40_c2d5fcf4_1280-png.1083350

tumblr_a1d88dc2a6c8e4448f6842d52578df63_463d7ee6_1280-png.1083351

tumblr_f5c99695fc4bd3b490bd3f36c7705495_4b531188_1280-png.1083352

tumblr_c1b69f8b9491ca7f38ce67ce92c069e5_059342ae_1280-png.1083353

I''m not holding my breath though.

Lupingosei

Banned
This is very funny and wholesome, but you also realize she will get a job in the comic industry this year.

I bet she will get an internship in the next weeks or months and after that a job or something similar.

Yes, she is hateful and spiteful, but towards the right people and that is all it takes.

Because of PewdiePie and others, they will build a wall around her and protect her. This is about the tribe as well.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Glad that a loss edit was the 2nd parody posted. Makes me smile how quickly that thing worms its way in.

Also, it's been 11.5 years since loss.

GreyHorace

Exactly. I mean, Quinn's been working with DC Comics for many years now? And she hasn't exactly set the comic world on fire with her work.

The big two of Marvel and DC aren't exactly the publishing titans they were in the 80's and 90's. Even if Jess gets a gig there, I hardly think it's going to amount to much.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
All these people who need to signal how “sweet” and wonderful they are in their internet handles turn out to be the worst human beings.
by that logic, people who put evil in their handles must be really nice and easy-going? or are they evil?

wait that sounds like I am sucking up. shit!! I am not. yah big gobshite!!

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Something I really hate about social media is the ability to block people or lock your account to avoid being called out. We used to put people in the pillory as punishment. I feel like getting ratioed is the same sort of punishment. If you want to exist on social media, you shouldn't be able to escape unless you go in exile and leave the platform entirely. But blocking people or locking your account shouldn't be allowed.

Saruhashi

Banned

It's funny how laughing at the fact that PDP was robbed is framed as "criticizing" PDP but criticizing this clown for laughing at someone being robbed is framed as "harassment, doxing and death threats".

Honestly I wouldn't say that I particularly care that PDP was robbed outside of thinking that really really sucks.

I just don't see how you can look at someone who is a popular and well liked figure, publicly laugh at them being robbed and then act surprised or offended when you get shit for that. Of course people will come out and stick up for them.

It's just so weird. Like if there was a popular guy at your work, maybe he's just funny in the staff room or he helps people out with the job or something, and you just randomly go up and start having a go at them then, definitely, people are going to support them over you.

It can certainly work both ways but if your opening move is "haha that guy got robbed hahaha" then you've not done yourself any favors there at all.

"It's all the same phenomenon as Gamergate." OF COURSE.

It's crazy to me that these people think that they can get a pass on being a complete and utter asshole by crying "I was an asshole and now people are being mean to me so I am the victim actually".

I often think of it as a more evolved form of bullying.
The regular bully just picks on you and saunters away not giving a fuck. They are bigger and stronger and more intimidating so they just do whatever the hell they want knowing you are too afraid to retaliate.
This kind of bully though goads and prods and provokes you into reacting and then runs crying to an authority figure (or your peer group) claiming that you are bullying them. How fucking twisted is that? Using our cultural aversion to, and condemnation of, bullying in order to perform their own acts of bullying.

I feel sorry for the artist that this backfired in such a spectacular way but you also have to question if nobody close to them even tried to reel them in a bit and say "actually that's not cool". Then again, that's literally what New Guys does and now we see how it turned out.

In a more grim sequel New Guy probably stays away from her because she's such an uncaring and unrepentant asshole so she accuses him of whatever-ism or phobia seems most relevant and gets him fired.

Top Bottom