• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Reveals Revolution-ary Feature

Rhindle

Nintendo Revolution will connect to a PC monitor as well as a television set!!

This was revealed at a press conference today.

Plus the usual stuff about being totally different and not a successor to the current console.

They also announced that they would like to buy more Bandai shares.

http://www.gamefront.de/

Mairu

PC monitor?

DVI or VGA?

Or BOTH?!

Either way, at least it seems they aren't skimping on video quality and this means hopefully they'll be encouraging all forms of progressive scan

cja

Looks like the peripheral is coming out late 2004 for the Japanese holidays. At least we know why Mario Party was a no show at E3. Stage Debut and others as well?

john tv

Hmm, the EyeToy bit at least would make a lot of sense. That would explain why MP6 was a no-show at E3, and the recent camera trademarks...

GDGF

Soothsayer
I'm wondering if the NDS will connect to a PC monitor or a PC. The former would be great for video freaks, and the latter would be great for those who demand online play and a hardrive. The vast majority of people craving online play on their consoles probably play online on their PCs. It would be a nice way to handle the online situation.

And about the successor thing. This is the new hotness of Nintendo gaming consoles, but they're trying to get across the fact that it will be unlike Nintendo consoles of the past in certain aspects. Hence the name Revolution.

thorns

Banned
:rolleyes

The%20VGA%20Adapter.jpg

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
PC monitor connectivity indicates two things: DVI/HDMI out and that Nintendo intends to support HD resolutions. Hardly earth shattering but nice to know.

Izzy

Banned
PC monitor connectivity indicates two things: DVI/HDMI out and that Nintendo intends to support HD resolutions. Hardly earth shattering but nice to know

That would be lovely, but I woudn't hold my breath for anything other than VGA out.

Which would still be awesome for us Euros.

cybamerc

Izzy:

> That would be lovely, but I woudn't hold my breath for anything other than VGA out.

VGA is absolete and already there are more flat panels sold than CRTs. Most manufacturers have already started phasing out the production of CRTs. Imagine the situation two years from now.

Plus, HD tv sets will also support DVI/HDMI. It would make no sense to support VGA.

Izzy

Banned
cybamerc said:
Izzy:

> That would be lovely, but I woudn't hold my breath for anything other than VGA out.

VGA is absolete and already there are more flat panels sold than CRTs. Most manufacturers have already started phasing out the production of CRTs. Imagine the situation two years from now.

Plus, HD tv sets will also support DVI/HDMI. It would make no sense to support VGA.

I surely hope so. HDTV is a mess in Europe, though.

john tv said:
Hmm, the EyeToy bit at least would make a lot of sense. That would explain why MP6 was a no-show at E3, and the recent camera trademarks...

True, but then again, Mario Party is all about simultaneous multiplayer battles. How could you really pull that off with one camera? Cram everyone in front of the TV at once?

Could "without a controller" just mean that it can be played with 4 GBAs? Some kind of connectivity deal?

cybamerc

Izzy said:
I surely hope so. HDTV is a mess in Europe, though.
Don't confuse HDTV with HD screens. There are plenty of HD flat panels out in Europe which are technically not HDTVs because they lack the appropriate tuner.

Grubdog

Banned
bobbyconover said:
Could "without a controller" just mean that it can be played with 4 GBAs? Some kind of connectivity deal?
No. That would be even harder for people who feel "controllers are hard to deal with".

This is very interesting, this new Mario Party game could be huge... or it could be a lame gimmick...

cja

famitsu.com have trounced everyone else with their coverage of this strategy conference. Q&A session and Iwata outlining three (technology, networks, children) key misconceptions about his company are up.

DVI definetly makes the most since. While I personally prefer CRT monitors to LCD, a ton of the HDTVs have DVI inputs. Why not support something that's gonna be pretty standard by Revolution's release.

Grubdog said:
No. That would be even harder for people who feel "controllers are hard to deal with".

This is very interesting, this new Mario Party game could be huge... or it could be a lame gimmick...

What about connectivity with the DS and Gamecube - 4-tablet/voice recognition gameplay? Has any mention even been made of possible DS-GC connectivity yet? Iwata does say in the Q&A on Famitsu.com that the touch screen and voice recognition are intuitive to everyone from 4-year-olds to senior citizens, and the new Mario Party game is only being 'introduced' this fall. Maybe it'll be released at DS launch?

hirokazu

DVI is a great idea, i hope they have 720p standard in all games, with higher resolutions optional.

Mario Party 6 with no controllers - sounds interesting, though i've never owned a Mario Party title and probably never will.

cybamerc

Does anybody feel like translating the Famitsu articles? Babelfish doesn't quite do it for me.

epmode

hooray! ever since the dreamcast, i've been a huge fan of console vga support.. now i won't need to hook up the system to my adapter.

Obviously, there has to be more to this bit of news than just offering up secondary monitor video output...which isn't such a big deal, IMO. After all, PS3 and X2 will more than likely offer up DVI output as well. As for a no-hands Mario Party, I'm not so surprised. Sounds like they'll utilize their own Eye Toy-like setup.

Tritroid

This doesn't mean much to me since I plan to hook up Revolution to my Progressive Scan...unless the thing is so 'revolutionary' that for some reason I won't be able to do that. @_@

It's good to see Nintendo actually caring about video quality however after they stopped manufacturing Gamecubes with component in Japan.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
MightyHedgehog said:
Obviously, there has to be more to this bit of news than just offering up secondary monitor video output...which isn't such a big deal, IMO. After all, PS3 and X2 will more than likely offer up DVI output as well. As for a no-hands Mario Party, I'm not so surprised. Sounds like they'll utilize their own Eye Toy-like setup.

How about a dual or triple head monitor support ?

Two or Three RAMDAC chips to provide simultaneous output on more than one monitor ?

GCN DS :D.

I think I just scored :D.

kamikaze

gaming on pc monitor...meh, been there done that. as for playing games without a controller? does that mean when i yell at my stupid ai teammates, they'll actually do what i say!?! ;)

curious how an eyetoy/ddr input thing would work for mario party...might actually make me pick up a new mario party game if it's fun enough.

hirokazu

Panajev2001a said:
How about a dual or triple head monitor support ?

Two or Three RAMDAC chips to provide simultaneous output on more than one monitor ?

GCN DS :D.

I think I just scored :D.

that sounds like a good idea, actually, better than 2 consoles + 2 TVs + LAN like what they did for the what, 3 GC games that supported it... :p

ge-man

One of my biggest disappointments in gaming post Dreamcast was the lack of monitor support out of the box. I'm glad it's happening now, even if the console makers are kinda being forced to out of the adoption of DVI as a major connection.

As for the Mario Party thing--this should be interesting. There was a couple of boards yesterday posting a Cube-Europe query in which the website claimed that RE 4 would support the new peripheral. I'm not sure if these guys are in the know or if they are pulling a Spong, but if true it seems more and more likely that this a motion control device. I doubt that it's camera, but maybe that gyroscope tech is finally coming to some use.

Gunsmoke said:
I wonder what the frame rate will be like when displaying on 2 screens.

Will I/Can I get smooth 60 frames on both screens.
Will this put a heavier load on the system so that when this mode
is activated the game runs with less frames or less detail ?

ala FZERO GX multiplayer split screen.

You know what I mean. Will get the real deal or will games
need to be watered down for use with 2 screens.

They'll just butcher the main mode so you don't notice in multiplayer.

Oh yea, and this whole "It's not successororor" marketing bs is just a way to seperate themselves from Sony and PS3. Frankly I kinda like it, as I'm already completely unenthusiastic about having to buy a new console for prettier graphics. Not that Nintendo has proven theirs is actually different, but it's nice of them to try.

Mr Gump said:
Does this give 480p on a monitor and where can i get one?

You realize the one pictured is for PS2, right? And it's the one that comes with the Linux kit I believe (it's not sold seperately otherwise), and no it wont give you 480p in all games (it might work with the ones that support progressive scan, not sure).

If you want a true 480p VGA cable for Gamecube, it's about $50 + international shipping... I got mine from www.goldenshop.com

DrLazy

I agree with a couple of post above about DS involvement with the new Mario Party, except I think this could just be a new Mario Party game for DS. Wouldn't make sense with one coming to the GBA too?

Wouldn't that make sense since a stylus is technically not a controller? There's been lots of drawing games and such for the Mario Party series in the past, and I could see many of the games working with the stylus.

Grubdog

Banned
Um, yeah, except

"Nintendo said it plans to introduce for its GameCube console a new version of "Mario Party"

And using DS's to play the GameCube Mario Party would mean for multiplayer everyone would need a DS which would be like twice as expensive as connectivity as it already is. I doubt the DS has anything to do with this.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Nintendo wouldn't muck up Mario Party -- a huge franchise for them that posts big numbers without a lot of dev. time and money -- by including such a steep requirement as mandatory DS connectivity, or even GBA connectivity. The peripherial that they're talking about is likely very reasonable in price, and might even come bundled with the game.

DrLazy

Nintendo wouldn't muck up Mario Party -- a huge franchise for them that posts big numbers without a lot of dev. time and money

They wouldn't? Even casuals are starting to get sick of the formula. I think if any franchise in the Nintendo catalogue needs to be shook up, its Mario Party.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
DrLazy said:
They wouldn't? Even casuals are starting to get sick of the formula. I think if any franchise in the Nintendo catalogue needs to be shook up, its Mario Party.
Well, for one thing, they ARE shaking it up in the form of this new peripheral, whatever it is. My point was just that they wouldn't make it inaccessable in the form of a hyper-expensive DS or GBA connectivity requirement.

Also, I don't know where you're getting "casuals are starting to get sick of the formula". The latest installment has sold very well.

DrLazy

Also, I don't know where you're getting "casuals are starting to get sick of the formula". The latest installment has sold very well.

I guess thats just been my personal expierence. It still makes a damn fine drinking game though.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
So this is what Iwata meant when making statements that "Revolution" wouldn't interface with a TV in the traditional fashion?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
maybe itl hook up to an apple computer. the birth of gaming on apple systems!!!1111

Top Bottom