• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct Announced for Feb 8th, 2023 (40min long)

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I should really play the Oracle games, I tried The Minish Cap after I was finally done with BotW and it didn't really grab me, is there a specific order to play them in?

You really should, nope you can do them in either order and either play both totally separately, or use a password system to do a "linked game" where the second one you play carries some things over from the previous, and a "true" final boss. Seasons is more combat focused where Ages is more puzzle focused but they both contain plenty of both. They're straight up the sequels to Link's Awakening in terms of gameplay, rather than plot.

I'm excited most of all, because this is probably the last big Direct we're gonna get before September. And early year Directs are usually pretty darn good. Hogwarts Legacy comes out this week, a big Direct to show us the roadmap for Switch for the next 3-6 months, Zelda is coming soon, man what a great time for gaming :)

This is a great week already, and it's only Tuesday, folks!

Last edited:

hemo memo

Lets Go Sport GIF by ALL ELITE WRESTLING

Switch has a touch screen and motion controls for TV players, if they wanted to keep that sort of stuff in. Main one would not be playing the entire game by dragging yourself around with a stylus. Certainly possible although I don't think they'll actually do it.

If they do actually remake the Oracle games I'll pay them up-front for both and I can die happy. The most underrated in the franchise by a country mile.
Funny you should say that, too, since they're one of the few Zelda games outside of Minish Cap that weren't actually developed by Nintendo. LOL.

I have heard that before about the games, that they're really good. I've never played them. I didn't get into Zelda til OoT, but I've only been able to get into the 3D ones. Sounds like they'd make great remake material!

Reactions: AV

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Switch is closing in to 6 years on the market. We haven’t seen a 10-year active lifecycle for… well, we’ve basically never seen it in this market. If you count the twilight years when there’s a successor already available then sure, but this thing can’t possibly have 4 more years in it before Nintendo releases new hardware. Hogwarts is already gonna have people laugh for weeks unless there’s some actual wizardry involved in its development. Switch can’t live on just indies and Wii ports for much longer.

What year are we on of people saying this exact same thing again?

Shuntaro Furukawa, president of Nintendo: "Switch is just in the middle of its lifecycle and the momentum going into this year is good. The Switch is ready to break a pattern of our past consoles that saw momentum weakening in their sixth year on the market and grow further".

It's a money printing machine. It officially surpassed the PS4 recently. You aren't getting a successor yet. Nobody gives a shit about the weak hardware when Animal Crossing sells 40 million copies.

SCB3

I suspect this to be a Zelda heavy focus with Release dates/Shadow drops for Advance Wars

I think

• 25 Mins for Zelda with CE and Switch CE announcements
  • Kirby release date
  • Xenoblade 3 DLC
  • Mario + Rabbids 2 DLC

Hopefully we get:
  • Silksong
  • Metroid Prime 4 news
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy Dropping
  • Samus Returns Switch Port

Expect the worst, hope for the best. I think they're going to just show a tiny bit. I'm half expecting a delay at this point. Zelda always gets multiple delays as surely as the sun rises.

Could delay it and announce Wind Waker / TP dual pack. That honestly makes the most sense to me.
why do people keep saying this?? LOL. They don't announce delays in a Direct. If it was delayed, they'd have announced it in January in a YouTube upload, and gotten the bad news out of the way before the Direct. I don't understand why this notion won't die, they don't announce delays in Directs. The game is coming. It was already delayed nearly a year.

Last edited:
I suspect this to be a Zelda heavy focus with Release dates/Shadow drops for Advance Wars

I think

• 25 Mins for Zelda with CE and Switch CE announcements
  • Kirby release date
  • Xenoblade 3 DLC
  • Mario + Rabbids 2 DLC

Hopefully we get:
  • Silksong
  • Metroid Prime 4 news
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy Dropping
  • Samus Returns Switch Port
Yep. Pikmin 4 trailer/ date might happen too, if it's fall. Doubt we'll see Metroid Prime 4. Kirby will get a trailer, but it's already been dated, not much else to tell people except remind us it's coming. Xenoblade 3 DLC is end of 2023, so doubt it would be here, unless you mean mini DLC, and not the story expansion.

Last edited:
why do people keep saying this?? LOL. They don't announce delays in a Direct. If it was delayed, they'd have announced it in January in a YouTube upload, and gotten the bad news out of the way before the Direct. I don't understand why this notion won't die, they don't announce delays in Directs.
Because it's Zelda. Zeldas always get delayed multiple times. Every time. Until I see the pre-order pages locked in it's a possibility. Even after that it's a possibility. I think I had my Twilight Princess order at Gamestop for several years. Skyward Sword delayed multiple times. Breath of the Wild delayed repeatedly.

Only thing is that this is a direct sequel, so maybe it's fine. But COVID also, so who knows.

Last edited:
Because it's Zelda. Zeldas always get delayed multiple times. Every time. Until I see the pre-order pages locked in it's a possibility. Even after that it's a possibility. I think I had my Twilight Princess order at Gamestop for several years. Skyward Sword delayed multiple times. Breath of the Wild delayed repeatedly.

Only thing is that this is a direct sequel, so maybe it's fine. But COVID also, so who knows.
It was already delayed, though. Everything you've mentioned happened last year, and why it was delayed out of 2022 and into mid-2023. And again, they don't announce delays in Directs. They announce them beforehand, otherwise the only thing people will talk about will be the delay, instead of the new announcements and info. If it had been delayed again, they would have announced it weeks ago.

MAtgS

Why are so many people predicting this? Has Nintendo said anything about it? I'd much rather have a new game. There's so much potential with this IP.
Samurai teased it in 1 of his making games videos: (jump to 4:35)

Last edited:

Shifty1897

My guesses: Zelda, Metroid Prime, Advance Wars, Bayonetta, DLC for existing games, more virtual console games, Kid Icarus Uprising Remaster?

AV

why do people keep saying this?? LOL. They don't announce delays in a Direct. If it was delayed, they'd have announced it in January in a YouTube upload, and gotten the bad news out of the way before the Direct. I don't understand why this notion won't die, they don't announce delays in Directs. The game is coming. It was already delayed nearly a year.

They do though. Animal Crossing delay was announced in the middle of their E3 Direct 2019.

SCB3

Yep. Pikmin 4 trailer/ date might happen too, if it's fall. Doubt we'll see Metroid Prime 4. Kirby will get a trailer, but it's already been dated, not much else to tell people except remind us it's coming. Xenoblade 3 DLC is end of 2023, so doubt it would be here, unless you mean mini DLC, and not the story expansion.
Yea I thought it was getting some smaller DLC like how 2 got some before Torna

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
I will not get hyped. I already have too many games to play and many more yet to buy. My backlog is shameful and a testament to my weakness.

..but if they announce a TotK collectors edition and TotK edition OLED Switch

diffusionx

Gold Member
I would not be surprised to see “Advance Wars 1+2, out later today”. Almost definitely real gameplay for TOTK. Other than that I’m guessing a whole lot of disappointment and farming games.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

do we all believe this will be a cross gen title with whatever switch comes next?

It would definitely be in Nintendo's best interest to use Zelda as a launch title than a sunset title...but this is Nintendo so I don't put anything past them.

If that's true, I thank you. Dr. Wilkinson Dr. Wilkinson has pulled that talking point on me a few times. He's out of control and must be stopped.
Eh, that was a bit different. Animal Crossing was announced in 2018 and given a 2019 date. It was a cinematic teaser. At E3 2019 at the end of the actual unveil trailer, it got a final date, and it was March 2020. I think we can all agree that's not really the situation here.

Last edited:
Eh, that was a bit different. Animal Crossing was announced in 2018 and given a 2019 date. It was a cinematic teaser. At E3 2019 at the end of the actual unveil trailer, it got a final date, and it was March 2020. I think we can all agree that's not really the situation here.
I just don't think there's some rule about it. They also never skipped having a June showcase before, but did that last year. If they want to announce a new date, open pre-orders, show a new trailer, and announce other Zelda remasters, it would be fine for any direct. I'm not going to die on this hill, but I'm just saying that any Zelda delay for any reason at any point in time does not surprise me.

I just don't think there's some rule about it. They also never skipped having a June showcase before, but did that last year. If they want to announce a new date, open pre-orders, show a new trailer, and announce other Zelda remasters, it would be fine for any direct. I'm not going to die on this hill, but I'm just saying that any Zelda delay for any reason at any point in time does not surprise me.
Sure, yeah. Like if tomorrow happens and it says 6.1.2023 instead of 5.12.2023 at the end of the trailer, I don't really think anyone would care. I'm just saying if there is a significant delay for TotK, it definitely won't be dropped on us in the Direct, as the buzz of the show would be entirely focused on "Zelda delayed to Fall 2023" for every site's headline, and that's all anyone would take out of it. That's really my only point.

Last edited:

AV

Pull the other one. A delay is a delay. It was given a release window and then it got moved because they admitted it wasn't ready.

Not that I think TotK is getting delayed.

Trunx81

My body is Reggie for 35 minutes of Pikmin 4!

Chooochoooo!

But if they show Hogwarts Legacy, I´m out. Super TERF Bros /s

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
It's definitely going to be aimed at the new Zelda mostly.

I assume they're gonna leave a new big budget Mario game announcement for the end of the year, to announce it alongside some new Switch hardware.

I wonder if the Baten Kaitos rumor is true and if they're going to announce it as well.

Pull the other one. A delay is a delay. It was given a release window and then it got moved because they admitted it wasn't ready.

Not that I think TotK is getting delayed.
Sure. Nintendo makes delay announcements on a case-by-case basis. Because the AC delay was minor, and it wasn't one of their major holiday titles that year anyway, announcing the delay as a slightly later date than we were expecting, by just showing the final date at the end of the trailer but not that far out to be upset about, and it wasn't one of their major titles that holiday, anyway, you see the difference.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I really hope they announce that TOTK is delayed and will launch alongside the Switch 2 this fall.
I hope they announce that TOTK is releasing on time, and will launch alongside the Switch 2 in May

Top Bottom