• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo shares plunge 6% by Monday close after trading as low as -18%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I've got 1000s hours in these series.

Then you give thanks for the series up to date and replay your current cartridges until the end of days... never settle for the lesser evil. Never.

You cannot tell from appearances how things will go. Sometimes imagination makes things out far worse than they are; yet without imagination not much can be done. Those people who are imaginative see many more dangers than perhaps exist; certainly many more than will happen; but then they must also pray to be given that extra courage to carry this far-reaching imagination. But for everyone, surely, what we have gone through in this period - I am addressing myself to the Forum - surely from this period of ten months this is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. We stood all alone a year ago, and to many countries it seemed that our account was closed, we were finished. All this tradition of ours, our songs, our Forum history, this part of the history of this country, were gone and finished and liquidated.
~Winston Churchill

Drek

It would still be horrifically immoral, and thankfully, is against the ideals put forth by the director of the franchise.

Why would it be immoral? Is renting games immoral? Is DLC somehow inherently immoral regardless of quality? I don't see it. The only way it's immoral is if the intent is to hook and gauge customers, which is easily avoided while still having a very profitable business model. Don't lock core content behind a pay wall, only frills, and make most everything available through grinding and trading.

QaaQer

I'm aware of criticism leveled against some forms of IAP, I just don't think that the mechanism is inherently "immoral," (or apparently "anti-consumer" as well now) and that a system couldn't be designed that wasn't exploitative.

Manipulation of developing brains for commercial ends by corporations is vile, imho. And any game company that does that is going to be in for a world of hurt.

The only system that will work is advertising. That also is manipulating developing minds for commercial ends and is repugnant, but at least it is somewhat acceptable to the mainstream.

You cannot tell from appearances how things will go. Sometimes imagination makes things out far worse than they are; yet without imagination not much can be done. Those people who are imaginative see many more dangers than perhaps exist; certainly many more than will happen; but then they must also pray to be given that extra courage to carry this far-reaching imagination. But for everyone, surely, what we have gone through in this period - I am addressing myself to the Forum - surely from this period of ten months this is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. We stood all alone a year ago, and to many countries it seemed that our account was closed, we were finished. All this tradition of ours, our songs, our Forum history, this part of the history of this country, were gone and finished and liquidated.
~Winston Churchill

"Not a step backwards"
-Josef Stolin, Order No. 227

Amusing

(both came in the same minute)

qko

F2P like that on a kid's franchise is ridiculously immoral and again, is against the ethos of the makers of Pokémon. It won't happen.

I am one of the biggest fans of Pokémon in the world. I run arguably the most popular fansite for Pokémon. If they were to do that...it'd make me reconsider running it.

We are not talking about ethos anymore we are talking about profits. Will nintendo do what is necessary to survive in the market?

This reminds me of the Dreamcast days, when people would say: ''sega will make a comeback yadda yadda''
Right... only Nintendo is worth 18 billion dollars, a measely 16 billion more than Sega was worth when they launched the Dreamcast. I suppose context isn't important though.

This thread needs more critical thought, and less shit disturbing

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
That IGN article comes from a WSJ article that concentrates on a single part of one of the parts of the original Iwata statements

The spread of smart devices does not spell the end of game consoles. It’s not that simple,” President Satoru Iwata said at a news conference Friday. The key is to figure out a way to use smartphones to make people aware of Nintendo’s games, and encourage them to try out the console version of the games, Mr. Iwata said.

“It doesn’t mean that we should put Mario on smartphones,” he said.

This is what he said days ago, and what it has already been reported numoerous times. Why are people acting as if it were new :p

Why would anyone design a system that wasn't exploitative?
Pokémon on iOS wouldn't be about creating a money hole for kids to dump their parents' cash into. It would primarily be about accessing the 200m+ active gamers who have iOS devices with a game that is free to download. These are consumers that Nintendo have lost from their dedicated portable market and still need to sell their games to in order to be profitable.

JoeM86

That IGN article comes from a WSJ article that concentrates on a single part of one of the parts of the original Iwata statements

This is what he said days ago, and what it has already been reported numoerous times. Why are people acting as if it were new :p

Because people, sites, articles, keep ignoring it and saying that they need to/are about to put games on smartphones.

The fact sites are posting this again now is evidence of this.

QaaQer

Why would it be immoral? Is renting games immoral? Is DLC somehow inherently immoral regardless of quality? I don't see it. The only way it's immoral is if the intent is to hook and gauge customers, which is easily avoided while still having a very profitable business model. Don't lock core content behind a pay wall, only frills, and make most everything available through grinding and trading.

beecause children ≠ adults

monetizing children

whale chasing

Lot of speculation these past few days

I honestly wonder if anything is really gonna change though. Again and again Iwata has sang this tune about changing his ways and this time things are gonna be different, and they're not. I wouldn't be shocked if the investor meeting is just "we need to make more games to encourage other people to buy the hardware" shit again.

There's a difference between willing to change and willing to throw your entire company's history down the pan, ruin the pull of all your franchises and kill the company.

There are clear changes coming, big ones. However, being unwilling to drop everything and go to smartphone is not evidence of them not taking the steps to change.

What big ones? The only thing we know is some comments relative software/hardware prices, western market bad interpretation and not Mario on handhelds. Barely a sign of big changes.

Every word coming from Iwata almost seems like he's ok with keeping the status quo with some minor changes.

erawsd

One of the issues is see with the hybrid console is that Nintendo love to sell two entries of their main franchises per gen, one n handheld and one on console. I do not believe that the increase in installed base from separate devices will be large enough to make up for losing half of their major game releases.

While the hybrid console is a nice idea, the practicalities have yet to be worked out. I do not feel Nintendo have the resources or approach to make it work without a significant downsizing of their first party output or suffering from sequelitis like Sony and MS.

Besides that, I just don't think it can work at a logistic level. You end up with a very expensive portable and a horribly underpowered console.

pulsemyne

The stock market price and investor comments show one thing very clearly. Most people involved in them know fuck all about the video games market. It also shows that Japaneses analysts are moronically insular in their perception of the global video games market. They are convinced that the world only wants mobile phone games.

Kimawolf

Nintendo should build their ecosystem, partner up with a major mobile hardware player and put out two devices. A regular handheld and a flagship phone version, both working on modified Android/or apple ios with hardware lock, then release a more powerful version as a home console that can connect and play those games on the bigscreen at higher fidelity (xbone level or higher) for the core market. Devs can, like PC games give you two modes or Require the console version to run games.

They should also lower their game prices, make entry level software for mobiles or offer older versions on mobile but tell them during the game if you want a newer version you have to buy the newer one.

This would get them in the mobile space, allow google/apple/samsung to really have an appealing device that can lock kids to their ecosystem.

Imagine a Samsung. Nintendo Galaxy phone with the same specs as a S5 and a dedicated Nintendo Galaxy handheld for a cheaper price. And a NES 2 docking/console with more power to run handheld games at the higher settings or those AAA games westerners love.

They should also court pc devs who are making said western style cinematic or M rated games as well and open a few studios whose sole focus is these western styled games i.e military shooters, tps games and wrpgs. And probably consider buying someone like Sega for their talent and ideas. Or teaming with Namco/Bandai for a games exclusive deal. Make said games only available on nintendo hardware and gamers will come.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
In what way is it more or less moral than charging $40 for two SKUs?

An easy way to protect kids is to essentially unlock all of the options once $50-80 is spent, but keep limited edition Pokémon and powerups as IAPs.

Anyway, I am in agreement with you, I do not believe Nintendo would go for it. The management have proven time and again that they are not willing to go all in.

Nintendo do not hold the rights to the franchise (they do hold various trademarks pertaining to the series nonetheless) - The Pokemon Company does. Nintendo holds 32% of the company and most likely signed an agreement upon its inception that every mainline Pokemon game developed be published and released by Nintendo, on Nintendo platforms.

If ever Pokemon would become F2P on smart devices, it would have to be agreed by both parties.

Edit: 32%

SpyGuy239

wow this is shocking. I don't love Nintendo now as I might have grown out of what they offer, but I still treasure pokemon and mario...

What's GAF's opinion on buying their stock now?

I'm tempted to take the plunge. I have some faith that it will go up, even if its not as high as last time, but still a substantial amount.

maverick40

Sony gets Metroid, Mario, Kid Icarus, Pikmin exclusives.

Microsoft gets Zelda and Pokemon exclusives.

If Steambox ever gets off the ground, they can have Sin and Punishment exclusives and the occasional Nintendo-published Silicon Knights title.

It will be great to play back-catalogue titles with trophies and achievements.

tCSldu4.gif

JoeM86

Nintendo does not hold the rights to the franchise (they do hold various trademarks pertaining to the series nonetheless) - The Pokemon Company does. Nintendo holds 33% of the company and most likely signed an agreement upon its inception that every mainline Pokemon game developed be published and released by Nintendo, on Nintendo platforms.

If ever Pokemon would become F2P on smart devices, it would have to be agreed by both parties.

Pokémon is tricky, ownership wise, but you are correct in that Nintendo can't force anything, and GameFreak & Creatures Inc. cannot either. They will forever be on Nintendo platforms, but Nintendo doesn't have control.

wow this is shocking. I don't love Nintendo now as I might have grown out of what they offer, but I still treasure pokemon and mario...

I'm tempted to take the plunge. I have some faith that it will go up, even if its not as high as last time, but still a substantial amount.

I'm going to, but I'll be waiting until the 30th since whatever Iwata announces, it won't be smartphone games so price will likely drop again.

Nintendo do not hold the rights to the franchise (they do hold various trademarks pertaining to the series nonetheless) - The Pokemon Company does. Nintendo holds 33% of the company and most likely signed an agreement upon its inception that every mainline Pokemon game developed be published and released by Nintendo, on Nintendo platforms.

No. Nintendo bought the totality of he Pokémon company. I think they own all but 5%. Aquamarine had the information iirc.

Tobor

Depends on what you think is going to happen on the 30th. If they announce mobile plans, the stock will go way up. If they don't, it will nosedive.

Since investors are expecting "MARIO ON iOS!!" announcements at the end of the month and since all they'll get is "HEY HERE'S SOME SHITTY COMPANION APP AND F2P GAMES ON 3DS!", I can see stock getting another plunge.

Then you can buy.

Alienous

If they had consulted me, or any other gamer, whilst the Wii U was being designed they could have averted this disaster.

JoeM86

No. Nintendo bought the totality of he Pokémon company. I think they own all but 5%. Aquamarine had the information iirc.

Not quite.

Nintendo own The Pokémon Company (and were the ones to set it up...they didn't buy it), however if I'm not mistaken Pokémon as a franchise and trademark is joint owned by GameFreak, Creatures Inc. and Nintendo almost equally, with GameFreak having the majority.

Wii and DS could have transformed Nintendo into the next Apple or Google. Iwata is not a big thinker. He can't expand Nintendo. He can't react correctly to success or failure.

He is not a Steve Jobs.

Anyone who invests in Nintendo is throwing money away as long as Iwata is CEO.

AmyS

If they really wanted to they could probably get away with just selling the Wii U for an extremely low price or something like what was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Problem with that is, the Wii name is now shit, so any console that's Wii-branded probably won't do well.

Nintendo's next console needs to make a clean break from the GameCube / Wii / Wii U CPU architecture (Wii U's Espresso CPU still uses cores based on the PowerPC-based Gekko/Broadway from GCN/Wii) as well as the Wii branding.

Something like PowerVR Series 6 "Rogue" GPU architecture would be great for both the new handheld and the next console. Obviously a bigger, faster GPU for the console. The CPUs could be either ARM or X86 based. That is, assuming the next Nintendo platforms share the same basic architecture, with the console having higher performance.

As for price points, the handheld should be no more than $149.99 at launch in NA (3DS launched at $249.99) and a single SKU for the console, no more than $299.99 if the specs are at least somewhat above PS4-level in every way. Wii U launched with two SKUs, $349.99 and $299.99. It was both more *and* less powerful than 360/PS3, depending on what spec you're comparing.

Most importantly, 1st party studios need to be ready out of the gates with stellar games and Nintendo needs to, somehow, have repaired its very damaged relationships with 3rd party devs, which have not been good on the console side of things since the Super Fami/SNES era ~2 decades ago.

Cosmozone

Wow, so in the US the share price dropped 17% and only 6% in Japan. That's a 11% difference. Bold guys could have made money.

I checked the Tokyo Stock Exchange prices for the last day:
It opened at 11,945 (down 18,5% from last close)
It closed at 13,745 - Up 15% from the opening price
..all because of hopes for Nintendo smartphone games?

The only pressure for Nintendo to exit the hardware business and go 3rd party is exclusively external. I assure you that internally, that scenario is not even on Nintendo's radar. Of course there are plenty of shills calling for their heads, specifically 'analysts' and news media outlets that have ulterior motives, plus the typical trolls coming out of the woodwork. Any change to their business model will be far less significant than what's being speculated here, and for the love of God they are not abandoning the Wii U. People can't honestly believe that, can they?

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

That's MonolithSoft.

Investor's Relations:

Nintendo owns 32% of the Pokémon Company, Creatures Inc. and Game Freak are also owners of the Pokémon Company.

FiggyCal

Banned
Why is Nintendo going third party such a bad thing? You still get to play their games, but on better hardware. Plus you wouldn't need to buy another system to play third party games.

QaaQer

If you treat it like having some money for gambling on a Vegas trip, go with your gut & have fun.

If you are looking for financial advice, educate yourself, talk to an independent financial advisor, and maximize things like IRAs, RRSPs, paying down high-interest debt, etc. before playing the market.

The only pressure for Nintendo to exit the hardware business and go 3rd party is exclusively external. I assure you that internally, that scenario is not even on Nintendo's radar. Of course there are plenty of shills calling for their heads, specifically 'analysts' and news media outlets that have ulterior motives, plus the typical trolls coming out of the woodwork. Any change to their business model will be far less significant than what's being speculated here, and for the love of God they are not abandoning the Wii U. People can't honestly believe that, can they?

This is probably exactly how Iwata thinks and why he is in such deep shit right now.

Box

So for this theoretical Pokemon game that would be bigger on mobile than it ever could be on the 3DS, do we have numerical estimates for just how big it would have to be? How does the revenue from Pokemon stack up against the revenue from some of the biggest mobile games currently on the market?

This year is going to be one of the most historic moments in gaming. My nipples are like icebergs I'm so hype.

This year is going to be like 2003, absolutely nothing to show besides GCN-GBA connectivity and Pac-Man....

Nintendo is going to try to have synenergy with mobile and the Wii U but they will fall flat on their face since they have no clue about the mobile market. The fact Iwata thinks he can use the app store and google play as some advertisment avenue for Wii U proves that.

Dr. Buni

If Steambox ever gets off the ground, they can have Sin and Punishment exclusives and the occasional Nintendo-published Silicon Knights title.

Ugh.

DeviantBoi

They just need to ride out the Wii U for four more years. It needs a price drop, which can easily be achieved by removing the tablet.

Then come out with a next-gen console a year before the PS5 and Xbone 2 are expected to be released. No gimmicks - just raw power.

Make sure that it has an online network just as good as the PSN.

An online store with every VC game up to and including the Gamecube available from day one. they can then start releasing Wii and Wii U games on the VC at a steady rate.

And it has to have a name that can truly be a successor to the NES, SNES, and N64.

And if they still fail after this, then they do need to get out of the market.

JoeM86

Why is Nintendo going third party such a bad thing? You still get to play their games, but on better hardware. Plus you wouldn't need to buy another system to play third party games.

Because of the impact it would have.

They'd have to significantly downsize, meaning mass layoffs which would kill morale and have an effect on work quality.
They would have to rely on their software output which means that the games would be released annually, specifically Mario & Pokémon with the occasional Zelda. All other IPs will be dead forever.
In addition to no longer receiving income from their hardware, as well as third party licensing fees, they would also get less money back from their software.
The Nintendo polish that we have come to expect from their games will also not exist if they are multiplatform due to deadlines and the fact that multiplatform games never run identically across all formats.

It would kill Nintendo.

Nilaul

Scrap the WiiU. Come out with another console that's backwards compatible and at least as powerful if not more than PS4/Xbone. Give a credit to existing WiiU buyers (there are frankly not that many anyways) to upgrade to the new console.

It's what Apple did when it first launched the iPhone. Obviously, it didn't hurt it any.

Are you willing to refund 5.30 million sales? Or provide new consoles for these people?

FiggyCal

Banned

You might want to get professional advice, friend. But it would seem like a bad idea at this moment. It'll probably go lower.

Arkadios

Even as a joke this is hard to read. Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom