• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Going Mobile: Smartphone Game Deal with DeNA [First Games Fall 2015]

Mr Swine

Banned
This is such a great breakdown of the events. I feel like everybody wins with these decisions.

Traditional game fans still get those games. Mobile is happening, with original content suited to the platform.

Everybody wins. Everyone should be happy.

Nobody wins until Nintendo announces and sells their next gen portable. Who knows what this will do to it. Maybe the bigger part of the market that bought the 3DS will go smartphones only and that is goi g to cut off a big part of their handheld sales. What happens if the gen handheld sells only 10-13 million worldwide or less? That can't be good for them and they will probably drop making handhelds all together

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Nintendo's stock went up fairly dramatically last year(?) based purely on mobile development speculation, but it didn't pan out as investors expected. Now that they've actually announced it for real, it's going to rise and rise.

It's fluctuating wildly today.

boiled goose

good with gravy
What is key IMO is the development of a robust unified account system. The future in videogames is services.

With a robust account Nintendo can deliver content to any hardware in the future. New dedicated portable? New console? New vc box?

Even beyond mobile. We don't know what the future will bring. Smart TVs take over? Nintendo phone? Tablets? Cloud gaming?

The key is the account.

monlo

After reading the corporate release http://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/en/2015/150317/index.html, I honestly think there is very little downside for Nintendo and DeNa. The way both are going to help each other; seems like a symbiotic relationship in nature. I almost wish the Wii U launched with this setup, now that I'm thinking about it. It probably would have won over the console market, at least, I could envision a way in which it would have been awesome. I'm excited to see what they do with the mobile side -- like, Wii Fit U + iPhone. Who knows? At the end of the day, this is exactly what everyone complained about with Nintendo: no unified account system. Well, now, you're gonna get that -- and you're probably gonna have a unified distribution system too. This is great for consumers.

Vena

It's fluctuating wildly today.

Hasn't really fluctuated at all (going straight upwards isn't really what I'd call fluctuating, anyway), it was just on an upswing. Now its going back down to nominal levels and will stabilize. There's still a lot of uncertainty in the company and we won't see real strength come to their shares until these endeavors start to pan out more.

specialK

Banned
2222400_o.gif

Selling lower budget games to the casual group in order to fund the games that satiate the hardcore base that likes big, expansive games? Sounds like a win to me.

Astral Dog

People saying this the end of Nintendo traditional console and software business are also exaggerating a little, it won't be that, at worst its still going to be awhile, like a generation more

TreIII

Largely agreed. But I feel we shouldn't see Nintendo's hardware business set as "fading away" for sure next gen. I feel the possibilities of getting the "NintendOS" idea right, with different game devices playing the same games, could be very good in terms of expanding their sales numbers overall (handheld + consoles) again. And I say "overall" because, in the aforementioned case of getting that idea right, handhelds and consoles would just be two different ways to experience the same content: they'd be part of the same family, letting the consumers decide how to play them. I think Club Nintendo's successor being developed in conjunction with DeNA is already (in theory) a very good step in this sense, and that will be a "core element" of the new platform.

This is how I feel as well.

Assuming "NintendOS" really does take off, it could be the ideal platform for Nintendo to keep cultivating their ecosystem for ages to come, across many levels of hardware that suit a variety of users (re: mobile for casual gamers, traditional consoles/portables for the core).

My greatest hope would be that the very notion of a more standardized system would mean that you buy something once, and it's yours across all the Nintendo hardware that's supported by it. Namely, assuming Puzzles & Dragons and PKMN Shuffle do show that there's an audience for this stuff on the 3DS, then I'd like to think that the "NX" (or whatever form the next Nintendo handheld takes) could be able to buy and download those "for mobile" games, too.

After all, if it came down to it, it's less the thing that I have a problem with mobile games, and more that I would rather play it on a platform that has a control scheme that I vibe with better.

ksamedi

Wow, just reading all this. Huge step forward for Nintendo. Seems more like a merger than a partnership. I think both companies can benefit from another very efficiently. I think this will boost Nintendo's hardware business.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Next thing you know, Nintendo will introduce a proper online gaming system where your games are tied to your account! :)

You should read the news.

Iwata:

Nintendo, together with DeNA, will jointly develop a new membership service which encompasses the existing Nintendo 3DS and Wii U systems, the new hardware system with a brand-new concept, NX, and smart devices and PCs, and Nintendo will be the primary party to operate this new membership service. Unlike the Club Nintendo membership service that Nintendo has been operating, the new membership service will include multiple devices and create a connection between Nintendo and each individual consumer regardless of the device the consumer uses. This membership will form one of the core elements of the new Nintendo platform that I just mentioned.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/en/2015/150317/03.html

Cyd0nia

Banned
It threatens them if they make a ton of money of mobile-games. Why make another Zelda-game like that if the money can be better spent on mobile games?

