• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo FY23Q2 Earning reports: Splatoon 3 7.9m and more

reksveks

Key images

waS0DWT.jpg
fzXZFg2.jpg
R9Oiggh.jpg
MaD7N0t.jpg
FkJS8lb.jpg
Wtcts7M.jpg

Summary:
- net sales up in JPY, need to figure out what the fx impact was
- sell-in down 15% to 3.25m but sell-through down less
- now forecasting 19m switch's this FY
- Splatoon 3 sells 7.9m and Mario Kart another 1.59m
- Digital units up 30% YoY now more than 50% of all units

Tweets

Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2022/221108_8e.pdf

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Good numbers for XB3. The franchise is steadily growing in popularity. It took Tales Of Arise 7-8 months to get to 2 million and that was a game released on multiple platforms.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Xenoblade 2 sold around 2.5 million.

Xenoblade 3 has sold 1.7 so far, so it has a solid chance of topping Xenoblade 2. That is an incredibly good sign for that franchise, as people are not likely to jump into a long demanding RPG like that on a whim, yet it seems to grow nonetheless.

Kirby selling 2 million after the initial launch is surprising too, I didn't expect it to have legs like that.

Switch Sports, even if it sold a lot, is still a bit underwhelming considering what it leverages (Wii sports). But you can't complain when a game sells 6 million. Especially since the budget of that game must have been low, cause god damn it's barebones.

Mario Strikers is a bit hard to judge, because I'm pretty sure it has sold more than any of the other Striker games, yet, you get the sense it could push over 3 million if the initial backlash wasn't so negative.

Splatoon 3 is gonna sell at the level of Splatoon 2, that is a big success.

Mario Kart continues its march toward world domination. Gonna cross 50 million in the near future.

The Switch is gonna lose more and more ground to the PS5 and Series X, there is no way around that, but as long as it doesn't fall off a cliff in 6 months, it's still gonna continue to sell extremely well for an old console, even if it's gonna drop under 20 million a year and the PS5 is gonna start to skyrocket.

reksveks

So it's safe to assume that Switch will beat PS4 in sales by the end of the year, right?
Switch should hit 126.6m by the end of the FY, I would say 123m by end of the calendar year.

I think the latest ps4 Ltd number is 117.2m so definitely happening this year.

Robb

Gold Member
Switch chugging along still, I was expecting around 3M. Great sales for such an old console, and all with little to no price drop.

Splatoon sales are just crazy, as usual. Also looks like Mario Kart 8 will be hitting 50M soon on Switch alone, which is also just insane. Might end up at 60M when you include the WiiU numbers.

So it's safe to assume that Switch will beat PS4 in sales by the end of the year, right?
Considering they’re at 114M now and usually sell around 10M during the holidays I’d say it’s pretty much a given at this point.

Last edited:

yurinka

I assume Sony focused the chips they got for the PS5, so PS4 will continue without stock. PS4 highly decreased its shipments months before the PS5 release and went decreasing to basically zero, even if the console isn't oficially discontinued. So pretty likely by the end of the year (or if not in the last quarter of this fiscal year) Switch will pass PS4 unless Sony restocks it.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don't think that'll happen, one of Nintendo s faults is they'd rather sell less but keep the price high even if it lowers overall revenue
Quoted for truth. Although, in this case, I don't think even Nintendo has ever refused to budge on a console for this long. At this point they've normally already released a brand new console... It will be 6 years since its initial release next March. Perhaps they're following the Xbox development cycle and will release a new console 7 years from the launch of the Switch. But a console going for that long without a price decrease is unheard of. I can't help but think about how outdated a 6 year old PC is in this day and age.

Nintendo console releases in NA:
Gamecube (Nov 18, 2001) -> 5 years -> Wii (Nov 19, 2006) -> 6 years -> Wii U (Nov 18, 2012) -> ~4.5 years -> Switch (Mar 3, 2017) -> 7+ years? -> who knows...

Lower the freaking price of your console, Nintendo!
Just Do It Shia GIF by MOODMAN

Components and shipments increased their price, and the dollar continues strong, so the profit per console must have been reduced a lot, so it's likely that they won't reduce its price. Unlike Sony or MS, Nintendo typically have a fair profit margin on their devices so it's less likely to see them rising the price. But it wouldn't discard it.
But 6 years...SIX YEARS :messenger_loudly_crying: The Switch is Nintendo's best selling console ever and the OP shows that Nintendo is doing just fine financially.

A strong dollar is good for N as it translates to more yen.

No need for a price cut when they're selling out all they can produce and ship. Stocks are very low in Japan.

daclynk

wow software is killing it for Nintendo. Pls Nintendo remake or release New game for your Dead IPs and see them sell well or even break records.

Last edited:

Tams

Quoted for truth. Although, in this case, I don't think even Nintendo has ever refused to budge on a console for this long. At this point they've normally already released a brand new console... It will be 6 years since its initial release next March. Perhaps they're following the Xbox development cycle and will release a new console 7 years from the launch of the Switch. But a console going for that long without a price decrease is unheard of. I can't help but think about how outdated a 6 year old PC is in this day and age.

Nintendo console releases in NA:
Gamecube (Nov 18, 2001) -> 5 years -> Wii (Nov 19, 2006) -> 6 years -> Wii U (Nov 18, 2012) -> ~4.5 years -> Switch (Mar 3, 2017) -> 7+ years? -> who knows...

Lower the freaking price of your console, Nintendo!
Just Do It Shia GIF by MOODMAN

But 6 years...SIX YEARS :messenger_loudly_crying: The Switch is Nintendo's best selling console ever and the OP shows that Nintendo is doing just fine financially.
Get a used one or a Lite then, you cheapskate.

The hardware was meh and software was record breaking (best Q2 ever) and Mario Kart keeps rolling along. I wonder if Splatoon 3 can have a stellar holiday and get beyond 10 million by the years end.

yurinka

Dollar value, shipping costs, inflation and component costs skyrocketing are unrelated to how successful or old the device is, or how the company performs financially.

Look at Meta, PlayStation, the PC GPU cards etc. They are also very successful but if these other things increase too much there is a point where they are losing too much money per unit sold, so they have to rise the price.

In the case of Nintendo is different, because previously they had a huge profit margin when selling the console. And before all this started to skyrocket they sold a lot of units meaning they increased that profit margin.

Last edited:
Top Bottom