• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo shares plunge 6% by Monday close after trading as low as -18%

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Has good hardware margins *Iwata laughs*

How small should be the battery and how resistive the touchscreen to cover for that many pirated games?

Edit: you know that developing games costs money, right? Or you can end with games like Final Fantasy ports, that's true.

Nicktendo86

I think Nintendo is uniquely positioned to offer a compelling tablet device that people will want to own. No major videogame company has released and supported a gaming tablet. Attempts at gaming tablets have all been jokes from two bit companies.

Nintendo should offer a very competent tablet at a reasonable price (fair margin, no gouging like the $250 3DS, not saying it can't be 250, just that 3DS was ridiculous)

1. Have Android as the OS
2. Have eshop exclusive to Nintendo tablets
3. Have an air card of sorts that beams video to the TV
4. Support wire-less controllers and snap on contollers. Perhaps even having slide-out controller interfaces (I think it is crucial to offer a sleek looking device. So no buttons and controls visible by either excluding them or hiding them)

Its like, ok Christmas. Parents need to get their kids something. It used to be a Nintendo handheld with teh pokey-mans. No one wants handhelds anymore. OMG LOOK Pokey-mans on this really great Android tablet.

*Iwata laughs*

If it was such a no brainer, easy thing to do, why hasn't Sony tried this with thier Xperia tablets? The Vita has bombed, you say the 3DS is dying so the Vita much be what, a zombie? Seriously if a gaming tablet is such a great idea why hasn't Sony tried it? I really don't think it is such a good idea. Price, ability to pirate software and consumer confusion are three good enough reasons for me to say fuck that.

It's mostly due to the bigger picture.

In theory, yes that would be nice potentially.
In practice, they'd have to significantly downsize. Since they have downsized, morale would be low and output would be reduced.
They'd also no longer get any hardware income which actually accounts for a significant portion of their income.
Due to their income relying on their software, they'd no longer take risks. We'd end up with annualised Mario (Mario series isn't actually annualised, contrary to belief), Pokémon and the occasional Zelda. All smaller IPs would be completely gone.
Plus, if they go multiformat, their world renowned polish will go. Multiplatform games always have a difference in quality between formats. For it to continue, Nintendo would have to focus solely upon one console, which is not a smart thing to do if you only rely on your software for income.

Well if so, they're going to be disappointed. If they actually paid attention, Iwata stated that it wouldn't happen, but media etc. are misreporting things left, right and centre.

Are you serious ? It's all mario rehashes every couple of years.

Freeman

Banned
Its not even about Nintendo going out of business or deciding to go third party, its more about some bigger company acquiring Nintendo if their price drop too much.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Parents need to get their kids something.

and instead of getting them an iPhone/ipad you could get them this Nintendo Landlocked monstrosity!

This whole idea that people are at such a loss for things to buy their kids that they would in desperation turn to <turdproductbynintendo> really does show what a dire mess things are right now.

Re: Gaming Tablet -

what Nintendo should do is create one that has great 3rd party support, has next gen HD graphics and other apps like an ipad. Lots of amazing 1st party ga... .oh wait, I'm describing the WiiU.

Log4Girlz

If it was such a no brainer, easy thing to do, why hasn't Sony tried this with thier Xperia tablets? The Vita has bombed, you say the 3DS is dying so the Vita much be what, a zombie? Seriously if a gaming tablet is such a great idea why hasn't Sony tried it? I really don't think it is such a good idea. Price, ability to pirate software and consumer confusion are three good enough reasons for me to say fuck that.

So, because Sony hasn't released a gaming tablet then it must be a bad idea? Ok. So I guess Nintendo should do everything Sony does.

Alright Nintendo, let's hear about your plans for a $399 console with modern technology.

Nintendo has just a few choices right now. They can offer an expensive console product, aimed at the western market and compete directly with Sony and MS, or they release cheap hardware, which would appeal to casuals. The latter option, which seems like what Nintendo is aiming at given recent comments, is basically directly competing with tablets anyway.

Nintendo is already competing head to head with the mobile market, but with products which are not phones or tablets. This is what is killing them. People want phones or tablets. Not an underpowered console, and not some handheld. That market is dying. The 3DS has arm processors and was originally going to have Tegra. Does that tech sound familiar?

Nicktendo86

Oh ffs, this again? There have been 5 mainline 3D Mario games since 1996, each console has got ONE Mario Kart game, yes they do sports games etc but other than the Olympic ones they rarely bring out two version of a Mario themed game on one console. It is just such nonsense to say all Nintendo do it Mario rehashes.

Pikmin didn't sell great, it got a sequel on WiiU as fans wanted it and Miyamoto wanted to do it. The Wonderful 101 would not have been made if not bankrolled by Nintendo. Next Level Games were given three fucking years to work on a sequel to Luigi's Mansion, again just because Miyamoto wanted it done and a few fans wanted a new game. They may not bring out a new IP every year but they make games which we KNOW won't sell shitloads and the only reason they can afford to is because they make their own hardware. Look at what's happened to Sega!

what Nintendo should do is create one that has great 3rd party support, has next gen HD graphics and other apps like an ipad. Lots of amazing 1st party ga... .oh wait, I'm describing the WiiU.

You'Re describing what the Wii U could have been, had Nintendo executed properly. As it stands today, none of those things apply to Wii U.

Chindogg

Has this been linked yet?

http://blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/2014/01/20/nintendos-woes-dont-mean-game-over-for-its-consoles/

“The spread of smart devices does not spell the end of game consoles. It’s not that simple,” President Satoru Iwata said at a news conference Friday. The key is to figure out a way to use smartphones to make people aware of Nintendo’s games, and encourage them to try out the console version of the games, Mr. Iwata said.

“It doesn’t mean that we should put Mario on smartphones,” he said.

batbeg

I can't even tell when people are serious or not... Ignoring the fact that the Wii U hardware itself is probably the biggest, riskiest investment ever made by a major console manufacturer, do you really think the risks of games like Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, Sin and Punishment 2, Xenoblade, Wii Fit, Wii Music, etc etc are completely undone every time a new Mario game comes out? Nintendo release tons of titles that aren't likely to ignite the sales charts, no less so than Sony (and much more so than Microsoft). They're hardly a "safe" publisher, they just happen to have safe staples in their IP library, and any company would kill to have that recognition
before driving it into the fucking ground and making people realize how sporadically Nintendo actually cashed in on these titles.

Sadist

And the fun thing is, everything that has been discussed here won't happen on the 30th.

Nintendo will announce Game & Watch iOS-style compagnion apps, Miiverse and Nintendo Direct apps.

Investors sort of happy, because one of the G&W games has Mario.

The mobile market - phone or tablet - is an extremely bloody ocean though.

Nintendo needs to focus on its core competency, and look for the blue oceans that are emerging or will emerge soon around that.

VR VR VR ;)

VR won't remain a blue ocean for long, and most of the potential competitors would be much better suited to pioneering VR than Nintendo, at least on the hardware/technological front.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

It's been reported. But it's an extremely boring idea. Companion marketing apps for console games aren't a new thing and will have limited impact IMO. People will try and are far more likely to simply switch over to the next mobile game ten minutes later than go out and spend 60 quid (+ cost of the hw initially!) on the console game.

I hope that's not the extent of their new business strategy.

wsippel

Banned
How do gamers not benefit?
Because a lot of IPs would be abandoned and the quality of the remaining titles would suffer. Right now, Nintendo develops system sellers. They'd have neither the motivation nor any reason to continue that model as a 3rd party.

JoeM86

It's been reported. But it's an extremely boring idea. Companion marketing apps for console games aren't a new thing and will have limited impact IMO. People will try and are far more likely to simply switch over to the next mobile game ten minutes later than go out and spend 60 quid (+ cost of the hw initially!) on the console game.

I hope that's not the extent of their new business strategy.

I don't think so. Read what Iwata said on Friday and it started off focusing on pricing.

The new business strategy seems to me that we'll have other ways in addition to purchasing a game outright. Rentals, subscriptions etc.

Basically, I think Wii Sports Club was a tester of their plans and it will continue like that.

Want to try a game? 99p for a 24 hour go on it. Things like that. Perhaps a subscription service for the Virtual Console, and maybe even a contract purchase of the console.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
VR won't remain a blue ocean for long, and most of the potential competitors would be much better suited to pioneering VR than Nintendo, at least on the hardware/technological front.

Nintendo can come up with nifty solutions though. The Wii-mote, for its time, for example.

And their game development expertise, their experience in applying new control approaches in exemplary ways (the analog stick, motion control)... it would be perfect for fleshing out the rules of VR games.

And they can claim pedigree, in the sense that they claim its something they've always wanted to do and 'now we can'.

TBH, it would be shocking to me if Nintendo never dabbled in VR given the kinds of technologies they have explored in the past. And IF they're going to, I think they should get in on the ground floor - now - rather than let it become another thing that turns into red waters.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I'm really not looking forward to a touch-only, F2P Nintendo future. Sure, there are gaming tablets (Archos, JXD, etc), and Bluetooth gamepads/cradles, but those are still niche products.

I don't think their dedicated gaming handhelds are going away to be honest.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I don't think so. Read what Iwata said on Friday and it started off focusing on pricing.

The new business strategy seems to me that we'll have other ways in addition to purchasing a game outright. Rentals, subscriptions etc.

Basically, I think Wii Sports Club was a tester of their plans and it will continue like that.

Want to try a game? 99p for a 24 hour go on it. Things like that.

I think it's a good idea, but the way to deliver that without a big upfront hardware investment on the part of the consumer suggests something like cloud delivery...which Iwata has been sceptical of.

But if they have turned on this and figure they can do it, then yeah, I'd love to see them do it. I could easily see folks paying a dollar or two to let kids play Mario for an hour on the ipad. And those dollars or two could add up over time if the kids keep coming back...

Wanna own the game and avoid 'renting'? Go buy 3DS and the game.

Nicktendo86

So, because Sony hasn't released a gaming tablet then it must be a bad idea? Ok. So I guess Nintendo should do everything Sony does.

Alright Nintendo, let's hear about your plans for a $399 console with modern technology.

Nintendo has just a few choices right now. They can offer an expensive console product, aimed at the western market and compete directly with Sony and MS, or they release cheap hardware, which would appeal to casuals. The latter option, which seems like what Nintendo is aiming at given recent comments, is basically directly competing with tablets anyway.

Nintendo is already competing head to head with the mobile market, but with products which are not phones or tablets. This is what is killing them. People want phones or tablets. Not an underpowered console, and not some handheld. That market is dying. The 3DS has arm processors and was originally going to have Tegra. Does that tech sound familiar?

The point I was trying to make is that as Sony hasn't tried to make a gaming tablet, even though that are in a MUCH better position to do so (they are part of the OHA, they have supply chain contacts, already make Android tablets etc) then maybe it won't be such a good idea for Nintendo either.

What would they do about piracy? I suppose you could say if they only release their games on their tablets with their own store they could implement some DRM or something, but I think that would get hacked pretty quickly.

What about price? It would have to be attractive enough to get people's attention but also affordable, how would that work? Again they have no supply chain contacts in making a high spec device like a modern tablet, they would have to pay through the nose and that would push up the price.

What about consumer confusion? To combat piracy they would have to just have games on their tablet and not the play store, but a key benefit of android is that you can download anything from the store to any android device, people would still expect that they could buy a Nexus 7 for example and play the Nintendo games as they saw someone playing a Pokemon on the Nintendo tab. Consumers are idiots, a lot of people think ipads are the name of all tablets, I think it would be a mess.

I see where you are coming from, the handheld space has declined and tablets are going up and up so Nintendo should make a tablet. But it is not as simple as that, I really feel it would be a disaster if they tried to go along the path you propose...

JoeM86

I think it's a good idea, but the way to deliver that without a big upfront hardware investment on the part of the consumer suggests something like cloud delivery...which Iwata has been sceptical of.