They are a prestige gaming brand with unparalleled respect and reputation. They make good things because that is where their reputation comes from, because that is their history and because without the larger more memorable experiences - nobody would even know Mario and Zelda. Mickey Mouse may no longer be Disney's biggest cash cow but he is still treated with requisite care and love as the face of the company. You could argue he no longer gets his own features - but he entertains millions of kids with his club house and he's the face of some of the world's most envied holiday theme parks. To take this to another analogy:

Tata make Indian motors but they also make Jaguars and Land Rovers

BMW make the Mini but they still make the prestige Rolls Royce and their own cars

Daimler makes Mercedes and Smart cars. As directly opposite as I can imagine.

Fiat make everything from little Fiat 500s to Alfa Romeo, Ferrari, Maserati and Chrysler

Nintendo employs and is operated by video game developers who love the ethos of building good games. If I'm worried about anything - continued great software is not it for me at all.

Cautiously optimistic...the biggest fear for me is having to buy a good smartphone to play any games that look interesting haha.

Part of me wonders if this will ultimately amount to nothing worthwhile and by the end of the year things will be more or less the same as it is now, just with a few minor games on the IOS.

I'm willing to bet that any games they make available on smartphones will also be available on whatever their next handheld is (Or this NX thing, whatever that is). With their talk of a unified ecosystem behind all this, I think a big part of this strategy will be hooking people on mobile games, and pulling them into more dedicating gaming experiences. With that in mind, I'm think their ideal scenario is "Players buy mobile Nintendo games, learns about IPs and things we make, is enticed to buy our handheld." So this thought makes me think that the handheld will be compatible with all the mobile games as well. Otherwise, there is less incentive for mobile players to move on to the handheld market.

Wow, just reading all this. Huge step forward for Nintendo. Seems more like a merger than a partnership. I think both companies can benefit from another very efficiently. I think this will boost Nintendo's hardware business.

I agree. The future is bright and sunny. I just hope the games will come soon.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I think this is great, and long overdue news.

Nintendo's strength is their franchises and ability to make simple games people love to play. This allows them to open another stream of revenue that makes it easier for them to weather failures like the Wii U that are inevitable in the hardware industry.

It's not going to mean less software for their core fans. They'll likely just farm out their characters and franchises to experienced mobile game development teams within DeNA to handle that. It's not like Miyamoto et al. are suddlenly going to start making mobile games and stop making games for Nintendo's portable and console (assuming they keep both with the NX on).

They have some games already that would work well--touch screen stuff like Planet Puzzle League (or whatever version of Tetris Attack), Pokemon Shuffle, Pokemon Battle Trozei that would be great on phones/tablets. And there's an endless array of mini game type stuff they can do with their characters that should sell tons to kids and nostalgic fans who no longer buy gaming hardware but play some on their phones who will jump on this as they grew up with Mario etc.

What is key IMO is the development of a robust unified account system. The future in videogames is services.

With a robust account Nintendo can deliver content to any hardware in the future. New dedicated portable? New console? New vc box?

Even beyond mobile. We don't know what the future will bring. Smart TVs take over? Nintendo phone? Tablets? Cloud gaming?

The key is the account.

And this too. Services are coming. And Nintendo is in a great position here, if they get moving fairly quickly, as they have their VC catalog which should be pretty easy to convert into a service. If Sony can stream PS3 games that run well, no reason Nintendo can't do it with their back catalog as everything prior to Wii U is weaker hardware than PS3.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Hasn't really fluctuated at all (going straight upwards isn't really what I'd call fluctuating, anyway), it was just on an upswing. Now its going back down to nominal levels and will stabilize. There's still a lot of uncertainty in the company and we won't see real strength come to their shares until these endeavors start to pan out more.

I don't follow stocks too closely, but that's basically what I meant. It went up nearly 30% (highest I saw was 18.50) compared to its closing value yesterday, and it did this in 2 hours. Maybe that was just Wall Street waking up to the news?

I play around on the market and bought NTDOY a while back just for fun. My position has finally improved, haha.

That's normal though. Over a longer period of time I expect it will go up on an upward trend. Not Wii/DS highs, but certainly much better than they've been doing the past year or so.

I agree. Wish I had an easy way to buy NTDOY stock

Wiz

Nintendo will become the next Disney and this is a good first step. Get their characters out there to the biggest possible audience and make bank off them.

Vena

That's normal though. Over a longer period of time I expect it will go up on an upward trend. Not Wii/DS highs, but certainly much better than they've been doing the past year or so.

Not until the projects actually start materializing, but I'd buy up NTDOY before the next earnings report as I expect it to be strong and come with more news on mobile. Then we should start seeing a more stable growth trajectory.

I don't follow stocks too closely, but that's basically what I meant. It went up nearly 30% (highest I saw was 18.50) compared to its closing value yesterday, and it did this in 2 hours. Maybe that was just Wall Street waking up to the news?

Market opened to a frenzy of news, so it was expected to soar on said news (natural occurrence, which is why I don't think of it as fluctuation). After the "hype" wears off, the stock will settle back down to lower values but higher than the opening values.

As far as I'm aware, no. They don't allow alternate storefronts or anything akin to that.

As for dena/mobage I'm not sure what you're talking about. They don't have a platform like that. There isn't a mobage app. Dena is a publisher/server provider and mobage is a developer .

DeNA is more akin to a 3rd party launcher.

The Amazon app store is a side-loaded program for Android, it doesn't run through Google Play at all.

Similarly, the Kindle store doesn't run through Google Play.

I agree. Wish I had an easy way to buy NTDOY stock

You in the USA? Scottrade.

GDGF

Soothsayer

The key is the account.

Yep this is true, and this deal is in Nintendo's best interests.

Still wanna hug my 3DS & Wii U though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg9_Lx2AWaE

I was going to say hasn't Nintendo been doing mobile for a while? But when I came to think about it, I couldn't name a single mobile game. Mobile gaming has just been so big that I assumed that they already did it like a bunch of other companies out here.

I'm perfectly fine with it since it sounds like it'll be through a new studio and as long as they don't go the Square Enix route and still provide us with plenty of console games and don't do big countdowns just for the reveal to be a mobile game.

Though, this is pretty damning for the future of Nintendo handhelds.

I guess that's the big fear, but I find myself not caring all that much anymore. I do not play games on my phone or tablet. I've given it a fair shake and I just don't enjoy it. Increasingly, however, I'm not playing dedicated handhelds much either. I play my Vita and 3DS once a week (usually on the day their stores update) and, barring a vacation, that's about it. I've got a huge backlog on both. The games are good, no doubt, but I just find the experience of using a handheld increasingly uncomfortable. When I decide to play these platforms it's a little like a chore. The only reason I do it is for the exclusive software, but I think I'm finally reaching the point where that's not enough to make me push on with them. So, I say let Nintendo do what it takes to make money in this regard. I probably won't play these games much but I can accept the eventual death of the dedicated handheld if it will allow them to continue making some kind of TV-based games into the future. The only thing that would really devastate me is if Nintendo went mobile-only at some point.

NateDrake

Next thing you know, Nintendo will introduce a proper online gaming system where your games are tied to your account! :)

They have that now. The problem is you can't deactivate the account at your own will and activate it on a new device without contacting Nintendo and jumping through some hoops.

On topic: This deal sounds like a well-thought out and smart move for both companies. Nintendo said they won't port games to smart devices and will only create original new games, so there shouldn't be too much overlap between console, portable, and the mobile market software wise. Games like NES Remix and Dr. Mario/Luigi would do well on the smart phones given they are designed for quick play. Hell, maybe Advance Wars could return on smart devices.

vareon

What if this spawns the worst of both worlds? Region-locked F2P gacha games where you have to call customer support to restore your account if you change phones!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, we're probably getting a Nintendo Direct tommorow, right? I wonder if they'll talk more about this there for the lay-people, maybe even show off some games?

jblank83

Games are already tied to your account, which is why you can call in and get your account transferred to a new system and redownload your games.

The problem is that it is still also tied to hardware and there is no automated process unlink and link to new hardware. It still requires someone on Nintendo's side to unlink IDs and whatnot.

It's not "proper", but the rudiments are already there.

HAHAHAHA

dat crow

I give it about two more console generations before they finally go full mobile.

At least they're starting to get with the times but knowing Nintendo they'll still find a bunch of ways to fuck this up for themselves. It's the Nintendo way.

Oersted

HAHAHAHA

dat crow

I give it about two more console generations before they finally go full mobile.

At least they're starting to get with the times but knowing Nintendo they'll still find a bunch of ways to fuck this up for themselves. It's the Nintendo way.

What are you even talking about? They said last year they are interested to release games with their IPs, the only thing that changed, is now we know how.

Gambit

11.8$ -> 10000+ shares.

:p

lucky you! I bought Nintendo shares before the 3DS released and the Tsunami hit. Worst investment I've made so far. If Nintendo even got back up to what I paid back then, I'd sell right away.

HAHAHAHA

dat crow

great. that gives you about ten years of repeating yourself. Eventually you might be able to say "told you so". Seems a very smart way to spend your time.

MilesTeg

Banned
This can only be good. Nintendo's brands need more recognition and with both their home console and handheld appearing to be the lowest selling to date respectively, they have to do something.

That being said, I don't believe there is no room for growth on Nintendo hardware. The 3DS and Wii U both have problems hardware and software wise; they are Nintendo's most expensive products released to date on the market and they are underpowered, and both (especially Wii U) suffered horrendous software droughts at their release which hurt long term sales significantly.

Nintendo simply needs to release more affordable hardware with better software support. The shared architecture between the two should help with this.

Handhelds are still very popular in Japan and Nintendo won't be willing to give up their main revenue stream. I don't think this is bad for Nintendo's handheld business, in fact any mobile games created will likely make their way to Nintendo's future handheld. It also will help them better advertise their products.

Moving forward Nintendo now has:

Handheld
Console
Mobile
amiibo
QOL

And in my opinion Nintendo's handheld/console business can only go up because 3DS and Wii U just are not good enough products from a hardware, software, and marketing standpoint. Guess what I'm saying is that it will be tough for Nintendo to release worse products than 3DS/Wii U in the future, so I'm optimistic there is room for growth, especially with the shared architecture proposition.

Dubz

How could they not make this move? Nintendo is a company known for superior IP's, especially on handhelds. This is going to be huge for them, and that only means they will survive and continue to make great games. I for one am happy about this.

Top Bottom