• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NISA releasing Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls (PSVita) in Fall

JoJoSono

Banned
Everyone is excited about this game because of the story, the gameplay sounds fine but it's not the reason anyone is excited about this game.
Ok....

I don't like visual novels because I don't like looking at just static images with the occasional puzzle. The fact that this one has gameplay that I may not mind plus a story is what makes it more appealing then the others.

Vylash

Ok....

I don't like visual novels because I don't like looking at just static images with the occasional puzzle. The fact that this one has gameplay that I may not mind plus a story is what makes it more appealing then the others.
wait, have you not played the others?

GoldStarz

1) Having seen a playthrough, I'm totally excited for the gameplay. I mean it's a puzzle shooter, this gonna be hella fun.

2) If you haven't played the other games, you might get lost kinda fast. I'd suggest at least reading up on the other games first.

Ok....

There is zero reason to play this if you have not played the others.

The Danganronpa series is not typical for VNs (a lot of genre-blending going on and a presentation unlike any other in the genre), but if it's still not for you, I would just ignore this.

GoldStarz

I wouldn't say zero reason, really that mentality will only close off the series from newcomers and cause it to ultimately die out.

Tohsaka

I wouldn't say zero reason, really that mentality will only close off the series from newcomers and cause it to ultimately die out.

Newcomers should absolutely not start with this game, it has spoilers for both the first and second game and the series is very story-heavy.

Producer

Is there anything remotely censor-worthy in this game?

Cause you know NISA will jump at the chance to remove stuff so that the children browsing the vita section at gamestop won't be scarred for life.

Shizuka

There's no point in jumping into the middle of a story

But if it's that or not playing it at all, I wouldn't be against just going with this. It's like starting to watch a show mid-season: you'll miss a lot of things, but you'll get your way around eventually.

It's a spin-off in a story-driven franchise. This isn't something like Final Fantasy Tactics where you don't have to be a fan of the series to appreciate it or anything like that.

We're just being honest here.

GoldStarz

Cause you know NISA will jump at the chance to remove stuff so that the children browsing the vita section at gamestop won't be scarred for life.

Only thing they could remove without upsetting the plot is the 'Tickle Machine' e-e

Ok....

I'm just saying that there's little to no point on playing this game if you haven't played the first 2.

GoldStarz

Newcomers should absolutely not start with this game, it has spoilers for both the first and second game and the series is very story-heavy.

Like SDR2 and /Zero had spoilers for DR1. Honestly, I get the story is heavy, but all you really need to do is read a synopsis or two and you should be up to speed. I mean, it's not like the game doesn't explain itself anyway, there's the whole segment where
the Future Foundation explain to Komaru exactly what the hell is going on with the world.
Yes, the series is very continuity heavy, but it's far from as unbreachable like saying someone has no reason to play the game implies.

Yasumi

Banned

Yeah, it tackles some themes most games wouldn't prod with a 25 foot pole.
Child molestation, pedophilia, sexual manipulation/abuse between grade schoolers, physical and psychological abuse, probably some other things I'm forgetting.
However, they kind of need to be there because they're major backstory, character motivation, and plot points for the cast. NISA PR has apparently said they have no intention of censoring it.

Diablos54

Like SDR2 and /Zero had spoilers for DR1. Honestly, I get the story is heavy, but all you really need to do is read a synopsis or two and you should be up to speed.
Reading and experiencing the story for itself are 2 very very different things. So much of the impact the story has would be lost in a synopsis due to the lack of character interaction for a start!

FluxWaveZ

Reading and experiencing the story for itself are 2 very very different things. So much of the impact the story has would be lost in a synopsis due to the lack of character interaction for a start!

It's very much like Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth, in that way. Still, if it's a good game on its own, it can attract newcomers to the series, like the Persona spin-off games did.

GoldStarz

I never said they weren't, but if this person really hates VNs, then they're not gonna wanna sit through 2 several-hour long ones, even if he's just watching a walkthrough.

