• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Nintendo Switch model could release as early as late 2023

OuterLimits

Imagine if we get another New 3DS situation with 7 (seven) exclusive titles. Wild times.
Let's see. SNES games were only playable on N3DS correct? So maybe GameCube games will be exclusive to New Switch. Lol.

Btw, I don't think a Switch Pro situation is likely at this point.
Gamers want graphics, think about it the switch is 5+ years old, the situation is a new Zelda is coming out and that franchise really matters.

The insane number of people playing Minecraft and mobile games kind of implies the opposite. Very Impressive graphics are only super important to a small minority.

The Switch Pro model ship sailed like 2 years ago, I don't think Nintendo is dumb enough to release a Pro model after 7 years.

But, they are really slow regarding changing trends, so they might try it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It kind of tracks, when you think about it. There is nothing out there about next-gen Nintendo hardware, like not even a whiff. If it was coming in early 2024, we'd be hearing reports and rumors about it. If Nintendo is pivoting to a souped-up Super Switch to get an extra 3 years out of the Switch, that actually makes sense. And explains lack of buzz around new hardware. Maybe the "canceled" Switch Pro that DF reported on in January is actually just taking Nintendo a lot longer to do, based on chip shortage and component prices being higher than they wanted. Maybe they had to scale down the spec upgrade to make it profitable to sell at $399. And it also tracks with the report that Nintendo was letting suppliers know they were increasing Switch orders, and increasing their forecast for Switch going into year 7. Which is unheard of in the console lifecycle of any system.

It fits in nicely though if they are making a Switch model with upgraded specs. It could be fully BC, and just run games better out of the box, or with minimal work. Exclusive software could happen, but wouldn't be crucial if it doesn't. One X and PS4 Pro never had exclusive software, they just ran games way, way better, depending on the game. Like, Nintendo could even do a new dock that is based on the OLED dock template, but make it so in TV mode, it outputs at 4K for video apps/ certain games. Or upscaled to checkerboard 4K in TV Mode, like PS4 Pro did.

Seriously, this all tracks, and makes sense. Nintendo not doing E3, and not dating or talking about any games after July this year, holding onto everything. Could be prepping for some kind of live in-person thing that they put on themselves. Like a global version of Nintendo Live. Or a new Nintendo Switch Presentation, like they held for the original Switch in 2017 to unveil it. Sony used to do that for hardware announcements. I think the last one was in autumn 2016, they held a Playstation Meeting to unveil the PS4 Pro.

A genuine Switch Pro/ Super Switch, like a meaningful hardware upgrade, would definitely cause Switch sales to stop declining, and outside of a successor, would be the only way at this point in the cycle to increase hardware sales YoY.

I'm imagining:

-$399, no bundled software - (might have to be above $400 but just depends on how things go this year)
-64GB SSD (tiny by modern standards, but Switch games are tiny compared to the other consoles, and right now the load times on Switch are continually worsening as games get bigger)
-4K DLSS in TV Mode (on a game-by-game basis, but all video apps will support it)
-battery life will be about the same as OG Switch/ possibly slightly worse due to the higher spec
-no OLED screen (cut costs to hit $399 target price)
-Analog triggers
-fully BC with all existing Switch software/ NSO and save cloud data fully carries over with Nintendo Account
-no exclusive games for now, but could happen in the future
-fully compatible with all Switch accessories/ controllers
-existing key titles being updated to run better as part of the initial "launch lineup" - (tracks with what NateDrake said he was hearing from developers/ contacts back in summer 2021)
-Metroid Prime 4 (also on OG Switch) intentionally not being shown off until the Super Switch is unveiled, as it will be the headline launch title/ technical showpiece for it, Holiday 2023.
-announce in August (around GamesCom), for the minimum amount of time needed for marketing and pre-sales activity, so that sales of existing models don't evaporate. - (Explains skipping E3 this year, even though E3 is back. It would have just been too early to show it based on their timeline).
-coincide with Nintendo Selects/ Player's Choice line of older Switch titles brought back $29.99-$39.99 (Arms, 1-2 Switch, Odyssey, Super Mario Party, BotW, Xenoblade 2, Octopath 1, etc to start)

If there's no OLED that's a 100% deal breaker for me. This thing HAS TO be an upgrade in every single way. Otherwise I'm done with Nintendo until they release an actual new console, which unfortunately would mean no TOTK for me (I don't have my original Switch anymore), but it is what it is.

nial

Gold Member
I can't wait until the people foaming at the mouth about a Switch 2 get given the equivalent of a New 3DS to last them another few years.
Holy shit, they cannot be THAT retarded, right? This would be like Sony releasing the PS4 Pro in July 2020 (3-4 years later than expected) and the PS5 in November 2022.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
It kind of tracks, when you think about it. There is nothing out there about next-gen Nintendo hardware, like not even a whiff. If it was coming in early 2024, we'd be hearing reports and rumors about it.
KopiteKimi and Nvidia leak spilled plenty of data on Switch 2. I don’t believe there was ever a Pro. That was the OLED being discussed.

Last edited:

demigod

They are releasing the updated switch just in time for Call of Duty.

J/K, they are probably updating the graphics ready for Switch Too which is probably coming out next year

It kind of tracks, when you think about it. There is nothing out there about next-gen Nintendo hardware, like not even a whiff. If it was coming in early 2024, we'd be hearing reports and rumors about it. If Nintendo is pivoting to a souped-up Super Switch to get an extra 3 years out of the Switch, that actually makes sense. And explains lack of buzz around new hardware. Maybe the "canceled" Switch Pro that DF reported on in January is actually just taking Nintendo a lot longer to do, based on chip shortage and component prices being higher than they wanted. Maybe they had to scale down the spec upgrade to make it profitable to sell at $399. And it also tracks with the report that Nintendo was letting suppliers know they were increasing Switch orders, and increasing their forecast for Switch going into year 7. Which is unheard of in the console lifecycle of any system.

It fits in nicely though if they are making a Switch model with upgraded specs. It could be fully BC, and just run games better out of the box, or with minimal work. Exclusive software could happen, but wouldn't be crucial if it doesn't. One X and PS4 Pro never had exclusive software, they just ran games way, way better, depending on the game. Like, Nintendo could even do a new dock that is based on the OLED dock template, but make it so in TV mode, it outputs at 4K for video apps/ certain games. Or upscaled to checkerboard 4K in TV Mode, like PS4 Pro did.

Seriously, this all tracks, and makes sense. Nintendo not doing E3, and not dating or talking about any games after July this year, holding onto everything. Could be prepping for some kind of live in-person thing that they put on themselves. Like a global version of Nintendo Live. Or a new Nintendo Switch Presentation, like they held for the original Switch in 2017 to unveil it. Sony used to do that for hardware announcements. I think the last one was in autumn 2016, they held a Playstation Meeting to unveil the PS4 Pro.

A genuine Switch Pro/ Super Switch, like a meaningful hardware upgrade, would definitely cause Switch sales to stop declining, and outside of a successor, would be the only way at this point in the cycle to increase hardware sales YoY.

I'm imagining:

-$399, no bundled software - (might have to be above $400 but just depends on how things go this year)
-64GB SSD (tiny by modern standards, but Switch games are tiny compared to the other consoles, and right now the load times on Switch are continually worsening as games get bigger)
-4K DLSS in TV Mode (on a game-by-game basis, but all video apps will support it)
-battery life will be about the same as OG Switch/ possibly slightly worse due to the higher spec
-no OLED screen (cut costs to hit $399 target price)
-Analog triggers
-fully BC with all existing Switch software/ NSO and save cloud data fully carries over with Nintendo Account
-no exclusive games for now, but could happen in the future
-fully compatible with all Switch accessories/ controllers
-existing key titles being updated to run better as part of the initial "launch lineup" - (tracks with what NateDrake said he was hearing from developers/ contacts back in summer 2021)
-Metroid Prime 4 (also on OG Switch) intentionally not being shown off until the Super Switch is unveiled, as it will be the headline launch title/ technical showpiece for it, Holiday 2023.
-announce in August (around GamesCom), for the minimum amount of time needed for marketing and pre-sales activity, so that sales of existing models don't evaporate. - (Explains skipping E3 this year, even though E3 is back. It would have just been too early to show it based on their timeline).
-coincide with Nintendo Selects/ Player's Choice line of older Switch titles brought back $29.99-$39.99 (Arms, 1-2 Switch, Odyssey, Super Mario Party, BotW, Xenoblade 2, Octopath 1, etc to start)
What do you mean there’s nothing out there about it?

Bloomberg went on record as saying they spoke to 10 developers who had new “4k devkits”.

There was a ginormous amount of info including some of it’s hardware specs about the new Tegra mobile replacement from the Nvidia data hack last year. Literal data from the “horses mouth” so to speak.

There has been direct references of “NVN2” in the documentation of several middleware engines over the past year. The current Switch is referred to as “NVN”.

An insider with a good track record has said for over a year that the new Switch supports ray tracing and DLSS 2.0.

That chip which is named “Drake” is ready for mass production. The most logical reason that the hardware hasn’t been launched last Winter or announced for this May with Zelda 2 is because Nintendo could not secure enough manufacturing bandwidth to provide retailers with enough stock to support the launch of a new console which is also the follow up to an incredibly successful product.

To me it looks like Nintendo will wait for either this Holiday season when they’ll probably have a new 3D Mario game to launch the console with or they’ll wait for Spring 2024 when they’ll have Mario Kart 9 to launch it with.

Legend of Zelda, 3D Mario and Mario Kart 9 are the only games that are strong enough to launch a Switch 2 imo.

TLZ

Banned
I can't wait until the people foaming at the mouth about a Switch 2 get given the equivalent of a New 3DS to last them another few years.
New 3ds was released 4 years after. By the time the next Switch releases it'll be 7 yrs, or almost. That's just not going to happen. And especially not when sales are on decline. Time for a new shiny toy

The Switch Pro model ship sailed like 2 years ago, I don't think Nintendo is dumb enough to release a Pro model after 7 years.

But, they are really slow regarding changing trends, so they might try it.

As lame as it might seem to some people, having GPU performance comparable to the Base PS4 is a big enough upgrade that it almost has to be called Switch 2 or something comparable and not a Pro model.

kubricks

So it's "New" but like a current Switch with some new sticker or color scheme right? Or an extra saturated display that is 0.1 inch bigger? Just fuck off.

As much as I like Nintendo games I stopped caring a long time ago when it runs its own exclusive games at 20 fps with stutter.
Show the new hardware or go home.

MAtgS

OLED Lite would be my guess. The graphics patch is just getting SV on Switch's level.

Last edited:
Would make sense, ride hype into the holidays as Switch starts leveling off.

Problem is this is going to be a big year for Sony and Microsoft, so that might prevent them fully utilizing sales potential.

Celcius

°Temp. member
If there's no OLED that's a 100% deal breaker for me. This thing HAS TO be an upgrade in every single way. Otherwise I'm done with Nintendo until they release an actual new console, which unfortunately would mean no TOTK for me (I don't have my original Switch anymore), but it is what it is.
Same, if there's no OLED then I'm just keeping my current Switch. I play 100% in handheld mode so it matters a lot to me.

RCU005

I put this in another post, but what I want for the new Nintendo console is to retain the hybrid nature, but this time being two different consoles in one. Divide the TV and handheld mode as if they were two different consoles and also divide the games in two categories (again, as if they were different consoles).

Make the portable device with good specs but then have a dock with extra hardware to boost the specs and performance. Maybe even dock it wouldn't be as powerful as a PS5/XSX but it would be close. In portable it could be like just better than the Switch.

Developers could make games exclusively for TV mode. This would allow games made for PS5/XSX to be ported as close as possible in quality. There would also be games exclusively for portable mode.

Of course there would also be games that can be used in both modes. Physical games could be differentiated with different colors (like red boxes are TV only, and blue boxes are Portable only).

supernova8

Banned
To me it looks like Nintendo will wait for either this Holiday season when they’ll probably have a new 3D Mario game to launch the console with or they’ll wait for Spring 2024 when they’ll have Mario Kart 9 to launch it with.

They basically having nothing at all for the holiday season so I guess let's just wait to see what (if anything) Nintendo announces at/after its full year results briefing.

I think either a reveal during the E3 week to release during the holiday season, or a reveal in January 2024 (to avoid cannibalizing holiday 2023 sales) followed by a release in late spring 2024. I also think they will announce a price-drop for the existing Switch lineup just after it launches. Assuming everything is back-compat, there's no reason for them to kill the existing Switch.

Last edited:

Lasha

I put this in another post, but what I want for the new Nintendo console is to retain the hybrid nature, but this time being two different consoles in one. Divide the TV and handheld mode as if they were two different consoles and also divide the games in two categories (again, as if they were different consoles).

Make the portable device with good specs but then have a dock with extra hardware to boost the specs and performance. Maybe even dock it wouldn't be as powerful as a PS5/XSX but it would be close. In portable it could be like just better than the Switch.

Developers could make games exclusively for TV mode. This would allow games made for PS5/XSX to be ported as close as possible in quality. There would also be games exclusively for portable mode.

Of course there would also be games that can be used in both modes. Physical games could be differentiated with different colors (like red boxes are TV only, and blue boxes are Portable only).

That strategy would confuse the market. More likely is that Nintendo would require all games released on the switch to support both modes similar to how Microsoft requires a series S version.

Kataploom

Gold Member
So it's "New" but like a current Switch with some new sticker or color scheme right? Or an extra saturated display that is 0.1 inch bigger? Just fuck off.

As much as I like Nintendo games I stopped caring a long time ago when it runs its own exclusive games at 20 fps with stutter.
Show the new hardware or go home.
Ffs which game runs like that? I'm the first one wishing a pro or 2 just to play some games at 60 fps if Nintendo decided to release patches for some, but their main franchises are 1080p or 900p at 60 fps, if anything, Nintendo put more 60 fps games by a wide margin of the big three. Even their 30 fps games tend to look and run great, save for some rushed exceptions like Xenoblade 2

Marvel14

Banned
Ouch brutal...but it sounds like Nintendo is about to embrace a graded power system so likely one configuration will be a bigger upgrade (via the dock?) while the handheld upgrade may well be New Nintendo Switch +.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Ouch brutal...but it sounds like Nintendo is about to embrace a graded power system so likely one configure will be a bigger upgrade (via the dock?) while the handheld upgrade may well be New Nintendo Switch +.
Maybe they saw how much people were willing to pay for PS5s and GPUs at one point and thought "shit we could've put out something more powerful and more expensive and it still would have sold gangbusters"

Last edited:

Bloomberg went on record as saying they spoke to 10 developers who had new “4k devkits”.

There was a ginormous amount of info including some of it’s hardware specs about the new Tegra mobile replacement from the Nvidia data hack last year. Literal data from the “horses mouth” so to speak.

There has been direct references of “NVN2” in the documentation of several middleware engines over the past year. The current Switch is referred to as “NVN”.

An insider with a good track record has said for over a year that the new Switch supports ray tracing and DLSS 2.0.

That chip which is named “Drake” is ready for mass production. The most logical reason that the hardware hasn’t been launched last Winter or announced for this May with Zelda 2 is because Nintendo could not secure enough manufacturing bandwidth to provide retailers with enough stock to support the launch of a new console which is also the follow up to an incredibly successful product.

Legend of Zelda, 3D Mario and Mario Kart 9 are the only games that are strong enough to launch a Switch 2 imo.

Yep, pretty much this. Anyone that is anticipating new hardware from Nintendo keeps up this news, especially about Drake. Saying that Nintendo will release a new Switch that's akin to something like the 3ds is shitposting.

Marvel14

Banned
Maybe they saw how much people were willing to pay for PS5s and GPUs at one point and thought "shit we could've put out something more powerful and more expensive and it still would have sold gangbusters"
Also what they should have thought with the Wii. If they'd made the Wii HD from the start and $150 more expensive- not "two gamecubes duct taped together" they would have avoided the Wii U debacle.

supernova8

Banned
Also what they should have thought with the Wii. If they'd made the Wii HD from the start and $150 more expensive- not "two gamecubes duct taped together" they would have avoided the Wii U debacle.
Actually I'm not sure about that. I think part of the reason why Nintendo currently does not (+ cannot and should not) compete directly with Sony and Microsoft is that they are waaaaaaaaaaay behind in terms of online infrastructure. I mean seriously you need a smartphone for online voice chat lol. I think if they came out now with a traditional (non-portable) console priced anywhere near the PS5 and Series X it would bomb worse than the failed terror attack at Glasgow airport.

The only way Nintendo catches up in terms of infrastructure is if Sony and Microsoft sort of reach "endgame" in terms of features to add.

Last edited:

Nice info. so on a scale from Switch to Series S to PS5, where do you think it sits in performance?

RoadHazard

Gold Member

That's not a hybrid anything, that's just two different consoles. But you get both when you buy it? That's gonna be expensive as hell.

Kappa

4k and ray tracing on a portable? Lay off the crack pipe. That doesn't exist for years, still hyped for a new released tho

Last edited:

kubricks

Ffs which game runs like that? I'm the first one wishing a pro or 2 just to play some games at 60 fps if Nintendo decided to release patches for some, but their main franchises are 1080p or 900p at 60 fps, if anything, Nintendo put more 60 fps games by a wide margin of the big three. Even their 30 fps games tend to look and run great, save for some rushed exceptions like Xenoblade 2

Age of Calamity, one of the games I absolutely looking forward to play, bogs down to 15 fps at times with horrendous frame pacing. And it's only available on the Switch.
Shin Megami Tensei V. Despite being a turn based game it cannot keep a stable 30 fps throughout with pretty horrible pop-in to be honest.
Monster Hunter Stories 2, it's a stuttering mess considered the really simple graphic it offers. I know this is not exclusive but it was heavily advertised on the platform.

Yes I know there are games that runs great, in particular the Mario ones and some ports like Nier Automata is absolutely amazing, but there is no denying the fact the hardware is aging pretty badly. The low resolution and 30 fps is absolutely fine..., when there is no comparison. There are quite a few alternatives in the market showing us handheld gaming doesn't have to be that way.

I have been looking forward to any small upgrade on the Switch so I can have a stable 30 fps experience on AOC and many other ports but no, they give me the OLED instead with the same drifting joycon. Thanks but no thanks. Show me some new hardware and I will look again.

UnNamed

Banned
cXqtZq0.png

anothertech

Switch sleep

Just a switch that adds timegating to all your games and only turns on if you got 8 hours of sleep or more

v1oz

So potentially a n3DS situstion? Not sure if that would be good now. The Switch needs a replacemebt now, not an update. Thst ship sailes 2 years ago
I'm sure they could release something much more powerful with NVIDIA DLSS2 and Raytracing whilst still being a Switch.

Last edited:

v1oz

4k and ray tracing on a portable? Lay off the crack pipe. That doesn't exist for years, still hyped for a new released tho
Rumours are that it will have DLSS2.2 and Ray tracing. According to DF, DLSS looks even better than native 4K in some instances.

gundalf

So potentially a n3DS situstion? Not sure if that would be good now. The Switch needs a replacemebt now, not an update. Thst ship sailes 2 years ago

You can't infer it from that since the Switch brand is so powerful, there is no way of Nintendo giving it up. What ever Nintendo's next gen console will be, it will have the word Switch in its naming.

Rykan

The only games that are strong enough to launch a Switch 2? Huh? What does that even mean?

You do realize that the Switch 2 is going to be sold out as soon as it hits store shelves for at least two years after it comes out, regardless of what games it launches with, right? There is absolutely no reason at all to launch with a strong launch title because you're not going to meet demand anytime soon regardless.

That's not to say that there won't be a new Mario or something like that ready for launch, but there's no way that they are specifically aiming the launch of their next gen console to coincide with that game in particular.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Age of Calamity, one of the games I absolutely looking forward to play, bogs down to 15 fps at times with horrendous frame pacing. And it's only available on the Switch.
Shin Megami Tensei V. Despite being a turn based game it cannot keep a stable 30 fps throughout with pretty horrible pop-in to be honest.
Monster Hunter Stories 2, it's a stuttering mess considered the really simple graphic it offers. I know this is not exclusive but it was heavily advertised on the platform.

Yes I know there are games that runs great, in particular the Mario ones and some ports like Nier Automata is absolutely amazing, but there is no denying the fact the hardware is aging pretty badly. The low resolution and 30 fps is absolutely fine..., when there is no comparison. There are quite a few alternatives in the market showing us handheld gaming doesn't have to be that way.

I have been looking forward to any small upgrade on the Switch so I can have a stable 30 fps experience on AOC and many other ports but no, they give me the OLED instead with the same drifting joycon. Thanks but no thanks. Show me some new hardware and I will look again.
Literally the ones I am looking forward and holding back for the same reason but those are not made by Nintendo, still will give it to you, but Nintendo made games run and look pretty good on Switch, hell Metroid Prime Remaster runs flawlessly and just came out

Last edited:

Banned
Not exactly true. They still got faster loading times IIRC. And the 3D feature worked way better thanks to the eye tracking camera.

still tho, even Nintendo was too lazy to patch/support their first party games.
especially Pokémon really needed it back then. and with a modded New 3DS you could use the hardware and it actually made the Pokémon games run way better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom