• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nigga and You: A Comprehensive Guide to the N-Word

Status
Not open for further replies.
some people certainly feel this way and avoid it. Obviously sitting in the car with someone else I avoid it. As a long time rap fan I definetly have lived through many a decent white rapper who avoided using the word completely (em, el-p, Mac miller, etc.) and I understand why they did. Reciting lyrics alone or even typing them really doesn't eat at my conscience though. Niggajuice ain't gonna crawl up into the shower if I say it three times.

Generally I Won't even say the word nigga out loud in a crowd. At Fyf this year I was with a group of younger kids (17-22) and one of the girls was saying how she was "gonna rap everything word for word" and I responded "I know one word you're not gonna say" and most people laughed because they understood the joke. I guess I just wasn't prepared for that filter didn't seem to exist for these kids. The place was so live for madd city and Kendrick was really provoking people to yell that chorus (and tens of thousands were obliging with a particularly healthy "where your grandma stay my nigga"). What it his role in all of this? I know he sees the crowd demographics. 90% of the crowd is probably white for his festival shows these days. Fully acknowledging that Kendrick doesn't speak for all black people does he have a responsibility to avoid doing call and response for those songs that rely heavily on the usage of the word or is really just up to the crowd to let Kendrick ad lib it in their version?
This is a really interesting point, I think. The problem here is that there is no standard answer, and despite the brilliance of the OP and the prevailing opinion in this thread, there are and will be plenty of black people who don't care either way. Keeping in mind anyone can say anything they like anyway, I think usage of the word is going to come down to context, having situational awareness, being familiar with the people one is around and knowing when and where it's (in)appropriate.

Back in the day, I would've called you a punk; but now I'm envious of people like you and continue to try to control my temper. The best thing that's helped is to try my best to avoid situations like that, or at the very least have somebody more level headed around me that has my best interests at heart and will do anything to prevent me from full on confrontation. Prison scares me too, bro.
Haha. I would have called myself a punk back in the day too. I was a scrapper who got down for anything at any time. Im too old for that shit now. Its just not worth it anymore. I got enough friends who's lives are either ruined or over because of that shit. I wasnt always able to control my temper. I avoid situations as well and always try to diffuse shit. But if someone attacks me they better put me out quick for their own sake.

But yeah. N bombs are asking for fists being thrown. You can only be expected to keep a level head to a certain point. I promise I wont call you one if we ever go club hopping.

Madrin

Yeah it's really not hard to just not use the word. As a white guy I don't feel like I'm somehow missing out by not saying it.

Also this may be a question for another thread but I'm curious: are terms like "colored" and "people of color" insulting? I hear them used a lot in attempts to be more PC, but it seems like a very white-centric way of viewing the world, as if white is the default. I mean, white is a color too.

Yeah it's really not hard to just not use the word. As a white guy I don't feel like I'm somehow missing out by not saying it.

Also this may be a question for another thread but I'm curious: are terms like "colored" and "people of color" insulting? I hear them used a lot in attempts to be more PC, but it seems like a very white-centric way of viewing the world, as if white is the default. I mean, white is a color too.

Colored is terrible. People of Color is the preferred nomenclature by most right now.

Daingurse

People of color is fine. "Colored" is a very dated term.

Geist-

I am very upset that the "You son of a bitch" GIF doesn't end properly. Where is the manly handshake?
It just ruins the whole tone of the OP. How can we learn anything when all we're thinking about is how wrong that gif is?

Great post OP. :)

DedValve

Banned

As others have said POC is fine but you can just say black (obviously depending on how you phrase it, you can say black in a very nasty way that would be much harder saying POC). My sisters really get annoyed when people call them African American instead of just black and I wonder how many other latinos feel the same.

Also isn't black technically not a color anyways thus making people of color white :p

TLZ

Banned
I've been told by my black friends to freely use it around them, but I insisted I'm not comfortable saying it because no matter what it has a bad meaning. I even told them they shouldn't be using it with each other because they're always reminding themselves of the horrible past, while at the same time aclnowledging it.

Enzom21

I am Asian so this guide does not help me at all.

Black: It is your choice whether or not you want to say it.
Not black: Don't fucking say it.
Simple really.

I'm sure most here think I'm wrong, but I believe either everyone gets to use the word, or no one should.

I always love when people think true equality means everyone being able to say nigger free of consequence.
Are you black?

I've been told by my black friends to freely use it around them, but I insisted I'm not comfortable saying it because no matter what it has a bad meaning. I even told them they shouldn't be using it with each other because they're always reminding themselves of the horrible past, while at the same time aclnowledging it.
Oh? And how did they respond to this?

DedValve

Banned
I'm sure most here think I'm wrong, but I believe either everyone gets to use the word, or no one should.

I'm sure your aware that the world isn't black and white.

There are some words that are off limits. hard "-er" for example should not be used by anyone, black or no.

"nigg-a" however is a grey word, with a history rooted in some pretty nasty shit. Even among black people the word nigga being appropriate is not 100% unanimous. Be polite.

If your not black just don't say it fam. It ain't that hard. Use other words instead. Like Yaaaaassss Slaaay Queen.
No don't use that.

Enzom21

LOL I used to joke in the past that I swear some white people argue over this like it's a civil rights issue.

Well to be fair, they did create and nurture it until it was a powerful tool of oppression and then it was stolen from them.
If I were a racist, I would want that powerful tool back too.
I'm sure your aware that the world isn't black and white.

There are some words that are off limits. hard "-er" for example should not be used by anyone, black or no.

"nigg-a" however is a grey word, with a history rooted in some pretty nasty shit. Even among black people the word nigga being appropriate is not 100% unanimous. Be polite.

If your not black just don't say it fam. It ain't that hard. Use other words instead. Like Yaaaaassss Slaaay Queen.
No don't use that.

Some black people don't make the distinction between nigger and nigga if the person saying it isn't black.
If you're not black, all I hear is nigger.
There are some southern racists who say nigga but they certainly mean the hard r.

LionPride

Banned

Man, the amount of people that are willing to think of contrived situations where they think it might be ok to say nigga to justify their attitudes is uh worrisome.

like wow do you really think you are now unable to enjoy life to fullest if you can't say nigga

if you feel like not saying nigga really hampers your life I would suggest you look at yourself in the mirror for a while until you can figure out why you *need* to say nigga

WOW @ the bolded. I think you worded that wrong, or at least I don't think the way it came out is what you were trying to say. LOL

my jaw actually opened in disbelief when I read that. some ally jesus

I am Asian so this guide does not help me at all.

Don't say it at all. I grew up with Asian bangers and they can say it, well because, they are gangbangers and they don't take shit from nobody. I grew apart from that and am trying really hard to get nigga (sorry) out of my vocabulary. I don't even hang with bangers anymore because I'm not about that life anymore (somebody here knows why already ^_^).

some people certainly feel this way and avoid it. Obviously sitting in the car with someone else I avoid it. As a long time rap fan I definetly have lived through many a decent white rapper who avoided using the word completely (em, el-p, Mac miller, etc.) and I understand why they did. Reciting lyrics alone or even typing them really doesn't eat at my conscience though. Niggajuice ain't gonna crawl up into the shower if I say it three times.

Generally I Won't even say the word nigga out loud in a crowd. At Fyf this year I was with a group of younger kids (17-22) and one of the girls was saying how she was "gonna rap everything word for word" and I responded "I know one word you're not gonna say" and most people laughed because they understood the joke. I guess I just wasn't prepared for that filter didn't seem to exist for these kids. The place was so live for madd city and Kendrick was really provoking people to yell that chorus (and tens of thousands were obliging with a particularly healthy "where your grandma stay my nigga"). What it his role in all of this? I know he sees the crowd demographics. 90% of the crowd is probably white for his festival shows these days. Fully acknowledging that Kendrick doesn't speak for all black people does he have a responsibility to avoid doing call and response for those songs that rely heavily on the usage of the word or is really just up to the crowd to let Kendrick ad lib it in their version?

I saw a Kendrick concert recently and he kind of refrained from using the word all that much. Thought it was pretty cool

After everything in this thread, after all the history explained, thats your takeaway?

giphy.gif

I cant do a damn thing for people like you.

Ric Flair

Banned
What's the consensus on driving solo to work and something from the chronic comes on Spotify radio? Cause if rat-tat-tat-tat is playing, and it's still wrong, I'm not so sure I want to be right

cordy

Banned
Honestly I'll just be real.

I'm a black man who grew up in the South and I didn't really use it until I was (honestly) in my early 20s. Why? Just didn't feel like using it, I felt bad saying it. Even hanging with friends I didn't say it but regardless I didn't. It could be because I grew up as one of those "black anime loving gaming kids" who stayed inside and was called "not black enough" or whatever. Either way I didn't use it until then.

But why did I start?

I can't say exactly why but I do know I listen to a ton of hip-hop around then and I became more comfortable saying it. Now I say it all the time perfectly fine. Sort of like that one Lupe lyric where he said "Omitting the word "bitch", cursing - I wouldn't say it / me and dog couldn't relate, till a bitch I dated", after all the listening and through life itself it just became natural.

Honestly I'll just be real.

I'm a black man who grew up in the South and I didn't really use it until I was (honestly) in my early 20s. Why? Just didn't feel like using it, I felt bad saying it. Even hanging with friends I didn't say it but regardless I didn't. It could be because I grew up as one of those "black anime loving gaming kids" who stayed inside and was called "not black enough" or whatever. Either way I didn't use it until then.

But why did I start?

I can't say exactly why but I do know I listen to a ton of hip-hop around then and I became more comfortable saying it. Now I say it all the time perfectly fine. Sort of like that one Lupe lyric where he said "Omitting the word "bitch", cursing - I wouldn't say it / me and dog couldn't relate, till a bitch I dated", after all the listening and through life itself it just became natural.
Ohh I remember that song, that's one of his best songs. I often don't use the word bitch either and mean it

IrishNinja

What's the consensus on driving solo to work and something from the chronic comes on Spotify radio? Cause if rat-tat-tat-tat is playing, and it's still wrong, I'm not so sure I want to be right

i wanna be mad here, but let's be real: the real Flair prolly says it around the house

good read!

to the people really think it's okay to say the "N" word: next time when you're walking in your city/downtown area go up to lets say 10 random African-Americans(or those of African decent) who you never encountered in you life and say "what up my n****!?"

then please report back the number of times you were punched, slap, cursed out, or became the next viral racist.

P.S. just so you know if I am one of those people, you will be punched then cursed out

NEO0MJ

So what if I spin to the left three times, clap twice, spin to the right once, and then snap my finger? Does that make it OK for me to say it?

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
I am white so this guide does not help me at all.

Enzom21

So what if I spin to the left three times, clap twice, spin to the right once, and then snap my finger? Does that make it OK for me to say it?

You forgot the part where you beat and lynch a black person after you call them a nigger.
Have fun!

Speely

Banned
Awesome OP. I think going by the logic of "if you have to wonder whether or not you should use the word, don't" is wise.

Sure, it means that as a white man, I can't rap every word at a concert and, in the unlikely event that someone is judging my ability to do so, it will not sound as good, but I think that hindrance is more-than-offset by all the privilege I enjoy in the infinite amounts of ways other than being able to rap the n-word.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I have a black friend who in middle and high school encouraged me to use the word casually with him. Since then I obviously don't use the word ever, but the subjective nature of who it can be okay with is interesting. I don't see much of a point of having this secret alliance with one person though, as it isn't some incredible satisfying experience. I think white people just hate being told what to do, which is dumb

Da fuck. You don't have the authority to dictate its meaning or intent when used by black people. You don't even bother to recognize that you're discussing essentially two terms.

http://i.imgur.com/iRVJ4KT.gif

People can try and use it in a different manner but ultimately it will always recall its negative connotation regardless of who says it. More so if other ethnic groups in a multicultural society can not politically correctly use it because of its historical usage within a particular society. The surrounding sensitivity of the word that one ethnic group can use it in a positivity yet others can not even if they aren't intending the usage to carry any malice highlights how foul the word is. Not only does it infer division of us vs them historically it still does just with a different narrative. Those who use the word in either case are helping perpetrate societal division, if people want to see that disappear then it is a word better left in history books as a reminder of how fucked up societies can be and how barbaric actions can be to others under the guise of normalcy.

Jinkies

If I hear anyone use this word or any variations of it, my respect for them decreases (either slightly or entirely, depending on context).

Enzom21

People can try and use it in a different manner but ultimately it will always recall its negative connotation regardless of who says it. More so if other ethnic groups in a multicultural society can not politically correctly use it because of its historical usage within a particular society. The surrounding sensitivity of the word that one ethnic group can use it in a positivity yet others can not even if they aren't intending the usage to carry any malice highlights how foul the word is. Not only does it infer division of us vs them historically it still does just with a different narrative. Those who use the word in either case are helping perpetrate societal division, if people want to see that disappear then it is a word better left in history books as a reminder of how fucked up societies can be and how barbaric actions can be to others under the guise of normalcy.

Black using nigga is not keeping racism alive. FOH.
Are you black? I sincerely doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom