• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen cooling during these hot times.

Is you console quiet?

• PS5 remains silent

Votes: 128 69.9%
  • XSX/S remains silent

Votes: 87 47.5%
  • PS5 noticeably louder

Votes: 10 5.5%
  • XSX/S noticeably louder

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • PS4 Pro exploded

Votes: 18 9.8%

• Total voters

Jormatar

Launch PS5 is still silent as ever. I mean sure I could probably hear the fans if I go down and put my ears next to them. But I don't care that much.

Gold Member
Yeah same as you OP, in the UK and was 39c where I am. I was playing yesterday and didn’t hear a thing from my PS5.
My old pro would have taken off and be preparing for landing sometime about now…

Katajx

Gold Member
Is that really needed if I have AC in the games room?

I've cleaned my Pro a few times, but never bothered with the thermal paste. So far the only game that put it in jet engine mode was God of War, which is weird because later on I played RDR2 on the same console and it was much quietter.
Yeah I reapplied on my pro twice and it went from jet engine to quiet. Not sure if I didn’t do it as well the first time as it only lasted a few months. Still quiet though.

DragonNCM

XSS is damn quiet.......I even wander if fucking fan even works.
PS5(Digital) also quiet but sometimes on demanding games on quality settings there is louder spinning from fun.

Topher

Gold Member
PS5 when loading up

jet engine GIF

You mean the disc drive?

No way the PS5 sounds like a jet engine ffs 😂 the only time I have ever hear it is when there's a disc inside

Same here. And that's not a constant sound. Just occasional when it reads data from disc.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Apart from the disc drive when I turned it on, my PS5 was quiet. It was 32C in my bedroom at the time (according to my clocks thermometer, anyway).
The next gen consoles were really well designed.

Darchaos

My ps5 is still quiet as a wet fart! Its there, i can feel its precense, but i cant hear it. I love it! My old ps4 on the other hand.....

Duchess

I played The Last of Us Part 2 when it was hot outside, and my PS4's fan was going like crazy the whole time.

My PS5 on the other hand remains whisper quiet. I'm very impressed with the cooling Sony have in place for that machine.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Who cares honestly. The box will be cooled well enough anyway
This. Cooling matters in a server room where there are tons of units to put out heat. But even in a 107F (40C) room with a PC, Xbox and a PS5 running would be fine.
Not that it would be comfortable.

Aion002

Here in Brazil during january we had thermal sensations close to 45C...

I can't remember my Series S making a sound, quietest console ever for me, sometimes I wonder if the fan is even working correctly. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

My PS4 pro used to do this. I ended up taking it apart and reapplying thermal paste. It made it better for a while but then it was back to sounding like a jet engine

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Is that really needed if I have AC in the games room?

I've cleaned my Pro a few times, but never bothered with the thermal paste. So far the only game that put it in jet engine mode was God of War, which is weird because later on I played RDR2 on the same console and it was much quietter.
The PS45 Pro was easily the loudest system I have ever owned. Replacing the thermal paste helped a ton. I even bought a fan that was supposedly quieter, but it ended up not being quieter and was actually louder, so I went back to the factory fan.

My flat doesn't get hot (if it's close to 40C outside like today, inside it's like 25 at most), so the Xbox stays as silent as ever.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I’ve got a family room in a finished basement which pretty much stays the same temp all year round. 👍

Skifi28

I rarely use AC and my house temperature hovers in the 30-32 degree range. PS5 has remained as silent as in winter, I'm really impressed.

Man... that temperature and no A/C? Got to ask, whereabouts do you live? I've heard lots of folks in mountainous/higher elevation areas don't have A/C.

Lowland dweller here. Frequently gets above 100 where I'm at, heat index over 110 several days out of the year. A/C is pretty much necessary 😂
Western Washington. These temps are not the norm. 98 is like the highest it gets here normally and only for a day. Our summers are like 6 weeks long with temps in the 80s usually.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Xbox One X and Series X have been deadly quiet. Cant even tell they are on. They might be the quietest optical drive consoles I've owned.

Rockondevil

That's a common temp over here in northern Australia and my console runs fine. Sometimes I do wonder if I should put the AC on for it, but I haven't.

Basically : On winter game with a full fat gaming rig as a heater. Play the most demanding AAA games. In the summer, game on your phone (Xcloud or emulation) or something like a PS2.
Yesteray my phone (galaxy a71)shut itself down because it was too hot (40c)

flying_sq

My PS4 Pro used to make a bunch of noise, but I took it apart, put liquid metal on it, and cleaned out anything I could. I can't remember the last time I heard it when playing a game.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I haven't done anything extra beyond keeping my consoles in a well ventilated, open, space.

Haven't launched my PS4 Pro since Horizon so I'm not sure how loud that's gonna get by the time I run GOW: Ragnarok on it.

Xbox has been whisper quiet since day 1. The vapor chamber cooling is incredibly effective.

Neff

PS5 hums very, very quietly. You have to listen for it and be close to the unit, but it's there. It's still practically silent compared to my PS3, PS4 or PC.

Series X is completely silent, but I haven't got any graphically intensive games for it yet, I'm mostly just playing Retroarch and 360 games on it.

the only time I can actually hear the PS5 is when the disc drive spins and that only lasts a moment. So glad sony finally sorted out the noise issues from their consoles.

Top Bottom