• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nigga and You: A Comprehensive Guide to the N-Word

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just fucking with you. Don't worry about the Schrodinger's cat thing. It's just another stupid post in a long line of stupid posts from Subpar.
It's basically his way of saying, "Because you don't know what everyone's race is online, everyone should be able to say it."
Ignore that shit.

You extrapolated that from a S.Cat comment? Dayum, you're, like, way too perceptive for me.

Enzom21

You extrapolated that from a S.Cat comment? Dayum, you're, like, way too perceptive for me.

I got that from you asking if you can say it before your ridiculous Schrodinger's cat scenario.
Let's also not forget your stellar post history about black people.
Shit I'm breaking my ignore your nonsense rule. Carry on.

I got that from you asking if you can say it before your ridiculous Schrodinger's cat scenario.
Let's also not forget your stellar post history about black people.
Shit I'm breaking my ignore your nonsense rule. Carry on.

It's good you can understand the ridiculousness of it as, ya know, it was written in a manner that screamed "this is 100% serious".

You did conveniently ignore the "I don't want to say it" answer to your question.

I guess the damage is done.

Enzom21

It's good you can understand the ridiculousness of it as, ya know, it was written in a manner that screamed "this is 100% serious".

You did conveniently ignore the "I don't want to say it" answer to your question.

I guess the damage is done.

Like all of your posts about black people.

Platy

If any Schrödinger scenario would exist I would say "DO NOT SPEAK IT". I even feel weird seeing by posters who are black, but are not using real pic avatars since the default we usually go is "white hetero cis male" on the internet =|

I use it around friends quite often, but would never use it in public or around strangers. My diverse friend group always insult each other for our differences on a regular basis though, so it's obvious we would keep it contained.

in its most popularized use, even if not entirely accurate, it essentially boils down to "if a cat is in a closed box, it's both dead and alive as long as you don't go to find out which it actually is"

so obviously you gotta get a dog
i'm okay with dogs but i like cats more
there's a cat in a sealed box. with the cat is a vial of poison that is automatically released if radioactivity is detected. (an atom decaying). The question is that we have no way of knowing when the atom decays, and therefore no way of knowing whether the cat is dead or alive unless the box is opened. Thus, in a sense, the cat is simultaneously alive and dead.

"Schrodinger's Nigga" is basically saying that it is simultaneously okay and not okay for someone to use the word nigga until their race is observed and you can say whether it is okay or not.
Oh I see. So it's kind of like the question "If a tree falls in a forest with no one around does it make a noise?" - I say yes, because there's no way the whole universe is silent. Thanks for explaining.
I'm just fucking with you. Don't worry about the Schrodinger's cat thing. It's just another stupid post in a long line of stupid posts from Subpar.
It's basically his way of saying, "Because you don't know what everyone's race is online, everyone should be able to say it."
Ignore that shit.
I got it, I was actually asking what the schrodinger's cat meant, like the thing, which is off topic - but I got multiple answers
Hope you arent on mobile because ive just assumed you were some nobody but reading this thread i just made an assumption that i thought you would understand. But wont.
Tldr i did my best impression of the schrodinger cat exampled and failed becuase that damn image wont load on my phone, when it worked on my pc. Fuck im drunk, jobs are hard.
nah i'm not on mobile and you didn't fail coz the picture did show up..i just didn't know what schrodinger's cat was really, but that's not your fault

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
The only black guy in our group started using it to refer to anything and anyone, along with as many demeaning memes he could find (black people can't read, nigga stole my bike, etc) while also encouraging us to do it too. At first I was uncomfortable, now we all use it, almost instinctively. Its just for fun, and it's not like we don't know we're doing it for the sake of being politically incorrect.

Still, I am terrified of unconsciously using the word in a normal conversation by accident.

That's called cooning. That black guy in your group is a fucking dumb ass.

Faustek

So we had multiple threads about this and two in two days now. Either sticky this or do we need to bump it weekly so people get it?

squall23

I remember the first time a black friend and I got close enough that he would start greeting me with "Wassup n-word." As a Chinese guy, I jokingly said "should I be saying 'yo chink' to you now? I mean, how does this work?"

Faustek

I remember the first time a black friend and I got close enough that he would start greeting me with "Wassup n-word." As a Chinese guy, I jokingly said "should I be saying 'yo chink' to you now? I mean, how does this work?"

That's easy. It's you. All on you if you want to greet your friend with that word.
The hard question is if you want to use it and why.

Mahonay

Banned
Good post OP. Especially on the cultural differences.

I have a black sister and have/had close black friends for my entire life, it has never crossed my mind that using the N word in any form as a white guy is a good idea. I've been called it myself in the "endearing way" and I'm totally fine with that. Doesn't bother me. This is one of those things that's just a one way street (as it should be) with the ongoing history behind it.

squall23

That's easy. It's you. All on you if you want to greet your friend with that word.
The hard question is if you want to use it and why.
I wasn't being serious. I literally was just joking when I greeted him that way. I know to never use the n-word.

Oh cool, an old thread I made is getting bumped. I wonder why it's-
[sees the state of OT]
giphy.gif

Faustek

Oh cool, an old thread I made is getting bumped. I wonder why it's-
[sees the state of OT]
https://media.giphy.com/media/o7ncE7UgxAUE0/giphy.gif/img][/QUOTE]

I'm sorry. I'm not an articulate man and I felt like it would be better to bump this than to sit down and write something myself.

NinjaBoiX

Great thread OP!

I employ a lesbian and she often refers to her friends as a "dyke" in a friendly manner and it's literally a term of endearment in that "giving each other shit" way that friends do.

We get on very well and she's openly said she wouldn't give it a second thought if I did the same, hell she pretty much encourages it but wow, I could never use it. It's just one of those things like swearing as a kid, you just know you shouldn't be doing it! It would literally elicit a physical response as if you'd just dropped a glass or something.

Language is a strange beast indeed.

Enzom21

Great thread OP!

I employ a lesbian and she often refers to her friends as a "dyke" in a friendly manner and it's literally a term of endearment in that "giving each other shit" way that friends do.

We get on very well and she's openly said she wouldn't give it a second thought if I did the same, hell she pretty much encourages it but wow, I could never use it. It's just one of those things like swearing as a kid, you just know you shouldn't be doing it! It would literally elicit a physical response as if you'd just dropped a glass or something.

Language is a strange beast indeed.
So you no longer think conditional use of "nigga" based on skin color is "bullshit"?

royalan

See, this is why this topic is pointless in 2017.

Almost 5 years of Black Lives Matter. Years of seeing black folks rage via social media over being disrespected and shot dead in the streets. Years of seeing us drag celebs to the pits who didn't know their goddamn non-black ass place.

I find it hard to believe that many people in 20-hog-ass-17 are all that confused about whether or not they can say the word "nigga." They KNOW they can't say it. What they want is permission to say something that they know they can't say. But nobody here can give you that.

They want to make the conversation a joke (like you see happening in this thread), but the shit ain't funny.

So don't say nigga, or wigga, or chigga, or bligga, or any variation of the word. It's not cool, and people KNOW that.

Actually, you know what, go ahead. Say it. Say it to your heart's content. But when some black person who's had enough bullshit for one day walks up and knocks your ass across the face, don't say Royalan from NeoGAF didn't try to tell you.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I have a real problem with the people on GAF busting out the hard R somewhat casually, even when pretending to quote other people. A little too comfortable, neckbeards.

See: the recent HBCU thread.

Azzanadra

I will admit I used to use the one that ends with an an 'a' lot, I come from a lower middle class background in suburban GTA and the community is mainly minorities- black people, brown and Asian(mainly Filipino), I myself being from Pakistan. The culture was that of wannabe gangs and basketball so we ended up using that word a lot. Pretty much stopped using it entirely once I came to University.

Sai-kun

Banned
why was this thread bu-ohhhhh

edit: godddd lmfao hirednoobs bruh. that was a wild ride. i still have the pm he sent me out of the blue

"But I'm a Cool White GuyTM, and my black friends let me say it"
While it may be cool with your circle of friends, dont expect it to be cool with anyone else. When in doubt D.O.N.T.

"But I had one Black friend who let me use it whenever I wanted!"
He was probably doing that to make his white friends happy. Next time you want to say it, D.O.N.T.
Thank you...and fuck those "black friends" who allow this shit.

Question: is the Chris Rock rule correct or merely a comedy routine? Rock said that there's nothing sadder than white people rapping along to Nuthin But A G Thing and awkwardly self censoring the n-word. According to Rock, if it's in the song and you're singing along, it's OK to say. True or false?

BajiBoxer

Banned
but Im an Asian, can I say then???

no:( how about chigga ?

rich-chigga-dat-stick-interview-who-that-bes.jpg
That's racist to black people, as it's a disparaging term used to insult a Chinese person who "acts black". Just like "whigger" was used for white kids who acted a certain way when I was in highschool.

Enzom21

Question: is the Chris Rock rule correct or merely a comedy routine? Rock said that there's nothing sadder than white people rapping along to Nuthin But A G Thing and awkwardly self censoring the n-word. According to Rock, if it's in the song and you're singing along, it's OK to say. True or false?
Yes everything Chris Rock says in his comedy act is the gospel. Do you also need to know if his "There are black people and there are niggers." bit is true or false. Come the fuck on.

MKIL65

I'm not sure if this has ever been discussed on GAF, but I have to bring it up...

In Denmark, we have these cream buns called ''Flødeboller''

But it wasn't always called that. It used to be called
Negerboller
and
Negerkys.

It's pretty disgusting...

The same issue also existed in Belgium and the Netherlands. They used a variation of the N-word too, to describe this cream bun.

I want to talk about this, because my incompetent teachers never taught me any of this in school.

rjinaz

I'm not sure if this has ever been discussed on GAF, but I have to bring it up...

Negerboller
and
Negerkys.

The same issue also existed in France and the Netherlands. They used a variation of the N-word too, to describe this cream bun.

I want to talk about this, because my incompetent teachers never taught me any of this in school.

While not actually what they are called, here in America there is something similar. Brazilian Nuts are often called "Ni**er Toes" especially in the South. When I was a little kid I remember calling them that, and my Mom got mad at me, and I said "I thought that was what they were called because that was what everybody calls them". I asked her then what they are actually called and even she didn't know.

sqwarlock

Negerboller
and
Negerkys.

The same issue also existed in Belgium and the Netherlands. They used a variation of the N-word too, to describe this cream bun.

This is common in the US too. Hearing people call "brazil nuts" by another, far more racist name still grosses me the fuck out.

Firebrand

Negerboller
and
Negerkys.

Obligatory https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vb_FY_mDNI
of course the black people have to be basketball players, lol.

the word irked me with suprise when the Fighting Game community were using it left and right during competitions and on message boards.

I saw it brought up allot on Shoryuken.com's boards where posters were just using it to be cool

but man, it was so wrong 100% of the time. Thees man-children have no idea how bad it sounds outisde of their Fighting Game Community circle

it's an awful word

SaniOYOYOY

edit : I think no one catch my references, well my mistake I made an assumption that rich chigga is popular enough Dx

Faustek

royalan, that's why I bumped because all I would say is that I or someone else would beat their non black ass if they said it and if you are really stupid they wont ever say anything again. Plus there is an idiot born every minute.

Obligatory https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vb_FY_mDNI
of course the black people have to be basketball players, lol.

That always annoyed me. Yes I chuckled first time I saw it but so many people never bothered or understood that scene. It was all comedy instead of realising that maybe, just maybe they shouldn't call it that.
It has always been called that here but it was never the name.

you clearly dont know that guy on my pic do you lol

Hope you had fun. yes his name is Chigga and you made some lulpointz. Be happy. You are someone now.

Jokab

the word irked me with suprise when the Fighting Game community were using it left and right during competitions and on message boards.

I saw it brought up allot on Shoryuken.com's boards where posters were just using it to be cool

but man, it was so wrong 100% of the time. Thees man-children have no idea how bad it sounds outisde of their Fighting Game Community circle

it's an awful word

In Melee I only hear black people using it. Are other people using it in other FGCs?

pr0cs

It's a stupid word and should be abolished from everyone's vocabulary. Saying only black people should be allowed to use it is insane. It's a derogatory word that should have died with slavery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom