• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintento can't release a Swich PRO, And here is why

jose4gg

If they release a Switch PRO that would mean games that already exist in the current system should receive patches for the PRO version with no extra cost. Nintendo is currently trying to figure out how to sell a new console and continue to release a remastered version for $60 for it the games in the current Switch. So currently in Nintendo offices, they are analyzing when is the right time to release a new console, that can come with new remasters and they can justify the lack of free upgrades in a good manner. Once they decide how to do it, it will be possible.

wario-money-bag-greed-640x392.jpg

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I'm seeing SO many people trying so desperately to rationalize this.

What about we just make peace with the very solid possibility that Nintendo simply may not want to release a Switch pro and complicate its lineup.

Why? Because it doesn't need to.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I think they're just gonna focus on next-gen for the Switch, in terms of R&D. It's a choice they made already. There is no Switch Pro, just as there was no Wii HD. They'll update the internal specs when the time comes.

The current Switch is still selling, introducing a PRO version would have required a third mode for the games. And we already have two. It's overkill to do three.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Or maybe it’s not technically possible?
i doubt it, i think they've been lowballing the hardware since they even released the thing

(i think my english is utterly pants in that sentence but cbf rewording it aha)

I love BotW, but yeah, it's rarely a stable 30fps at 900p. I never played the wiiu version so I don't know if the drop to 720p was enough to make it stable.
i played botw on my wiiu before i quit games eheh, the visuals looked like something from 2008 but u play nintendo for gameplay and that, well, it didn't grab me either but it was legit in its way

Immortals Fenyx Rising feels like a better version of botw *thoughtfulface*

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
If they release a Switch PRO that would mean games that already exist in the current system should receive patches for the PRO version with no extra cost. Nintendo is currently trying to figure out how to sell a new console and continue to release a remastered version for $60 for it the games in the current Switch. So currently in Nintendo offices, they are analyzing when is the right time to release a new console, that can come with new remasters and they can justify the lack of free upgrades in a good manner. Once they decide how to do it, it will be possible.

wario-money-bag-greed-640x392.jpg

100% agree. Wouldn’t have a few years ago though

Tschumi

My equally valid take on what Nintendo is doing:

They're trying to entirely detach themselves from the competition with Sony and Microsoft... if the pillars holding up gaming are graphics, gameplay, brand and value, they've decided to push gameplay and their legendary brand ahead of the rest whereas Sony and Microsoft just try to max it all out.

So, what I'm saying is, I think they won't release a Switch Pro because it's not necessary for their business model, they don't give a shit about presenting Mario in 4k, he's solid colours with some sheen.... and it would be a further concession to the 'progression' narrative imposed by Sony and Microsoft

In summary, I don't think we'll see another Switch system, we'll just see another evolution and gimmick. Wii > WiiU > Switch, this progression is very clear across this span... they wanted to have a more interactive control input; they wanted to introduce some kind of portability of game alongside interaction without sacrificing console power; the miniaturized a console into a tablet and finally got it right. I guess the next thing they're gonna do is ... I have no idea, I'm not as creative as them, maybe it'll be a type of VR, or maybe it will be an entirely stream-based delivery system that's very convenient to carry around and can achieve - shock horror! - 1080p...

93xfan

Banned
Most you guys are on your own little bubble, believing other people are obsess about "graphics" as much you guys are, the reality is faaaaar from the truth.

I agree to some extent. Their greediness of late has made me extra critical of them and less wanting to consider purchases on their system.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Immortals Fenyx Rising feels like a better version of botw *thoughtfulface*
It's definitely got a great visual design but it doesn't quite grab me personally like BotW. Still it's a great game and I can totally see what you mean. That one Uplay feature where it covers the map in other people's random screenshots is horrific though.

Does performance vary whether it's in docked mode or not?
It's better docked for sure. I think in both resolution and fps, but still not a stable 30 by any means.

kunonabi

The real issue is the Switch riddled with QC issues, the joycons and dock especially, and in three revisions they haven't done shit to fix them.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I agree to some extent. Their greediness of late has made me extra critical of them and less wanting to consider purchases on their system.
I’m simple man, if they have the games I want then I will buy their system.

Tschumi

It's definitely got a great visual design but it doesn't quite grab me personally like BotW. Still it's a great game and I can totally see what you mean. That one Uplay feature where it covers the map in other people's random screenshots is horrific though.
I'm delighted to say I didn't encounter that xP
Understand what you mean about getting grabbed. I can only say that I played about 4 hours of Immortals to about 40 minutes of BOTW... but that was partially my RL's fault

Justin9mm

The problem is more power would make it too easy to port games from other consoles. Imagine if the best version of the next Battlefield was best on Switch? It would anger too many people. Nintendo want to maintain the harmony. Please understand.
Yeah that is not the problem and would never happen.

Any potential new switch would probably not be more powerful then OG PS4, probably not even Pro. It's just not possible in such a small device at a reasonable production cost.

coffinbirth

Huh?
Not sure I follow you there, bud. Nintendo doesn't really do patches so much as actual content updates, so if they were to do anything even remotely like you are suggesting, they probably wouldn't be charging for what amounts to a simple config update. So, heartily disagree with OP.

On the topic of such things.... All they had to do was put a better cooling solution in place and raise the clock speeds to where they freaking already should be. That would probably help iron out the majority of poorly running games, and would require the most minimal of patching for some games, and likely none at all for most of them. But Nintendo gonna Nintendo.

Anyone that thought they were going to release some exotic SoC with tensor cores for DLSS and 4K and all that...at this point in the consoles lifecycle(i.e. sales figures still haven't waned)were in la la land.
Soooo, yeeeaaaahhhh.

jigglet

Banned
Yeah that is not the problem and would never happen.

Any potential new switch would probably not be more powerful then OG PS4, probably not even Pro. It's just not possible in such a small device at a reasonable production cost.
/woosh

supernova8

Banned
It's not that they can't do it. It's more likely they are pretty happy with their current model which is using very old (and therefore cheap) components and therefore netting them healthy profit margins. Said model is still selling like hot cakes so why would they bother?

Plus, the last time they tried to (sort of) chase mainstream processing power was with the Gamecube and then Wii U - both of which didn't do very well. The slew of third party games that have ended up on Switch (when people would think they would never come to Switch) shows that money talks. I bet even if Nintendo had a more powerful console, they wouldn't get much more support than they have now because it would end up on a completely different architecture than what XBSX and PS5 is on (ie ARM not x86).

Feels like people want/expect Nintendo to compete with Sony and Microsoft while knowing, deep in their heart of hearts, that Nintendo is never, ever going to go back to that.

stop no GIF by Elijah and Christine
david oyelowo no GIF by Team Coco

alyssa edwards GIF

SJRB

Gold Member

What about we just make peace with the very solid possibility that Nintendo simply may not want to release a Switch pro and complicate its lineup.

I agree. What incentive does Nintendo have to upgrade their hardware when the Switch sells like gangbusters even with its sub-par specs and there's zero competition?

There's literally no reason to make that kind of investment and the new Switch is proof of that.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
No, a Pro patch have nothing to do with remasters.
It's the same with PS4, improved PS4 games on the Pro as well as remasters.

Last edited:

LMJ

I think you hit the nail on the head...

MS released the X so they wouldn't lose market or mindshare (and to take back the power crown) Sony did the same and to compete with the PC market. Nintendo has the luxury of being the only gaming competitor on the market who is seen solely as a gaming company, and on top of that the Switch is still selling like fire and has swallowed the Japanese console market (which even Sony who owned it at one point gave up on) whole.

I think Nintendo is quite content right now (well at least once Nintendo land opens again lol)

THEY CERTAINLY AREN'T HURTING FOR MONEY

Super Mario Nintendo GIF

reksveks

Their previous consoles have shown that they aren't too bothered by complicated lineups.

I think the oled thing is a bit more of a supply issue as well as the lack of the proper pro model.

MrA

even though I'd like a swith pro, even if they were planning one, I think the current chip shortage would make it a scalpers dream

Esteldan

Most you guys are on your own little bubble, believing other people are obsess about "graphics" as much you guys are, the reality is faaaaar from the truth.

I disagree with this. Publishers market their games mostly around graphics and set pieces because Normies are more likely to be drawn in by that.

If marketing around those things achieved no success we wouldn't have seen game development costs blow up like they have.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I disagree with this. Publishers market their games mostly around graphics and set pieces because Normies are more likely to be drawn in by that.

If marketing around those things achieved no success we wouldn't have seen game development costs blow up like they have.
And yet Switch selling like crazy and both Sony and Microsoft rely on cross gen games. Most people both gamers and casuals care about actual game rather than going to DF thread and obsessing over frames and pixels like you see in game forums.

G Boaty

Banned

I agree with you that they don't need to, but complicating their line up is sort of Nintendo's thing when it comes to their handhelds.

DS
- DS
- DS Lite
- DSi
- DSi XL

3DS
- 3DS
- 2DS
- New 3DS
- New 2DS XL

Last edited:

No they need to or they will be in a situation like Wii to PS3 and 360 without gimmicks to sell their games. When people say "Switch Pro" we dont mean a half step. We mean a "Switch 2" for all intents and purposes. We mean a system that plays all games on Switch 1 that get enhanced for Switch 2 and later on take over as the main model to maximize sales of games and reduce the low sales of starting a new gen.

There is no switch pro nvida has no soc that nintendo needs, and nintendo are not going to pay nvida to design a new one, deal with nvidia was short sighted, as nivdia are no longer investing in mobile soc, in a few years Nintendo will be forced to pay nvidas asking price or there won't be any BC one switch 2.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Remember back when Mass Effect: Andromeda released? It got endlessly mocked for every little graphical glitch people could find.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild launched around the same time, and it wasn’t even in the same league as Andromeda with respect to graphics and production values. It probably cost an order of magnitude less to produce.

Nintendo doesn’t want their games to be held to the same standards as modern AAA games.

Top Bottom