• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo shares plunge 6% by Monday close after trading as low as -18%

Status
Not open for further replies.

qko

This is only good news for gamers. We get to play Nintendo games on hardware we actually like and own, and Nintendo games will finally be compared directly to other next gen games, this forcing Nintendo devs to up their game. Reality has caught up to Nintendo.

The call will then come from news outlets about why doesn't Sony and Microsoft put their software on other console. After all it would be more profitable than not right?

Mononoke

Banned
There's a significant fear that they'll go down the same path that Square and Capcom and other companies are going down with mobile, or that if they go all the way and abandon making hardware they'll become even more conservative with what they fund. Goodbye to anything like Wonderful 101 or Bayonetta 2 or Sin and Punishment 2 or any of the other billion quirky things they do simply because they can or because they need something to fill in space in the library to help move their console. No more unusual hardware or software initiatives like the Wii remote or Miiverse - they don't make the console anymore! Just Mario, Zelda, Pokemon games and spinoff games all the time. Just like Sega.

There's a charm that Nintendo has that comes with them being a purely first party developer, a distinct gaming philosophy that is not replicated anywhere else in the industry right now. And it's starting to implode and that's frightening to a lot of people who want the kind of alternative that Nintendo provides rather than have them be swept up in the trends currently gripping the industry.

Great post, and I totally understand the fear. But I feel like some people take it personally. I see nothing wrong with Nintendo putting SOME titles out on Mobile. Or having a mobile division that makes games with their brand. But I think the fear that Nintendo 100% goes mobile, is a little unfounded, seeing as Nintendo doesn't seem to want to give up on the hardware front.

They are pretty stubborn. As long as they want to compete with hardware, they aren't going to go 100% mobile, and they aren't going to release new major titles on the mobile platform. And at the very least, we know their handheld hardware is always going strong.

30518.gif

Sandfox

Mobile Mario wouldn't even do much business on IOS/Android. Platformers aren't big sellers on mobile. Pokemon would be money though.

Platformers aren't big sellers in general so Mario would probably come down to how much the name would be able to move then anything else.

Mobile Mario wouldn't even do much business on IOS/Android. Platformers aren't big sellers on mobile. Pokemon would be money though.

I think it'd do really well. The problem is that Mario is ill-suited to IAP, so the revenue would be miniscule compared to a full-price handheld game. It's why I mentioned Animal Crossing and Pokemon as games better suited for mobile.

Zornack

I hope that Nintendo comes to their senses and can adopt to the gaming world of today. A world without Nintendo hardware is a world that is a bit more sad.
I will at least get a Wii U soon, I feel that there are just about enough interesting games out and in the near future that makes it worth it for me, I hope that more people feel the same way.

I think a world without their software would suck but I really would not mind a world without their home consoles. Nothing about the Wii or the Wii U interest me, even though I've boughten both. I enjoy many of their properties but I couldn't care less about their hardware.

Their handhelds, though, those I would miss.

Your distance is: 950 yards
New record!
Try again in 1 hour
Try again now for $0.99

You know you'd love buying a Fire Flower Pack for $10.

Mibuokami

That is risky? Shouldnt nintendo proceed to buy out some of its own shares? How much money would it take for an aggressive takeover?

I don't think there has ever been a recorded case of a successful hostile takeover of a Japanese company by foreign entities. I would judge the chances of Nintendo being on the receiving end of a successful hostile takeover to be minimal to nil, the business culture is changing... but very slowly, and a takeover of this magnitude couldn't be anything but extreme and receive strong backlash.

well i'm talking about making hardware in this case. a third-party nintendo probably shouldn't make games for consoles when their audience isn't there. sony and microsoft don't court the families/kid audience so it's not worth pursuing.

and really, a third-party nintendo would be better off doing something like playstation now, a service they can promote across multiple devices. maybe sell a year subscription with a controller that plugs into a usb or something.
I guess I disagree with that...I know a lot of people who would be 100% on getting the new Mario Kart/Zelda/2D Mario/Smash were it released on their console, just my experience though...I just think for a lot of these people Nintendo's hardware keeps them from getting these games.

I agree with the subscription idea, as well.

mechphree

A proper Pokemon game with enhanced graphics would KILL on tablets and smartphones. I don't see Mario doing much unless it's a endless runner.. And even then most people will play it for 2 minutes and quit.

A proper Pokemon game with enhanced graphics would KILL on tablets and smartphones. I don't see Mario doing much unless it's a endless runner.. And even then most people will play it for 2 minutes and quit.

The social hooks of Pokemon would work much better on mobile. And it'd be really easy to build in IAP for that type of game.

Doorman

Speaking purely selfishly, I hope that Nintendo doesn't jump ship onto the mobile market. Not only because it would become that much easier for their software to become lost in the vast sea that is crappy mobile shovelware, but because I know my current phone is likely not powerful enough to adequately run anything they'd produce. People may take interest in mobile games early on for the novelty factor of "oh, Nintendo making actual mobile games!" but I think that novelty would wear off quickly, and then what have they got to stand on?

Producing games for other systems, the XBO and PS4 specifically, would be preferable, but that would come with so many technical bottlenecks that they just aren't prepared to handle right now. If they're slow on the uptake with HD development and networking features for hardware that they themselves built, how would they suddenly be able to produce quality software on competing systems and include those things?

I'm not sure what the answer is, aside from feeling like it will need to be something outside of the current popular responses (go mobile, go 3rd party, sell gamepad-less Wii Us). I think they saw potential problems and started doing a lot of these partnership games like SMT x Fire Emblem and Hyrule Warriors, but the adoption rate of the Wii U is far worse than whatever their anticipated poor sales were, I don't know where they take it from here to try and keep that console relevant. I feel like they still have to, though.

AniHawk

I guess I disagree with that...I know a lot of people who would be 100% on getting the new Mario Kart/Zelda/2D Mario/Smash were it released on their console, just my experience though...I just think for a lot of these people Nintendo's hardware keeps them from getting these games.

I agree with the subscription idea, as well.

there's really no data to suggest nintendo's games would sell well on other systems. the closest we get are games like nintendo games, and they seem to do worse than when they're on nintendo systems, like rayman and sonic. i scoff every time at the argument of 'nintendo would sell 10 million zeldas on other platforms' because there's zero evidence or effort to back it up. it belongs on the shelf with harry potter. it's made-up fantasy.

on the other hand, we know where families and kids are. it certainly isn't consoles. at least, not sony's or microsoft's.

the other issue i have is that for any realistic third-party scenario, nintendo wouldn't be planning for the ps4 and xbox one, but the ps5 and xbox 4. they would need to expand two generations worth just to make it in time for launch year (otherwise they'd be extremely late to the party on other platforms). and we have no idea what the future holds for microsoft's xbox division or sony as a whole, or if consoles will even be such a big deal five years from now. however, services are a lot more fluid, can exist on multiple platforms, and beyond generations.

Sandfox

I personally wouldn't want that because the things I like about Pokemon would be annoying to deal with on a phone.

What an awful and dishonest article title.

The title is hyperbolic in that Nintendo hasn't said that outright, but it's fine otherwise.

there's really no data to suggest nintendo's games would sell well on other systems. the closest we get are games like nintendo games, and they seem to do worse than when they're on nintendo systems, like rayman and sonic. i scoff every time at the argument of 'nintendo would sell 10 million zeldas on other platforms' because there's zero evidence or effort to back it up. it belongs on the shelf with harry potter. it's made-up fantasy.
It's why they should test that market. Nintendo has IPs that are clearly better suited for the mobile demographic, but I believe that they can also make profitable games for other consoles as well. Nintendo is big enough to do both.

JordanN

Banned
You know, it doesn't have to be Pokemon.

Game Freak could make their own mobile clone. While it's not the same IP, they're independent so they could get a head start on it.

Just a thought.

Anth0ny

And if it did, would it bother you?

sure. they'd be devoting resources to a game I'd never play.

luckily it's not going to happen. If they put Mario on iOS, it'll be this:

mario64face4is1u.gif

99 cents for luigi face
99 cents for peach face
99 cents for donkey kong face

and every minute an ad comes up telling you to buy a 3DS if you want to play a real mario game

Sandfox

Game Freak could make their own mobile clone. While it's not the same IP, they're independent so they could get a head start on it.

Just a thought.

They probably wouldn't want to risk doing anything that could potentially take away from the Pokemon brand which has more than the just the games going for it.

iMerc

Nintendo Admits The Wii U Is A Failure

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/17/nintendo-wii-u-failure-sales-flop_n_4618218.html

Pretty hilarious that this comes out a few weeks after Reggie was being grilled by Geoff and being asked "So how are the wii u sales numbers? how is Mario 3D World selling?" and Reggie was just like "good good everything is going great. Couldn't be happier!"

i don't know what the point of bring reggie up, is.
he's nothing more than a marketing spokesperson who denies what he's told to deny and says what he's told to say.

there's absolutely no sense in holding what he has to say at face value. anybody with non-dumbed down common sense would see this clear as day.

when it comes to anyone from a major hardware manufacturer, the only people you should be listening to in terms of some legitimacy is iwata from nintendo and yoshida from sony. at least these guys don't sound like a press release everytime they speak. everybody else are wankers.

Mononoke

Banned
sure. they'd be devoting resources to a game I'd never play.

luckily it's not going to happen. If they put Mario on iOS, it'll be this:

mario64face4is1u.gif

99 cents for luigi face
99 cents for peach face
99 cents for donkey kong face

and every minute an ad comes up telling you to buy a 3DS if you want to play a real mario game

That's why I try to approach these discussions from a business point of view, and not what I the consumer want. I find it really silly that we are having a discussion about a major corporations financial woes and future strategies, through the lens of you not wanting resources wasted on mobile.

They go where they money is at. Nintendo will try to do things their way for as long as they can, but eventually they are going to have to give in to varying degrees. They are in a position right now, where it's going to head that way, whether we like it or not.

Xisiqomelir

Not sure what the uproar over my post was.

I didn't care about the "Nintendo MUST go 3rd party" tone, I've been reading that on the forum since before I joined. I didn't care about the hypothetical "custody split" between the HD manufacturers because I'm really not invested in that war.

This shit though:

It will be great to play back-catalogue titles with trophies and achievements.

This shit is a ghastly fucking nightmare.

Nilaul

Just a thought.

They cant Nintendo can just veto it. They own 53% of the company.

AniHawk

It's why they should test that market. Nintendo has IPs that are clearly better suited for the mobile demographic, but I believe that they can also make profitable games for other consoles as well. Nintendo is big enough to do both.

why should they test to figure out the market isn't there? it's not like you see tomb raider on the wii u. and you don't test the market with a $30m game when your margins become much smaller.

cafemomo

i don't know what the point of bring reggie up, is.
he's nothing more than a marketing spokesperson who denies what he's told to deny and says what he's told to say.

exactly, i'm no fan of that greasy fuck, but what do you expect him to say? "the wiiu has been a failure"?

why should they test to figure out the market isn't there? it's not like you see tomb raider on the wii u. and you don't test the market with a $30m game when your margins become much smaller.

Because I think the market is actually there for certain games? Something like Zelda would work fine, that audience isn't on mobile anyway. Their margins are going to decrease no matter what they do, I'm not even sure how they could avoid that at this point.

JordanN

Banned
They cant Nintendo can just veto it. They own 53% of the company.
Proof? I don't remember Nintendo ever owning them (they made games for the Playstation and Genesis).
One of the developers (I think it was Masuda?) even said recently he was interested in making a Vita game.

Edit: Yup, it was from his blog but it was a long time ago.

Aaron

Mario is a household name.

A well-made, addictive 2D Mario endless runner? It'd be a massive hit.
IOS / Android gaming doesn't seem to care about mascots. Top of the heap are games like Minecraft, Candy Crush, Clash of Clans... what are the mascots for those? Meanwhile, the latest Mario game not only sold the worst of any mainline game, but had a lousy attach rate.

Nintendo should pull a Segagaga and make a game based on the player saving a hypothetically dying company. Fill the market with monster-battle sims and fight QA testers in Nintendo's Kyoto offices. Iwata would be the final boss with an infinite supply of auto-res potions. Yamauchi would be an optional summon.

AniHawk

Because I think the market is actually there for certain games? Something like Zelda would work fine, that audience isn't on mobile anyway. Their margins are going to decrease no matter what they do, I'm not even sure how they could avoid that at this point.

see this is the problem i have with this sort of thing. why is the market there for nintendo franchises on other platforms. where is the research to back this up. what do you have to support your argument.

see this is the problem i have with this sort of thing. why is the market there for nintendo franchises on other platforms. where is the research to back this up. what do you have to support your argument.

At the moment, the market isn't even there for Nintendo franchises on their own platform, so maybe they'll just have to take a leap of faith. That, or conduct their own research, which I presume they're doing just as matter of due diligence even if they never intend to do anything with that data.

Shiggy

I mean it's obvious that there's no market for another Wii Fit or another Wii Party on One and PS4. But the same holds true for Wii U.

For titles such as Mario Kart or a Mario platformer it's not as clear. Of course, one might say that the audience is not on One/PS4, referencing sales of Sonic or Rayman. But that neglects the very limited appeal of those two franchises: I wouldn't buy Sonic either.

What kind of evidence could I possibly supply? What are you suggesting then, that Nintendo downsize significantly and only release handheld and mobile games? I guess that could work.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls

Kinda hard to back it up when the two games with monikers of being similar to Zelda are Okami and Darksiders. We all know what happened there.

Lots of people own the other consoles, and at least a few of those people would love to play more quality games?

People who do like Nintendo games but only want one console at home and saw the Wii U disappointment coming long ago?

JCX

Nintendo can't handle HD development on its own console so it should go third party for the other two even more powerful consoles and also mobile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom