• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo extends trademark for Eternal Darkness

Instro

Wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo gave the Shadow of the Eternals project the go ahead and let them use the Eternal Darkness name to be honest. Combined with some of Nintendo's quality control I could see it turn out decent too.

Eternal Darkness: Shadow of the Eternals doesn't sound half bad.

Well Shadow of the Eternals was basically born out of ED2 getting shitcanned a year or 2 ago, so that seems unlikely.

pulga

Banned
Ive lost count of how many times we've been over this ED trademarking bullshit.

please let this one be the one <3

Neiteio

The controls should still hold up. They're not tank controls like old-school RE. You just push in the direction you want to go, and you go in that direction. Beyond that, there's a lock-on to target enemies, and you tap up, left or right to target the head, left arm or right arm, respectively.

Verger

Banned
It definitely is weird. I know companies keep hold of IP's no matter what, but ED as has been noted was not a commercial success. I suppose it could just be the corporate mentality of holding on to them for no reason, but it still seems somewhat obsessive.

I felt like the game would have been better had it used the insanity effects less frequently. Maybe even script them (to a certain degree). I know that goes against the concept of them in the first one, but they weren't convincing at all after a while.

That memory card wipe and TV remote though. Got me everything time lol

Mithos

I don't think this is actual confirmation. I'm sure they can say whatever reason they want to in order to extend their hold on the IP.

A few more times, yes, but as I understand it Nintendo are running out of time with Eternal Darkness also, last time December 2013 I believe was the last/final warning, use the IP within 36 months or loose the rights to it (but I could have understood it wrong).

Astral Dog

I doubt its gonna happen, unless it was some kind of remaster.

What made ED special was not the gameplay, but the atmosphere, story, without SK its kinda difficult to do, and i doubt Nintendo would take that risk for ED.

Everyone says Retro, but i doubt they would get it rigth, without some of the original creators collaborating, even if it was a better game.

Ala bayonetta 2. This would clearly be the most awesome result

But, nobody bougth Bayonetta 2 :(

Marcel

What made ED special was not the gameplay, but the atmosphere, story, without SK its kinda difficult to do, and i doubt Nintendo would take that risk for ED.

Everyone says Retro, but i doubt they would get it rigth, without some of the original creators collaborating, even if it was a better game.

Everything good about SK was dribbled down Denis Dyack's leg. It's nice you want things but let's not act like he will be allowed anywhere near a potential new title in the franchise with his current track record.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Not a chance.

My gut tells me that the Diddy Kong Racing 2 rumor is real, and Retro Team B and Monster Games are working on that while Retro Team A is working on a new Metroid.

This is my dream scenario.

Verger

Banned

Agreed. Denis wrote the story and the characters and by his own words he and another programmer created all the Sanity effects. Credit to Nintendo for agreeing to some of them since a lot of the ones that erased saves or made the system seem "broken" would typically be nightmares as far as QA/CS approval goes.

Even in this thread, most people remembering the game fondly are due to the Story/Characters, not the gameplay and its "tank controls"

Marcel

Agreed. Denis wrote the story and the characters and by his own words he and another programmer created all the Sanity effects. Credit to Nintendo for agreeing to some of them since a lot of the ones that erased saves or made the system seem "broken" would typically be nightmares as far as QA/CS approval goes.

Even in this thread, most people remembering the game fondly are due to the Story/Characters, not the gameplay and its "tank controls"

There's nothing that can't be replicated or improved upon by a competent developer in Nintendo's stable, and certainly ones that haven't had a massive fall from grace like DD and the people dumb enough to still associate with him.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Those are new games. A remaster of a M-rated decade-old flop isn't the same, especially when there are plenty of better-selling GameCube games to remaster.
Nintendo is not going to break the bank on a remaster, toxi. They own the game, its not like they have to pay dennis dyack or anything to up-port their own game either, I dont get what you trying to argue, that it may not sell a ton? remasters dont have to.

BY2K

Membero Americo
If they want the game to be playable with the Vitality Sensor, they're gonna have to absolutely NAIL the atmosphere.

Dr. Buni

I count on you Retro Studios ;)
Better than working on Metroid or Donkey Kong again, but I would be a tad disappointed since I am expecting Retro to be working either on a new IP or on the revival of a retro IP. But that would be my fault, for having any expectations, to begin with.

Either way, those are good news! Perhaps with the revival of Eternal Darkness, we can finally have a rep from a horror game in Super Smash Bros? I would sure love that!
Is it bad that the first thought that came to my mind after reading the title was SSB?

Edit: Wait, this is supposed to be a QoL thing? Confused I am.

This is almost definitely nothing.

Thread title should be, "Nintendo complies with formalities for extending trademark protection for Eternal Darkness"

I've always wanted to try this game. I missed it the first time around and playing GameCube games on an HDTV can be a harrowing experience.

kogasu

I'd LOVE anything new from Eternal Darkness but I'm thinking this is just the whole trademark thing again. Don't get your hopes up too high. I'm just glad they've kept it going this long. Who knows, maybe it could be something...

Cheerilee

Well Shadow of the Eternals was basically born out of ED2 getting shitcanned a year or 2 ago, so that seems unlikely.

ED2 wasn't shitcanned.

Dyack offered to make ED2 as a Wii launch title, but Iwata said it was too early and it cost too much. So Dyack hooked up with Microsoft and made Too Human.

After Too Human, Dyack worked on XMen for Activision, and allegedly siphoned money away to work on ED2 for PS360. Then Silicon Knights died due to Epic lawsuit, but not before Dyack was able to eject ED2 materials over to a new startup company.

"Precursor Games" tried to go the Kickstarter route and get Shadow of the Eternals (ED2) completed for PS3/360/Wii U using fan money, rather than bringing it to Nintendo, because if it was completed using fan money then Precursor would own the finished product, but if it was completed with Nintendo money, then Nintendo would own it.

Precursor failed and died and SotE was ejected over to a third company just a few months ago, and Dyack's apparently trying something to get the game pushed into completion.

Haunted

Eternal Darkness HD remaster for WiiU with the visual fidelity of that other project they tried to get started pls

Nightbird

I'm starting to get tired of this Trademark-News appearing every few Months. Nintendo should just outright confirm if there are other Plans for the Franchise or not. Stop asking about Zelda U, start asking the kind of Stuff where they didn't already prepared the Answers beforehand dear Gaming Journalists

L Thammy

"DECLARATION: The signatory being warned that willful false statements and the like are punishable by fine or imprisonment, or both, under 18 U.S.C. Section 1001, and that such willful false statements and the like may jeopardize the validity of the application or submission or any registration resulting therefrom, declares that all statements made of his/her own knowledge are true and that all statements made on information and belief are believed to be true."​

This part makes it sound like they can't just file this and do nothing. Can someone more familiar with the differences between patent, copyright, and trademark confirm?

Nintendo funded Bayonetta 2, Fatal Frame 5 and Devil's Third, so it isn't really that unlikely.

Some of that isn't really the same. Devil's Third was reportedly quite close to completion when THQ fell through. Bayonetta 2 was also in development when Nintendo picked it up. That's Nintendo being opportunistic and picking up titles that they don't have the fund the full development of.

As far as we know, Eternal Darkness 2's development was... what, one room? It's undoubtedly been shown to Nintendo already.

sfried

I'm starting to get tired of this Trademark-News appearing every few Months. Nintendo should just outright confirm if there are other Plans for the Franchise or not. Stop asking about Zelda U, start asking the kind of Stuff where they didn't already prepared the Answers beforehand dear Gaming Journalists

Nintendo is not obligated to announce anything.

Top Bottom