But if they have turned on this and figure they can do it, then yeah, I'd love to see them do it. I could easily see folks paying a dollar or two to let kids play Mario for an hour on the ipad. And those dollars or two could add up over time if the kids keep coming back...

Well it won't be on the iPad, but yeah it could work out very well and be very profitable. They can still do renting on consoles, as seen with Wii Karaoke and Wii Sports Club.

I guess they'll do whatever they have to in order to sustain the business, but hoping with a vengeance that doesn't entail joining the awful train of touch controlled F2P shit that is a blight on the hobby. I don't even mind if that's not your opinion of it, but it's not the way I want something that occupies my time to go, personally. Hopefully there are enough that feel the same to keep this company going.

wsippel

Banned
Which is why I expect Nintendo's next systems to be dirt cheap, probably built using (modified) off-the-shelf mobile components.

It's weird to me how celebratory these threads seem to be considering even in the Gaf GOTY 2013 Nintendo was the publisher with the most nominated games.

So much hatred for not pursuing suicidal business strategies that would put any company not backed by a giant corporation out of business?

Ah well. Stock decrease right now is less surprising than the recent increase.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
A phone made by Nintendo?! Jesus Christ - why the fuck would you want that given their track record?!

I'd half expect it to be two paper cups and a piece of wire :/

Close enough - http://blog.beforemario.com/2011/06/nintendo-light-telephone-lt-1971.html
Light_Telephone_01.JPG

Log4Girlz

The point I was trying to make is that as Sony hasn't tried to make a gaming tablet, even though that are in a MUCH better position to do so (they are part of the OHA, they have supply chain contacts, already make Android tablets etc) then maybe it won't be such a good idea for Nintendo either.

What would they do about piracy? I suppose you could say if they only release their games on their tablets with their own store they could implement some DRM or something, but I think that would get hacked pretty quickly.

What about price? It would have to be attractive enough to get people's attention but also affordable, how would that work? Again they have no supply chain contacts in making a high spec device like a modern tablet, they would have to pay through the nose and that would push up the price.

What about consumer confusion? To combat piracy they would have to just have games on their tablet and not the play store, but a key benefit of android is that you can download anything from the store to any android device, people would still expect that they could buy a Nexus 7 for example and play the Nintendo games as they saw someone playing a Pokemon on the Nintendo tab. Consumers are idiots, a lot of people think ipads are the name of all tablets, I think it would be a mess.

I see where you are coming from, the handheld space has declined and tablets are going up and up so Nintendo should make a tablet. But it is not as simple as that, I really feel it would be a disaster if they tried to go along the path you propose...

Nintendo can either make a tablet or prepare to leave the hardware market. Perhaps, perhaps they have 1 more generation of reasonably successful handhelds and maybe one more good console (it would have to be very, very cheap) before the true implosion happens. Fighting the hard fight to get a healthy chunk of the tablet market is worthwhile.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I suspect it's too late but a DS Micro might have been an idea - you know, with no card slot but with a slim form factor and built in memory and a true VC/Downloadable system at IPhone style prices

The DS is still popular and still has the name recognition - just make sure you have all NES/SNES titles available along with wide reaching DS games at -reasonable- prices. That library isn't making you any money so even "ios" prices would be at least some income.

Then again - this is what I thought "Nintendo Café" was going to be about - an all in one service where it was , basically, Nintendo ITunes but for games - but that seems to be beyond what they want to do. Hell, just make it platform agnostic and let anyone run the service. Ios users don't care about the crappy controls? fine - they can still buy in - 3DS users get a superior version and there's an "upgrade path"

Nintendo can either make a tablet or prepare to leave the hardware market. Perhaps, perhaps they have 1 more generation of reasonably successful handhelds and maybe one more good console (it would have to be very, very cheap) before the true implosion happens. Fighting the hard fight to get a healthy chunk of the tablet market is worthwhile.

I would agree with your tablet proposition, except for one significant thing: Android is extremely easy to hack, which will lead to piracy. There is no amount of DRM that will prevent this.

