• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct Announced for Feb 8th, 2023 (40min long)

belmarduk

Oh that's pretty cool. Hopefully they reveal and show off Kid Icarus Uprising for Switch.

ju6Z4JW.jpg

Why are so many people predicting this? Has Nintendo said anything about it? I'd much rather have a new game. There's so much potential with this IP.

I don't know of any rumors, I just want to play the game in a way that doesn't cause physical pain due to the 3DS control scheme.
I've heard it a least a handful of times now. Yeah it would be sweet, i've always wanted to play it not compromised on a handheld with a stand. But, yeah it just seems like a longshot.

Gambit2483

Nice, a general Direct. Yeah, I would expect a lot of good stuff if you love Zelda :)

I would love for one decent surprise, either a Paper Mario remake of TTYD, F Zero GX, or a port of Woolly World.

Yeah, its mostly going to be about TOTK. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a remaster/port or two announced and maybe a nice surprise thrown in (Metroid Prime Remake etc.)

Maybe the first look at the Hogwarts port?
That would be B-roll material. Maybe a bit in the sizzle reel. Otherwise probably will hold footage til May or June, since it's not like it'll be pretty to look at. But I do agree it might not be bad to reconfirm it, given the current-gen versions launch this week and it's such a big release.

Scotty W

Gold Member
New 2d Mario
3d Donkey Kong game
Totk
Mario rpg 2
New star Fox
Outrun 2
Gta v
Seriko
Star Fox adventures 2- from panzer dragoon saga team
Street Fighter 4

Jennings

I've heard it a least a handful of times now. Yeah it would be sweet, i've always wanted to play it not compromised on a handheld with a stand. But, yeah it just seems like a longshot.

Maybe I did hear it somewhere and that planted a seed. I don't recall, I just know that now I want it.

God forbid Youtube ads ever become that effective.

Kuranghi

A game which combines all Nintendo IPs into a giant shared and congruent world with 87 highly polished modes of gameplay, catch is it runs at 160p7.5fps.

Maverick074

Banned
What I want to see the most is footage of Tears of the Kingdom that convinces me six years of development didn't go into something that ends up looking like an expansion pack to Breath of the Wild

Yeah, its mostly going to be about TOTK. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a remaster/port or two announced and maybe a nice surprise thrown in (Metroid Prime Remake etc.)
Nah, it won't be mostly Zelda, it's a general Direct. I think Zelda will get some decent time in this showcase, but no doubt Nintendo is planning some kind of big media event in March or April to cover off on the game more before launch. I'd expect like a decent story trailer and actual game details tomorrow. That would be enough to get people talking until a more Zelda-focused event. Which they need to do, since it never got a full E3 presence like the first BotW.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

That would be B-roll material. Maybe a bit in the sizzle reel. Otherwise probably will hold footage til May or June, since it's not like it'll be pretty to look at. But I do agree it might not be bad to reconfirm it, given the current-gen versions launch this week and it's such a big release.

I still have no idea how they expect to get Hogwarts running on Switch unless there are some serious compromises and downgrades.

Now if it were running on stronger hardware....I could absolutely see it running properly

Gambit2483

Nah, it won't be mostly Zelda, it's a general Direct. I think Zelda will get some decent time in this showcase, but no doubt Nintendo is planning some kind of big media event in March or April to cover off on the game more before launch. I'd expect like a decent story trailer and actual game details tomorrow. That would be enough to get people talking until a more Zelda-focused event. Which they need to do, since it never got a full E3 presence like the first BotW.

Zelda is their next big game which we still have practically no idea about. I don't see how they can't at least devote 15-20 mins on it considering it's their next big release in less than 100 days.

Sure it will get it's own event closer to launch but this will be the proper reveal. They need more than 10 minutes of a 40 min show.

I still have no idea how they expect to get Hogwarts running on Switch unless there are some serious compromises and downgrades.

Now if it were running on stronger hardware....I could absolutely see it running properly
Yeah. It... won't be pretty. But somehow they got Doom Eternal running on it. I think they're willing to make a heavily-compromised version of the game, just because Switch has such a huge base, they're certain to make some money there. But yeah, just because you can, doesn't mean you should. LOL

Zelda is their next big game which we still have practically no idea about. I don't see how they can't at least devote 15-20 mins on it considering it's their next big release in less than 100 days.

Sure it will get it's own event closer to launch but this will be the proper reveal. They need more than 10 minutes of a 40 min show.
I'd expect like 5 minutes on it. Briefly give a story synopsis and show the new verticality thing. Show the collector's edition and amiibo. Pre-orders up today. End the direct with a 60 second trailer.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Some news about Zelda and Silksong, that's all I want.

Yeah, we'll see! Normally if a major game is getting that big a spotlight, they'd mention it in the notes of the contents. But I agree the game needs a proper reveal tomorrow, to get the ball rolling. And Nintendo knows that. It would be a good show opener. And give us a Pikmin 4 trailer and date as the "one last thing" to close it out.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I feel like that will be held for the next system. Otherwise, what would they have to launch it with? TotK took 6 years to make
I think they hold 3D Mario for the launch of the Switch successor.

They haven't launched a console with a 3D Mario game since the N64 and you seem to have forgotten Galaxy 2. Came out on Wii 2.5 years before the WiiU launched. Switch is in the middle of its life cycle as of early last year.

Not saying it's a guarantee but I can definitely see them getting an Odyssey 2 in before the Switch successor.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח

I don't see much different between it and The Witcher 3 tbh, which I think is bigger in scope.

Gambit2483

I'd expect like 5 minutes on it. Briefly give a story synopsis and show the new verticality thing. Show the collector's edition and amiibo. Pre-orders up today. End the direct with a 60 second trailer.
😂 There would be riots in these internet streets if they only showed just 5 minutes. Surely you jest....

😂 There would be riots in these internet streets if they only showed just 5 minutes. Surely you jest....
Expect the worst, hope for the best. I think they're going to just show a tiny bit. I'm half expecting a delay at this point. Zelda always gets multiple delays as surely as the sun rises.

Could delay it and announce Wind Waker / TP dual pack. That honestly makes the most sense to me.

Last edited:
"mostly"

Switch 2 get hype.

Jim Carrey Laughing GIF
They always say that. It leaves room for say, Pikmin 4 to get a trailer and date for the fall. Or drop a surprise game announcement in there that's still a ways out. They've never announced new hardware in a Direct, literally ever. In the history of Directs, dating back to 2012. It's always about the games.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

I started writing a post about how I'd be sick in my mouth if they remade PH/ST over the Oracles when they're literally the worst two mainline games.

However. A Switch remake of either without the horrid stylus control? Maybe they'd be on to something. Lot of other shit they'd have to trim and improve from those games (delete Temple of the Ocean King) but it could be done.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I started writing a post about how I'd be sick in my mouth if they remade PH/ST over the Oracles when they're literally the worst two mainline games.

However. A Switch remake of either without the horrid stylus control? Maybe they'd be on to something. Lot of other shit they'd have to trim and improve from those games (delete Temple of the Ocean King) but it could be done.

PH I would probably never play again but I didnt hate Spirit Tracks, I disliked things from it and there were annoying conventions but I found the train "puzzles" fun for the most part and trying to find the rabbits. I think some things were made less annoying by me playing on PC and being able to use mouse to move and attack.

I'm intrigued about your idea of porting those to Switch. But functionally, would those games work without stylus control? I remember there being a lot of puzzles that were like, drawing the path of the boomerang to hit different things in the right order, etc.

Last edited:

AV

I'm intrigued about your idea of porting those to Switch. But functionally, would those games work without stylus control? I remember there being a lot of puzzles that were like, dragging the path of the boomerang to hit different things in the right order, etc.

Switch has a touch screen and motion controls for TV players, if they wanted to keep that sort of stuff in. Main one would not be playing the entire game by dragging yourself around with a stylus. Certainly possible although I don't think they'll actually do it.

If they do actually remake the Oracle games I'll pay them up-front for both and I can die happy. The most underrated in the franchise by a country mile.

FeastYoEyes

Hoping for some surprises but I'd be fine with the best thing being Zelda gameplay, keeping in mind this is coming from someone who didn't like BOTW.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Switch is in the middle of its life cycle as of early last year.
Switch is closing in to 6 years on the market. We haven’t seen a 10-year active lifecycle for… well, we’ve basically never seen it in this market. If you count the twilight years when there’s a successor already available then sure, but this thing can’t possibly have 4 more years in it before Nintendo releases new hardware. Hogwarts is already gonna have people laugh for weeks unless there’s some actual wizardry involved in its development. Switch can’t live on just indies and Wii ports for much longer.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Kuranghi

Switch has a touch screen and motion controls for TV players, if they wanted to keep that sort of stuff in. Main one would not be playing the entire game by dragging yourself around with a stylus. Certainly possible although I don't think they'll actually do it.

If they do actually remake the Oracle games I'll pay them up-front for both and I can die happy. The most underrated in the franchise by a country mile.

I should really play the Oracle games, I tried The Minish Cap after I was finally done with BotW and it didn't really grab me, is there a specific order to play them in?

Nautilus

Banned
time for Predictions!!!:

- The Direct will open up with a new DK game. My heart wants to say a 3D game, but there is always the chance it is a 2D one.With that, the direct already starts bananas.

- The headlights after that will most likely focus on already announced games: Reminder of FE Engage DLC, XC 3 Wave 3 DLC(No Expansion will be talked about on this direct), Kirby Return to Dreamland Deluxe, OT 2, Megaman Collection, etc.

- One new thing that they will announce here is a collection of the first two Tomb Raider games, most likely a result of Embracer buying the IP.

- The next highlight will be Zelda. 3 to 4 min video for it, with Aonuma spending an extra 2 minutes talking about the game after that. A direct specific for TOTK will be announced, of which will probably be 20 minutes long.

- Another round of headlines. Advance Wars will be shown again, and probably shadowdropped. Its not like Nintendo is sending it to die, but at this point its probably the best next thing to do for it, marketing and financially wise.

- The screen turns to black. You wonder what will be shown.And then you see it....

The Capcom logo.

Your imagination starts to run wild with possibilities. Not moments later, you start hearing some familiar tunes.Yes, there is no mistaking it...

Capcom announces Megaman X9 and that its comming in September.

You close the stream.Nothing will ever be more hype than that, so you stop watching so that you won't be dissapointed by whatever else they show.

- Mostly third party games that have already released on other systems, like Hogwarts Legacy, Darksiders 3, Borderlands 3 and/or Wonderlands, etc.

- Time for another highlight. And this one will be rather boring: Another Mario Sports game by Camelot, that is probably as barebones as the rest of their recent output.3 or 4 minutes gonna be wasted on this, and you go pee while it is being shown.

But at the end something weird happens. A Nintendo rep(Their names always escapes me) says "But that's not all" and then claps their hands.

The screen turns to black...

And there it is: A full remake of the first two Golden Sun games. And then the world breathes at peace again.

- Back to the headlines. Atlus fucking finally, after what it seems like 4 years, announces a new Etrian Odyssey game. This game reinvents what it means to be a EO game, but its still faithful to the series.

- Capgod comes back to the direct to announce that not only that a new Ace Attorney collection(4,5,6) is comming in April, but Ace Attorney 7 is announced.

- Splatoon 3 updates in general, and we will probably have a sneak peek at the Expansion.

- Time for a new highlight and its Pikmin 4. They will give an actual showing of the game, and everyone will be happy.

- The one more thing will be a 1-2 minutes teaser of Metroid Prime 4, and it will have a 2024 release date. Before anyone says it, don't know about the trilogy. I don't think it exist, but if it does, it will only be announced in june. The logic is that this is a 2 half game, and since they are old games, Nintendo will want a smaller timeframe between announcement and release.

Top Bottom