• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo shares plunge 6% by Monday close after trading as low as -18%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darmik

Not sure what the uproar over my post was. I tried to balance the distribution of franchises fairly. I get that I might have been too generous giving Microsoft the Zelda franchise, but Sony gets Mario + Pikmin + Metroid. Fair trade off.

The best thing for the industry would be that Nintendo figures out how to recover. Not sure why anyone would want stuff like this.

Hell the impact of Sega leaving the console business is still felt today. Never mind the fall of one of the biggest video game companies of all time. Every failure made by a pubslisher or developer is felt through the industry. More failures equal less risks and less variety in the industry. Nintendo collapsing would be one massive, massive failure

HoJu

Nintendo should just pawn off their old and/or 5fth-tier IPs.

If they sell Ice Climbers, StarTropics, Star Fox, F-Zero, FlingSmash, Duck Hunt, Clu Clu Land, Animal Crossing, Metroid, Mother, Ice Hockey, Hogan's Alley, Odama, Batallion Wars, and Famicon Detective Club then i'm pretty sure they'd have more than enough to last another 15-20 years.

He mentioned Direct

You are correct. I apologize.

If they sell Ice Climbers, StarTropics, Star Fox, F-Zero, FlingSmash, Duck Hunt, Clu Clu Land, Animal Crossing, Metroid, Mother, Ice Hockey, Hogan's Alley, Odama, Batallion Wars, and Famicon Detective Club then i'm pretty sure they'd have more than enough to last another 15-20 years.

No.

Mononoke

Banned
Very few of us agree about what Nintendo can or should do to get themselves out of their situation.

What I think we CAN agree on is that the tenor of the discussion about Nintendo changed this week, and in a significant way. There can no longer be any denial about the situation they're in.

I've been looking forward to this news - not because I want Nintendo to fail, but because I knew they were failing and yet half the people you'd talk to would outright deny it. 'Wait for the games' for Wii U, and '3DS in beast mode'. Fantasy stuff. It's just a little sad that this had to happen after one of their best years of software in a long, long time.

It's going to be a very, very interesting year.

Is it sad that it took Iwata longer than some, to figure out his company was heading in to a mess of trouble?

Sandfox

How are Nintendo making games for Wii U? They need HD teams and those people can't be shoved in a corner if they stick to just phones.

If PS4/XBO continue to break records (which I'm pretty sure they are), there's no way they're going to blindside them.

I was referring to the scenario where they had no console and just made games for mobile. If they were to find success making games on mobile they wouldn't necessarily have to support or even compete directly with the other consoles.

jax

Banned
Sony gets Metroid, Mario, Kid Icarus, Pikmin exclusives.

Microsoft gets Zelda and Pokemon exclusives.

If Steambox ever gets off the ground, they can have Sin and Punishment exclusives and the occasional Nintendo-published Silicon Knights title.

It will be great to play back-catalogue titles with trophies and achievements.

Will never happen

2015: Nintendo gets bought by Microsoft
2016: Microsoft releases Kinect III bundled with 'Dance With Yoshi'
2017: Windows 9.1 releases, with exclusive access to the new Nintendo Online Game Shop, letting you buy classics like the Legend of Zelda for $12.99 that cross play with your PC and Windows Phone.
2018: Super Mario Bros Online comes out for Xbox One, requiring Kinect III.

jblank83

God I love me some panic mode Nintendo.

Give me something amazing this year, Nintendo.

It takes years to develop software, 2-3 years for most "AAA" titles, if not more. "Panic mode" isn't going to result in great software now or in the immediate future. Anything good that comes out this year is due to planning that occurred in 2010, give or take a year.

Kriken

Sony gets Metroid, Mario, Kid Icarus, Pikmin exclusives.

Microsoft gets Zelda and Pokemon exclusives.

If Steambox ever gets off the ground, they can have Sin and Punishment exclusives and the occasional Nintendo-published Silicon Knights title.

It will be great to play back-catalogue titles with trophies and achievements.

tumblr_mapwzhazNk1qzlvmi.gif

ascii42

This is the thing here nowadays. You can't tell when one is being serious or not, no matter how ridiculous their post is...

EDIT: holy fuck you're actually serious. this idea doesn't make remotely any sense. do you see sega having their franchises staying exclusive to certain systems through moneyhatting? (and no dont say sonic lost world because we still get non-nintendo sonic games) wtf is the point of this?

Well, initially Sega did have quite a few things go exclusive. Mostly to Xbox, but GameCube was the first to get Sonic, and PS2 got Virtua Fighter.'

Since a lot of that wasn't a particularly good idea, I would think it would be best if Nintendo put their games on both PS4 and Xbox One.

DJIzana

I'm looking forward to changes as well. I'm a huge Nintendo fanboy... as much as I am a Sega one.

I really hope, like many people state, they get rid of their casual market because that is gone. They should focus on core games. X and Smash Bros are a great start but they need to keep the ball rolling.

There are more than enough platforming games out too so they really should also focus less on those... after Donkey Kong is released.

Syf

Banned

They should sell F-Zero to EA! Just $5 per F-Zero machine or $50 for all the machines they'll release this year. Don't forget $2 to change the color of yours and $1.50 for a special one-time use turbo booster. But wait, you can also buy generic decals for your machine at $0.75 a pop.

Mononoke

Banned
It takes years to develop software, 2-3 years for most "AAA" titles, if not more. "Panic mode" isn't going to result in great software now or in the immediate future. Anything good that comes out this year is due to planning that occurred in 2010, give or take a year.

Yep. And since Iwata has no plans to step down and we are stuck with the leadership we have now, it's going to be Iwata and his people deciding the future of Nintendo for the next 5 years. Whatever Nintendo's plans are for their next hardware, is going to be decided by them as well.

Are we going to see the company locked into another mess like the Wii U?

Onesimos

More bad news! I thought the stock nose dive was one time a few days back, and now another one.

Nintendo needs to do something drastic to change its fortunes and needs to be quick.

AniHawk

Well, initially Sega did have quite a few things go exclusive. Mostly to Xbox, but GameCube was the first to get Sonic, and PS2 got Virtua Fighter.'

Since a lot of that wasn't a particularly good idea, I would think it would be best if Nintendo put their games on both PS4 and Xbox One.

nintendo's probably not going to support other consoles as long as they have a handheld line that sells.

I'm kind of tired of writing over and over about how they screwed up. It's put up or shut up time. I really do hope they can survive this, modernize and thrive.

lol @ AC being a 5th tier franchise. You know the recent 3DS one sold 4 million in Japan alone?

Not sure what the uproar over my post was. I tried to balance the distribution of franchises fairly. I get that I might have been too generous giving Microsoft the Zelda franchise, but Sony gets Mario + Pikmin + Metroid. Fair trade off.

The thing I would be most interested in for sure is Majora's Mask on XBLA.

freddy-is-bewildered-3mj4p.gif

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
They should sell F-Zero to EA! Just $5 per F-Zero machine or $50 for all the machines they'll release this year. Don't forget $2 to change the color of yours and $1.50 for a special one-time use turbo booster. But wait, you can also buy generic decals for your machine at $0.75 a pop.

If they sell F-Zero to anyone, they should just give it to Platinum. Platinum character action game starring Captain Falcon.

Fuck it, give everything to Platinum. Platinum should make their own console.

Investors still demanding that short term fix of mobile. Who gives a shit. They aren't going to do it because it doesn't make sense outside of being a marketing tool for their own products.

Nintendo would rather try to hit a home run like the Wii again than settle for a line drive single. Even if it means failure I don't think they have ever or will ever take the easy, expected route for their business direction.

The Lamp

I'm hoping for announcements. Maybe Wii U ambassador program or something. Give me something, Nintendo.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Kind of funny to see the people who jumped on the stock in light of the news of China opening up to game consoles get burned.

(Reuters) - Shares in Nintendo Co Ltd tumbled by nearly a fifth on Monday after it warned of a third straight year of operating losses, heaping pressure on the creator of "Super Mario" to abandon its policy of not licensing its software to rivals.
After the market close on Friday, the Kyoto-based company slashed its global Wii U sales forecast for the year to March 31 by almost 70 percent to 2.8 million units."Its console-based business model spells doom for stakeholders. It has no choice but to accept the change," Jefferies analysts wrote in a note. "We believe Mario on mobile is coming."

Reuters hit the nail on the head in regards to the reason for the freefall.

The third straight year of operating losses is huge. Three years and no profits in their core business is the most frustrating aspect of Nintendo's underperformance.

Darmik

I'm looking forward to changes as well. I'm a huge Nintendo fanboy... as much as I am a Sega one.

I really hope, like many people state, they get rid of their casual market because that is gone. They should focus on core games. X and Smash Bros are a great start but they need to keep the ball rolling.

There are more than enough platforming games out too so they really should also focus less on those... after Donkey Kong is released.

Just Dance was still one of the best selling games of the year. That audience isn't completely gone. I don't think Nintendo should completely give up on them. If Ubisoft can manage to please both audiences, Nintendo should be able to as well.

Publishers need to find variety. Safe successes like Just Dance can lead to better budgets for games focused on the core gamer. All publishers need to find a healthy variety in their catalogue. I agree on Nintendo focusing too much on the platformer however.

Griss

Is it sad that it took Iwata longer than some, to figure out his company was heading in to a mess of trouble?

Yeah. I remember seeing people talking about how mobile was hurting 3DS and that it would inevitably continue to do so... in 2011. Two years later they figure it out.

We all thought the Wii U might flop after the first E3, then at the second we were convinced. (Go back and read that E3 conference thread, the anger and confusion are incredible)

And through it all, there has been a basic lack of competence in software planning, expansion and basic network infrastructure - the simple stuff that they should be able to nail without issue.

Iwata has been a disaster for a while. That said, software quality has been sky high under him so for selfish reasons I almost hope he stays.

GHG

Yep. And since Iwata has no plans to step down and we are stuck with the leadership we have now, it's going to be Iwata and his people deciding the future of Nintendo for the next 5 years. Whatever Nintendo's plans are for their next hardware, is going to be decided by them as well.

Are we going to see the company locked into another mess like the Wii U?

If the share price continues to fall as it is today he will be forced out on the 30th.

They can't afford to keep losing money like they are at the moment.

They've lost $2.3 billion in market cap since July 2011.

God I love me some panic mode Nintendo.

Give me something amazing this year, Nintendo.

Panic mode Nintendo is overrated. What does that get you besides rushed games?

I see big changes coming, but probably not the kind of thing many people here will love.

Sandfox

I'm hoping for announcements. Maybe Wii U ambassador program or something. Give me something, Nintendo.

You're probably going to be disappointed unless the game is already far enough to development to be coming out this year or something.

Montresor

You're ignoring a lot of other things like the Nintendo talent leaving and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be Game Freak working on a Microsoft Pokemon game.

Fair point. However:

Groundwork has been laid for these IPs: Is the original talent absolutely necessary? Mario Galaxy 3 in 1080p and 60fps on Playstation 4 would be a game-of-the-year candidate. Sony has a large stable of talented developers - they will find a way to get it done, even if EAD legacy employees betray Nintendo and leave for other companies. What matters is that there is already a solid foundation to build upon for any newcomers who swoop in to continue the franchise.

Nintendo still in control: Remember that Nintendo is only opting out of the console business. They will still be in the software business, retaining full control of their IPs and development studios. I concede that engineers may jump ship to IBM. But why would someone on the software side like Aonuma for example, jump ship to Capcom or Ubisoft, when he can remain with Nintendo, and be the head honcho of the Zelda franchise until the day he dies? Aonuma doesn't care about the console, he doesn't care about what's manufactured in a physical sense. He cares about S-O-F-T-W-A-R-E! He's an artist, not an engineer.

Back-catalogue: Even if software talent defects, and even if Microsoft and Sony cannot find suitable talent to replace any devs foolishly looking for greener pastures (and there is no greener pasture than a Nintendo development studio), these companies can still profit greatly from back-catalogue titles. Super Mario 64 in 1080p 60fps and a platinum trophy... that will convert into a hefty profit. Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons on Windows Phone 8 with achievements... again, a hefty profit, at minimal effort.

Griss

2015: Nintendo gets bought by Microsoft
2016: Microsoft releases Kinect III bundled with 'Dance With Yoshi'
2017: Windows 9.1 releases, with exclusive access to the new Nintendo Online Game Shop, letting you buy classics like the Legend of Zelda for $12.99 that cross play with your PC and Windows Phone.
2018: Super Mario Bros Online comes out for Xbox One, requiring Kinect III.

The hilarious thing is that there are actually worse scenarios in play here. Hard to believe, but true.

Mexen

Good time to invest in them.
I think Nintendo will bounce back but they will have to compromise to do so.
A few flag-ship titles should be licensed. More systems means more people playing games means more money. They should risk mobile while injecting some resources in never-seen-before IPs with modern graphics to truly compete against Sony and Microsoft. That should help alleviate stakeholders' fears while catering to a new audience who want more than Mario games.

It's funny how the Wii crowd doesn't seem to have gone U. If Nintendo is to retain that casual audience, then maybe they should focus on mobile and the gimmicky casual games that made the Wii a success.

Regardless of that, Nintendo will always pump out Zelda and Mario games anyway.

Mononoke

Banned
If the share price continues to fall as it is today he will be forced out on the 30th.

They can't afford to keep losing money like they are at the moment.

They've lost $2.3 billion in market cap since July 2011.

Well, Iwata is a smart man. He's surrounded himself with his people, and consolidated his power in the company. I don't know how hard it would be to actually force him to step down. I think it speaks volumes that he won't step down, despite his continuous failures.

Griss

This is the opposite of what they will do. They will follow their market (kids and casuals) to where they are. Which is mobile, or hopefully simply a cheaper handheld and much simpler software at much cheaper prices.

Persona7

Banned

The thing I would be most interested in for sure is Majora's Mask on XBLA.

I would take that. Hell, give every N64 game to 4J studios and have them develop a HD version.

Should I buy now or wait?

I would wait.

Lunar15

I don't think you'll see Nintendo games coming to smartphones any time soon, but I think you'll see apps. Apps that are like little social "companions" to their actual games. Apps that somehow connect to data from a 3DS game, and act as little social "beacons" to get other people to buy the 3DS game.

For example, some kind of pokemon app on a smartphone that pulls data from your file in Pokemon. Anyone can download the app and see what their friends are doing, but you only really reap the benefits if you have the game.

Is this a good idea? Will it actually work as a marketing scheme aimed at smartphone audiences? I have no idea, and honestly, probably not.

Nilaul

The hilarious thing is that there are actually worse scenarios in play here. Hard to believe, but true.

I dunno if thats the worse senario; atleast all the games be under one roof. My god help us all if Microsoft was to wield so much power (because of what they tried doing before the 180).

GHG

Investors still demanding that short term fix of mobile. Who gives a shit. They aren't going to do it because it doesn't make sense outside of being a marketing tool for their own products.

Nintendo would rather try to hit a home run like the Wii again than settle for a line drive single. Even if it means failure I don't think they have ever or will ever take the easy, expected route for their business direction.

The issue right now is that Ninendo don't have the luxury of time anymore. They've had 3 years to try and sort this out and have only just now come out and admitted something is wrong. That is too late.

Now that the share price is plummeting Ninendo need to do something quickly (even if it is a short term measure) to stabilise their stock. If not they run the risk of being very vulnerable to a buyout, in which situation they would lose control of their business and any long term plan/vision that they may have had goes out the window. The most important thing to do is stabilise now, plug the leak and then start thinking more long term.

Well, Iwata is a smart man. He's surrounded himself with his people, and consolidated his power in the company. I don't know how hard it would be to actually force him to step down. I think it speaks volumes that he won't step down, despite his continuous failures.

Well if he doesn't step down and doesn't start implememting some changes he's going to take the company down with him.

jblank83

Fair

Personally, I'd like to hear about an integrated account system not tied to hardware.

If not they run the risk of being very vulnerable to a buyout, in which situation they would lose control of their business.

A large percentage of stock still belongs to the Yamauchi family. approx 10%. More is held by longtime Nintendo employees. This insulates Nintendo somewhat from having their stocks bought out.

Beyond that, the Japanese government and corporate culture in general is very protectionist when it comes to hostile takeovers. That is, they usually don't allow them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom