• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo shares plunge 6% by Monday close after trading as low as -18%

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

this is sort of a collection of ideas i've seen other people post.

i forgot who, but someone suggested removing the gamepad from the wii u, and that seems really fucking obvious at this point.

-they don't ever need to manufacture a gamepad ever again. just sell it as an accessory or bundle it with a game as a special deal (mario kart 8 + gamepad bundle)
-drop the price of the wii u to a profitable level. their attach ratio is right around 5 games per system, and that includes the mario or nintendoland or zelda already sold with it. so whatever mario kart and smash will cover... drop it to that. if it's $200, great. if it's $250... fine. spend some coin advertising the new price point, and patch out gamepad functionality for the games that need it.
-for the 3ds, keep making special editions, as that seems to push hardware well enough. get the 2ds out in japan so sales don't decline to below 4m for the year.
-on the mobile side, port over minigames included in larger titles (this was anth0ny's idea), like the stuff from super mario 64 ds.

solidsnakex also recommended expanding virtual console to mobile, but as part of a service that would also work on the 3ds and wii u. i think the only way it works out to start is if it's just nes titles. it would be a good way to acquaint nintendo with the idea of providing an online service as well as a physical product.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
1) Iwata's corporate strategy meeting is on the 30th. We have yet to learn what his plans are in response to the third straight year of operating losses.

2) Iwata appeased short-term investors saying "Nintendo is considering a new business structure."

3) And, it's a sure thing the stock will rise further on more anticipation, if not now, then in the future.

I agree; however, the ''market shock'' was less pronounced than I originally would of thought. This is positive news as one would of thought a bear market would of ensued.

Alot is ridding on the investors meeting on the 30th. I for one am extremely both nervous and excited at the prospects of this meeting.

It's weird, hype is mixed with sheer terror in this cauldron of emotions.

I just hope my favorite franchises live. I'd hate for Nintendo to become Capcom 2.0

Griss

1) Iwata's corporate strategy meeting is on the 30th. We have yet to learn what his plans are in response to the third straight year of operating losses.

2) Iwata appeased short-term investors saying "Nintendo is considering a new business structure."

3) And, it's a sure thing the stock will rise further on more anticipation, if not now, then in the future.

You have to imagine that Iwata doesn't give some concrete examples of a new strategy at that meeting, or engages in 'stay the course' rhetoric, then we'll see a sharp fall again.

As you say, I think the one think keeping the price as high as it is is the hope that a mobile announcement is right around the corner. If Iwata puts out that little flame... I think it could be nasty.

Gorillaz

tKQTI3d.png

my face as well

Situations like this is why I say stock prices don't mean nearly as much as people put in them as far as a company's size.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=747631.

This thread for example. Nintendo saw stocks soar over was essentially non-news, that being that China was finally relaxing their foreign console policy, which they never even publicly ackknowledged the news.

Now here comes real performance figures and the shares are tumbling. Despite this, Nintendo didn't lose any size or assets. Well they're losing liquidty of course but not actual assets.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Sony gets Metroid, Mario, Kid Icarus, Pikmin exclusives.

Microsoft gets Zelda and Pokemon exclusives.

If Steambox ever gets off the ground, they can have Sin and Punishment exclusives and the occasional Nintendo-published Silicon Knights title.

It will be great to play back-catalogue titles with trophies and achievements.

This post caused so much salt. I love it.

At this rate its inevitable something like this will happen.

Griss

i forgot who, but someone suggested removing the gamepad from the wii u, and that seems really fucking obvious at this point.

-they don't ever need to manufacture a gamepad ever again. just sell it as an accessory or bundle it with a game as a special deal (mario kart 8 + gamepad bundle)
-drop the price of the wii u to a profitable level. their attach ratio is right around 5 games per system, and that includes the mario or nintendoland or zelda already sold with it. so whatever mario kart and smash will cover... drop it to that. if it's $200, great. if it's $250... fine. spend some coin advertising the new price point, and patch out gamepad functionality for the games that need it.
-for the 3ds, keep making special editions, as that seems to push hardware well enough. get the 2ds out in japan so sales don't decline to below 4m for the year.
-on the mobile side, port over minigames included in larger titles (this was anth0ny's idea), like the stuff from super mario 64 ds.

solidsnakex also recommended expanding virtual console to mobile, but as part of a service that would also work on the 3ds and wii u. i think the only way it works out to start is if it's just nes titles. it would be a good way to acquaint nintendo with the idea of providing an online service as well as a physical product.

I always have the same issue with the 'drop the price' idea. The Wii U was selling for $200 with Skylanders and Nintendoland bundled just after Christmas. There were still stacks of the thing in stores despite that. Here in Europe we've had retailers fire sale stock and seen almost no market response. I'm just not sure what removing the gamepad to get to a lower price would do at this point when the market seems to fundamentally not want the machine at those prices WITH the gamepad.

They can leave the price where it is if it makes no difference - the challenge is to motivate consumers. Marketing and perhaps a total rebrand might do the trick, but there's always a danger that you're just throwing good money after bad.

Sandfox

This is what I was thinking Nintendo should do but I think they should try NES and Gameboy titles on mobile. The 2DS's form factor may be an issue in Japan though I don't know if it would be too successful.

What's the point of dropping the Gamepad when they have tons of them sitting in inventory that they will have to write off as a loss if they can't sell? Unless you think this will spark a large revival in sales, it seems unlikely that dropping the Gamepad would save them money.

Yes, aside from the dream scenario of Nintendo x Valve, dropping the gamepad entirely HAS to be #1 on their agenda. Make that WiiU hit $200 as soon as possible. they need to be able to say they're half the price of the next gen consoles.

The GameCube adapted a very similar strategy much later in its life to great success. The $100 GameCubes in 2004 were flying off the shelves.

Eteric Rice

I don't think anyone will be buying Nintendo. I'm pretty sure Sakaguchi's family owns the majority of the stock, so unless they budge it won't go anywhere.

Nintendo needs to come up with new ideas, though. What exactly? I don't know, but something.

Last thing they need is to go third party. I think that would kill them.

Is there a reason as to why Nintendo is even a public company?

Mr. Yamauchi wanted to expand Nintendo outside of a small Hanafuda card company.

The company registered for the Osaka Securities Exchange / Kyoto Stock Exchange in the early 1960's to realize their vision.

Since then, their company has raised significant capital, dramatically expanded and established a huge cash position with no debt.

Nintendo remains a public company because it's precedent...Nintendo is very traditional and they want to honor Mr. Yamauchi and his vision. And, it's prestigious. Despite not being included in the Nikkei 225, Nintendo is on the first section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange.

Besides that, there are business reasons to remain public for them as well.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Disney has to purchase Nintendo. Nintendo's IP's are worth a hell of a lot. The corporate strategy at Nintendo is absolutely appalling, it needs a bigger organisation that has managed to keep its IP valuable for over dozens of years to help sustain Nintendo.

Ecotic

Maybe we should all organize a "Chik-fil-A day", and designate a day to go buy Nintendo products to show our support.

Mononoke

Banned

If they can remove the game pad and sell it at $150, paired with Mario Kart and Smash next year, they could really move some units in a big way. At the very least, why not? What do they have to lose?

Seems to me, removing the game pad from the box and getting the Wii U down to a really cheap price (and continuing to appeal as the family friendly console), is the best thing thing to do with the Wii U at this point. It's like the only thing to do. Look, I like the game pad. I think it had a lot of potential. But the reality is, it's not something the company is going to be betting their company on later down the road. It's not like it's key to the future of Nintendo hardware (like the double screen was for their handheld iteration). It's time to let it go.

You have to imagine that Iwata doesn't give some concrete examples of a new strategy at that meeting, or engages in 'stay the course' rhetoric, then we'll see a sharp fall again.

As you say, I think the one think keeping the price as high as it is is the hope that a mobile announcement is right around the corner. If Iwata puts out that little flame... I think it could be nasty.

They simply won't do mobile games in any aspect that would be mistakable by any human being as a title that would otherwise appear on a Nintendo console.

Once that door is opened parents/casual audience will never turn back to buying full priced software from them. That's a huge step to take and there are hundreds of options and other things they would do first.

Disney has to purchase Nintendo. Nintendo's IP's are worth a hell of a lot. The corporate strategy at Nintendo is absolutely appalling, it needs a bigger organisation that has managed to keep its IP valuable for over dozens of years to help sustain Nintendo.

Are the IPs worth a lot to Disney? Nintendo IPs are poorly suited for films, and it'd be an expensive purchase just to make some mobile games and merchandise.

Griss

They simply won't do mobile games in any aspect that would be mistakable by any human being as a title that would otherwise appear on a Nintendo console.

Once that door is opened parents/casual audience will never turn back to buying full priced software from them. That's a huge step to take and there are hundreds of options and other things they would do first.

I agree that they won't do mobile games without trying something else. I was just looking at it from an investor's point of view.

syko de4d

No way, I don't want to see Nintendo struggle through 5+ years of trying to build an online PC infrastructure when a perfectly capable one already exists.
Thats why they should start with one single game with his own client, you know like League of Legends or Blizzard games. From this they can evolve to sth. different, don´t copy Steam or Origin be more like Blizzard. Dont try to sell other games than yours on PC. You dont need Steam to be successful on PC.

IllumiNate

Nintendo needs to stop making consoles. Their hardware is crap. It's only holding them back commercially and creatively.

