• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamesindustry.biz: PS5 had a 43% share of all console sales over the last 12 months (Nov 2022 to Oct 2023), but risen to 50% in the last 6 months

A lot of people want Microsoft relegated to as small a marketshare as possible. Largely because they are a massive corporation with a history of monopolistic practices. In other words, they fear Microsoft's ability to remove that healthy competition through sheer financial brute force.
They have literally spent $100 billion on game company acquisitions over the last 5 years. That is exactly what they have been doing, trying to remove healthy competition though sheer financial brute force. However Microsoft is finding out that you can't force gamers to play things they don't want to. So unless they actually buy the entire industry they cannot win through spending money alone.

Last edited:
Yes but it has more than 10 million “players”.

Great Success Win GIF

More seriously, these numbers show doom and gloom for Xbox and it’s not surprising at all with how Phil runs the show. It will only get worse and buying way too expensive publishers with portfolios of games that have had their best time only accelerates things.

Seems that you actually do need great games to sell consoles, who would’ve thought?

Only positive result of all this stuff for ms could be to just drop the console wars and go gamepass only and release on all consoles and platforms. (Personally I think it won’t be a great success because Gamepass became much worse over the years imho.)

Try and get Gamepass on PlayStation would be my guess

I think that's their goal with Gamepass.

It's their exit out of the console business and straight into a streaming service.
Sony and Nintendo won't let GamePass on their platforms. At best, they would allow an EA Play style approach. Where Microsoft could put their first-party games into a subscription model that could be purchased through PS Store (you'll notice that none of these subscriptions are on Nintendo's system). And paying attention to EA, they've split their model between EA Play and EA Play Pro, with new premium titles only available on EA Play Pro. This isn't going to work for Microsoft. They don't have a big enough catalog or enough new content. And this isn't GamePass anyway.

If PS5 get a 60% (or more) market share, whats MS will do? MS can't get that number of gamepass subscribers if the console market share don't improve.
I think this is why Sony is being so aggressive here with the pricing and the desire to get to 25 million units by the end of the fiscal year. They are targeting the markets that Microsoft is strongest in, in an attempt to starve them from new subscribers and new console sales. They know if they grow quickly enough, it's game over for Microsoft which would drastically increase their software and hardware sales in the future.

Looking very far out here, but I do wonder how many PS5 units GTA 6 will be able to push.

If the PS5 base drops to 400 dollars (with digital available for 350) and the PS5 Pro is 600 dollars, I could very easily see them selling 25-30 million units next year. I just don't think those will be the prices.

Starfield for PS5 would be a career defining moment indeed.

Starfield would have very limited success on PS5 at this point. The cats out of the bag that the game isn't very good.

Starfield got released, it shone brightly for two weeks and now its already mostly forgotten. It didn't make a dent in changing the Xbox' fortune for MS and sales must have been disappointing too compared to what Elder Scrolls or Fallout games did in the past. I don't see Starfield getting a sequel.

I think it'll get a sequel, because of how much money they've already dropped into it, the big question is whether that sequel is multiplatform or not.

Enjoy the % sales Sony before Ninty kneecaps it down to 30-40 range with Switch 2.

Very possible that Switch 2 will eat into market share, but it's possible that Switch 2 is a slow burner depending on price. I don't expect it will have the momentum of the current switch.

MS should hate-buy Valve, just pay $20bn for em.

Given their ownership of Windows, not sure this would be allowed by regulators. Maybe if they got out of the console industry.

Last edited:
All the FUD surrounding Sony was to obfuscate this simple reality: Sony is having one of the best years in its history while Microsoft is having one of the worst.
It has one of the best years for twitter, but neither analysts nor stakeholders agree with that. Hell, even Sony sacked their own SIE CEO despite all the successes. For console warriors, Sony is doing good though 🔥 :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Not sure why a decline is celebrated. Competition is always good for the consumer, not just one platform leaping ahead.

I'm a PC gamer myself, don't really care about locked off platforms. But as a example: just Xbox PC policy alone (and the uptick in PC sales) made Sony shift their output to produce PC ports as well, which is a smart choice with no downsides and a great thing all around for platform agnostic consumers.

I repeat: Healthy competition is good for everyone.

I don't think it was Microsoft's PC ports that made Sony switch, but the general growth of the PC Market and how so many of the publishers around the world are growing at a faster rate than them because they aren't on PC or Switch. At the end of the day, it makes more sense to be platform agnostic and allow people to play your content anywhere. Yeah, royalties are great in all, but that's not necessarily the best revenue driver.

midnightAI

It has one of the best years for twitter, but neither analysts nor stakeholders agree with that. Hell, even Sony sacked their own SIE CEO despite all the successes. For console warriors, Sony is doing good though 🔥 :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Huh? Their projections are for best sales year ever for the 2023 financial year at 25 million unit sales

Bernardougf

Gold Member
2024 is open to the taking since sony until now announced fucking nothing outside now delayed Gaas games ... but MS just cant deliver ... even in years Sony dosent have shit MS also cant be competitive ... but hey.. lets buy more studios and publishers.. this is the way

One of the best years for twitter? It's worth less than half of what it was when Elon bought it last year...

Was Jim Ryan fired? We don't know. If he was fired, why was he fired? We don't know, but generally speaking, when you're sacked you don't get a 6 month window to being fired.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Not sure why a decline is celebrated. Competition is always good for the consumer, not just one platform leaping ahead.

I'm a PC gamer myself, don't really care about locked off platforms. But as a example: just Xbox PC policy alone (and the uptick in PC sales) made Sony shift their output to produce PC ports as well, which is a smart choice with no downsides and a great thing all around for platform agnostic consumers.

Healthy competition should reward much more smaller companies and punish bigger companies harder when rewarding based on how good and competitive their products are.

Keeping everyone at the same level despite their size and efforts (especially weighed by their size) is how you slowly get tyrannical monopolies.

Elios83

This is your own fantasy land.
If Jim Ryan was fired he wouldn't stay in his place until March, they wouldn't have an interim CEO because they can't easily find someone as capable.

Total decimation, but why? 🤔. I mean, xbox objectively offers the best value in gaming, the Series S + GP is a no brainer. (everyone expects better, right?)

"But MS doesn't care about console sales"....Imagine selling a product/service that you don care making money of.....Why are you even bother then?

Is the Xbox brand really that fucked up? did 2022 (the year of no Xbox games) make that much of a massive damage?

Pivoting so aggressively to PC + the "supply constraints" are the real culprits?.

Then you have the recent Phil quote of "Everyone is Xbox"....I dunno man. even their financial report was kind of sus.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Xbox is falling farther behind, and is now the weakest part of the MS portfolio and actually holding back the rest of it. They need to strongly consider the possibility of killing Xbox and putting Game Pass and their games on PlayStation, while also focusing on PC which is growing.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Pop

Dick Jones

Gold Member
The Switch is organically declining as it's now going on 7 years old and it's already sold 130+ million units.

Nintendo, we're ready for that Super Switch in 2024!
You need to add a stupid name to the next Nintendo machine for your sanity. If you start saying "New Switch" or "Switch U" then when the poorly named handheld hybrid comes it hopefully 🤞 doesn't have a name as stupid as what I mentioned and we'll all be more okay with the weird name.

Last edited:

kaizenkko

2024 is open to the taking since sony until now announced fucking nothing outside now delayed Gaas games ... but MS just cant deliver ... even in years Sony dosent have shit MS also cant be competitive ... but hey.. lets buy more studios and publishers.. this is the way
What MS can do in terms of games at this point? Their best chance was Starfield, but itnot end being a mass hit like Elden Ring or Baldurs Gate 3, and besides it, which games MS can use as a marketing showcase?

People criticize Sony, but even in a "bad" year their manage to delivery Final Fantasy XVI and Spider-Man 2 exclusive to PS5, two of the best games of the year.

MS have a lot of games announce, but none of those will have the buzz of "a Naughty Dog game", or a Ghost of Tsushima 2, or even the already announce Death Stranding 2.

This is your own fantasy land.
If Jim Ryan was fired he wouldn't stay in his place until March, they wouldn't have an interim CEO because they can't easily find someone as capable.

Exactly, it's just as feasible that Jim said, I'm old, I'm tired, I'm well off, and I'm ready to call it a day.

He's 63 years old. To put that into context Kaz Hirai is 62 years old and Ken Kutaragi is 73 years old.

Jim Ryan did his 5 years, which is the average time for a CEO.

It's possible that they weren't super happy with him as well. There are certainly reasons for him to be fired (aside from gamers not liking his direction, which isn't going to change).

The big question is the future of SIE. Will they have a CEO who doesn't speak Japanese for the first time ever? Will they go with Eric Lempel who has been with Sony for 23 years? Will they bring in someone from the outside from the first time? Will they promote someone from one of Sony's other subsidiaries? Does Totoki do a major purchase of a company like T2 and put someone like Strauss Zelnick in charge?

Sales should be earned not given for healthy competition to happen.

Flutta

Banned
Sooooo, game pass on PlayStation when?

Don’t think that will ever happen. Maybe if MS manages to cornor Sony into submission like maybe buying up all western 3party pubs.

Or if MS exit the console markert all together and becomes a 3rd party pub.

Even then i’m not so sure, but who knows man.

Playstation is DOOMED /s

I've been seeing some wild takes on Twitter lately from some people highly invested in team green. These guys are totally out of touch with reality. Anyone who sees these numbers and trends lately and thinks Playstation is the one in trouble instead of Xbox needs to check into a mental institution. Xbox is in serious trouble and neither GamePass nor Starfield can save the brand. I can't see MS going the traditional console route next gen. They've thrown everything and the kitchen sink at Sony this gen with the Xbox Series consoles and they've come out even worse than they did last gen.

BlueLyria

Playstation is DOOMED /s

I've been seeing some wild takes on Twitter lately from some people highly invested in team green. These guys are totally out of touch with reality. Anyone who sees these numbers and trends lately and thinks Playstation is the one in trouble instead of Xbox needs to check into a mental institution. Xbox is in serious trouble and neither GamePass nor Starfield can save the brand. I can't see MS going the traditional console route next gen. They've thrown everything and the kitchen sink at Sony this gen with the Xbox Series consoles and they've come out even worse than they did last gen.
I don't see MS giving up before trying to make COD exclusive, if that doesn't work then maybe.

Shakka43

Microsoft's idea of competition isn't exactly what I would call healthy so is a little hard to feel sorry for them

100 billion on acquisitions just to end up leaving the console market. it’s deff possible but that would be the biggest blunder in Microsoft history.

I think Microsoft already made it clear what their next step is, I don’t necessarily think they are leaving the console
Market but they’re deff gonna go the hybrid route with their next console.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Enjoy the % sales Sony before Ninty kneecaps it down to 30-40 range with Switch 2.
Wait I thought the Switch was in competition with PS5, has that changed and the Switch is still running a race the PS4 finish years ago.
Sorry I can't Keep up with the back and forth of who Nintendo is in competition with depending on the other platforms sales 😏

I don't see MS giving up before trying to make COD exclusive, if that doesn't work then maybe.
They won't try to make COD exclusive. Firstly, it won't save Xbox and second it would do considerable damage to the COD brand and some other future shooter would just probably end up taking the mantle from them.

Big reason COD is massive is because it's a multiplatform game.

100 billion on acquisitions just to end up leaving the console market. it’s deff possible but that would be the biggest blunder in Microsoft history.

I think Microsoft already made it clear what their next step is, I don’t necessarily think they are leaving the console
yea, their next console needs to be a hybrid of some kind. They are getting killed in the traditional console market.

Last edited:

onQ123

The smartest thing for Xbox to do is what Nintendo did & that was not to go head to head with PlayStation & have something unique

BlueLyria

They won't try to make COD exclusive. Firstly, it won't save Xbox and second it would do considerable damage to the COD brand and some other future shooter would just probably end up taking the mantle from them.

Big reason COD is massive is because it's a multiplatform game.
I agree with you, but COD exclusivity would be their ultimate move that would either save Xbox or kill their gaming division. MS also got unlucky that they got the COD mantle on a mismanaged game and blame's unjustly falling upon them

diffusionx

Gold Member

how would it be the biggest blunder? they are a services company, something like gamepass fits into that while hardware does not. The only relevant question is how Xbox will drive growth in their services, and it cannot do that if it is not growing itself. It makes far more sense to put their service on the platforms that are growing. Same logic behind why I can get and use Office on Android and iOS.

Top Bottom