• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Going Mobile: Smartphone Game Deal with DeNA [First Games Fall 2015]

Conezays

Did not expect to read such a megaton this morning. Wow.

Interested to see where it goes. Hopefully this doesn't affect their console/handheld development.

Why does this feel like a step towards Nintendo going third party?

Not in the next year or even decade, but it feels like the first step has been taken here...

Effect

How could they not make this move? Nintendo is a company known for superior IP's, especially on handhelds. This is going to be huge for them, and that only means they will survive and continue to make great games. I for one am happy about this.

Why does this sound like you didn't bother reading the announcement and just saw the title. They aren't putting their hand held games on mobile. They are using their IP to make mobile specific games. Games from the console and hand held aren't being ported over.

wait... why is everyone celebrating about Nintendo going third party? there's another thread talking about a new console.

Some people don't bother to read anything but the topic title.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Can people stop saying "Nintendo is making mobile games" though?

It's not Nintendo making them, they licensed their IPs to DeNa.

For now.

RMI

Banned
Salty about letting go of Nintendo's stock a few months ago: that's what I am.

As long as this somehow translates into better support (i.e. MORE SOFTWARE) for their console and handheld I don't care. Seems like good news.

Mr Swine

Banned

Not in the next year or even decade, but it feels like the first step has been taken here...

Aren't they essentially a third party developer now since their games are coming out on other platforms (smartphones)?

Well, because it sort of is. It is definitely a first step.

What matters is whether they take any more steps. Could be in ten years, Nintendo is strong as hell, buoyed by the third pillar that is mobile devices. Could be that they're a 3rd party studio, making games for everyone who wants them. In that case, people will definitely point to this decision as the beginning of the end.

But, I guess how you should feel right now depends on how optimistic you are, because it could still very easily go either way.

Other mobile developers are going to begin folding left and right.

Remember, no one thinks they can compete with Nintendo.

I like this!

I always shake my head at that excuse.

Before I'd give off a rant, but now I just tell the developers to git gud!
Put in AAA effort instead of shovelware/ port cash grabs.

domlolz

Banned
HAHAHAHA

dat crow

I give it about two more console generations before they finally go full mobile.

At least they're starting to get with the times but knowing Nintendo they'll still find a bunch of ways to fuck this up for themselves. It's the Nintendo way.

even if your stupid prediction did come true that'd be a terrible thing for the game industry as nintendo are probably the most consistently great developer around. no nintendo home consoles and games would be fucking horrible.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Eh, it could go either way.

It could just be another new revenue stream (along with Amiibo and QoL) that helps them keep their dedicated gaming hardware line going as it gives them more money to put into R&D, makes it easier to weather some launch losses if they want to go more powerful and price aggressively, easier to weather a failure here and there like the Wii U.

Or it could show them that their games sell great on any platform, that they can make the type of games they want to without their own hardware, and spur a move to third party.

Time will tell.

heidern

The most obvious candidates for release on mobile are Brain Training and Nintendogs.

Iwata's theory is that in addition to being able to make money from mobile games, they will act as free advertising for their IP and dedicated devices and actually increase sales of their handhelds and consoles.

Step 1) Get new customer playing Nintendo IP on smart devices
Step 2) Convince this user to upgrade to a more premium gaming option(console, handheld, NX)

Dubz

Why does this sound like you didn't bother reading the announcement and just saw the title. They aren't putting their hand held games on mobile. They are using their IP to make mobile specific games. Games from the console and hand held aren't being ported over.

Some people don't bother to read anything but the topic title.
I did read the article. What I am saying is that these games will make a lot of money and be good, due to the fact that Nintendo knows how to make great handheld...ie mobile....games. Sorry if worded poorly.

Griss

What first step? There is only 'third party' and 'not third party', and Nintendo is now a third party developer as well as a first party one. It has happened. The step has been taken, and once the first game releases then it is done.

I do not buy those that say that Nintendo will not have anything to do with the development of the games. There is simply no way that they put the fate of their IP in DeNA's hands like that.

EDIT: If you meant exclusively third party then I apologize. I have argued for years, though, that they should be third party in the home console space, but not the handheld one.

From the second sentence of the PR:

"leveraging the strength of Nintendo's intellectual property (IP) and game development skills in combination with DeNA's world-class expertise in mobile games, both companies will develop and operate new game apps based on Nintendo's IP, including its iconic game characters, for smart devices. "

Thank you.

For now.

