• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Rest for the Wicked - Official Steam Early Access Launch Trailer (April 18)

Fredrik

Awesome, thanks man. And yeah the perspective is not at all a problem for me. Played a lot of games like that over the years, and it feels fresh since not too many do it now. Zero complaints about the visuals in general.
Sidenote, if you don’t have a PC but get desperate to try it there might still be a way. The launch trailer showed a Geforce Now logo beside Steam. I used to try some games that way before I had a RTX card. Latency is roughly 1 frame if your internet is good and you don’t live too far away from the closest server.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Sidenote, if you don’t have a PC but get desperate to try it there might still be a way. The launch trailer showed a Geforce Now logo beside Steam. I used to try some games that way before I had a RTX card. Latency is roughly 1 frame if your internet is good and you don’t live too far away from the closest server.
Good to know. I'm still just on console. Waiting to see what happens with the upcoming consoles before deciding which way to go. Still saving up for either PC or whatever this mystery Xbox thing is (possibly some kind of PC?). And Switch 2.

I'm fine with complete builds that are early access but really have no interest in starting a game that isn't content complete. Not really my thing.

I’ll be posting impressions for sure and I know we sometimes like similar games 👍 Going by videos I love the perspective, I see some The Ascent in there, a zoomed out camera is one of my favorite things in general in action games, unfortunately it’s rare. Not sure if they have an auto targetting mechanic or twin stick aiming though. Twin stick would be perfection.
2 more days!
I'm pretty sure they said either controller is the default, or you can't even use mouse and keyboard. Basically, the combat system was made for controllers.

Fredrik

Good to know. I'm still just on console. Waiting to see what happens with the upcoming consoles before deciding which way to go. Still saving up for either PC or whatever this mystery Xbox thing is (possibly some kind of PC?). And Switch 2.

I'm fine with complete builds that are early access but really have no interest in starting a game that isn't content complete. Not really my thing.
I understand your thinking on both subjects.

I jumped head first into PC gaming awhile back, my new living room PC is my new Xbox and Playstation and I’ve more or less retired the consoles. So far it’s been awesome but expensive. It’ll suck to wait for Stellar Blade but I have many other games to play so it should be okay once the worst FOMO has passed near launch.

Regarding Early Access, I usually don’t do that either, but Moon is one of my fav studios and this looks super polished so I’ll follow them on this journey.

Fredrik

I'm pretty sure they said either controller is the default, or you can't even use mouse and keyboard. Basically, the combat system was made for controllers.
I know but there are many ways to do controls on controllers. Since the camera don’t rotate I think 360-degree twin stick aiming would be fantastic, at least for ranged attacks. But melee souls combat works best with auto targetting so we’ll see.

Buggy Loop

Ori WotW is 4 years old, how the fuck they releasing an Early Access game with 1 chapter and missing multiplayer? What exactly have they been doing for half a decade?

You think they’re just at chapter 1 conceptually and no work is done for the rest?

Oh wait, there’s a roadmap

NRFTW_EARoadmap_Steam_EN.png

And, maybe, just maybe, they’re restricting to ch1 because they want to focus testing and debugging on the fundamentals of the game rather than having every bugs documented 3 - 4 times for all modes and chapters? Just a thought on typical internal game development..

Reallink

You think they’re just at chapter 1 conceptually and no work is done for the rest?

Oh wait, there’s a roadmap

NRFTW_EARoadmap_Steam_EN.png

And, maybe, just maybe, they’re restricting to ch1 because they want to focus testing and debugging on the fundamentals of the game rather than having every bugs documented 3 - 4 times for all modes and chapters? Just a thought on typical internal game development..

Even worse than I was expecting and insinuating. This is absolutely meaningless without a corresponding release calendar (that's actually adhered to). Every one of these "updates" could be a year+ apart....which they probably are based on the fact only one of them seems to be actual tangible content they can name. Certainly not the most compelling evidence they're using early access as a "focus/beta test" for an already or nearly completed game, as you're suggesting.

Last edited:
Definitely going to wait on early reviews but interested.

I don't mind early access for small studios if they are putting in the work and the initial game is more or less feature complete with the commitment it is going to be added to for no extra money. I do mind when it's barebones and what's there is trash. But if it's solid, workable state, and a smaller studio trying to get it out there for interest and more capital - I can be swayed easily.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Even worse than I was expecting and insinuating. This is absolutely meaningless without a corresponding release calendar (that's actually adhered to). Every one of these "updates" could be a year+ apart....

Internally, Take two's fiscal report said it's Q1 2025. Even with early access affecting the timeline depending on feedback, publishers aren't blindly financing games that just suddenly only have ch1 and years+ apart for the rest of the content from a tentative release.

But let's just go full drama, year+ apart updates

Sassy Drama Queen GIF

which they probably are based on the fact only one of them seems to be actual tangible content they can name.

Since when early access they even give the details of these?

It's like more armor, more weapons, more zones, more dungeons, etc. 🤷‍♂️

Certainly not the most compelling evidence they're using early access as a "focus/beta test" for an already or nearly completed game, as you're suggesting.

No compelling evidence they're using early access as a focus/beta test, when they say in their showcase "over the course of the Early access we'll be tweaking patching and balancing the game with your input"

I mean all this conversation for what, by starting that you're entitled to something more than early access after 4 years? Really?

Fredrik

Complaints are weird, they’ve said it’s early access and price is lower, so be part of it or wait, that’s the choices available here, this isn’t a new thing.
Would you rather have a full price release lacking content getting crap review scores and a multi year repair plan or closed studio?

Goalus

I mean all this conversation for what, by starting that you're entitled to something more than early access after 4 years? Really?
Maybe he is afraid that a Moon Studios employee will come visit him, point a gun at him and force him to buy the game while it's in early access. Are they known for such tactics (genuine question)?

Last edited:
I just love our dynamic Time of Day / Weather and the feeling of being immersed in our world with the beautiful volumetric lighting, Curved World rendering (so you see much further into the distance while remaining top down) and this dense inter-connected level design with so much verticality in the main town of Sacrament in @wickedgame.

Nothing like a romantic stroll at sunset in HDR! Can't wait to share more on that tomorrow!

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Wait this is going INTO Early Access? I thought it was going OUT of Early Access....welp I'll see you guys in a few years when it comes out of Early Access.

gothmog

Gold Member
Complaints are weird, they’ve said it’s early access and price is lower, so be part of it or wait, that’s the choices available here, this isn’t a new thing.
Would you rather have a full price release lacking content getting crap review scores and a multi year repair plan or closed studio?
People are complaining because it's a bit steep for EA given the content available at launch. If it was $20-30 I don't think there would be as many complaints.

KXVXII9X

People are complaining because it's a bit steep for EA given the content available at launch. If it was $20-30 I don't think there would be as many complaints.
I'm not sure how long the game is but Larian Studios did Early Access with both Divinity Original Sin 2 and BG3 with just 1 chapter and they were all fairly meaty. I remember them costing over $40 too for EA.

Luipadre

My purchase depends on the content at the start, if this is like 2-3 hour of content, then im good until it comes out from EA

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
I'm not sure how long the game is but Larian Studios did Early Access with both Divinity Original Sin 2 and BG3 with just 1 chapter and they were all fairly meaty. I remember them costing over $40 too for EA.
I would say both of those were incredibly meaty. I'm waiting to hear from some early adopters when it goes live before I purchase as it seems more like a demo than an EA.

Exentryk

This is looking good. Still haven't finished DD2, so can't jump in day 1, but will buy it anyway for the cheaper price now and start playing when I can.

Love the Ori games, so keen to see how they fare in a new genre.

KXVXII9X

I would say both of those were incredibly meaty. I'm waiting to hear from some early adopters when it goes live before I purchase as it seems more like a demo than an EA.
Definitely doesn't hurt to wait for what early adopters say!

Havoc2049

The game looks amazing! I'm in!

Ori WotW is 4 years old, how the fuck they releasing an Early Access game with 1 chapter and missing multiplayer? What exactly have they been doing for half a decade?
In this day and age of long dev times, 4 years is moving pretty quick, especially for a RPG and a new IP.

Fredrik

In this day and age of long dev times, 4 years is moving pretty quick, especially for a RPG and a new IP.
Yup.
I saw a X post by one of the devs that they’ve worked on it for 6 years. Makes me think that MS payed some of those early dev bills 🫢

Freeman76

So it will be two weeks before 1.0 drops? Because it says this on the Steam profile:

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
We are planning on a discounted price during Early Access that will then increase once the game hits 1.0 / leaves Early Access. If you purchase during Early Access, you will not need to make an additional purchase at 1.0 release.”

Am I misunderstanding something here? I really doubt this will be in early access for two weeks, 1.0 is the full release of the game, right?
The guy who runs this company is an outwardly antagonistic and arrogant moron. He genuinely thinks he is the best thing thats happened to the gaming industry and it wouldnt surprise me if charged 100 for this one and expected us to be grateful

Porticus

The guy who runs this company is an outwardly antagonistic and arrogant moron. He genuinely thinks he is the best thing thats happened to the gaming industry and it wouldnt surprise me if charged 100 for this one and expected us to be grateful

Sure dude, you are the one being arrogant pissing on a developer because they are gonna raise the price after the game leave EA like everyone else.

Goalus

Are you a special individual?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I'm at work or I would have bought it already. Steam reviews are "Mixed" right now, with most of the negatives pointing towards shitty performance, even on top end machines.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Some of the Steam reviews confirmed my main concern, it's a Souls-like played from an ARPG perspective.

Deeper combat that involves parrying and learning enemy attacks doesn’t make a game “souls like” imo.
Now if they copied the souls formula with bonfires and health flasks and weird shit you don’t know what to do with without a guide - then I’d say it’s “souls like”.

Top Bottom