• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Reveals Revolution-ary Feature

sp0rsk said:
maybe itl hook up to an apple computer. the birth of gaming on apple systems!!!1111

On a serious side, if Nintendo and Apple worked together on a console it would be genius. Apple's power + Nintendo's hardware knowhow and controller design + Apple's design deparment = WIN.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
StrikerObi said:
On a serious side, if Nintendo and Apple worked together on a console it would be genius. Apple's power + Nintendo's hardware knowhow and controller design + Apple's design deparment = WIN.

this is true.

cja said:
famitsu.com have trounced everyone else with their coverage of this strategy conference. Q&A session and Iwata outlining three (technology, networks, children) key misconceptions about his company are up.

Has anyone traslated it yet?

DrLazy said:
They wouldn't? Even casuals are starting to get sick of the formula. I think if any franchise in the Nintendo catalogue needs to be shook up, its Mario Party.

I don't know if I'd say casuals are sick of the formula yet. According to Magic-Box, Mario Party 5 had sold 500,000 copies by the end of 2003, which sure aint bad considering that it came out (if I remember correctly) in December. I seem to remember some pretty hot sales numbers for the US as well during the same period.

In fact, to a guy like myself who prefers the original game over the sequels, Nintendo/Hudson seem to be trying too hard to shake things up. All of the new rules and additions in each sequel just dilute the whole thing, good as they are in ways - the original game is still by far the best. Change is not good!

Also, I still think the DS connectivity idea is a possibility. Who's to say 4 DSes would be necessary? Maybe pictionary-style mini games would be possible with only a single DS, with all other players using normal controllers and one person drawing. Also, the quote says that the game "can be played" without a controller, not that it will be completely based around a new controller. I could easily see that being the case with a DS hookup. If you have one DS (or more), you can use the stylus to draw. If not, you can draw by moving a cursor around as if you were in a paint program - every Mario Party game has had at least one mini-game where you do this already. I seriously doubt they would change the entire game into some kind of eye-toy gyroscope dancing mess. More likely the DS or a similar peripheral will be optional to enhance certain aspects of the game.

The modest-hit appeal of Mario Party could definitely get people to start connecting, just as modest-hit Animal Crossing helped to push GBA connectivity. Then, later, perhaps bigger name games like Final Fantasy and Zelda will come along to get the remaining people in on the connectivity action. Doesn't seem so far-fetched to me, all things considered.

They've already said in interviews connectivity is not on the books for the DS at this stage. Couple that with the fact that Mario Party is launching this year and how incredibly stupid it would be to require something that isn't even launching till the end of the year. Talk about limiting your sales base.

Azih

Well Nintendo is certainly being different here. If both this and the DS fail then Nintendo is in deep kaka, if Nintendo succeeds wildly then gaming is going to look different in the future, and if both of these do ho hum business then nothing much will change at all.

Memles

If they bundle this peripheral with Mario Party 6 at no extra cost (Much like they are doing the DK Bongos) and it only requires one of them to play Multiplayer, I don't see how this could fail, especially in Japan. Plus, if the EyeToy's popularity can meld with the popularity of the Mario Party franchise, Nintendo has a brilliant strategy on their hands.

ravingloon said:
They've already said in interviews connectivity is not on the books for the DS at this stage. Couple that with the fact that Mario Party is launching this year and how incredibly stupid it would be to require something that isn't even launching till the end of the year. Talk about limiting your sales base.

I must've missed those interviews. As for the 'incredibly stupid' point, uh, isn't the special new mystery peripheral - whatever it is - likely not launching until the game comes out? The "limiting your sales base" thing will be an issue no matter what. Also, the article only said that MP6 is being introduced this year, not necessarily that it'll be going on sale.

I don't know. Call me crazy, but a DS tie-in sure seems more likely than some kind of wacky top-secret 4-player gyroscope/web cam technology.

Top Bottom