• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus is increasing its pricing globally starting September 6th

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I think the problem is there’s a lot of overlap with GamePass and the latter is a better value with first party games included. PS plus just feels redundant and now overpriced as well

So if one service is going to get cancelled for me, it’s more likely to be PS Plus

Yes. I am subbed to both services (for now), and one of the reasons the PS+ drops don't get to me like many other posters is because every month, almost half or more of the games have already been on GP before.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yes. I am subbed to both services (for now), and one of the reasons the PS+ drops don't get to me like many other posters is because every month, almost half or more of the games have already been on GP before.
Pretty much. And I'm a heavy games consumer so getting stuff (1st party and indies) earlier makes a huge difference for me. Getting some older stuff is fine, but it dramatically increases the chances I already bought it. Extra looks like a crazy value still if you just have a PS5 and don't buy tons of games. You get a giant backlog for cheap.

Maybe they'll be more aggressive on some day 1 stuff like Sea of Stars.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

The only ps plus essential games I've played that came out the last year are deaths door and jedi fallen order, both of which I owned already.

Yakuza, maybe 2k golf, Olli Olli, and Tony Hawk are the only ones I might try out of the last year

Seeing it laid out like this is bullshit and not worth the money. This price increase is really a slap on the face as ps essential is pretty worthless for me.

dotnotbot

New prices just got announced in polish currency and they are a bit lower (7-8%) than previously announced prices in Euro so at least they did some small regional adjustment. Still sucks.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
When did this happen? Or do you mean the Xbox one reveal controversy with the always online and no sharing policy?
MS tried to raise the price of Xbox Live Gold from $60 a year to $120. Gamers whined, including Xbox shills, and MS changed it.

If that hadn't happened, I doubt the Gamepass Core option would exist.

Be angry Sony fans. Fuck Sony for these price raises. Yes, I get we have inflation, but that is an INSANE price increase.

Ar¢tos

New prices just got announced in polish currency and they are a bit lower (7-8%) than previously announced prices in Euro so at least they did some small regional adjustment. Still sucks.
Interesting, I only want the online play, don't care for cloud saves, so I might make a polish account when my sub ends and get it there to play on my main account.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
You need PS plus to play any game online. All the fighting games like SF6 and upcoming MK1 and T8, the upcoming Monster Hunter (can you imagine play play MH full offline? Lmao rofl), GTA6 will release with online mode that you can't try as well, you can't play Coop PVP in next Fromsoftware games also on PS5, but it will be free on PC, and so on. Not having online access on all those games and others it's literally like having access to some an not full portion of a game you bought at full price, how can anyone can defend this?

You don't have to pay anything on PC beside the game price, in PS5 you have to buy the game and the 80$ minimum price just to play online

If you already have a good PC there is no reason to buy a PS5 at this point, except the full Solo games like FF16

Based on what they think, online gaming is a privilege not an entitlement. If PS Plus is free it will be ridden with cheaters and stuffs.

Cyberpunkd

If PS Plus is free it will be ridden with cheaters and stuffs.
Cheating argument is rubbish and an outright lie - all most popular F2P games, including those having champion events with prizes going into millions are available on PC. The technology is there to easily eliminate cheating.

dotnotbot

Interesting, I only want the online play, don't care for cloud saves, so I might make a polish account when my sub ends and get it there to play on my main account.

If you want to go as cheap as possible then Turkey has 12 months of Essential for equivalent of 8.3 Euro.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
This is genuinely great news.

It means Sony is confident AF about the GAAS tsunami that's about to hit our shores. Get ready for the new era y'all...surfs up!

dotnotbot

How do you buy and apply the PS+ this way?

You have to create turkish account first (I recommend doing it on console) and then add a credit/debit card - finding one that works might be tricky as turkish store is picky when it comes to accepting cards for some reason. And then buy the subscription with that card. Set your console as primary for this account so you can play online on any other account.

Last edited:
People complaining on here while the Sony execs sit like the cable guys on South Park with holes in their shirts so they can sit playing with their nipples

Last edited:

Gudji

I haven't subbed for ps plus is over a year and this is fucking bad unless they're doing some really big changes to the service which I doubt.

Ar¢tos

If you want to go as cheap as possible then Turkey has 12 months of Essential for equivalent of 8.3 Euro.
The problem with Turkey is that they don't sell codes, it only card transactions and a Turkish credit/debit card is required. In Poland I have a friend that can buy it for me.

Fbh

You need PS plus to play any game online. All the fighting games like SF6 and upcoming MK1 and T8, the upcoming Monster Hunter (can you imagine play play MH full offline? Lmao rofl), GTA6 will release with online mode that you can't try as well, you can't play Coop PVP in next Fromsoftware games also on PS5, but it will be free on PC, and so on. Not having online access on all those games and others it's literally like having access to some an not full portion of a game you bought at full price, how can anyone can defend this?

Not to mention with their new push for GAAS and them releasing day 1 on PC we'll run into the scenario where people will be playing Sony first party games on PC day 1 with free multiplayer while on Ps5 you'll have to pay at least $80 a yer for the privilege (at least the ones that are paid, F2P don't need Plus).

I'm sure at least some of their upcoming GAAS on Ps5 will:
- Be full priced
- Requiere $80 a year to play
- Be full of microtransactions

Sony executives must be dying with anticipation
hes-excited

Last edited:

dotnotbot

The problem with Turkey is that they don't sell codes, it only card transactions and a Turkish credit/debit card is required. In Poland I have a friend that can buy it for me.

Yeah, some multicurrency cards used to work like Revolut (stopped working long time ago) or Conotoxia (people say it can't be added anymore but it used to work up until a week or two ago) but now I see people are using turkish prepaid cards Oldubil/FUPS, here are the details in case anyone is interested, you have to go through some hoops to add funds to them:

Personally I only have Conotoxia tied to my turkish account (used it to buy some PS3 games) so I can't help with the above.

PS5 cant do USB saves? Weird. You could do USB saves even on 360 way back.

The system must have an architecture issue. Or my memory faintly remembers something about not allowing it to prevent hackers from uploading mods and such. who knows.
I also think they won’t allow traditional USB saves on the PS5 to get people to pay for PS Plus to get access to cloud storage or cloud saves which is very shady imo.

Last edited:

adamsapple

I also think they won’t allow traditional USB saves on the PS5 to get people to pay for PS Plus to get access to cloud storage or cloud saves which is very shady imo.

Isn't the main reason to deter hacking / modding saves ?

On both PS3 and 360, hacking and modding saves was pretty rampant. I used to do it all the time lol.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

On both PS3 and 360, hacking and modding saves was pretty rampant. I used to do it all the time lol.
Hahaha. Were you one of the COD god mode and all-match killstreak guys? Damn you! Not sure why some players even stick around for that. I immediately bolt. lol

adamsapple

Hahaha. Were you one of the COD god mode and all-match killstreak guys? Damn you! Not sure why some players even stick around for that. I immediately bolt. lol

No no, never in MP. Didn't risk getting banned.

Mostly single player games like the Mass Effect stuff and giving me lots of resources.

Last edited:
Way too expensive for me to continue. I will stick with game pass ultimate fund by bing. Funny how they decide to raise the price with nothing in return and start field come out next week.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
You do for non-F2P multiplayer though. And cloud saves when you have multi-consoles.

No way to sugar coat this one. Sony is acting like a bag of dicks in the summer heat.

This is true. And it's the main issue I have with people wanting or wishing for an all-digital-only future. Or a future that's 100% based on videogame subscription services.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

You don't have to pay anything on PC beside the game price, in PS5 you have to buy the game and the 80$ minimum price just to play online

If you already have a good PC there is no reason to buy a PS5 at this point, except the full Solo games like FF16

This is a weird\extreme point to make. A good PC with a PS5 or Switch sounds like a great combination.

I heard as well actually so that’s probably part of the reason, but I’m still mostly leaning towards Sony wanting people to pay for those cloud saves though.

Last edited:
This gen Sony seems to be back to their arrogance, like they've been with the PS3 at first. Except that for the PS5 the first half of its lifespan was pretty great, but the second part is shit. No real big surprising 1st party exclusives incoming (SM2 / Wolverine and that is all).

So the ps5 is now :
- No big surprising first party incoming.
- Increasing the PS+ every year (wtf is that) even though they don't add content on it (the premium PS+ makes no point, I know it because I subbed it). I mean 119 to 155 ? It is a 30 PERCENT INCREASE in 1 year.
- Insanely priced controller (240€ ? For comparison the DualShock 2 was 30€, I know inflation and all but...)
- An useless overpriced "remote play" device...

Seriously if I didn't love Final Fantasy that much, I would go full Xbox on this gen. Which is sad for me since I've owned every console since the Super Nintendo.
Games have very long time development, there is the thing

There are 3 God of War games between 2005 and 2010, but only 2 god of war games between 2018 and 2022

Complaining like games don't have long time development

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

How do you explain all multiplayer games being available on PC as well? “Hacking” argument always was a BS.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not to mention with their new push for GAAS and them releasing day 1 on PC we'll run into the scenario where people will be playing Sony first party games on PC day 1 with free multiplayer while on Ps5 you'll have to pay at least $80 a yer for the privilege (at least the ones that are paid, F2P don't need Plus).

I'm sure at least some of their upcoming GAAS on Ps5 will:
- Be full priced
- Requiere $80 a year to play
- Be full of microtransactions

Sony executives must be dying with anticipation
hes-excited
With the big fee hike, I'm leaning to all or most of their new GAAS coming to PS and PC being F2P. It's their way of covering server costs since PC online is free to being outside of the PS ecosystem. These games will have tons of mtx, but boosting the fee is their way of guaranteeing money to comp any unsuccessful games.

A 33% price hike can afford to lose 25% of the users and still break even. with Sony admitting not disclosing PS+ sub count going forward they know it'll sink. That's why they dont want to disclose it anymore. But lets say 10-15% of people bail ship. Thats ok for the corporate coffers because it's still a net gainer in revenue from subs.

Last edited:

Kupfer

And Sony is now using 60% of the money that we, the customers, give them, to develop GaaS that are - surprise - designed to take even more money from the customers.
That means we are now supposed to swallow the price increase and pay more so that Sony can develop games designed to extract more money from us.
You have to be aware of that. and there are people who even defend that - dfq.
I keep reading "that the cancellation of PS+ won't do any good anyway", "that only a fraction will leave and that Sony won't care", "that only a loud minority is crying and that later everyone will be a diligent ps plus member again" - of course this can be true, but do we have to accept beeing screwed without trying?
If a significant percentage of customers really do turn their backs on PS+, Sony will miss out on future customers for the games that are being developed based on the forecasts of the paying members.
Subscriptions and auto-renewable subs are money for Sony that allows them to plan for the next X years. If a portion of the customer base, and it doesn't have to be 25%, turns off Sonys money tap, it will affect Sony's future plans and make some chairmen wonder and hopefully rethink.

Who now sits back and thinks to say "it's no use anyway, it's only x $ a year, don't cry so much" must not be surprised if this behavior is exploited even more shamelessly in the future.
> higher paywalls
> even more mtx
>no physical media
>no used games market
>a store monopoly with prices that Sony can set at will without competition
> a greater dependence in favor of a multi billion $ company

I can and would like to do well and gladly without this shamelessness.

Last edited:
A 33% price hike can afford to lose 25% of the users and still break even. with Sony admitting not disclosing PS+ sub count going forward they know it'll sink. That's why they dont want to disclose it anymore. But lets say 10-15% of people bail ship. Thats ok for the corporate coffers because it's still a net gainer in revenue from subs.
Yes, there was probably someone with a calculator in a board meeting saying just that.

But what rubs me the wrong way is that I get approximately 15 mails a month from PlayStation about PSPlus offers and pre-orders and what not, but they somehow fail to inform me about this massive price change.

Last edited:
i have no idea why the meltdown.

Increasing the price of PS Plus for Sony could have potential benefits, such as enabling them to invest more in improving the online gaming experience, providing better quality games through the monthly free games offerings, and possibly funding the development of new and innovative features for the PlayStation Network. This could ultimately enhance the value and overall satisfaction for their subscribers.

Besides, inflation is a thing and they haven’t increase PS+ price for many years.

Overall this is a great move.
ZC4sfWE.jpg

ArtHands

Most will stay subscribed anyway for games like Street Fighter 6 or Call of Duty. So fighting this is useless.

If console players can accept $10 increment for AAA games why not this as well?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
i have no idea why the meltdown.

Increasing the price of PS Plus for Sony could have potential benefits, such as enabling them to invest more in improving the online gaming experience, providing better quality games through the monthly free games offerings, and possibly funding the development of new and innovative features for the PlayStation Network. This could ultimately enhance the value and overall satisfaction for their subscribers.

Besides, inflation is a thing and they haven’t increase PS+ price for many years.

Overall this is a great move.
Or it's simply applied to their net profits.

Sony's gaming division already makes somewhere around $2-3 billion profit per year the past 3-4 years. If that amount doesn't get applied to more quality games and innovative PSN features, no amount of extra profits will.

Pelao

My subscription ran out in February and I simply never found a good reason to renew it and, with this price increase, it is now certain that I never will.
Gamepass offers me a much better service for a stupidly cheaper price due to regional pricing.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
My subscription ran out in February and I simply never found a good reason to renew it and, with this price increase, it is now certain that I never will.
Gamepass offers me a much better service for a stupidly cheaper price due to regional pricing.
For PS MP gamers, their new GAAS games look like they'll be released on PC too. A free online platform.

So for anyone itching to play their new 10 GAAS coming out the next few years (that old bar graph shown last year said they'd be all released by 2025 assuming nothing gets delayed), just play it on PC.

ArtHands

Or it's simply applied to their net profits.

Sony's gaming division already makes somewhere around $2-3 billion profit per year the past 3-4 years. If that amount doesn't get applied to more quality games and innovative PSN features, no amount of extra profits will.

Everyone feels that Sony has been delivering countless quality titles so fair to say the money has been invested in them.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Everyone feels that Sony has been delivering countless quality titles so fair to say the money has been invested in them.
And the cost of those games are already covered in the $10+ billion profits they made the past 5 years from their gaming division. Adding an extra $500M - $1B sales from sub plan increases wont be benefiting gamers one bit. It'll just be applied to the bottom line as a profit boost.

They applied a 33% boost to the price and didn't even promote one benefit to gamers. And they gave gamers 1 week notice.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Most will stay subscribed anyway for games like Street Fighter 6 or Call of Duty. So fighting this is useless.

If console players can accept $10 increment for AAA games why not this as well?
Sony have reported slightly decreased purchase numbers because of the price hike, offset by the increase in revenue. This is because the software price hike was done with clear strategy: PS5 titles cost most, PS4 titles do not. This provides an inferred justification for a given customer: PS5 costs more because "next gen". As enthusiasts, we know that rationale is ludicrious, especially given titles like Horizon, God of War and GT7 are cross-gen. However, Sony pushed the messaging and it worked. With the PSN price hike, no only was the service already overpriced for what it is, Sony are literally offering nothing for the additional cost. I imagine they're seeing a slowdown in hardware adoption - their pie-in-the-sky 30m this year is becoming increasingly unlikely - and this is an attempt to offset the revenue decrease from the missing hardware. Improved revenue thanks ot the PSN price hike will keep the stock price drop to a minimum when Sony announces they missed their 30m target.

PlayStation fans are now looking at forking out more money for their games and more money for their online services, without clear improvements to either. And on the horizon, they're starring down a run of MTX-ladden multiplayer games designed to fleece as much additional money from them as possible. Making more money from less people appears to be Ryan's overall strategy for PlayStation, which helps his GAAS push make more sense given that that isn't why people buy PlayStation in the first place. I mentioned earlier in this thread that Ryan's PlayStation is going to have to learn its players only have so much money. This is the beginning of that lesson.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sony have reported slightly decreased purchase numbers because of the price hike, offset by the increase in revenue. This is because the software price hike was done with clear strategy: PS5 titles cost most, PS4 titles do not. This provides an inferred justification for a given customer: PS5 costs more because "next gen". As enthusiasts, we know that rationale is ludicrious, especially given titles like Horizon, God of War and GT7 are cross-gen. However, Sony pushed the messaging and it worked. With the PSN price hike, no only was the service already overpriced for what it is, Sony are literally offering nothing for the additional cost. I imagine they're seeing a slowdown in hardware adoption - their pie-in-the-sky 30m this year is becoming increasingly unlikely - and this is an attempt to offset the revenue decrease from the missing hardware. Improved revenue thanks ot the PSN price hike will keep the stock price drop to a minimum when Sony announces they missed their 30m target.

PlayStation fans are now looking at forking out more money for their games and more money for their online services, without clear improvements to either. And on the horizon, they're starring down a run of MTX-ladden multiplayer games designed to fleece as much additional money from them as possible. Making more money from less people appears to be Ryan's overall strategy for PlayStation, which helps his GAAS push make more sense given that that isn't why people buy PlayStation in the first place. I mentioned earlier in this thread that Ryan's PlayStation is going to have to learn its players only have so much money. This is the beginning of that lesson.
Console hardware has a saturation point.

The biggest hardware era was the 360/PS3/Wii era where tons of people bought consoles and handhelds. Add it up and it was probably 400-500M units. Since then, gaming has gotten way bigger, but the hardware has gone down. Some of that is due to Switch being a console/portable all in one. I dont think PS5/X will sell more than 360/PS3. People have moved on to mobile and PC.

And due to this, extra revenue doesn't come from more unit sales. It hits a max. So the next method for expanded sales is pricing, assuming the price hike delivers a net boost.

Absolutely no different than all the companies increasing prices too. The goal is for every customer lost, you make it up from everyone else paying more. And hopefully at the end of the day, it's a net positive. The big difference is I dont think there is one product line I can think of which pushed a 33% increase across the board. And one week's notice too.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Console hardware has a saturation point...
Of course it does. Sony shouldn't have announced a single-year 30m estimate, but it did, and now its trying to offset their inability to achieve it.
Absolutely no different than all the companies increasing prices too... The big difference is I dont think there is one product line I can think of which pushed a 33% increase across the board. And one week's notice too.
So... there is a difference?

Sony's move here is a result of them being the uncontested market leader. They know they're so entrenched that they don't really have to compete, so they're not. 33% price increase? Why not - what are PlayStation fans going to do, sell their PS5s?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Of course it does. Sony shouldn't have announced a single-year 30m estimate, but it did, and now its trying to offset their inability to achieve it.

So... there is a difference?

Sony's move here is a result of them being the uncontested market leader. They know they're so entrenched that they don't really have to compete, so they're not. 33% price increase? Why not - what are PlayStation fans going to do, sell their PS5s?
Increasing prices is common the last 3 years.

Increasing it 33% across the board is rare. I cant think of one thing that suddenly went up 33% in one shot (and also one week's notice too).

Also sketchy timing too. One week's notice and they announced it right before Labour Day long weekend. Most people are busy chilling out or on vacation. They wont even know about the price hike until they are back and see news. And many wont even know about it at all and it's too late to stack. The cut off date is Sept 6.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Get a Series X and Game Pass for better value which includes better day one games. I know most wont, but enthusiast console gamers likely will.

Enthusiast gamers probably have both systems already so the scenario you are describing would be miniscule. And while I do think Game Pass is the more attractive offering, I don't think it is worthwhile either but I'm largely disinterested in either platform holders first party offerings.

Why not - what are PlayStation fans going to do, sell their PS5s?

Doubtful but short term hikes could have long term ramifications and alter decisions for the next hardware go-round. I try not argue too much about Sony's direction as they are largely successful even if I'm no longer their target audience. I'd love to see the splits on how the userbase subscribes to each tier. My guess is the majority are month to month and will not think much about the bump "only" being a few dollars.

Sleepwalker

Get a Series X and Game Pass for better value which includes more day one games. I know most wont, but enthusiast console gamers likely will.
No they are not, playstation fans enjoy their content and are not going to sell their PS for a loss, cough up more $ for an xbox and then pay a more expensive sub. All for games they already didn't care about. Lol

If you're a playstation only gamer (and enthusiast) it makes more sense to just get a PC on top. For the price you'll pay for a series X + gamepass sub for the rest of the console generation you can easily offset the cost of a more powerful PC (which is just mid range by now) and get access to the same games + better prices AND gamepass on PC.

No they are not, playstation fans enjoy their content and are not going to sell their PS for a loss, cough up more $ for an xbox and then pay a more expensive sub. All for games they already didn't care about. Lol

If you're a playstation only gamer (and enthusiast) it makes more sense to just get a PC on top. For the price you'll pay for a series X + gamepass sub for the rest of the console generation you can easily offset the cost of a more powerful PC (which is just mid range by now) and get access to the same games + better prices AND gamepass on PC.
I never said anything about selling a PS5, just add more options. I doubt console-centric players are going to switch up to a gaming PC en mass when they just want more options but are fine with the specs and performance of consoles already.

Top Bottom