• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Gen I Hope Fighting Games Have...

KingJ2002

The option to play non ranked matches / online practice mode.

The main problem with fighting games on xbox live aside from the lag is the stat whores.

DOA: Ultimate is almost ruined by this... for example a C player will walk into a room with SS players... the minute his turn comes up... they go back to the lobby... all the SS players leave in fear of losing their rank if they play against "the mysterious C rank player."

then there's your 2D online fighter... stat whoring so bad that about 3/5 games i play... i get dropped on. I have to lower my skill level in matches just to make the match seem close so people don't leave. If there were a better online setup for fighting games like SFAC things would be alot better.

for example... if capcom took halo 2's automatchmaking for ranked games people can play with others on their skill level easy. Use set rules for matches and If the player drops... you get the win... they get a disconnect on their record. I still don't understand why capcom insists on using the "Win / Matches Played" record system.

For unranked games they can use the normal optimatch screen where they can select who they want to train with or play some cheap, customizable and harmless games without having someone waiting to press "start, up, A button" at the end of the match.

I think DOA: Ultimate is a step in the right direction in how online fighters should be handled... the virtual arcade feature kept people playing.

but there is more that could be done to make fighting online a better experience for the hardcore player thats looking to make a name for themself... or the casual player that looking for a couple of fun matches.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
KingJ2002 said:
The option to play non ranked matches / online practice mode.

The main problem with fighting games on xbox live aside from the lag is the stat whores.

DOA: Ultimate is almost ruined by this... for example a C player will walk into a room with SS players... the minute his turn comes up... they go back to the lobby... all the SS players leave in fear of losing their rank if they play against "the mysterious C rank player."

I know what you mean; my rank online is pretty low in Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike, but I've been doing a lot of practicing with Elena and feel that I've found my primary character for the game after years of never really settling on one character. So I've been doing better in matches online and after a few matches I beat a SS rank player. He then disconnects right after the game is about to go the rematch screen. I hate people like that.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Florian said:
Bouncing boobies.

MaiShiranui05.gif

w00t.

newsguy

I don't play 2D fighters, but I watch my friend play SVC chaos on live and the lag is aweful. That's what needs to be fixed next gen.

TheDuce22

Banned
The problem is with the people your playing, not with the ranking system. It shouldnt be that much of an issue but for some reason people NEED to have a good ranking. The lag is nonexistant in DoA Ultimate btw. How is it in Street Fighter 3rd Strike?

Lyte Edge

Of course the problem lies with who we're playing; the ranking systems need to be adjusted to handle cheaters, however. If you pull your connection the moment someone else is about to win, you should be penalized for it. If someone with a high rank wants to be a wuss and not fight someone with a lower rank in case they lose their standing, they should add a filter option to only play against people with a ranking similar to your own.

TheDuce22 said:
The lag is nonexistant in DoA Ultimate btw. How is it in Street Fighter 3rd Strike?

The lag isn't nonexistant in DOA Ultimate; it all depends on your connection and the speed of the people you are playing with.

None of the lag problems will ever be solved until everyone has connections that are about the same speed as each other.

mosaic said:
... high-resolution sprites, 60 FPS animation, and 2D... 2D.... 2D!!!

That could have been done on the DC for crying out loud. Those things don't depend on next gen power. They depend on man power needed to generate all those frames of new artwork! I don't think any dev/pub wants to spend that kind of money for a 2D fighter, with their sales the way they are.

Lyte Edge

Shogmaster said:
That could have been done on the DC for crying out loud. Those things don't depend on next gen power. They depend on man power needed to generate all those frames of new artwork! I don't think any dev/pub wants to spend that kind of money for a 2D fighter, with their sales the way they are.

Sales, yes. But manpower? Come on; there's fan-made 2D fighting games with great artwork and animation out there that were made for free.

TheDuce22

Banned
The lag isn't nonexistant in DOA Ultimate; it all depends on your connection and the speed of the people you are playing with.

Have you tried it? There is no lag. It must have the best netcode on the face of the planet.

Lyte Edge

TheDuce22 said:
Have you tried it? There is no lag. It must have the best netcode on the face of the planet.

Of course, and there's lag depending on who is playing with you. I no longer own the game, but the best experience I had playing a fighting game online was Mortal Kombat Deception; 95% of the time it was completely lag free. All the fighting games vary in lag, but I find that Guilty Gear XX #Reload is the worst, followed by SvC Chaos. GGXX was unplayable for me most of the time.

I haven't played DOA Ultimate online in some time though; this is making me want to load it up, but I'd rather just play Street Fighter or mess around with CFE.

Top Bottom