"leveraging the strength of Nintendo's intellectual property (IP) and game development skills in combination with DeNA's world-class expertise in mobile games, both companies will develop and operate new game apps based on Nintendo's IP, including its iconic game characters, for smart devices. "

Hiltz

In the past, I am aware that Nintendo has mentioned licensing IPs, mergers & acquisitions, raising brand awareness by using mobile devices as a marketing tools and putting Miiverse on smartphones, but what I don't get is why Nintendo didn't do what it is doing with this new plan sooner. With that said, I realize that this kind of thing obviously takes considerable consideration and planning before Nintendo can reveal such news to the public, but the thing is, Iwata spoke about mobile devices last year as if its not something Nintendo would ever support for anything more than as a means to use as a marketing tool. Iwata felt that supporting mobile games would devalue Nintendo IP and he also said he was not concerned about short-term profitability, but more so about the future of the company for as long as he remained in his position at Nintendo.

I understand that Iwata has acknowledged the need for Nintendo to expand its business and make more revenue beyond its primarily reliance on the sales its dedicated hardware and software. We've seen them take risks with Amiibo and have plans for this other risky upcoming Quality of Life product as well. Iwata knows that Nintendo needs to adapt and position itself in a place where it has more flexibility and isn't stuck in a bad spot like it was earlier this generation with the 3DS not being able to compensate for Nintendo's financial and marketing issues with Wii U.

To be clear, is Nintendo actually goign to have real , full-fledged games put on mobile devices or is this new software just going to be mobile gaming apps ?

LOCK

So generally I feel this is a slam dunk for both parties.

On Nintendo's side, they're likely getting some ridiculous royalty like 35-50% of the money made after Apple/Google take their cut.

DeNA is a prominant, long time Japanese mobile vendor that specializes in adapting licensed IPs into successful games that are well tuned for mobile audiences, and have had some good success overseas. While they were most prominent in the feature phone days, they do still have modern successes in Japan, have some remaining success in the West, and with the strength of IPs like this, should be able to make very significant launches that both acquire and monetize well. There are very few companies that have success both domestically and abroad in mobile, so this is notable.

Given that mobile now dominates the casual market, holds great sway over children, and is the dominant form of gaming in many emerging markets (and even Japan for that matter), Nintendo will also get their brands in front of many more people, which makes them much more valuable as licensable IP for merchandizing and transmedia efforts. It keeps Nintendo's IPs relevant as well in world where handhelds are fading and Nintendo's consoles are borderline moribund.

As an even further bonus, the type of games that succeed on mobile have very little overlap with those that work on handhelds, so for the short and mid-term, Nintendo can keep on making handheld games without hugely fearing cannibalization. Obviously there will be some amount of cannibalization, but given how much handheld retraction has already happened, Nintendo might end up gaining as many new converts as they lose to people who are happy to just have a Mario autorunner on their phone. In the short term they could even grow a bit, though I think the long term prospect is still a steady decline. With the NX account system, they can try and encourage this as well by doing things like sending Pokemon to your 3DS/4DS game box by achieving certain things in Puzzles & Pokemon or vice versa, which helps entice people to play both.

On DeNA's side, this is quite possibly the biggest licensing deal in mobile history. Nintendo's brands are extremely well recognized and incredibly popular, and people will flock to them on mobile in droves. Given that DeNA already has monetization down pat, this should result in a windfall profit. This also gives them a great avenue to worldwide relevance instead of earning overwhelmingly from Japan. Acquiring all these new users to their platform is a great way to boost their other games as well. Beyond that, assuming these games are successful, which they almost assuredly will be, it also gives them a great sales pitch for licensing more IP to boot.

For Nintendo, I think the next step is working hard on getting great licensing deals going for TV, cartoons, and film. Disney, Warner (Cartoon Network), or even Viacom (Nickelodeon) would be good partners. This will get their brands in front of even more audiences, especially kids, and help them try to remodel the company into an IP and merchandizing powerhouse, which feels like a much stronger direction for the company. They can obviously keep video game development as one of their strong arms of the business, but they desperately need diversification, and this is the most straightforward and obvious route by far.

This is so accurate. Exactly how this should be interpreted.

SmokyDave

For now.
It sounds like they're getting involved:

"Nintendo and DeNA will jointly develop and operate gaming applications for smart devices in global markets.

With this alliance, new entertainment that utilizes Nintendo’s IP will be provided globally via smart devices."

BY2K

Membero Americo

Well then...

rjinaz

even if your stupid prediction did come true that'd be a terrible thing for the game industry as nintendo are probably the most consistently great developer around. no nintendo home consoles and games would be fucking horrible.

I completely agree as somebody that doesn't play Nintendo games all that often. Nintendo games on consoles and handhelds are fantastic when they appeal to me, and at least for now the mobile experience can't touch them. I mean why would anybody even want Nintendo to be mobile only? Unless they are strictly only a mobile gamer which I doubt there are many here on gaf at any rate.

takoyaki

The more I think about it, the more sense it makes. This is certainly a better way of entering the Chinese gaming market than stuff like this:

ique-player-24bbfnlnw.jpg

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
no nintendo home consoles and games would be fucking horrible.
This is sort of my fear. And it'll probably be when I bow out of buying new consoles, to be honest. They're basically the only big publisher that makes games that consistently match my taste.

Effect

I did read the article. What I am saying is that these games will make a lot of money and be good, due to the fact that Nintendo knows how to make great handheld...ie mobile....games. Sorry if worded poorly.

Sorry. A bit touchy today. I get what your saying.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Since Nirolak mentioned deals with Disney Channel, CN and other networks for movies/cartoons/whatever, I just gave a better look at this slide of the presentation

11.jpg

Visual Content wouldn't be movies/cartoons? In that case...doesn't that confirm that Nintendo is actually working on that front as well?

AGoodODST

Nintendo is just licensing their IP? Not the 3rdpartypocalypse then, a least for now.

At the very least it won't take away resources from Nintendo's own developers while generating income for more games.

Spineker

Banned
Maybe this is a good thing for us. Nintendo can isolate their cheap feeling throwaway games like NSMB to mobile then keep the good shit for their consoles

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
I think it would be interesting for NX to be compatible with the mobile games, allowing something like cross buy.

slit

Since Nirolak mentioned deals with Disney Channel, CN and other networks for movies/cartoons/whatever, I just gave a better look at this slide of the presentation

11.jpg

Visual Content wouldn't be movies/cartoons? In that case...doesn't that confirm that Nintendo is actually working on that front as well?

Well the WSJ already broke the news that they are working with Netflix on a Zelda series so we know they are going in that direction.

Kickz

When that easy mobile money starts trickling in... byebye new console..

Suddenly Fire Emblem games mobile only.

Possibly later ported to 3DS>

The end, it is nigh

For now.

That's not true, at all. I listened to the conference last night and DeNA's CEO said, "Nintendo will be handling most of the front-end of games, and we will be helping with servers."
And then Iwata said, "To clarify, by 'front-end' we mean the part gamers play."

It seems their relationship is such that Nintendo will be developing most of the mobile apps themselves, and DeNA will be handling things like cloud services, maybe the unified user system, etc.

MrMephistoX

They're still making console games and not dedicating their internal resources so this could actually be a big market boost for them and increase sales of their home consoles through cross pollination. China will be huge.

They can just use the proceeds to fund R&D.

Just a reminder that many diehards refused to ever acknowledge that Nintendo would ever make mobile games. Please keep this example in mind when discussing what Nintendo might or might not do in the future since there are plenty of reasonable possibilities.

Hiltz

So I take it this means Nintendo is only making gaming apps and not actual full-fledged games like Angry Birds and Mine Craft on mobile devices?

slit

When that easy mobile money starts trickling in... byebye new console..

Suddenly Fire Emblem games mobile only.

Possibly later ported to 3DS>

The end, it is nigh

I really hope your're not serious.

I can't even tell in this thread anymore. lol

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
That's not true, at all. I listened to the conference last night and DeNA's CEO said, "Nintendo will be handling most of the front-end of games, and we will be helping with servers."
And then Iwata said, "To clarify, by 'front-end' we mean the part gamers play."

It seems their relationship is such that Nintendo will be developing most of the mobile apps themselves, and DeNA will be handling things like cloud services, maybe the unified user system, etc.

This together with the "jointly develop" (in bold) needs to be in the OP. It's not Hyrule Warriors kind of thing, it's a long term joint operation.

ChaosXVI

I don't know, this seems like an overall good idea, they can get their IPs on smartphones and get a ton more sales and attention for their franchises, and thus luring them into buying their hardware where people can get the more premium experiences.

Really this isn't much different from what they said they'd be doing before, except instead of something vague like "apps" it will be actual games that best lend themselves to mobile/touchscreen only experiences like Warioware and other mini-game type stuff.

Top Bottom