• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nor'easter expected to hit DC, NYC, Boston Monday night to Tuesday night

Status
Not open for further replies.
2ljXXc0.jpg

To the left... No snow. To the right... All the snow.

I live in Pittsburgh.

I literally woke up to less snow on the ground today than there was this time, yesterday.

As I expected. This is like the third time they were going all nuts about getting snow but it's barely an inch or two. I swear they do this to get people to buy stuff from stores. It's all a scam.

Yeah....it's not like they are trying to warn people of a possible storm so they are stocked up and not freaking out the day the storm actually happens putting themselves at risk to get items to make it through ok. It's all a scam. Sorry you have extra bread and milk now.

How people really feel this way is beyond me.

Slush and rain in my location. But of course all the people freaking out last night means there's no work this morning. So I get to sit on my Switch and crank through some Shrine puzzles on Zelda.

Dun matter, gettin' paid.

Apt101

Dropped a lot of rain on me in Virginia Beach. Nothing out of the normal for the season, though, just sucks when it's a cold rain.

Absolutely nasty at 9 am here in northern NJ. I was in the hot zone that was calling for 24 inches. It's looking on pace, for sure.

Staying home and working from home. And when I saw working from home, I mean playing Zelda.

hythloday

Work was cancelled for me, and we're getting a lot of sleet. The trees have a nice coating of ice on them. It's pretty, but the lights have flickered a couple times and I hope we don't lose power!

Fatalah

All I hear is the sound of someone throwing a Slushie at my window. Going on for like the last few hours.

What a disappointment!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Well I'm in central Jersey and there is not much snow to be seen. It was snowing hard last night but it seems to have stopped entirely.

TyrantII

As I expected. This is like the third time they were going all nuts about getting snow but it's barely an inch or two. I swear they do this to get people to buy stuff from stores. It's all a scam.

It's almost like storms don't stay put.

I dodged a bullet up in Boston, our totals look like they dropped. Meanwhile Western MA went from 10 inches to 30. Looks like they won the jackpot on this wobbly storm.

Falchion

Got some of the rain from this but mainly just had to deal with 50 mph winds last night. I'm a few blocks from the beach and I had my window cracked and wind would just come tearing in my room.

ruxtpin

Banned
Conshy PA, sleeting pretty heavy. Supposed to fly tomorrow morning, but still no updates from Delta. So I guess that means I have to get out in it later to clear off my car. Meh

Looks like a dud for NYC then?
We're still supposedly getting 20" in central Mass, but I'm hoping it's also a dud here... If NYC was projected for 14 inches and got 4, I'm hoping we're projected for 20" and get 8.

ccbfan

Westchester County (Hudson Line) reporting here and there's already 6 inches and we haven't gotten to the heavy stuff yet according to forecast.

Luckily it's work at home day and have some sous vide burgers and trillium melcher street to warm my wife and I up.

I don't think it's a conspiracy/scam to get you to buy stuff, but I do think that news stations hype up storms to get ratings. One will say 8 inches based on the NAtional weather service, then another will say 8-10 (technically still true if it's 8 inches...), then another will take that and say 8-12, and then once one of them breaks that 12" prediction, it blows the doors open and you have others saying 10 - 16". I'd imagine the news station that predicts the wildest weather will probably get the best ratings during winter storms... like "CBS IS SAYING 14 INCHES!" and everybody turns it to CBS to see how they're explaining it.

But that's just my hunch.

This storm is still a major storm for the east coast, just not NYC it seems. Be thankful. Snow sucks and is dangerous.

I'm flying to Boston from Ireland on Thursday. What are the chances it'll be cancelled?

Should be about zero chances. I'd expect flights to be back to normal by Wednesday, and Thursday should totally be fine, just inconvenient with parking, etc.

It's always great when you go to bed expecting 6" of snow overnight and you wake up to the sound of cars flying by on wet roads. Haha.

Schmitty

Looks like a dud for NYC then?
We're still supposedly getting 20" in central Mass, but I'm hoping it's also a dud here... If NYC was projected for 14 inches and got 4, I'm hoping we're projected for 20" and get 8.
It is a dud compared to the original forecast. News says to only expect 6 - 8 inches with the wintry mix.

Damn, I've never seen a blizzard get downgraded so fast where I live. 10-14inches downgraded to 1-3 in the span of 5 hours.

Fine with me, just let the rain wash it all away, I got my WFH day out of it. Bring on Spring!

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Not a ton of snow here, but looks like a decent amount of ice. They were calling for 12-18 inches. Looks like we maybe got 2.

Philly is an ice storm now.

Only a couple inches of snow fell overnight, but everything is covered with ice and sleet.

Our power has been flickering off and on all morning. Trees and branches have been coming down all around town.

A wintery mix of 4-5 inches of rain can be more of an issue where I am (Jersey Coast) than a 8-10" storm. As much as snow can be a burden it's a much easier piece of mind than 30-40mph winds and driving freezing rain.

As always. For once I'd like NYC to get the blizzard we are promised. But ever damn time we avoid it at the last minute-_-

We got the record snowfall for a storm last year.

Yeah....it's not like they are trying to warn people of a possible storm so they are stocked up and not freaking out the day the storm actually happens putting themselves at risk to get items to make it through ok. It's all a scam. Sorry you have extra bread and milk now.

How people really feel this way is beyond me.

Yes but some of us can't afford to do emergency food runs either every time there is a " blizzard of the century" barreling down on us. There is no need to put people in a frenzy.

ccbfan

Just checked NYC and the forecast. WTF there's a 10 inch difference in snow totals and we're like 15 miles apart.

Nexas

Outside of DC, and it doesn't look like more than a couple of inches. I'm from the Gulf Coast and have no real experience with driving in this kinda weather. Should I bother driving into work today?

Amir0x

Banned
still coming down.

going to be like the old days when we jump out the second or third floor window into the snow :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom