• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo extends trademark for Eternal Darkness

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Eternal Darkness sold less than half a million copies. I doubt Nintendo would even consider it for a HD remaster.

Lovecraft himself died in his early fourties with very little success seen from his publication. It took the efforts of tons of contemporaries and fans to develop the household name he is now.

Eternal Darkness is a fantastic game, sales or no.

TheMoon

This and the rumored Zombi U 2 would be megaton for me.

There is no rumor. Just fake amazon listings that mean 0.

Meanwhile, ED hype!

I always imagine that Dyack's new company might be working on a HD remaster for NOA, trying to get them to sign off on making SotE a proper ED2 lol.

Makonero

Probably re-imagined as a free-to-play downloadable title. A puzzle game, perhaps.

Wait, this isn't EA, what am I thinking...

AgeEighty

I have a feeling that if anything comes of this at all, it will involve a re-release or a remake. I'm not so sure the window hasn't closed on an ED sequel (especially since none of the original creators would be involved).

If Retro is working on Eternal Darkness, the number of heart attacks from gamers will increase a bazillion-fold.

They were good at scaring people in Metroid Prime, and thats not even intentionally.

Sify64

Could NST be a possible candidate, since we haven't heard anything since the Mario&DK minis game that was released on 3DS.

Nintendo should stop pussy footing and re-release Eternal Darkness asap.

Remind everyone of why it was such a cool game. The biggest barrier to a sequel's success is simply that no one has played the original.

Could NST be a possible candidate, since we haven't heard anything since the Mario&DK minis game that was released on 3DS.

NST is way too small to handle a project of this scale, and they're apparently working on yet another Mario vs Donkey Kong game for Wii U. Can't wait for that!

TheMoon

Filing an extension on a trademark in no way whatsoever confirms that a new game is in development. You really shouldn't get people's hopes up like that.

This could just be them prepping for an e-Shop re-release, HD remaster, or merely wanting to keep their trademark from expiring.\

The original Eternal Darkness did not sell very well, and after Dyack's Kickstarter crashed and burned I fail to see why Nintendo would have much interest in reviving the IP.

That's exactly what the OP says, btw.

As for the KS thing, that mostly failed due to the horrible press surrounding it. It never had a chance with that type of publicity and the shoddy handling of all of it.

Crom

Not a chance.

My gut tells me that the Diddy Kong Racing 2 rumor is real, and Retro Team B and Monster Games are working on that while Retro Team A is working on a new Metroid.

Why would Nintendo want another Kart game? They already have Mario Kart and Sonic Racing? They are also still releasing DLC for Mario Kart.

Why would Nintendo want another Kart game? They already have Mario Kart and Sonic Racing? They are also still releasing DLC for Mario Kart.

This is the same company that has already released four mascot plaformers on the Wii U. They obviously don't care about genre diversity.

Khrno

Those are new games. A remaster of a M-rated decade-old flop isn't the same, especially when there are plenty of better-selling GameCube games to remaster.

So now quality means sales?

Sucks there aren't that many better games than ED from GC to remaster, in my opinion the only better game than ED has already been remastered.

tim1138

While this means nothing, I would love to see a HD remake of this game. It was my favorite GameCube game until RE4 came along.

TheMoon

http://vimeo.com/109576476

Wii U controls in the gameplay footage?

That is the exact PC footage they've been showing back when the KS was running. White buttons just mean they used white button icons ^^

NST is making Mario vs DK for Wii U right now. They're heavily involved in teh Web Framework stuff, they work on games on the side these days, system/dev tools is their main gig.

Joqu

Wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo gave the Shadow of the Eternals project the go ahead and let them use the Eternal Darkness name to be honest. Combined with some of Nintendo's quality control I could see it turn out decent too.

Eternal Darkness: Shadow of the Eternals doesn't sound half bad.

Effect

Hmm. I thought Nintendo couldn't extend their trademark on Eternal Darkness any further (file again or get extensions) after the last one that was posted. That they pretty much had to put up or or lose it. That no more extensions would be granted. Guess that wasn't the case. :(

I actually wish they'd be denied the extension to either force their hand or to stop there being this false hope.

Verger

Banned
Here's another thing regarding a sequel.

Who is going to write the story? Nintendo doesn't exactly have or seem to requisition talented writers for their games as they do not view story as the core of a game.

Eternal Darkness is most fondly remembered for its story and characters and the novelty of the sanity effects. They could obviously replicate the latter no doubt, but I don't see them making a compelling narrative.

SegaShack

People read too much into these things IMO. Like some PR guy will make a small comment and someone will make a thread GAME CONFIRMED!

alexandra_roivas_for_ssb4_by_elemental_aura-d6g20s2.jpg
Perfect.

LDAF

Smh, I thought they were expanding to become the western equivalent of EAD. Oh well.

They were sort of on their way to that, but they sort of fell flat on their faces and became a Mario vs. DK machine. It's a shame, but at least now it's a good place to start for someone entering the industry.

Neiteio

Denis Dyack may act like a poo-poo head sometimes, but I'm not sure a new Eternal Darkness would be the same without him. The story in the first one was so good. I played through it on all three alignments for the true ending.

Neiteio

Wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo gave the Shadow of the Eternals project the go ahead and let them use the Eternal Darkness name to be honest. Combined with some of Nintendo's quality control I could see it turn out decent too.

Eternal Darkness: Shadow of the Eternals doesn't sound half bad.
Ooo, I like that idea. I can already picture the OT.

Eternal Darkness: Shadow of the Eternals |OT| Dyack's Redemption

mantidor

*sigh*

This is not happening, people. You only have yourselves to blame if you get hyped about this.

Edit: and the thread's title is nonsense, Nintendo has confirmed shit.

Top Bottom