JoJoSono

Banned
I figure you can just read a story summary for the first two games.

I mean I've played and seen many things out of order. Hell, I played MGS2 before any of the others. Don't see why you can't read up on things.

I mean I've played and seen many things out of order. Hell, I played MGS2 before any of the others. Don't see why you can't read up on things.

I'd argue MGS spoilers aren't as big a deal as there are no MASSIVE reveals that change everything, at least in the first game. It's arguable if that sticks as the series goes on (I wouldn't want people getting spoiled over plot elements in 4).

With Danganronpa, part of its entire reputation revolves around googling NOTHING about the games because of spoilers. I mean, they are mystery games. People will tell you the exact same thing with stuff like 999/VLR/Phoenix Wright/etc.

Seriously though, in AE, you're going to be looking at a lot of static portraits just like in any other VN. More than actually doing any puzzles or shooting IIRC. The game is 100% made for fans of the franchise to the point of not entirely abandoning its genre roots.

Feel free to buy it anyway if you have no intention of ever playing the other two, but I'd hate to see you grow interested enough in the plot/lore only to be disappointed that you spoiled yourself, thus making going back much less effective than had you played them first.

TP

What a sad way to experience Danganronpa
you might as well give the anime a chance

I haven't seen it myself but surely it's better that reading up on Wikipedia

Vylash

What a sad way to experience Danganronpa
you might as well give the anime a chance

I haven't seen it myself but surely it's better that reading up on Wikipedia
the anime is terrible, in no way is it an acceptable substitute for Trigger Happy Havoc

AniHawk

i don't think there's any aspect of the game that has the player sexually abusing children, so it's probably fine to release unchanged.

NotLiquid

I'm wondering if the game will be censored in any way or at least slightly altered in localization. Having watched a stream of the Japanese version, certain elements of the game seemed extreme even by Danganronpa standards.

Either way I'm super excited.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, it'd hard to think what else we'd get aside from the OST & artbook. DR2 was great with the Monocoin & sunglasses.

I just hope it's only $10 to $20 more like with the previous DR LEs.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
To all the people that didn't buy Danganronpa because they are VNs... they are not, or at least not pure visual novels, there's a lot of gameplay, there's 3d first person exploration of the school/island in your free time and talk with others, you investigate searching for evidences and interrogate others when a homicide takes place and in the trial there's a lot to do too.

They are also very fast paced games, you have always something to do and you never find yourself bored or waiting for something to happen, their pace is extremely great.

I don't buy pure visual novels myself, but i love Danganronpas because they have a good dose of gameplay, don't miss them because the games are really great with lots of twists and emotions, reading about them or watching the uber terrible anime would be a very bad idea.

If you are not convinced wait for a sale, but don't skip Danganronpa 1 & 2.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I guess I should add to 2+2=5's statement that DR1 & 2 are on sale for one more day, as DR1 is $24 & DR2 is $27 on PSN. Also yeah, these have MUCH more gameplay than your average VN. Heck, there's more "gameplay" compared to, say, Ace Attorney, another series I enjoy.

vato_loco

I need this because of so many reasons!!!!!!

I JUST finished Dangan 2 and I'm hyped as ass for this. Persona 4 Dancing All Night and this one are more than enough reason to own a Vita!

I assume you've already played DR1, right?

Yes, Sir, yes I did. And I enjoyed it a lot! So I am really looking forward to playing Part 2 und Despair Girls of course :-D.

But it is my very first Persona game! Malheuresement, Persona 3 hasn't been discounted in quite a while (here in Germany, that is).

LiK

Yes, Sir, yes I did. And I enjoyed it a lot! So I am really looking forward to playing Part 2 und Despair Girls of course :-D.

But it is my very first Persona game! Malheuresement, Persona 3 hasn't been discounted in quite a while (here in Germany, that is).

oh man, you are in for a treat

344f148238488166e812cae596a2217438e87396929acf3ec0df24ebcc6262dc.jpg

Top Bottom