• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Going Mobile: Smartphone Game Deal with DeNA [First Games Fall 2015]

Jobbs

Banned
this seems appropriate:

100.gif

What if there isn't even another dedicated Nintendo handheld hardware.

RPGamer92

Banned
The smart thing about this is that they don't even have to make new games. If they just put their retro games on ioS/Android/Steam, they'd be swimming in money.

You really think Nintendo is going to stop making Wii U/3DS games because they can sell a lot of $1 Mario runners or Pokemon puzzle games? Are we actually jumping to this conclusion now?

Come on man. This will have no impact on their dedicated hardware.

The idea that this doesn't have the potential to influence the resources they put into traditional games is idealistic at best. After all, Nintendo is already going to to use internal development resources for this.

emb

Welp, time for a new hobby. It's been fun, video games.

:p

Really, I hope they get some solid cash from it. Just not enough to take their focus off of the part of their business I like, hopefully.

About time.

Before you Ninty fanboys start freaking out, relax, this is probably just going to be shit like Puzzle and Dragons with Mario and Pokemon Shuffle. In short, cheaply-made F2P shit that Nintendo can use to promote their larger content base on 3DS and Wii U. You aren't going to see classic stuff like Super Mario Bros. or Zelda 1 anytime soon unless things get REALLY desperate.

Also, expect this shit to be Android-only. No way Nintendo teams up, even by association, with Apple or Microsoft.

Either way, Nintendo is going to make bank off of this. This is a necessary move.

neptunes

Holy crap, reading this thread a lot of people are already expecting lackluster, half-assed efforts, and we haven't even seen a single game yet. It's best not to assume anything.

What happened to brand dilution? are some of you thinking Nintendo is going to suddenly drop their core development philosophies when they begin to develop on a new platform?

Exile20

Guess this makes it easy to spend less money this gen. I'm sure Sony and Valve are still happy to take my money instead. Pokemon Shuffle gives me zero hope for this being anything but yet another shitstain on the tapestry of mobile.
Some post here are so laughable. They are still going to make wiiu 3ds games.

Guess this makes it easy to spend less money this gen. I'm sure Sony and Valve are still happy to take my money instead. Pokemon Shuffle gives me zero hope for this being anything but yet another shitstain on the tapestry of mobile.
Except that Pokemon Shuffle is a lot of fun. Has better music then a lot of games as well.

Cheebo

Banned
this seems appropriate:

100.gif

What if there isn't even another dedicated Nintendo handheld hardware.

If you are posting it to show you are a bitter old grumpy person who is unwilling to accept change and the industry trends? Then yes, it is appropriate. A lot here have a "GET OFF MY LAWN!" mentality which is just embarrasing.

Nintendo themselves is developing mobile games, and Iwata said they are committed to making some of the best on the platform. That is great news to everyone.

bomblord1

Banned
Holy crap, reading this thread a lot of people are already expecting lackluster, half-assed efforts, and we haven't even seen a single game yet.

What happened to brand dilution? are some of you thinking Nintendo is going to suddenly drop their core development philosophies when they begin to develop on a new platform?

Well not putting games on non-nintendo platforms was part of their core philosophy as well so there's that.

doofy102

Holy crap, reading this thread a lot of people are already expecting lackluster, half-assed efforts, and we haven't even seen a single game yet. It's best not to assume anything.

There's a serious lack of "vision" going on in this topic. Everybody is actually convinced that mobile offers nothing of value or originality. The reputation of mobile is so low that even Nintendo doesn't reverse the cynicism.

The idea that this doesn't have the potential to influence the resources they put into traditional games is idealistic at best. After all, Nintendo is already going to to use internal development resources for this.

Infinity Blade is an example I like to point to; it was made by a 12 man team from Epic/Chair in 5 months. The game used the Unreal 3 engine...you really think it's going to take a ton of time/resources for Nintendo to throw mini game collections on an App Store? I saw this argument used all the time when people were saying Nintendo would never go mobile and it has never made sense.

takoyaki

first thought:

Fuck!

second thought:

There might be hope, they are partnering with DeNa instead of doing it all by themselves. This could be something like Nintendo and Sega/Namco developing Arcade games that were based on Gamecube or WiiU games. Those games didn't replace the GC Version of F-zero or the WiiU version of Mario Kart, but they were another avenue for getting money from people who might recognize the IPs but wouldn't buy hardware to play it on.

I don't think a new Nintendo console and Smartphone games are mutually exclusive: The consoles for the 10-20 million hardcore Nintendo fans that will buy tons of Amiibo just because they love the characters and smartphone games for the Blue Ocean Wii crowd, just with recognizable IPs.

edit: Just saw the other thread about their "Project NX" thing. That sounds a lot like a new console with an account system for the core. This could have been a lot worse, they could have focused solely on smartphones...

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
They'd have to sell a gazillion apps to match their current revenue.

You really think Nintendo is going to stop making Wii U/3DS games because they can sell a lot of $1 Mario runners or Pokemon puzzle games? Are we actually jumping to this conclusion now?

Come on man. This will have no impact on their dedicated hardware.

I say it depends on how big a success it will be. If it is a huge success, why be in the risky and low-margin console-buisness at all?

numble

Only very simple games that are easy to copy get endless copycats. Was there endless copycats for Oceanhorn? GTA? Walking Dead? Scribblenauts? Minecraft?

I'm sure there were a couple, but nothing like Flappy Bird that nearly anyone can make.

Celine

You think the F2P model is absent on consoles? Do you not own a Wii U, PS4, or XBO because that statement is straight up false. Tanks Tanks Tanks, Planetside 2, Killer Instinct...I could go on. You can keep creating self imposed mental roadblocks to disregard the quality of mobile gaming, I'll chose to trust in the company who has never let me down with a bad game. Going mobile doesn't hurt the brand and it's weird to see people hold onto that concept.
The statement that F2P is for the most part absent on console gaming is false?
Ah ah ah.

Hope they still have a solid focus on their dedicated console games. Mobile will probably net them more profit however.

Geez Pokemon in your phone...I cant even begin to imagine.

Pokemon on mobile would probably help alleviate its rapidly aging (and therefore dying) fanbase.

doofy102

The assumption that Nintendo is going to just allow their IPs to be in tons of shit software is head scratching.

It's mobile's rep. What if Nintendo puts out great games and actually pulls the reputation of mobile software out of the mud a little bit?

marrec

Banned
If you are posting it to show you are a bitter old grumpy person who is unwilling to accept change and the industry trends? Then yes, it is appropriate. A lot here have a "GET OFF MY LAWN!" mentality which is just embarrasing.

Nintendo themselves is developing mobile games, and Iwata said they are committed to making some of the best on the platform. That is great news to everyone.

Yuuup. A perfectly appropriate GIF for the negative reactions in this thread. A bunch of old negative nancies without much actual thought recoiling simply because they have no clue just how far smartphone games have come and just how much potential for consumers and producers are in that market.

Great news for gamers and for Nintendo.

Cheebo

Banned
lol at the idea this wont be on iOS. iOS is still much more lucrative in terms of revenue for games than Android (iPhone users more willing to spend money on apps than Android users). It is why to this day games still tend to come to iOS first before Android. There is no way Nintendo wouldn't release the titles on the most profitable of the two mobile platforms. So many dumb posts in this thread, its unreal. It's like this news caused fanboys to lose any grasp of reality they had.

Avixph

Only very simple games that are easy to copy get endless copycats. Was there endless copycats for Oceanhorn? GTA? Walking Dead? Scribblenauts? Minecraft?

I'm sure there were a couple, but nothing like Flappy Bird that nearly anyone can make.
There are dozens of GTA clones and Millions of Minecraft clones on the Play and ITunes stores.

Busaiku

It's gonna be funny to see stuff like Pokemon Shuffle get nominated for handheld GOTY at places like BAFTA and GDC.

considering the themes of that movie, it's far more appropriate than you probably wanted, dude
Never seen it but isn't he just a grumpy old man who is threatened change?

Seems about right for some of the posts in here. I laugh every time I see somebody say they are boycotting Nintendo for diversifying their business. It's not like they are just going to pull a SEGA and abandon dedicated hardware.

doofy102

There are dozens of GTA clones and Millions of Minecraft clones on the Play and ITunes stores.

Nintendo games have been cloned since before I was born, yet Nintendo never seems to be threatened or dethroned. It's hard to replicate a Nintendo game's quality. Heck, it's hard to replicate a Nintendo game's feel. Cheap cloners might as well be putting out different games altogether.

RedFyn

So a 33% stake in Pokemon will allow them to associate with Apple, but a 10% stake in DeNA will not?
I'm not disagreeing with you. I just don't think the tcg makes for a good argument. It's been on PC for a while etc.

My comment really should've been "to be fair it's the tcg"

bomblord1

Banned
The assumption that Nintendo is going to just allow their IPs to be in tons of shit software is head scratching.

Yea I guess you're right there's no precedent for it.

Let me just say I'm not really that negative about it more cautiously optimistic I genuinely hope it works out for them without replacing their core hardware business. IE it strengthens their brands and encourages sales of the dedicated platforms.

GCX

Well not putting games on non-nintendo platforms was part of their core philosophy as well so there's that.
That's a business strategy, not philosophy.

Business strategy can change with the times but a good company/development philosophy can be easily adapted to work within those changes. A sentence like "let's make good products instead of bad ones" works whatever happens to the strategy.

Top Bottom