• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North Dakota Governor Orders Standing Rock evacuation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I see all these arguments going back and forth. Everyone is trying to make their points and there are some decent arguments, but when it all comes down to it, aren't we trying to get away from fossil fuels? Who does this pipeline benefit? Is it worth the fight? Is it worth the cost? If so many are compelled to stand together to stop this from moving forward isn't that reason enough to re-evaluate? Personally I feel the environmental cost of this is far too great a risk.

Maybe I need some more information? Can someone please explain to me what is so beneficial about having this pipeline? I get that it will create some jobs and there are those who stand to make a fortune somewhere, but does this actually do anything beneficial for our country as a whole? Is this going to end poverty? Is this going to make healthcare magically affordable? What does this do for us?

The pipeline will be a step forward in energy independence. Like it or not, oil will be a staple of energy for a good time to come. Getting more crude oil domestically will be a step towards energy independence, removing our reliance on crude oil from foreign countries that support terrorist regimes.

I wonder if the tribe could think about legal action concerning the 1851 treaty.

This article does a good job of explaining how the tribe does have a legitimate case.

http://m.bismarcktribune.com/news/s...cle_e9bd6a47-e14e-507e-bb0a-8ee29eb30c9e.html
Grant Christensen, an assistant professor at the University of North Dakota School of Law, said he hasn’t reviewed the two Fort Laramie treaties close enough to give an opinion on any legal standing related to them. But, he explained the Supremacy Clause of the U.S. Constitution makes any treaty the “supreme law of the land" and the terms of treaties remain in place unless specifically repealed by Congress.

The U.S. Supreme Court also has held that subsequent treaties do not do away with an earlier treaty unless the new treaty specifically addresses and removes the terms of the older treaty, he said.

An example is a 1999 Supreme Court case called Minnesota v. Mille Lacs Band of Chippewa Indians, in which the Mille Lacs Band successfully argued they never lost the right to hunt and fish on lands laid out in an 1837 treaty despite an 1855 treaty that made their reservation smaller, Christensen said.

Only white people live in Bismarck huh? It was rejected because it would've required 10 more miles of pipe under water and wetlands than the current location, thus deemed more dangerous. Im pretty sure you just read headlines though.

And no method of transporting oil is completely safe from spills, but pipeline is far and away less dangerous than using trucks or rail cars to move all that oil.

Isn't the point of taking issue with this routing though the more severe contamination that would result from an accident using this method rather than the simple statistical likelihood of an accident?

Enzom21

Or do you think that being black is the only minority to experience widespread discrimination and persecution?

I guarantee that poster doesn't give a shit about black people or the civil rights movement.
That "How dare you compare ___ to the civil rights movement" nonsense is often used as a silencing tactic by people who don't care about either of the two things.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Your an expert on pipelines are you? Or are you just reading into propaganda from the protestors side.
0mw1I8e.gif

And everyone here circle Jerks obama.
Fuck him.

People are bizarrely trying to defend him by suggesting that the only reason he won't do anything is because Trump will undo it

Like this all happened only after Trump got elected, and not all while Hillary was the presumptive president

Or like I guess ANYTHING Obama does these days

Jackpot

Banned
Maybe stop spreading false information since this was not confirmed to be done by police, it just as likely could be from home made weapons the protestors were making.

Maybe educate yourself. The police claimed that because they found a small punctured propane tank that is used in camping, that protesters must have been constructing IEDs. Propane tanks don't explode if punctured and that much propane would do jackshit to anyone. Not to mention the fact that if bombs were being made instead of it just being a feeble deflection there'd be a serious investigation.

How do people stay this uninformed? Wilful ignorance?

Cipherr

Maybe educate yourself. The police claimed that because they found a small punctured propane tank that is used in camping, that protesters must have been constructing IEDs. Propane tanks don't explode if punctured and that much propane would do jackshit to anyone. Not to mention the fact that if bombs were being made instead of it just being a feeble deflection there'd be a serious investigation.

Willful ignorance. They addressed him directly on the claim about it being a propane tank and he strafed away from the conversation as a whole directly into "Well you should do what you are told and you wouldnt end up hurt".

Its all complete horseshit.

This thread and the general lack of empathy for what the protesters and natives are going through is beyond sad. After all the donations and support, I know corporate interests will still win at the end of the day. And not enough people care.

I love when people say get educated without being informed themselves, if you honestly have no idea what a propane bomb is, Google it. Not hard to make. I honestly have no idea if that's what it was but neither does anyone else because there is no evidence for either side. I support this pipeline for the jobs it will add/keep in ND. You all apparently have a better view of the scenario then someone who lives 20 miles from what is happening, seen the camp/protests, and reads/hears what's happening daily. Pipeline will be built and that's a fact. Thinking it won't be is "willful ignorance".

guek

Banned
I love when people say get educated without being informed themselves, if you honestly have no idea what a propane bomb is, Google it. Not hard to make. I honestly have no idea if that's what it was but neither does anyone else because there is no evidence for either side. I support this pipeline for the jobs it will add/keep in ND. You all apparently have a better view of the scenario then someone who lives 20 miles from what is happening, seen the camp/protests, and reads/hears what's happening daily. Pipeline will be built and that's a fact. Thinking it won't be is "willful ignorance".

You've been saying there's no risk of a spill, that trucks and trains are more dangerous than pipelines, that this has nothing to do with native americans, that any criticism of how protesters have been treated is propaganda...

it's abundantly clear that being close to what is happening gives you no authority to talk about what's actually happening.

traveler

Not Wario

You either deliberately twisted the hell out of that or missed all the points.

1. He isn't arguing propane bombs don't exist. It's also not about whether or not he even knows what it is. The argument is that a) it's a huge leap to go from finding a single small punctured propane tank to assuming protesters are making bombs and b) if they honestly thought there were bombs, why isn't a huge investigation looking into the potential terror threat they pose? A lack of firm hard evidence on either side doesn't mean both accusations are equally likely. The Police have proven themselves to be untrustworthy keepers of the narrative there, especially when it comes to what they do to protesters.

2. You live nearby. OK. There are other people in this thread that also live nearby and are personally impacted. Additionally, with the wealth of information available online, it IS possible for someone online to stay more informed on a situation than someone else. Physical proximity doesn't make your arguments any better or others worse. Address arguments; not the circumstances of the people making them.

3) The consensus in this thread is that the pipeline will be built. That doesn't mean people still won't fight for the protesters or their cause. There's a difference between arguing against an outcome and believing your side will win. This isn't willful ignorance.

I don't know how you can accuse him of ignoring this for the sake of his legacy. Speaking in support of the protestors would achieve nothing but improve his "legacy"...

With supreme ease----this entire thing could've been quashed long before so much as a single injury was sustained by anybody, but no, can't rock those industry boats even so many months before Trump was a thing. He has no substantive words for the protesters in this case, or any other in his admin, beyond calming down to toe the line and appeals to a spirit of false bipartisanship/cooperation with those whom would sooner oppress folks---The Right Thing to Say in terms of being that Cool Authoritative Obama as 1st Black President Optics, as we can't have the deeper Status Quo upset now can we? He just wants to coast out on his accomplishment(s) and keep on propping up that Decorum of Office like something out of Weekend at Bernie's despite literal profound suffering despite that cavalier attitude landing Trump at the doorstep soon enough.

The Great Myth of Obama as a holy scourge upon the Fossil Fuel Industry on the whole is as insane and groundless as the same damnable fable propped up versus the Arms Industry and general MIC/PIC.

As said in the last thread, by virtue of folks leaping out of nowhere to defend this with incredulous fervor along similar stretched lines, well, it can't be said it isn't getting some attention at last vs consignment to oblivion outright---but my wells of optimism only run drier still with each escalation gone unanswered by the state and fed authorities...

I guarantee that poster doesn't give a shit about black people or the civil rights movement.
That "How dare you compare ___ to the civil rights movement" nonsense is often used as a silencing tactic by people who don't care about either of the two things.

Yeeeeeep. Natives have been getting shat on since white people found out that brown people lived here first. It's easy to just try and oppression Olympics them into silence.

Jackpot

Banned

No evidence bombs were used = "maybe bombs were used"?

Things are untrue by default. Saying there was no evidence that there wasn't a terroristic plot to use explosives against police officers is the same as saying there were no bombs, period.

Only someone desperate to continue hating a group of people would even entertain such tortured reasoning.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Second, the pipeline is a net gain for the environment (the crude oil will be transported regardless - current methods are train & truck). Modern pipelines are safer than any of these techniques.

Well not really considering this same company has had over 800 spills in the last 15 years along with this baby: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalamazoo_River_oil_spill

Tanker trucks carry a max of 12k gallons of oil per load. That pipeline spill dumped 1-2 million.

Brakke

Banned
What's the operational cost of a pipeline? Trucks might not crash and spill very often but they are burning a ton of the very fuel they're carrying. Presumably pipelines are more energy efficient or why would we ever build them?

catbird

Neo Member
Well not really considering this same company has had over 800 spills in the last 15 years along with this baby: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalamazoo_River_oil_spill

Tanker trucks carry a max of 12k gallons of oil per load. That pipeline spill dumped 1-2 million.

Right. And isn't one of the problems with a pipeline spill that the damage causes greater damage by virtue of being in the earth? Where a truck spill could be more dangerous locally to human lives but would be easier to clean due to superifical damage? I find this to be a big risk.

Bit of an update.

Audio shows the Standing Rock Tribe did in fact voice concerns over the pipeline back in 2014, even though the CEO of the company said that the Tribe never engaged with them until it was too late.

Audio released by the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe from a September 2014 meeting with Dakota Access Pipeline representatives contradicts recent claims made by a pipeline company executive.

Kelcy Warren, CEO of Energy Transfer Partners, the parent company of Dakota Access LLC, told the Wall Street Journal the pipeline route that crosses just north of the Standing Rock Reservation could have been changed if the tribe had engaged in discussions sooner.
ND governor wants to meet with Standing Rock council to resolve protests, restore relationship
“In my opinion, we need to begin now to talk about how we are going to eventually arrive at a peaceful resolution of the situation and restore the relationship between North Dakota and the Standing Rock people,” Dalrymple said during a news conference Wednesday, Nov. 30.

catbird

Neo Member

Well, the September 2014 meeting is mentioned in the court documents so it was known. Its interesting to hear more details, particularly this piece:

"But tribal officials said the natural gas pipeline was installed about a decade before changes to a federal law gave tribes a voice in the process."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom