• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo building new facility for in-house development

Woopah

I think they'll definitely get more out of growing EPD than they would from most acquisitions, so this seems a good move.

Sounds like this is one of the areas where they are going to spend some of that 1 billion yen they set aside for expansion.

Woopah

With all that money you would expect Nintendo to expand like crazy all the time.
They are already 25% bigger than they were pre-Switch launch. This is the next stage of their expansion
This is to support development of Xenoblade 3 right? Right?
This is likely more related to EPD rather then MonolithSoft, but they have been rapidly growing MonolithSoft and we should see Xenoblade 3 next year (apparently it was supposed to release this year).

UnNamed

Banned
Games I would love to see from Nintendo:
- a proper racing game, a GT-like or FH-like with the same formula but not necessarily with a realistic graphics. Maybe a Stunt Race FX nextgen, bigger, with more cars and customizations;
- a new type of RPG like Zelda but without the limits of Zelda because its traditions. Something from the concept arts they didn't use because they didn't fit well on Zelda. Ok, maybe just a new Earthbound in 3D.

carlosrox

Banned
I heard of all companies struggling because COVID, Nintendo is the most affected. If this help them make more great games, no problem.

Are a lot of Nintendo devs dying from COVID or something? Yeah right!

Oh you mean COVID restrictions? Sounds a lot more accurate.

Anyways now that I've gotten my daily COVID reminder.... This is good news but damn I thought they were already doing this what with the Switch no longer splitting up the talent between handheld and console dev?

Last edited:

Woopah

Are a lot of Nintendo devs dying from COVID or something? Yeah right!

Oh you mean COVID restrictions? Sounds a lot more accurate.

Anyways now that I've gotten my daily COVID reminder.... This is good news but damn I thought they were already doing this what with the Switch no longer splitting up the talent between handheld and console dev?
Combining the existing talent wouldn't require them to need more space. It's the 100s of new developers they are going to hire that will require this new office space.

jakinov

cmon nintendo, crack open some new IPs.
That would just take up more resources from making existing IP games. Which they don't release as frequently as they used to. There's plenty of new IP elsewhere and people really enjoy Zelda, Mario, etc. sequels so why take risk making new IP for the sake of making new IP.

Woopah

That would just take up more resources from making existing IP games. Which they don't release as frequently as they used to. There's plenty of new IP elsewhere and people really enjoy Zelda, Mario, etc. sequels so why take risk making new IP for the sake of making new IP.
Because then you have chance for more success. Sure, some new IP they publish could stay small like Astral Chain or Game Builder Garage, but others could be huge hits like Splatoon or Ring Fit.

jakinov

Because then you have chance for more success. Sure, some new IP they publish could stay small like Astral Chain or Game Builder Garage, but others could be huge hits like Splatoon or Ring Fit.
Resources are finite that if they are working on the new game it prevents them from making other games. As games take longer and longer to make more and more of these finite resources would need to be put on the bread-winning projects. If they have an idea or they don't have their hands full already then sure focus on new IP but I don't see much reason to make new IP for the sake of doing it. It's unneeded risk at this point. Espcially when it seems like their existing franchises are selling better than ever.

Woopah

Guess so. But Nintendo has huge holes in their release schedule still. I'm sure there is enough talent in their area.
They definitely had holes in 2020, but they had a pretty solid release schedule in 2019 and 2021 and 2022 looks promising too. I see this expansion as helping them remain one of the most prolific major publishers in the industry despite rising development times. It'll also help protect them against future pandemics or other disruptions.
Resources are finite that if they are working on the new game it prevents them from making other games. As games take longer and longer to make more and more of these finite resources would need to be put on the bread-winning projects. If they have an idea or they don't have their hands full already then sure focus on new IP but I don't see much reason to make new IP for the sake of doing it. It's unneeded risk at this point. Espcially when it seems like their existing franchises are selling better than ever.
All of Nintendo's big franchises were new IP at some point. Imagine if they had never invested in things like Animal Crossing, Splatoon or Ring Fit. They'd be in a worse position if they didn't. Basically, why stick to having 10 bread-winning franchises if you can have 15 or 20.

Papacheeks

Banned
Too little too late. Lots of high profile people have left and retired. It shows how incompetent Nintendo is. Should have expanded long time ago for development. Their out put is too infrequent. They rely on cap on and indie way too much.

jakinov

All of Nintendo's big franchises were new IP at some point. Imagine if they had never invested in things like Animal Crossing, Splatoon or Ring Fit. They'd be in a worse position if they didn't. Basically, why stick to having 10 bread-winning franchises if you can have 15 or 20.
They are in a position where it's not as beneficial to go out of their way to create new IP. because they didn't hgave any and many older IP also originated when games were less risky to amke. Like I said in my other post if they have a good idea then sure. But again the number of employeee they have are finite, if they are making a new IP for the sake of new IP it prevents them from making another game that's for less risky and already shown potential to have high reward. I'm not saying they should never create new IP either. But until thet have enough resources to continue to release games at the candence they want and have the number of ongoing projects that they want at a given time working on existing IP then they can focus on expanding to create new IP. Because right now we're just talking about more risk same reward as opposed to more risk more reward.

Shut0wen

Good news, since covid nintendo has been lagging behind but then again all japanese developers have because of working from home

Woopah

They are in a position where it's not as beneficial to go out of their way to create new IP. because they didn't hgave any and many older IP also originated when games were less risky to amke. Like I said in my other post if they have a good idea then sure. But again the number of employeee they have are finite, if they are making a new IP for the sake of new IP it prevents them from making another game that's for less risky and already shown potential to have high reward. I'm not saying they should never create new IP either. But until thet have enough resources to continue to release games at the candence they want and have the number of ongoing projects that they want at a given time working on existing IP then they can focus on expanding to create new IP. Because right now we're just talking about more risk same reward as opposed to more risk more reward.
The trouble is you don't know what is a "good idea" is until you try. It would very-short sighted of Nintendo to only focus on what franchises they currently have rather than finding new opportunities for
growth. Between their own teams and external partners I believe they have enough to publish existing franchises and new IPs. Take a look at 2019 for instance:

Established IP: Yoshi, Mario, Tetris, Boxboy, Fire Emblem, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Zelda, Kirby, Luigi's Mansion, Pokemon,
New IP: Astral Chain, Daemon Ex Machina, Ring Fit Adventure, Stretchers

That's what they should aim for every year I believe.

jakinov

The trouble is you don't know what is a "good idea" is until you try. It would very-short sighted of Nintendo to only focus on what franchises they currently have rather than finding new opportunities for
growth. Between their own teams and external partners I believe they have enough to publish existing franchises and new IPs. Take a look at 2019 for instance:

Established IP: Yoshi, Mario, Tetris, Boxboy, Fire Emblem, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Zelda, Kirby, Luigi's Mansion, Pokemon,
New IP: Astral Chain, Daemon Ex Machina, Ring Fit Adventure, Stretchers

That's what they should aim for every year I believe.
They can build small internal prototypes and pitch the ideas intenrally without commiting a whole team and saying "let's build a new IP for the sake of building new IP". It's not about their publishing capacity as it is about how many developers they have to do the bulk of the work. Again not saying they shouldn't do new IP, again their resources are fininte which means limited. They have X numbers of employees to make a game. LEts say they have 100 employees for simplicity. And they have 5 IPs with whatver many spinoffs, let ssay 10 projects across 3-5 years. Which averages around 10 employees per project. Ifyou get 10 employees working on a new IP; you aren't looking at growth because you stopped working on another project that already likely to sell really well. It's when you add more employees so you have 120 to make new projects you see growth. But at this point Nintendo does not have enough employees to do all the proejcts they want to do.They probably want like 15-20 projects going on with their 5 IP across 3-5 years instead. Once they hit that, that's when it becomes more fruitful to make new IP for the sake of making new IP. It's a different story for someone like Microsoft because their IPs sell like shit that taking the risk to create a new IP can lead to an IP that sells double/triple what their current IPs sell. A Microsoft franchises that sells < 5 million can benefit from 6,7,8,9, 10 million in sales. A Nintendo franchise that has previously done 10 million, when you take the developers away from making that sequel and you make a new IP that sells 6,7,8,9 or evne 10 million; that's not really growth.It selling even better is possible but signficantly even more unlikely. Until they maximize on the projects with the existing IP, that's when they should explicitly go and try and create new IP. Nintendo has shown they are willing to create new IP. But currnetly taking up finite resources whether it's people or money to make a new IP with no actual plan for what it is, is risky and takes away from other IP and other projects that are already likely to be succesful.

Ezquimacore

Banned
With all that money you would expect Nintendo to expand like crazy all the time.
They don't open studios to close then next year like others do, that's why everytime they acquire or make a new building it's meaningful. Iook at monolith soft, already have like 5 studios.

Woopah

They can build small internal prototypes and pitch the ideas intenrally without commiting a whole team and saying "let's build a new IP for the sake of building new IP". It's not about their publishing capacity as it is about how many developers they have to do the bulk of the work. Again not saying they shouldn't do new IP, again their resources are fininte which means limited. They have X numbers of employees to make a game. LEts say they have 100 employees for simplicity. And they have 5 IPs with whatver many spinoffs, let ssay 10 projects across 3-5 years. Which averages around 10 employees per project. Ifyou get 10 employees working on a new IP; you aren't looking at growth because you stopped working on another project that already likely to sell really well. It's when you add more employees so you have 120 to make new projects you see growth. But at this point Nintendo does not have enough employees to do all the proejcts they want to do.They probably want like 15-20 projects going on with their 5 IP across 3-5 years instead. Once they hit that, that's when it becomes more fruitful to make new IP for the sake of making new IP. It's a different story for someone like Microsoft because their IPs sell like shit that taking the risk to create a new IP can lead to an IP that sells double/triple what their current IPs sell. A Microsoft franchises that sells < 5 million can benefit from 6,7,8,9, 10 million in sales. A Nintendo franchise that has previously done 10 million, when you take the developers away from making that sequel and you make a new IP that sells 6,7,8,9 or evne 10 million; that's not really growth.It selling even better is possible but signficantly even more unlikely. Until they maximize on the projects with the existing IP, that's when they should explicitly go and try and create new IP. Nintendo has shown they are willing to create new IP. But currnetly taking up finite resources whether it's people or money to make a new IP with no actual plan for what it is, is risky and takes away from other IP and other projects that are already likely to be succesful.
The part in bold is exactly what they do. And not just for new IP, most instalments in their existing franchises also start off as small prototypes before committing a whole team.

I would say that they are not "building new IP for the sake of building new IP", just like they don't build sequels for the sake of building sequels. They publish new IP to achiebe a mixutre of the following:

A. Make more revenue in software sales than it cost to develop
B. Establish a fanbase that can be served with sequels for years to come
C. Expand the variety of software on Switch and make the platform more attractive, convincing more people to buy the Switch hardware and get invested in the ecosystem

Ultimately I think we both agree that Nintendo should continue investing in a mixture of existing and new IP, and that this expansion will help them get the right balance.

Nice to see Nintendo expanding in Japan, not in the West. Now that they re-claimed Japan, they must protect and strengthen their home base

Even though these developers will be based in Japan, their purpose will be strengthen Nintendo's presence globally. I do think Nintendo should also be expanding their Western development as well, through new partnerships (the acquisition of Next Level Games was also smart in that particular scenario).

Even though these developers will be based in Japan, their purpose will be strengthen Nintendo's presence globally. I do think Nintendo should also be expanding their Western development as well, through new partnerships (the acquisition of Next Level Games was also smart in that particular scenario).

I disagree. Stay the fuck away from Western studios.

Western studios are poisoned by woke shit. Nintendo don't need none of that crap.....plus they have enough Western studios already

Woopah

I disagree. Stay the fuck away from Western studios.

Western studios are poisoned by woke shit. Nintendo don't need none of that crap.....plus they have enough Western studios already
Nintendo's been focused on inclusivity for a long time and them getting more diverse isn't going to destroy the company or anything.

This year they worked with a Western studio on a game with female protagonist and also acquired a new Western studio. Both moves will be good for them and gamers.

Nintendo's been focused on inclusivity for a long time and them getting more diverse isn't going to destroy the company or anything.

This year they worked with a Western studio on a game with female protagonist and also acquired a new Western studio. Both moves will be good for them and gamers.

whatever

this is about them expanding and strengthening their home base

V4skunk

Banned
Damn, Metroid Prime 4 development must be in a worse state than we thought.
Nope. Retro Studios have been at it for over 3 years now. I check the jobs on their site every few months and I'd say they are at an advanced stage of development and even starting a new big project.

mcjmetroid

They're in house output has been lacking somewhat this generation, what's there is very good but not enough. Well I mean there is enough to sell the switch units so mission accomplished.

But they seriously need more new IPs..people are going to get tired of Mario and Zelda eventually again. You shouldn't need to wait another 10 or so years for them to become popular again each time. Have something new ready when it does happen.

Did they come up with anything else other than labo or ring fit adventures this gen that's new?

Woopah

They're in house output has been lacking somewhat this generation, what's there is very good but not enough. Well I mean there is enough to sell the switch units so mission accomplished.

But they seriously need more new IPs..people are going to get tired of Mario and Zelda eventually again. You shouldn't need to wait another 10 or so years for them to become popular again each time. Have something new ready when it does happen.

Did they come up with anything else other than labo or ring fit adventures this gen that's new?
The new IP this gen specifically from the team this expansion will impact is: 1 2 Switch, Arms, Labo, Ring Fit Adventure and Game Builder Garage. The rest of their new IP have come from collaborations with other developers.

mcjmetroid

It's ironic that people want Nintendo to be "diverse", but they are probably the company that has the most diverse catalog of games in existence.

The "diverse" argument that some people use is to force Nintendo to appeal to western ideals and politics, which IRONICALLY would make the industry even *LESS* diverse, since at the end of the day people would be ignoring their own country's culture and values to prioritize western ones. They tried to push the same crap onto Kingdom Come Deliverance developers, which are located in eastern Europe.

One thing that makes me appreciate japanese games more is the fact that they don't give a single crap to that, and do their own thing.
The word diverse used to be a very positive word and it still is to a point but nowadays we know what developers say when they say diverse.

Nintendo still aren't that kind of diverse which is perfectly fine to me

Top Bottom