• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo extends trademark for Eternal Darkness

L Thammy

alexandra_roivas_for_ssb4_by_elemental_aura-d6g20s2.jpg

Eternal Darkness' Smash representation should be Pious Augustus. Seriously, you have a game with a skeleton wizard centurion as probably the most central character to the plot, and you're going to pass that up? Alex does nothing but sit around and read for 90% of the game.

TheMoon

"Precursor Games" tried to go the Kickstarter route and get Shadow of the Eternals (ED2) completed for PS3/360/Wii U using fan money, rather than bringing it to Nintendo, because if it was completed using fan money then Precursor would own the finished product, but if it was completed with Nintendo money, then Nintendo would own it.

PC/WiiU. PS360 weren't on the table.

Eternal Darkness HD remaster for WiiU with the visual fidelity of that other project they tried to get started pls

That'd be a complete remake, not a remaster.

King_Moc

Banned
Eternal Darkness' Smash representation should be Pious Augustus. Seriously, you have a game with a skeleton wizard centurion as probably the most central character to the plot, and you're going to pass that up? Alex does nothing but sit around and read for 90% of the game.

Maximillian, all night long. He could give a crazed description of each fighter, kind of like what they did with Snake in Brawl.

border

You guys realize that Nintendo filed for an extension on Eternal Darkness' trademark in 2010, right? And since then they have made no new game, they did no re-release, no remaster.

All they did was sit on their trademark until it died again in 2013.

This is not "technically" a confirmation of any project.

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4804:oux9rd.2.2

Word Mark ETERNAL DARKNESS
Goods and Services (ABANDONED) IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: computer game programs; computer game software; electronic game programs; electronic game software; interactive electronic game programs; interactive electronic game software; interactive video game programs; interactive video game software; video game programs; video game software
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 77932350
Filing Date February 10, 2010
Current Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Published for Opposition May 25, 2010
Owner (APPLICANT) Nintendo of America Inc. CORPORATION WASHINGTON 4600 150th Avenue NE Redmond WASHINGTON 98052
Attorney of Record Jerald E. Nagae
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator DEAD
Abandonment Date August 19, 2013

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
@border: I'm very well aware of the earlier filing and that is has the same "product or service research or development" label as the active filing. Technically due to what is stated, some kind of product development or research is being conducted in one way or another. Same thing for the earlier filing. As I wrote in the OP, this confirms that some kind of work is done on Eternal Darkness, not that a game will be released. It could simply be a small think thank being responsible for any issues regarding this franchise; they could swap ideas a few times a year and maybe do some visual work. That could constitute as development or research.

Now, I don't want to get anyone entangled in deep USPTO politics, so let's just agree on that something is going on with the franchise, for better or worse.

RagnarokX

You guys realize that Nintendo filed for an extension on Eternal Darkness' trademark in 2010, right? And since then they have made no new game, they did no re-release, no remaster.

I agree that a trademark extension is no evidence. They do it all the time. But they didn't exactly do nothing. Eternal Darkness 2 was essentially in the works until Dyack capsized his boat and Nintendo didn't want to work with him.

_Clash_

IF it happens it would be a combo deal to replace the loss of Resident Evil to next gen and fill a market audience niche they need. So it could happen.

And if it does the sequel will be bundled with a remake of the original.

Could will be the kick starter guys.

Astral Dog

There's nothing that can't be replicated or improved upon by a competent developer in Nintendo's stable, and certainly ones that haven't had a massive fall from grace like DD and the people dumb enough to still associate with him.

Hey, i would be happy if we got Eternal Darkness 2, but, the planets would need to align for that to happen :O

Just dont get your hopes up, people are too excited, but if its coming back it would be too different from the ED everybod knows anyways, what if the team of shadows of the eternals were collaborating with Nintendo ? that would be nice, but, its never going to happen.

Verger

Banned
PLEASE DON'T BE AN HD REMASTER... Make a sequel or something...
Remember, Eternal Darkness is not readily available to play by anyone who doesn't have a Gamecube and for most it's probably been 10 years or more since they have.

And if they did make a sequel, considering how long it has been since the original and how few got a chance to play it, they'd be crazy to only just release a sequel to something over 10 years old and that few have played.

Instro

ED2 wasn't shitcanned.

Dyack offered to make ED2 as a Wii launch title, but Iwata said it was too early and it cost too much. So Dyack hooked up with Microsoft and made Too Human.

After Too Human, Dyack worked on XMen for Activision, and allegedly siphoned money away to work on ED2 for PS360. Then Silicon Knights died due to Epic lawsuit, but not before Dyack was able to eject ED2 materials over to a new startup company.

"Precursor Games" tried to go the Kickstarter route and get Shadow of the Eternals (ED2) completed for PS3/360/Wii U using fan money, rather than bringing it to Nintendo, because if it was completed using fan money then Precursor would own the finished product, but if it was completed with Nintendo money, then Nintendo would own it.

Precursor failed and died and SotE was ejected over to a third company just a few months ago, and Dyack's apparently trying something to get the game pushed into completion.

About 2 years ago ED2 was rumored to be in development for the WiiU by some insiders. Sometime later one of them confirmed it had been canned by Nintendo for various reasons. This is separate from the Wii attempt. A couple months after that happened their kickstarter appeared.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
port to new 3ds

sphinx

the piano man
give it the bayonetta treatment

ED1 remaster + ED2 in one package, get above 85% metacritic and then brag about it on christmas.

It's so easy

jimi_dini

It is still probably not that easy to obtain a physical copy. Something like this needs a digital release to try and grab more consumers.

available on amazon uk for 11pounds, amazon de for 10EUR. amazon US starts at $35.

Still, I want a new one. Not a port of the old. Would still buy it, but plz.

ED1 remaster + ED2 in one package

Now that's more like it.

6e14iWi.gif

port to new 3ds

I will report you for eating children.

Better than working on Metroid or Donkey Kong again, but I would be a tad disappointed since I am expecting Retro to be working either on a new IP or on the revival of a retro IP. But that would be my fault, for having any expectations, to begin with.

Either way, those are good news! Perhaps with the revival of Eternal Darkness, we can finally have a rep from a horror game in Super Smash Bros? I would sure love that!
Is it bad that the first thought that came to my mind after reading the title was SSB?

Edit: Wait, this is supposed to be a QoL thing? Confused I am.

Metroid or a new IP would be also awesome to me ;)

gngf123

It is still probably not that easy to obtain a physical copy. Something like this needs a digital release to try and grab more consumers.
It is incredibly easy to get a physical copy. I did so myself only a couple of months ago, £10 boxed.

I'm all for a digital rerelease though.

Mr. RPG

Nintendo technically confirms development of new Eternal Darkness title

However, this is not confirmation that a new game in this franchise will be released, much can happen along the way and Nintendo can decide to at any point without prior notice cancel development of the game and thereby also the trademark.

Doesn't this statement contradict the topic title?

Jotthah

that's being true to lovecraft's style. in almost all of his writings someone finds/inherates writings connected to unspeakable horrors:-D

masud

Banned
I cant be the only one who thought eternal darkness was a really bad game can I? The story was passable and the insanity stuff was interesting but the actual gameplay was awful.

L Thammy

that's being true to lovecraft's style. in almost all of his writings someone finds/inherates writings connected to unspeakable horrors:-D

And that's why everyone remembers Cthulhu more than... uh... I'm genuinely trying to remember who the protagonist of Call of Cthulhu was or what his job was. I don't think he was the one who got eaten by a non-euclidean angle.

Shit title is shit. Thanks for nothing OP. This doesn't mean anything.

OP should be banished to an external darkness forever. And if ED2 does happen to be made, unban him and give him GAF Gold for his time served.

I bought a used copy of the game, but have yet to play it. I need to dust off my old GameCube, hook it up and play through this.

Hopefully they'll make a sequel.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Shit title is shit. Thanks for nothing OP. This doesn't mean anything.

OP should be banished to an external darkness forever. And if ED2 does happen to be made, unban him and give him GAF Gold for his time served.
It was careless of me to choose the title I did. A title like the current one (thanks to the mod that changed it) would have better reflected the story. I apologize for this and hope I can avoid such errors in the future.

Rösti;144102820 said:
It was careless of me to choose the title I did. A title like the current one (thanks to the mod that changed it) would have better reflected the story. I apologize for this and hope I can avoid such errors in the future.

It's all good. Just giving you a hard time OP. :)

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

rostl continuously has made a thread whenever the trademark has extended, so when he noticed something different it could lead to something more.

Shiggy

I doubt this pretty much for the following reasons:
- There's not a big audience for such a title on Wii U (and especially not on 3DS)
- Nintendo would probably rather port a more lucrative GCN title
- While Nintendo still holds a majority of Silicon Knights, the company is only an empty shell these days
- If Nintendo asked a different team to port the game, they will have some huge trouble understanding the game code - the engine was created by SK

The trademark has been extended before, I've seen these threads for several times. Yet nothing happened.

Top Bottom