• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Going Mobile: Smartphone Game Deal with DeNA [First Games Fall 2015]

Why is there surprise? Despite what fans want to believe, it never made sense for Nintendo to ignore such a potentially lucrative market. Especially with their home console business in pieces, and with the dedicated handheld contracting.

This isn't the end of the world, but it's stupid to even suggest that they shouldn't at least test the waters to see what they can come up with. It's Nintendo after all. Of all the developers/publishers out there, I trust them in actually making great experiences even with limited controls.

Will be interesting to see where this ends up.

JoeM86

There will be tons of misunderstanding about this. Iwata only mentioned the NX to counter this but oh well. There will be gaming applications for smartphones by Nintendo. That´s the big news here. You will have a unified account on everything that´s avaiable - that´s the other one.

What you won´t get is unified games. On the contrary. Both parties mentioned the importance of IPs. Iwata said it word by word that software has to be unique to the hardware to not damage the IP with bad controls or sluggish performance.

No ports. Unique software. Nintendo still doing a dedicated system, No hybrid.
The market will decide if it stays that way but thats where we are now.

This sort of crap is exactly what happened with the Wii U. Nintendo made it quite clear beforehand that they were showing their new console. Yes, their video could have been better, but it's continual misunderstanding and people not reading what was actually said and making assumptions, then perpetuating said assumptions, which is a large part of what caused Wii U confusion. Nintendo didn't help matters, but this was a big factor.

History repeats.

A mermbership service like Steam? Through which you can download and play games on your PC?

No. One like Club Nintendo and Miiverse, and a web eShop combined into one. Things like that.

You're seemingly equating their membership service to equate to a digital game distribution service and that is one hell of an assumption and jump.

Raitaro

Big news this. Felt like I was in the Twilight Zone when I looked at Gaf this morning (having a nasty cold didn't help either).

While it's too early to tell which consequences all of this will have, I do worry a bit that this will lead to big changes in how Nintendo thinks about game design. Sure, they are working on a new dedicated games console, but what kind of games will we see on there if Nintendo discovers first hand how easily they can make money with Hay Day, Clash of Clans and Candy Crush-like games on mobile platforms that have minimal gameplay?

I, in other words, fear that they might never go back to creating bigger traditional gaming experiences after they've seen the "light" so to speak. Then again, maybe they will keep making those games as well, even if they cost more to make and require a dedicated system. For now though, this news does read a bit like they're admitting defeat and that they've given in to shareholders' demands - which in general is never really a good thing I feel.

Knuf

Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about gaming culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in real life where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in videogaming, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the gaming public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase New Mario Smart 9 for either system, nor will they purchase any of Nintendo's amiibos. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Nintendo has alienated an entire market with this move.

Nintendo, publicly apologize and cancel your mobile strategy or you can kiss your business goodbye.

What in the actual fuck?!? thematrixnotlikethis.gif ;_;

Mato

You're seemingly equating their membership service to equate to a digital game distribution service and that is one hell of an assumption and jump.

Isn't eshop a digital game distribution service, a variant of Steam?

JoeM86

Don't jump the gun yet. It could very well be a mobile/handheld hybrid. Or an Android based console, now that they are developing games for mobile too.

Yeah except it's not.

Isn't eshop digital game distribution service, a variant of Steam?

Are you intentionally being obtuse? I was referring to one like the Xbox one where you buy Xbox360/Xbox One games through a web portal, using your XBL account and it auto download to your console.

DavidDesu

I knew it! Just saying...

*insert cocky gif here*

Frankly Nintendo have just secured their future with this. The money is going to roll in. The potential for GOOD fun mobile games again is fantastic with Nintendo IPs. I trust them not to cynically crow bar in micro transactions like many mobile devs do (stupid popups every 5 minutes trying to get you to buy shit in the middle of a game like Angry Birds etc). If Nintendo keep it classy they're going to make billions off of this. Combine it with a good portable running a mobile OS and transition all Ninty games to it, mobile and dedicated, and they might have a sale from me!

I'd love to see games with two versions, one free with micro transactions to unlock a few features, characters or costumes, and a complete version with EVERYTHING included and no need for micro transactions after that.

Oh and a new handheld must include a bloody 1080p capacitive touch screen, for the love of god Nintendo.

Hanmik

mailbag20031127_mario_phone1.jpg

Mario iPhone Home..

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So Nintendo is finally going 3rd party ;)

I got a bit of heat on Twitter for this, but they are, partially.

Yes, they still have their own platforms, but yes, they are now going to be publishing Nintendo games on others' platforms. And sharing 30% off their gross rev on those games with others for the privilege.