Imagine the next Zelda on PS4/Xbone. It would sell 10 million copies easily. As opposed to being sent to die on a console nobody wants.

Stop making sense

Sandfox

I always have the same issue with the 'drop the price' idea. The Wii U was selling for $200 with Skylanders and Nintendoland bundled just after Christmas. There were still stacks of the thing in stores despite that. Here in Europe we've had retailers fire sale stock and seen almost no market response. I'm just not sure what removing the gamepad to get to a lower price would do at this point when the market seems to fundamentally not want the machine at those prices WITH the gamepad.

They can leave the price where it is if it makes no difference - the challenge is to motivate consumers. Marketing and perhaps a total rebrand might do the trick, but there's always a danger that you're just throwing good money after bad.
Having a significant permanent price drop could move the units that have been sitting forever and a console that cheap would probably tempt a few people to buy them for their kids or play the exclusives without having to invest a lot of money.
What's the point of dropping the Gamepad when they have tons of them sitting in inventory that they will have to write off as a loss if they can't sell? Unless you think this will spark a large revival in sales, it seems unlikely that dropping the Gamepad would save them money.

It would be better to lose money by losing the gamepad than making no money on the units at all.

AniHawk

the idea would be to actually sell the console at some level of profit, so they're not massively losing on each system. separate the gamepad from the wii u and try making it a peripheral.

i think advertising really did the trick for the wii u in the us and japan. nintendo released bundles in both regions to some fanfare, but not a whole lot. suddenly an ad campaign happens and wii u sales more than double in december in the us while everything else (aside from the 3ds) pretty much stagnates or dips in sales. an ad in the sunday paper is a lot different than a country-wide television campaign. if they did manage to get it down to $200 or so, that's where it would do some good.

unless they have already, they'll need to shut production down on the wii u. might as well kill one of the most expensive components and just hope that it sells as a bundle with high-profile games or as its own accessory.

sphagnum

Banned
This past week has been the first time that I ever legitimately feared for Nintendo's future. Depressing times.

It just pisses me off so much because I look at mobile, I look at PC, I look at Western games, I look at Xbox One and I see very little that I want to play at all. I look at PS4 and see a few things that I want to play. Vita moreso. But the only company that hits the mark almost 100% of the time for me is Nintendo and if they cave in to this mobile garbage or go third party I feel like I'm going to go nuts.

unless they have already, they'll need to shut production down on the wii u. might as well kill one of the most expensive components and just hope that it sells as a bundle with high-profile games or as its own accessory.

If they shutdown production, then there will be no savings at all because the Gamepads have already been manufactured and are sitting in a warehouse somewhere. That's my point. Cutting the Gamepad only makes sense for WiiU's that haven't been produced yet. If I thought that the Wiiu would live on for a few more years to sell 30 millions units, cutting the Gamepad would make perfect sense, but I don't think that's going to happen.

Mononoke

Banned
If they shutdown production, then there will be no savings at all because the Gamepads have already been manufactured and are sitting in a warehouse somewhere. That's my point. Cutting the Gamepad only makes sense for WiiU's that haven't been produced yet,

They can't force people to buy something they don't want. Is it better to have a bunch of Wii U's with game pads sitting in a factory not selling (and not moving any units), or better to start selling Wii U units without the game pad, and having a chance of selling a bunch.

It is what it is. They are going to have accept the loss. They made something that no one really wanted, and have to take the burn. It sucks, but that's the reality.

mo60

This past week has been the first time that I ever legitimately feared for Nintendo's future. Depressing times.

It just pisses me off so much because I look at mobile, I look at PC, I look at Western games, I look at Xbox One and I see very little that I want to play at all. I look at PS4 and see a few things that I want to play. Vita moreso. But the only company that hits the mark almost 100% of the time for me is Nintendo and if they cave in to this mobile garbage or go third party I feel like I'm going to go nuts.

I'm scared a bit to, but they will most likely be fine in the long run. At least they are thinking of a new business stragety now before they start to lose a lot of their value.

Are the IPs worth a lot to Disney? Nintendo IPs are poorly suited for films, and it'd be an expensive purchase just to make some mobile games and merchandise.

Disney also has shown a disinterest for gaming outside of their mobile titles. Not a good fit for Nintendo. Disney only wants to get royalty checks from other publishers on consoles.

ghibli99

"We believe Mario on mobile is coming."
God, only if it's Picross, Tetris Attack, or something like that. The day when my only choice to play traditional Nintendo games on a touchscreen will be a sad one, but I'd be OK if games that made sense on mobile were there, as should always be the case.

I think Nintendo keeping their handheld business going while developing for other consoles (my bet's on PlayStation) with mobile support (and my bet's on Apple there, even though I'm an Android guy) would be a pretty wise choice and safe bet.

That or ditch gimmicks like the GamePad and get serious about their hardware spec.

I agree; however, the ''market shock'' was less pronounced than I originally would of thought. This is positive news as one would of thought a bear market would of ensued.

Alot is ridding on the investors meeting on the 30th. I for one am extremely both nervous and excited at the prospects of this meeting.

I believe what saved the day here was the combination of Iwata's "We're considering a new strategy," his statement that projected dividends are safe (albeit reduced), the fact that he prolonged sharing his complete response until the 30th.

Here's a full graph of market close reaction to the news:

GqMdwlh.png

They can't force people to buy something they don't want. Is it better to have a bunch of Wii U's with game pads sitting in a factory not selling (and not moving any units), or better to start selling Wii U units without the game pad, and having a chance of selling a bunch.

It is what it is. They are going to have accept the loss. They made something that no one really wanted, and have to take the burn. It sucks, but that's the reality.

You think cutting the Gamepad is going to spark sales? I think it'd just add to the consumer confusion and general idea that the platform is dead. If they aren't going to produce many more WiiU's, then they could just slash the price and keep the Gamepad, because writing them off as an inventory loss isn't a better solution.

Idea(s)

Nintendo Direct App

No, not for the Nintendo Direct streams, but for other content. Allow people to opt in/out for various categories, but push notifications for when screens & trailers are released (and make them playable in-app if possible) for when demos and games are released, when there's an eShop are on sale or some kind of special deal (and do them more often). I mean, it's effectively what they do on their Twitter account, so I can see definite over-lap and disadvantages to it. Have a feeling they'd more likely do something like Nintendo Video on the store and push those Wind Waker HD videos to people's phones.

AR App

In Japan we have those point cards that allow you to download a free app from the eShop which lets you take photos with Mario, Pikmin, or Animal Crossing characters. Maybe they could do something similar in the West, but on smart devices instead (and without the need to buy a point card). Obviously, having more franchises represented would be better, including Pokemon.

This is only good news for gamers. We get to play Nintendo games on hardware we actually like and own, and Nintendo games will finally be compared directly to other next gen games, this forcing Nintendo devs to up their game. Reality has caught up to Nintendo.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status

I would have been inclined to agree, but they're actually making another Wreck-it-Ralph, putting Mario in the spotlight as a core part of the story. I really think it's possible to make feature films out of some of these IP.
I agree about the steep price for purchase though. But perhaps when stock goes down a lot more this might change.

Effect

This is a big reason why we aren't going to see actual games on mobile. That's a door they simply won't be able to close and it will have a cascading effect across their entire business.

What I think we might see is more interaction with their online stores, advertising, information, and lots of secondary items like the Pokedex.

The only way I see them making games for mobile is if they're completely new and made specifically for that platform. Nothing existing would appear on it other then as secondary items like listed above. So anyone thinking a Mario game will show up on iOS in playable form is crazy.

Go on ebay, a 32GB console is $100 while the gamepad is $150, what in the actual fuck.... Make that thing optional.

I find it hard to tell anymore but is this what it felt like before the Dreamcast got canned?

I'd like years of support for my Wii U but it feels less and less likely as the negative stories come in.

Is there a reason as to why Nintendo is even a public company?

Easiest way to raise funds. the trade off is that shareholders can make decisions.
Democratic and risky.

Buying back shares usually is the best of both worlds and something many companies do to keep their company in check and lessening the risk of takeover bids too.

AniHawk

I find it hard to tell anymore but is this what it felt like before the Dreamcast got canned?

I'd like years of support for my Wii U but it feels less and less likely as the negative stories come in.

before the dreamcast was canned it was more like half a decade of bad news, followed by a successful launch of the dreamcast in the us, and then its bitter and seemingly sudden end at the end of january 2001.

i wouldn't read too much into the january thing. right now the wii u is more or less comparable to the saturn, and that's when sega didn't have anything else either. they vanished from the market for about a year and a half in the us before the dreamcast came out and all the bad news surrounding that happened.

Griss

the idea would be to actually sell the console at some level of profit, so they're not massively losing on each system. separate the gamepad from the wii u and try making it a peripheral.

i think advertising really did the trick for the wii u in the us and japan. nintendo released bundles in both regions to some fanfare, but not a whole lot. suddenly an ad campaign happens and wii u sales more than double in december in the us while everything else (aside from the 3ds) pretty much stagnates or dips in sales. an ad in the sunday paper is a lot different than a country-wide television campaign. if they did manage to get it down to $200 or so, that's where it would do some good.

Fair enough. In that case I'd wait until Mario Kart 8 to drop the price, and then hit the media with a huge 'MK8 + PRICE DROP!!!!' advertising blitz.

It's sad that it's possible that Nintendo has already manufactured all of the Wii U's they'll ever need :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom