• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 2015 Event Schedule

Coketruck

So I see a big sentiment is that we'll see Animal Crossing for Wii U? Was there a leak of some sort?

I don't think there was a leak. Instead, it seems like there are a number of factors indicating that something AC related is coming (besides the Home Academy thing on 3DS): the AC Plaza on Wii U shutting down at the end of this year, the leaked AC amiibo, all the AC-related stuff they added in the Mario Kart DLC, etc.

Honestly? Nintendo doesn't really need to "win" this event with me. They've already won it with the Nintendo World Championships. Yes, Sony's conference was incredible with its multiple game announcements, but the NWC was just fun. It was fun to watch the elimination rounds, it was fun to see Reggie fail at Smash, and it was extremely fun to watch that Super Mario Maker Grand Finals. Nintendo knows that E3 has stopped being an "expo" a long time ago and became about entertainment and they killed it with the NWCs. Just by having that alone, I'm perfectly happy with whatever Nintendo shows me. If it's great stuff, even better. If it's not that impressive, I still had the NWC and 3 solid days of Treehouse Live so I'm still happy.

I really dig Nintendo's new approach to events and announcements. Nintendo E3 2013 has received mixed opinions because there was just a Direct and no spectacle. Sure, people love non-bloated announcements, but spectacle just needs to be on E3. Therefore, E3 2013 looked like Nintendo's attempt of cutting costs during Wii U's failure.

But E3 2014 and 2015 look way different. Not only the announcement part was updated to feel more festive than your usual Directs, but the spectacle was there too... and we received not only a non-bloated announcements, but non-bloated shows which doesn't feel like over-the-top advertisements.

Separation and specialization are surely good things.

Relatively short, but my gut says they don't have a lot to discuss anyway. Even being conservative (+/- 2mins):

5 - Yarn Yoshi again, release details, etc
5 - Animal Crossing amiibos and their associated game
5 - Super Mario Maker again, release details, etc
5 - Star Fox stuff
5 - Xenoblade 2 again, release details
5 - Indy/digital showcase
5 - Fire Emblem 3DS
5 - Devil's Third?

There's ~40 minutes alone.

Add Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem and Project Giant Robot and thats enough to fill their time .

I don't think there was a leak. Instead, it seems like there are a number of factors indicating that something AC related is coming (besides the Home Academy thing on 3DS): the AC Plaza on Wii U shutting down at the end of this year, the leaked AC amiibo, all the AC-related stuff they added in the Mario Kart DLC, etc.

Oh wow I missed the leaked AC amiibo. Awesome!

But did it sell worse or better than the last Metroid.

Which sold "close to half a million in US" on Wii. Wii sold around 50 million hardware units in US. So it only sold to around less than 1% of the customer base.

Wii U has sold almost 10 million hardware units worldwide (only). So to beat Other M, Tropical Freeze would need to sell around 100.000 copies only. And I think it totally did that.

I... don't think that's how it works. Percentages doesn't mean shit, especially with increased production values and Wii being more than just a Nintendo console.

E-phonk

Banned
Underperforming =/= terrible

It's on the Wii U. Every game not starring Mario or Link (and possibly Splatoon) has underperformed.
Captain Toad To The Rescue!

So I see a big sentiment is that we'll see Animal Crossing for Wii U? Was there a leak of some sort?
3DS app, amiibo figures leaked, rumoured to be in development, assets in the WiiU app, tracks in mario kart, focus in smash, ... It's one of the safer bets.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
When will this myth die? Also, they started working on their next game before Tropical Freeze was released, so no more of this crap please.
How is this "crap?" The John guy from NPD threads made it clear the game did not sell well at all.

jimi_dini

That half million in the US was the initial shipment run, which it never got another of. Many of which are still sitting on store shelves to this day.

Other M fully deserved that.

I bought mine for 10pounds or so a few months after release. And even that was overpriced. Tropical Freeze however - I think I paid almost full price. And it was more than worth it.

valouris

First E3 in years where I really don't know what to expect from Nintendo. We could get some interesting unexpected announcements, or just 2015-2016 stuff we already knew about it and an overall underwhelming showing. Hype levels are surprisingly low, which is usually a good thing for Nintendo announcements.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Nintendo is riding Splatoon now. While Devil's Third will bomb horribly, it caters to a specific audience. A Metroid would make much more sense of Nintendo wants to attract some new owners for Wii U. Or at least a different kind of audience.

xaszatm

Banned
As embarrassing as Reggie's Cranky Kong announcement on VGX?

Considering it was the ONLY good thing that came out of that damn show? Yeah, totally an embarrassment. If that was an embarrassment, what was the show?

You know, this is actually really insulting. It's not enough that Retro HAS to work on a game you want, and fuck things like letting the developer choose what he/she wants to create. No, we also have to hate something for not being what we want so much that we want it to fail out of petty spite. I don't understand how you could even have the time to have that much hate for something so insignificant.

Today is the day. I have no idea what Nintendo might show today, beyond showing off already announced games, that weren't covered in the past week.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Sort of likely...

• We find out what EAD is doing with Project Giant Robot and Project Guard. eshop releases? Wii Play 2? Star Fox U mini-games?
  • Star Fox U unveiling
  • Animal Crossing U?
  • Blastball details?
  • Retro Studios / Nintendo game?
  • Next Level Games / Nintendo game?
  • New EAD Tokyo project?
  • New Team Sakamoto project?

Koppai

I am so hyped, today will determine whther I import Rhythm Tengoku The Best+ lol. I am always at work when E3 is going on so I will try to make myself scarce and watch the event on my phone lol.

Revven

Honestly, these digital events/bigger Directs have been able to cram a ton of stuff in 45-50 minutes. People have been down on every single one before they happen and then afterwards everyone is surprised by what was covered in that length of time. I don't think it's terribly unlikely for them to announce two new games coming early 2016 or even coming at the end of this year. They could both be Wii U games or one is Wii U and one is 3DS. Those are my MINIMUM expectations, two new games.

However, at the same time, Nintendo is not shy to just regurgitating games and going over things we've seen a bunch of already. This includes Woolly World, Mario Maker, Xenoblade Chronicles X (yes we've seen a lot of this even though it's been the Japanese builds), and what not. It's not completely unexpected if half of this event is spent on those games alone and it's unfortunate but that's what happened when Nintendo blew its load in 2013 announcing games like SMT x Fire Emblem that were barely even in a conceptual phase of development.

Was everyone happy back in 2013 about those games? Yes, but that was assuming they were coming out a year later which... turned out not to be the case. Now that it's been two years for some of these games (Yoshi, XBX) people are getting quite tired of seeing them in a lot of the bigger Directs -- they'd rather see a new Metroid even if Metroid is a long ways off. Just the confidence in knowing a Metroid IS coming is what people want.

So this event can go either way:

Nintendo spends half of it on games coming this year, including some localization titles such as Fire Emblem If and Fatal Frame 5. And then the rest of the event is used on the new AC amiibos + possibly new AC game/Happy Home Designer connectivity, Star Fox, Hyrule Warriors 3D (you know this is getting covered), a new game coming in 2016, and then end on some kind of surprise remake/remaster/HD Collection/3D version like they have before with the likes of DKCR3D and such.

Or

Nintendo doesn't spend half of the event on titles we've seen a lot of and are coming this year. They announce 2-4 new games, one of those is the rumored DKR2 and the other is a new Paper Mario for Wii U (also rumored) -- both of these are early 2016 (or maybe DKR2 is slated for this year, either way, it's a new game). One of those 4 games is also a new collaboration game with a third party much like SMT x Fire Emblem or Pokken Tournament -- where they are giving their IP to the third party to make a new game out of it. They spend some time on indies again (even for games that are out on other systems by now) and then they end on a holiday game like Xenoblade or Mario Maker.

I also feel Star Fox is going to open the event no matter what. Nintendo likes to open with something that they teased in a previous E3 event and/or big Direct so Star Fox is it.

I'm not expecting the latter way for things to go but honestly I feel Nintendo has to at least have a few new games to unveil. 3DS has nothing going for it this holiday, what are they going to have for it to push hardware besides HW3D (which let's be honest isn't going to sell systems)? And the Wii U needs some other holiday title besides Mario Maker and Xenoblade -- DKR2 kind of fills that spot really well (if we go by the rumor slating it for a 2015 announcement and release).

There's also potential for new DLC announcements even if we got the Smash stuff already they could still tease something like Wolf to coincide with the Star Fox reveal because as of right now all we have in the pipeline for Smash DLC-wise are two 64 stages and the new modes coming in August.

I'm not holding my breath on any of this though, Nintendo is such a wild card. :/

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Oh come on, really? This is more realistic:

2 - Yoshi's Woolly World
5 - Animal Crossing
6 - Super Mario Maker w. SMB 30th Anniversary talk
5 - Star Fox
2 - Xenoblade Chronicles X
3 - Indie games
1 - Fire Emblem

That's 24 minutes. 3-7 minutes of Devil's Third, my ass.

I think you're being way, way too conservative with your numbers. Time flies man. I guess we'll see :/.

phanphare

Banned
Honestly? Nintendo doesn't really need to "win" this event with me. They've already won it with the Nintendo World Championships. Yes, Sony's conference was incredible with its multiple game announcements, but the NWC was just fun. It was fun to watch the elimination rounds, it was fun to see Reggie fail at Smash, and it was extremely fun to watch that Super Mario Maker Grand Finals. Nintendo knows that E3 has stopped being an "expo" a long time ago and became about entertainment and they killed it with the NWCs. Just by having that alone, I'm perfectly happy with whatever Nintendo shows me. If it's great stuff, even better. If it's not that impressive, I still had the NWC and 3 solid days of Treehouse Live so I'm still happy.

this is pretty much how I feel. with Nintendo's new E3 format they don't have to "win" E3, they are E3. like, all the pressers on Monday are great. I love seeing what's coming soon and not so soon from all the big publishers but today, tomorrow, and Thursday it will be all Nintendo all the time. their Treehouse streams defined E3 for me last year and this year I've found that they make the stuff on Monday really feel like the pre-E3 stuff that it is, if that makes sense. usually for those of us at home it's watch all the pressers and that's pretty much it. maybe go dig around for demos of stuff on the show floor. now with the Treehouse stuff the actual pressers are a much smaller percentage of what I'll be watching. makes them seem like a nice bonus on top of an experience that is much more in line with what E3 actually is and that's a video game trade show, not some manufactured hype spectacle.

diaspora

Considering it was the ONLY good thing that came out of that damn show? Yeah, totally an embarrassment. If that was an embarrassment, what was the show?

You know, this is actually really insulting. It's not enough that Retro HAS to work on a game you want, and fuck things like letting the developer choose what he/she wants to create. No, we also have to hate something for not being what we want so much that we want it to fail out of petty spite. I don't understand how you could even have the time to have that much hate for something so insignificant.
Cranky Kong's announcement was an amazing symbol for good shitty that show was. Incidentally, the developer can absolutely choose to work on an ass series, I just hope no one buys it. Again.

KingBroly

Banned
Other M fully deserved that.

I bought mine for 10pounds or so a few months after release. And even that was overpriced. Tropical Freeze however - I think I paid almost full price. And it was more than worth it.

Of course it does, and it angers/depresses me every time I see those copies sitting on store shelves that it was released.

But that discussion is for another time.

Tropical Freeze is an amazing game, and worth the money anyone pays for it. But at the time it was simply another 2D platformer after Nintendo having so many of them from 2009 onward on consoles. I hope Nintendo realizes that variety is a good thing for gamers, and decides to start giving us more than just those.

Tropical Freeze was fantastic and honestly I have yet to pick up a Wii U game I haven't been enamored with outside of Zombie U. I would love to see Nintendo go all in and announce a game or 2 for this year on Wii U and a few 1st quarter titles for next year. That being said if they come out and say Mother 3 today on Wii shop they could announce nothing but Skylanders and Farming Simulators and I would be all in.

xaszatm

Banned
I really dig Nintendo's new approach to events and announcements. Nintendo E3 2013 has received mixed opinions because there was just a Direct and no spectacle. Sure, people love non-bloated announcements, but spectacle just needs to be on E3. Therefore, E3 2013 looked like Nintendo's attempt of cutting costs during Wii U's failure.

But E3 2014 and 2015 look way different. Not only the announcement part was updated to feel more festive than your usual Directs, but the spectacle was there too... and we received not only a non-bloated announcements, but non-bloated shows which doesn't feel like over-the-top advertisements.

Separation and specialization are surely good things.

Which is funny because, let's face it, the NWC WAS a giant Nintendo advertisement. I mean, most of those games are available either on the 3DS or Wii U and its Virtual Console. That Super Mario Maker was a giant sales pitch for that game AND IT WORKED! It worked because it didn't hide behind fluff or "keywords" or bullshot cutscenes but by showing the gameplay. For that reason alone, I was super happy during that entire experience.

jimi_dini

I... don't think that's how it works. Percentages doesn't mean shit, especially with increased production values and Wii being more than just a Nintendo console.

How would you then compare sales in those cases? Absolute numbers? So every software on Wii U totally failed. And every software on PS3+360 also totally failed. (when compared against absolute sale numbers on Wii) Which game sold better than Wii Sports? Which sold 82 million copies?

Gran Turismo 5 sold a few more than 10 million copies. That's quite a lot when you look at the total number of PS3 owners. Compared to Wii sales, it's not that great. Uncharted 1 with with 2.6 million copies - that looks nice. But when you use absolute numbers compared to Mario Kart Wii it's nothing. It's a flop.

I mean there is simply no way to sell Mario Kart 8 36 million times. The amount of copies Mario Kart Wii sold. It's not possible. Simply because only around 10 million Wii Us were sold.

And I never said that sales of Tropical Freeze were superb. Instead I said that Other M sold even worse when you look at the customer base back on Wii. And it totally deserved that. The Metroid Prime games also didn't sell that well. I love them, but they didn't sell well. Even 3D marios on Wii didn't sell that well. 2D marios however sold insanely well.

I'm sure Other M wasn't cheap to make either. It surely cost a lot to make. And Reggie already said back then that sales were disappointing.

maxcriden

Yep. In addition to the above, though, there was also a recent comment from an AC producer saying something Wii U related was going to be announced very soon.

Lunarian

Neo Member
Am I insane to think we will see a new F-Zero game? Is this the most unlikely game to be announced from Nintendo?

What about standard N3DS in the US? Is that out of the realms of possibility? Anyone have an opinion?

robor

Sort of likely...

• We find out what EAD is doing with Project Giant Robot and Project Guard. eshop releases? Wii Play 2? Star Fox U mini-games?
  • Star Fox U unveiling
  • Animal Crossing U?
  • Blastball details?
  • Retro Studios / Nintendo game?
  • Next Level Games / Nintendo game?
  • New EAD Tokyo project?
    [*]New Team Sakamoto project?

Sakamoto still has a team?

xaszatm

Banned
Cranky Kong's announcement was an amazing symbol for good shitty that show was. Incidentally, the developer can absolutely choose to work on an ass series, I just hope no one buys it. Again.

...So...stop liking things I don't like? That is the entirety of your argument. Stop liking things I don't like. At least give something! This is nothing more than petty insulting and troll baiting of the worst kind. At least give a reason why you want Retro to fail.

diaspora

FWIW, at least if it turns out Sakamoto is leading a new Metroid, it would be for the best if Nintendo just cancelled it rather than letting him make the Metroid equivalent of Attack of the Clones by going George Lucas on the series.
...So...stop liking things I don't like? That is the entirety of your argument. Stop liking things I don't like. At least give something! This is nothing more than petty insulting and troll baiting of the worst kind. At least give a reason why you want Retro to fail.
Like/enjoy it all you want, that's your choice. Mine is to boycott any gave in the series and hope it continues to bomb.

E-phonk

Banned
Are there any chances they'll announce some sort of Skylanders alternative with their amiibos? Seems like a missed opportunity.

I Infinity/Skylanders deal that includes playable amiibo characters on WiiU/3Ds seems a possiblity I'd say. It would be a low effort "exclusive" that would work beneficial for both parties.

Which is funny because, let's face it, the NWC WAS a giant Nintendo advertisement. I mean, most of those games are available either on the 3DS or Wii U and its Virtual Console. That Super Mario Maker was a giant sales pitch for that game AND IT WORKED! It worked because it didn't hide behind fluff or "keywords" or bullshot cutscenes but by showing the gameplay. For that reason alone, I was super happy during that entire experience.

That's why I said "doesn't feel". Let's face it - E3 is a giant advertising base disguised as a show. The question is: who has the best disguise?

ozfunghi

I think you're being way, way too conservative with your numbers. Time flies man. I guess we'll see :/.

Not all of those will be getting the same amount of attention. Sometimes they just barely mention a game or go over a couple of them at the same time if we already know they're working on it, but they have nothing concrete to show yet. No need to get into specifics of XCX, all we need is a date. This could be done in less than a minute. If they don't want to show Starfox yet, then they'll just mention it (we already know it exists, so they have to at least mention it), that they're hard at work to produce the best possible experience, but have nothing to show us yet... at least two or three titles will fly by just like that.

-Horizon-

It's the season of miracles so expect to see Half Life 3 and Beyond Good and Evil 2 brought to you by Nintendo
on kickstarter

Red Hood

Banned
FWIW, at least if it turns out Sakamoto is leading a new Metroid, it would be for the best if Nintendo just cancelled it rather than letting him make the Metroid equivalent of Attack of the Clones by going George Lucas on the series.

Like/enjoy it all you want, that's your choice. Mine is to boycott any gave in the series and hope it continues to bomb.

I don't know, man. I mean, he still had a big hand in Super Metroid, Fusion and Zero Mission. I don't know, I think I COULD let the monstrosity that was Other M slip, but... I don't know... what if he does it again. I'd take my chances on it.

Top Bottom