This is a huge precedent - that Nintendo software can exist divorced from Nintendo devices and platforms.

The historical significance of this will come down to what Interceptor said - where the market gravitates. If people don't take to Nintendo games on other platforms, the endeavor will dwindle and Nintendo will probably more exclusively focus on their own devices and platforms again. However if this takes off in a big way, and their own platforms struggle, it will raise big question marks about the balance of platform ownership and resource allocation at Nintendo I think. The precedent has been set though - it's up to the market now to decide where they want to play Nintendo games. Nintendo's devices, or others? Go forth and decide :p

If this is going to be a meaningless "side business" that has no impact on any of their output they would not be doing this:

You don't hope to reach 'hundreds of millions of people' and invest so heavily in DeNA with a side business. Nintendo Playing Cards are a side business, this deal, along with their account system sounds like it's going to have a big impact on their future.

OK, side business was the wrong term. Even if they put as much, or even more, emphasis on mobile as on their dedicated platform, I don't see them abandoning their "core games". They'll still make most/many of their big games exclusive to dedicated systems, mobile controls are simply too limited for many types of games. They'll make games that are playable across both types of platforms, but that just won't work for many of their games. Sharing the same OS and services would work but not sharing all games. So I'm not worried that I won't get to play my complete console Zeldas in the future. That's what I meant. Either way, there's not much info on their new platform anyway so we'll see what they'll come up with.

danm999

Yes, they still have their own platforms, but yes, they are now going to be publishing Nintendo games on others' platforms. And sharing 30% off their gross rev on those games with others for the privilege.

This is a huge precedent - that Nintendo software can exist divorced from Nintendo devices and platforms.

The historical significance of this will come down to what Interceptor said - where the market gravitates. If people don't take to Nintendo games on other platforms, the endeavor will dwindle and Nintendo will probably more exclusively focus on their own devices and platforms again. However if this takes off in a big way, and their own platforms struggle, it will raise big question marks about the balance of platform ownership and resource allocation at Nintendo I think. The precedent has been set though - it's up to the market now to decide where they want to play Nintendo games. Nintendo's devices, or others? Go forth and decide :p

Yeah reading it all over now it does feel a bit like a trial balloon without having to sacrifice their core systems or their core audience.

Read the whole presentation and I think that they may have find the best approach possible for them.

People should read this. A lot of things said regarding gaming and mobile market could put things in perspective and help understand why Nintendo took its time.

Two important quotes are for me :

07.jpg

Iwata:
Last year, an unprecedented thing in the history of the Japanese video game market happened: Five titles for Nintendo 3DS sold more than two million copies each in the latter six-month period of 2014. As this record-breaking incident attests, video game software sales have been progressing smoothly on dedicated video game hardware even after smart devices have become widespread in this country.

16.jpg

Iwata:
Just looking at the fact that several applications that earn great profits are highly visible in the smart device game business, people in general appear to see it as an easy money market. The fact is, however, it is a highly competitive market and only a handful of content providers have been able to show enduring results. If Nintendo cannot make it to that handful of winners, it does not make sense for us to be engaged in the software business on smart devices.

Now what will they offer? An easy start could be Pokemon Shuffle, StreetPass games, Mii Plaza app, Dedede's Drum Dash, Wario Ware... none of these would be bad without buttons.

Mato

Are you intentionally being obtuse? I was referring to one like the Xbox one where you buy Xbox360/Xbox One games through a web portal, using your XBL account and it auto download to your console.

In truth I'm not very familiar with any of these services, it really seems to me not much different as an outsider.

JoeM86

In truth I'm not very familiar with any of these services, it really seems to me not much different as an outsider.

Basically, on PC, it'll just be an account management service like Club Nintendo, tied with Miiverse and whatever cool web portals they think of. It won't be them putting games on PC.

SmokyDave

This is what I've been thinking about since reading the news. A world where Nintendo still make great games but I don't need to own their hardware is a world I can very much get behind. I guess we'll see how it goes.

I hope someone posts an mFI controller to Nintendo HQ so they can toy with the idea of 'bridging the gap' even further.

JoeM86

Based on what? What I said it would still be a dedicated game device.

It being an Android device would be ridiculous. It'd shift it to Nintendo giving Google 30% royalties and not getting any from other publishers releasing on it. It's never, ever, ever going to happen.

And it won't be a mobile/handheld hybrid because they said it's a traditional dedicated gaming device.

duckroll

OK, side business was the wrong term. Even if they put as much, or even more, emphasis on mobile as on their dedicated platform, I don't see them abandoning their "core games". They'll still make most/many of their big games exclusive to dedicated systems, mobile controls are simply too limited for many types of games. They'll make games that are playable across both types of platforms, but that just won't work for many of their games. Sharing the same OS and services would work but not sharing all games. So I'm not worried that I won't get to play my complete console Zeldas in the future. That's what I meant. Either way, there's not much info on their new platform anyway so we'll see what they'll come up with.

No one who is following this news closely is suggesting they are abandoning their core games or worried that there will be no console Zelda in the future. That does not make this news any less substantial and of great importance. It shows Nintendo is finally diversifying their approach to their business. Previously they have been very resistant to approaching the software business on platforms which they do not own and control. This is a huge step for them to take, and I think it reflects their growing concern that they may no longer be making as much from the dedicated gaming space as they would like.

Celine

Agree although I don't think they are mutually exclusive.

SmokyDave

It being an Android device would be ridiculous. It'd shift it to Nintendo giving Google 30% royalties and not getting any from other publishers releasing on it. It's never, ever, ever going to happen.

And it won't be a mobile/handheld hybrid because they said it's a traditional dedicated gaming device.
What does that actually mean though? It doesn't really tell us anything other than it will have physical controls. Edit: And obviously you won't be making phone calls on it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Where? I'm looking at the info on Nintendo site and it says it's a "Dedicated game platform with brand-new concept". Nothing about a traditional one. Maybe in the Q&A? Brand-new concept seems opposed to traditional for me.

What does that actually mean though? It doesn't really tell us anything other than it will have physical controls.
I think they mean "traditonal" as in the focus will be on games. You can probably watch Hulu or Netflix on it as well.
It will be Nintendo's answer to the smartphone and not actually one. Sorry if I came off saying something else. I am ill.

duckroll

What does that actually mean though? It doesn't really tell us anything other than it will have physical controls. Edit: And obviously you won't be making phone calls on it.

It means a hardware sold by Nintendo which will play games developed specifically for it. I'm not sure what is confusing about it. I mean, it's not terribly surprising or anything, but Nintendo is basically saying "yes we will still release hardware, we are still a first-party" here.

What happens when their smartphone games are looking better than their 3DS games?

Their WiiU games are better looking than their 3DS games. Doesn't seem to matter much to consumers, especially in Japan. In the end it will come down to content and pricing, not so much graphics.

Err, being Android based doesn't mean being in the Google App Store ecosystem. Amazon has their own store, for example, they're not paying Google shit.

Oppo

Big news this. Felt like I was in the Twilight Zone when I looked at Gaf this morning (having a nasty cold didn't help either).

While it's too early to tell which consequences all of this will have, I do worry a bit that this will lead to big changes in how Nintendo thinks about game design. Sure, they are working on a new dedicated games console, but what kind of games will we see on there if Nintendo discovers first hand how easily they can make money with Hay Day, Clash of Clans and Candy Crush-like games on mobile platforms that have minimal gameplay?

I, in other words, fear that they might never go back to creating bigger traditional gaming experiences after they've seen the "light" so to speak. Then again, maybe they will keep making those games as well, even if they cost more to make and require a dedicated system. For now though, this news does read a bit like they're admitting defeat and that they've given in to shareholders' demands - which in general is never really a good thing I feel.

pretty much my thoughts.

people are expressing hope in the "games will be good, don't worry" - was never a real worry. the worry (as it were) is that Nintendo will make huge bank with this strategy and never look back. why would they, if they manage a Puzzle & Dragons type hit on mobile phones.

this is what I thought they'd do, though. never understood why the idea got shouted down so much in these parts. sentimentality I suppose.

Iwata said during the Q&A (I'm pretty sure that's when it was) that the NX was unrelated to mobile devices. He didn't specify if it was a home console or a handheld or something completely new, but it's not a smart phone or smart phone equivalent.

Android itself is actually open source and royalty-free from memory.

It's the use of Google Mobile Services that requires a license from Google.

SmokyDave

It means a hardware sold by Nintendo which will play games developed specifically for it. I'm not sure what is confusing about it. I mean, it's not terribly surprising or anything, but Nintendo is basically saying "yes we will still release hardware, we are still a first-party" here.
That doesn't rule out an Android OS or anything like that though. That was my point. That it's a dedicated device tells us very little other than what you stated in your first sentence.

I think they mean "traditonal" as in the focus will be on games. You can probably watch Hulu or Netflix on it as well.
It will be Nintendo's answer to the smartphone and not actually one. Sorry if I came off saying something else. I am ill.
Sure, that's how I understand it. I just wouldn't rule out a halfway house between an iPod Touch and a 3DS.

Top Bottom