Brickhunt

I agree that whatever comes from this business's strategy change, it won't have immediate effects.

The priority is to salvage the Wii, stop it from bleeding money. The closest course of action I can think of is the relaunch of the Wii U under another name and without the GamePad, in order to save cost. Unless this has been already under planning ever since the last year, I can't see this happening until the end of the year.

For the long term, I can see their next handheld being a portable/phone hybrid so they can enter the smartphone market without seceding to develop for Android and iOS. I do think they have a fair shot at this market.

For their next console, I don't know what kind of strategy they can take. I do know some things:
- It may have a gimmick, but it can't afford to be something on the level of the GamePad. it needs to be cost friendly. I say invest on Wiimote 2, someone threw in some thread the concept of a perfectly hybrid of a pro-controller/Wiimote. That can do everything that a traditional controller and the Wiimote could.

- They need to stop developing hardware thinking on themselves and start thinking on 3rd parties, regardless of it's strength, it needs to be, at least, viable for crossplatform porting. Other-wise, they can kiss good bye to any hope of 3rd party support.

Nicktendo86

I sort of agree with you, something has to give. The console market has hardly been massively profitable for the other two either, but I honestly have no clue what Nintendo should do. If they actually tried to court third parties, named the console something less confusing, didn't have a funky controller than I reckon they could get back a lot of marketshare... or maybe not. I really don't know. Interesting times ahead anyway!

bluehat9

Am I crazy to think that Nintendo could have still stemmed some of this by doing some stupidly simple stuff with WiiU? Like not naming it WiiU and not having the new system look almost identical physically to the old one? They really lost Holiday 2012 because of that I think, no one knew it was a new system and Nintendo didn't show it was (it also didn't help that they refused to change the look of mario, sticking with the "new" aesthetic and Pikmin went from launch to launch window to the middle of next summer) And then the tide stayed against them, especially with ps4 and xbone news ramping up.

I honestly don't know what they can do now. WiiU is a failure that will not recover. 3DS is I guess doing ok now, but the DS it isn't. Even some of the games they are coming up with I think look boring or plain bad. I want to say shuffle management, but they'd have to bring in people from outside and I don't think they'll do that.

Banned
I might be playing a Zelda or Mario game on my PS4? I was thinking for sure PS5 but this is happening faster then I anticipated :p

wsippel

Banned
I would agree with your tablet proposition, except for one significant thing: Android is extremely easy to hack, which will lead to piracy. There is no amount of DRM that will prevent this.
They wouldn't use Android in the first place, they'd use something like Firefox OS, Nintendo Web Framework on top of a proprietary OS.

I don't understand why it would need to run Android. Why can't they make their own, proprietary OS that's optimised for games and more secure, like the Vita OS? With the right policies, the necessary apps will come. I don't think they're losing a whole lot by not having access to the Google Play 'ecosystem'.

Coolwhip

Banned
I might be playing a Zelda or Mario game on my PS4? I was thinking for sure PS5 but this is happening faster then I anticipated :p

You better stop thinking if that is the result. But really, of course not...

We're looking at the end of an era with Nintendo in it's current situation. Or, with some luck a new beginning.

Let's hope for the sake of traditional gaming Nintendo comes out of this well, or we will be looking at sales charts like this for the next 10 years:

01 (01) PS4 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
02 (04) PS4 KILLZONE: SHADOW FALL (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
03 (07) 360 MINECRAFT: XBOX 360 EDITION (MICROSOFT)
04 (06) 360 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
05 (05) PS4 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
06 (10) XBO FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
07 (08) PS4 BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
08 (12) PS3 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
09 (02) 360 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
10 (09) 360 ASSASSIN'S CREED IV: BLACK FLAG (UBISOFT)
11 (14) PS4 ASSASSIN'S CREED IV: BLACK FLAG (UBISOFT)
12 (13) XBO BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
13 (03) 360 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)
14 (15) XBO FORZA MOTORSPORT 5 (MICROSOFT)
15 (19) PC FOOTBALL MANAGER 2014 (SEGA)
16 (17) 360 BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
17 (24) 360 LEGO MARVEL SUPER HEROES (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
18 (20) XBO CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
19 (23) PS4 LEGO MARVEL SUPER HEROES (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
20 (26) 360 ALIENS: COLONIAL MARINES (SEGA)

Banned
You better stop thinking if that is the result. But really, of course not...

We're looking at the end of an era with Nintendo in it's current situation. Or, with some luck a new beginning.
The smiley face meant I was joking lol. I do believe Nintendo has one more console in them and if it doesn't succeed then its third party. If Nintendo ever does go third party it will most likely be in the next decade.

There are currently 184.097 active games in the iOS store.

This number doubled since January 2012.

The only thing that ensures you good sales are:

- A place on the front page
- An already acclaimed franchise that gives you a good place on the front page
- A place in one of the categories / special lists in the App Store that doesn't come after rank 50
- Word of mouth / social media hype <- but this is probably more luck than anything

The directly visible part of games probably accounts for 0,50 % of all available games, if we assume that you can find 1.000 games through two-level-linkage.

Code:
Count of Active Applications By Month
Month	# Apps	# Games	# Total

(...)

2011-12	343,703	96,273	439,976
2012-01	358,144	98,892	457,036
2012-02	371,685	101,302	472,987
2012-03	388,422	104,142	492,564
2012-04	405,986	107,285	513,271
2012-05	424,624	110,380	535,004
2012-06	440,218	113,159	553,377
2012-07	455,020	115,880	570,900
2012-08	470,982	118,785	589,767
2012-09	490,912	122,230	613,142
2012-10	511,113	125,433	636,546
2012-11	531,976	128,450	660,426
2012-12	552,168	132,377	684,545
2013-01	575,636	136,090	711,726
2013-02	596,631	139,567	736,198
2013-03	619,642	143,621	763,263
2013-04	644,603	147,965	792,568
2013-05	669,581	152,212	821,793
2013-06	691,263	155,892	847,155
2013-07	715,135	160,595	875,730
2013-08	737,521	165,217	902,738
2013-09	763,089	170,071	933,160
2013-10	794,255	176,822	971,077
2013-11	812,653	181,861	994,514
2013-12	816,605	[B]184,097[/B]	1,000,702
source: http://148apps.biz/app-store-metrics/?mpage=appcount

In a theoretical scenario Nintendo has the benefit that it has acclaimed franchises which should get a good place on the front-page and overall buzz.

But you people should consider that only their biggest mainstream franchises should really benefit from this. Mario, Pokemon, probably Animal Crossing.

Kirby or Fire Emblem won't quadruple their sales, even if they do, they need to do this, because the price tag is probably 10 times smaller than it would be on their own device. Plus 30% pay-out-ratio to Apple.

I'll probably going to create a thread with a hypothetical scenario (also considering Android and the worldwide growing smartphone market) to see how much Nintendo could benefit or not from this mobile hype.

I read hundrets of posts and suggestions that Nintendo could make big money but I didn't see a single calcuation considering this topic.

Nicktendo86

They wouldn't use Android in the first place, they'd use something like Firefox OS, Nintendo Web Framework on top of a proprietary OS.

And that would then take away a good reason to own the tablet: compatibility with android apps/games. If WP can only get 4% market share so far, what hope would a proprietary Nintendo OS have in the mobile space? They might as well just add some buttons and you have a dedicated handheld.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't understand why it would need to run Android. Why can't they make their own, proprietary OS that's optimised for games and more secure, like the Vita OS? With the right policies, the necessary apps will come. I don't think they're losing a whole lot by not having access to the Google Play 'ecosystem'.

Because then they will need the 3rd party support to develop specifically for this tablet. They will need a lots of apps that you can find already available on Android. They would need such a big development effort to launch a tablet that provides basic features for a tablet. And Android would be perfect except for one major thing - piracy - which takes it out of the game practically.

I think their next handheld will be in a shape of a tablet but still a handheld.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom