• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo shares plunge 6% by Monday close after trading as low as -18%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecotic

A few sold stock while speculation was at an all-time high (before the Q3 results, stock was high because of speculation for emerging markets / China news / major change).

But others are in it for the long haul / for the reliable dividends. Some are waiting for the stock to skyrocket on a possible announcement of mobile related stuff.

Regardless if Nintendo will actually make any money on mobile, the stock will perform well in response to Nintendo chasing the bubble.

I really don't get why these long haulers didn't just sell a week ago when I made that thread about it being at an all-time high, and then just rebuy on Friday on the sell-off and increase their holdings by 20% compared to the week before.

If anything they need MORE staff. Hardware is always ready, software is not. If they software had been ready, I bet the WiiU could have launched a year earlier.

They're having a really hard time because they just have no 3rd party support behind them.

This was a response to Nintendo focusing on handhelds, in which case, they probably can't afford to be as big as they are and remain profitable. I kind of feel like layoffs will eventually be inevitable. Whichever direction Nintendo shifts in, expansion doesn't make sense without a successful home console business.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
So you don't think Iwata is responsible for the predicament they are currently in? That he didn't make some poor decisions? When I hear fall guy, I think of someone that isn't really responsible, and is taking the blame. Do you really think Iwata fits this bill?

I don't know enough about it to say, but somebody needs to go to keep the investors happy.

Crayons

Banned
Valve + Nintendo is the answer

Best of both worlds, unmatched online services with unmatched first party development and franchises..

There is zero evidence this is the case but Iwata should send some strippers with knives to Gabe Newell immediately

Nintendo: SMTxFE will be releasing next year.
Releases 5 years later.

Sandfox

They really are in such a hole, though, as the Wii U only released a year ago and looks like it could tank completely. That's a ton of R&D money wasted, and a MASSIVE write-down on inventory, too. They probably have 6 million more WiiU already manufactured. A write down of even $100 dollars on each of those... Do the maths. It's not pretty.

On the other side, the 3DS has already peaked. It just had its best year of software yet sales are slowing, and it fell far below expectations. They do not have a new handheld coming out to remedy this. Therefore the 3DS will be far less able to offset the Wii U losses this year, and the Wii U losses will most likely be bigger, or the same.

Basically, when an investor asks this question of Iwata at the investor / strategy meeting:
'Mr. Iwata, what is your short term plan to ensure we do not suffer another two years of annual losses following the last three'
the point is that he will have no answer at all.
You do realize that's one of the major points he's planning to address in the meeting, right?

Also, Nintendo could still make some money off the leftover Wii U's by selling them at a cheaper price even if its without the controller and try to do something like releasing vc and eshop games on mobile to make some extra money while they work on their other plans.

The last time they tried to chase both rabbits we got the WiiU.

They would have to follow the casuals to mobile and use consoles for the core audience rather than trying to target both with one devices.

These two do not mix well at all.

Valve's consumer base doesn't buy games for more than 50 cents and Nintendo software never drops in price.

what?

The top sellers on steam regularly feature full $60 titles like Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, etc when those titles release.

Right now the top two sellers are $20 and $30 titles, and Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Skyrim legendary, ArmA 3, and Rome Total War 2 are all featured in the top sellers at $60.

Just because there are sales does not mean people don't buy games they want to play at full price on steam. Not to mention the legions of people spending constantly on Dota 2 items. Valve could really help them launch into that more sustainable and legitimate free 2 play side of the market.

AniHawk

The last time they tried to chase both rabbits we got the WiiU.

yep. going after both audiences is a nonstarter. either it has to be like the other systems (complex and expensive) or not like them at all (accessible and inexpensive). with the wii u and 3ds they went with complex and expensive, but acted like they were accessible.

JordanN

Banned
Ok serious question, how is Nintendo going to make money before they try again with a new console(s)?

They already released Pokemon and Mario so what's left? Zelda? And if that game is expensive to make?

Otherwise, can we look forward to another year of losses?

Sentenza

These two do not mix well at all.

Valve's consumer base doesn't buy games for more than 50 cents and Nintendo software never drops in price.
Oh, I absolutely agree that they don't mix at all, but you reason is crap.
The real problem is that I don't see how a company like Nintendo, which is almost monolithically static, traditional and conservative in the way it runs its business, could find any common ground with Valve.

Ok serious question, how is Nintendo going to make money before they try again with a new console(s)?

They already released Pokemon and Mario so what's left? Zelda? And if that game is expensive to make?

Otherwise, can we look forward to another year of losses?

Animal Crossing on Wii U this holiday with 3DS cross-save functionality.
Wii Sports Club released at retail with marketing focused on the online aspects.
More games released based on the models set by Darumeshi Sports Store, Wii Sports Club, or Wii Karaoke U.
HD Remakes.
Hope Steeldiver F2P catches a few whales.
2DS in Japan.

I don't really know.

Montresor

Oh, I absolutely agree that they don't mix at all, but you reason is crap.
The real problem is that I don't see how a company like Nintendo, which is almost monolithically static, traditional and conservative in the way it runs its business, could find any common ground with Valve.

It's much more simple:

Nintendo still makes single player games. Valve doesn't. Their two philosophies are incompatible with each other. Nintendo is still interested in capturing hard-core gamers with solid single player campaigns like Zelda and Mario. Valve has, for all intents and purposes, internally cancelled Half Life 3, and is propping up micro-transaction-filled multiplayer games like Dota 2 and Team Fortress 2.

Aaron

It's much more simple:

Nintendo still makes single player games. Valve doesn't. Their two philosophies are incompatible with each other. Nintendo is still interested in capturing hard-core gamers with solid single player campaigns like Zelda and Mario. Valve has, for all intents and purposes, internally cancelled Half Life 3, and is propping up micro-transaction-filled multiplayer games like Dota 2 and Team Fortress 2.
The opposite is true. The companies are strong in different areas, so pooling their resources would be a benefit to both since there's no real area they cross to create a conflict.

It's much more simple:

Nintendo is also going to be making those micro-transaction filled games soon enough in all likelihood.

Nintendo should just pawn off their old and/or 5fth-tier IPs.

If they sell Ice Climbers, StarTropics, Star Fox, F-Zero, FlingSmash, Duck Hunt, Clu Clu Land, Animal Crossing, Metroid, Mother, Ice Hockey, Hogan's Alley, Odama, Batallion Wars, and Famicon Detective Club then i'm pretty sure they'd have more than enough to last another 15-20 years.

5th tier? Right. Good observation.

Montresor

Hoo boy, another doom thread.

I wonder when we'll get some port begging for games like Bayo...

WELP

Agreed. I think port begging is a pretty despicable practice. For example, in a hypothetical scenario where Mario Galaxy 3 is exclusive to PS4, it would be poor form if Xbox fans ruined threads with incessant, obnoxious, drive-by, port-begging posts.

Ditto if Majora's Mask 2 was exclusive to Xbox One.

And of course, ditto once again for Bayonetta 2 and its Wii U exclusively. Although if Nintendo does go third-party, it's conceivable that we could see Bayonetta 2 on next-gen consoles with achievements and trophies. I'm not begging for that kind of port, don't get me wrong. I can't stand Bayonetta's sexist rape culture and mediocre game play. I wouldn't play the game, period, so don't mistake what I'm saying for port begging. But I truly believe Bayonetta 2 will get ported eventually to maximize its profits.

Sentenza

It's much more simple:

Nintendo still makes single player games. Valve doesn't.
That's not even remotely true. But even if it was, that would be at most a reason to consider them complementary, not incompatible.

Nice stealth trolling, by the way.

It's much more simple:

Sure, it doesn't make sense in that they are not compatible, but wouldn't filling Steam with all those delicious solid single player campaigns fill a need that Valve is lacking in?

The popularity and frequency of Vintage Nintendo streams on Twitch and the popularity of Emulation tell me that PC gamers are extremely aware of Nintendo and their history. I think it would be a good pairing because both would benefit in ways they are both deficient.

qko

I hate when news outlets talk about "policies" as if it's such a casual policy and there is no ramifications.

They will at some point they will say anything like say... "Microsoft's insistence to continue the policy of keeping their franchises on their systems" or " Sony's strange policy to not put the Last of Us on iPads".

These outlets certainly don't understand what "going third party" means. They see Microsoft Word on OSX, iTunes on Windows and Chrome on IPhones. So Nintendo keeping their software solely on their systems is as weird to them as Sony or Microsoft keeping their software on their systems.

Dirtbag

I wonder how much of their down turn is attributed to their overall dismissal of online gaming / social hooks / and just general multiplayer infastructure.

Ecotic

-7%. Don't know why it isn't plunging more. hmm
Probably because Japanese investors have had time to absorb the shock. Nintendo's ADR shares in America dipped first on Friday and everyone's had the weekend to let it settle in and not make a hasty decision.

-7%. Don't know why it isn't plunging more. hmm

1) Iwata's corporate strategy meeting is on the 30th. We have yet to learn what his plans are in response to the third straight year of operating losses.

2) Iwata appeased short-term investors saying "Nintendo is considering a new business structure."

3) And, it's a sure thing the stock will rise further on more anticipation, if not now, then in the future.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
They are a company with a history beyond the WiiU and a staff filled with brilliant minds.

Don't expect more of a change than this until their next idea fails or succeeds.

Nobody is debating their talented staff; however, the plunge was less steep than I originally projected. Comparatively, the ADRS had an 17% drop.

syko de4d

Valve + Nintendo is the answer

Best of both worlds, unmatched online services with unmatched first party development and franchises..

There is zero evidence this is the case but Iwata should send some strippers with knives to Gabe Newell immediately

Nope, Nintendo can do this on their own but they should hire people from Valve, Blizzard or Riot. Start to develop a smash bros f2p game for PC (Windows and Linux). Release it when its finished, or start with a good Beta. 1-2years later, when Smash Bros f2p has around 10-20mio active players, transform the Smash Bros.-client into a Nintendo storefront. Releasing some more PC focused online games and the great normal Nintendo games like Mario and Zelda should be on their PC client and on consoles.

Griss

You do realize that's one of the major points he's planning to address in the meeting, right?

Also, Nintendo could still make some money off the leftover Wii U's by selling them at a cheaper price even if its without the controller and try to do something like releasing vc and eshop games on mobile to make some extra money while they work on their other plans.

They would have to follow the casuals to mobile and use consoles for the core audience rather than trying to target both with one devices.

Yes. That is actually the point I am making. That I cannot forsee any answer he would have that isn't bullshit that kicks the can down the road again, bar an immediate entrance into mobile, which I am convinced will not happen. (Not immediately, that is)

Dude, when a companies shares plunge 18% of course you're going to get a doom thread!

Shares are back up.

nBdYNVj.png

I agree that Nintendo x Valve will never happen for a variety of reasons, but that would be the mother of all combos if they could reconcile their differences.

Nope, Nintendo can do this on their own but they should hire people from Valve, Blizzard or Riot. Start to develop a smash bros f2p game for PC (Windows and Linux). Release it when its finished, or start with a good Beta. 1-2years later, when Smash Bros f2p has around 10-20mio active players, transform the Smash Bros.-client into a Nintendo storefront. Releasing some more PC focused online games and the great normal Nintendo games like Mario and Zelda should be on their PC client and on consoles.

No way, I don't want to see Nintendo struggle through 5+ years of trying to build an online PC infrastructure when a perfectly capable one already exists.

Even companies like Ubisoft and EA who have plenty of online experience struggle to do this very thing.

They need a partner, a turnkey solution that their developers can take advantage of right away and plug into. Steam is that.

Sandfox

Yes. That is actually the point I am making. That I cannot forsee any answer he would have that isn't bullshit that kicks the can down the road again, bar an immediate entrance into mobile, which I am convinced will not happen. (Not immediately, that is)

He's had months to think of something so he probably has some ideas but that doesn't necessarily mean that they will be good or what investors want and we'll have to wait and see. Either way the 30th is going to be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom