• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North Korea arrests US student.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian577

Banned
Not a lot of details at the moment.

North Korea says it has arrested a US student accused of committing a "hostile act" against the state.

The KCNA state news agency said the US government had "tolerated and manipulated" the student, who attends the University of Virginia.

The unnamed student had entered North Korea as a tourist, it said, and "aimed to destroy the country's unity".

KCNA did not give further details, but said the student was now under investigation.

An official at the US embassy in the South Korean capital, Seoul, told Reuters news agency that it was aware of the arrest.

The student is the third Western citizen known to be held in North Korea.

A Canadian pastor and a Korean-American man are also being held by the secretive East Asian state.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35379583

Nivash

Isn't this somewhat "common" now?

Yeah, and it shouldn't be. Tourists directly support the North Korean regime by bringing in precious foreign currency, of which not so much as a single cent finds its way down to the ordinary people of the country. It gets used to pay for the leaders' excesses and the country's clandestine operations abroad instead. I understand wanting to visit North Korea out of fascination with how extremely dissimilar it is to anywhere else, but that comes at the cost of forcing ordinary people to entertain you in propaganda events and you literally bankrolling Kim Jong-un.

I find it downright immoral, to be frank.

Yeah, and it shouldn't be. Tourists directly support the North Korean regime by bringing in precious foreign currency, of which not so much as a single cent finds its way down to the ordinary people of the country. It gets used to pay for the leaders' excesses and the country's clandestine operations abroad instead. I understand wanting to visit North Korea out of fascination with how extremely dissimilar it is to anywhere else, but that comes at the cost of forcing ordinary people to entertain you in propaganda events and you literally bankrolling Kim Jong-un.

I'm pretty sure it's all done through a Chinese tourism program.

Nivash

I'm pretty sure it's all done through a Chinese tourism program.

Which North Korea only allows to exist by scooping up those precious dollars. It's not as if the tourists sneak across the border, they're constantly shepherded by political minders that make sure that anything they pay ends up in government hands, and that's not accounting for the deal the state has in place with said Chinese tourism programs in the first place.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...4340aa-b799-4539-87a8-92fe88af90c8_story.html

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/10/north-korea-travel-tourism/382101/

North Korea is not a normal country. You're only ever allowed to do something because the state directly allowed - or even planned - for it and it only does so if it benefits from it. Step one foot out of line and you'll end up like this tourist did, and others before him.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
If you follow the rules on those NK tours you'll be fine. They need to preserve the reputation of those tours because it makes them money...

I'm guessing the kid broke some rule or another. And that's all fine for NK because now they have a bargaining pawn to get some aid money or sanctions lifted or something....

Ventrue

I went there last year. I share your concerns to some extent. A) I gave a lot to charity when I went as a bit of a 'morality offset.' However, B) there is a convincing argument the other way, that exposing regular Koreans to outsiders helps to chip away at the image of the outside world the government has painted for them. This was the position of our tour guide (who had been in NK in various roles for a long time) and he felt that way quite genuinely. There are many things (even non-'controversial' things that people there have no awareness of). By finding common ground with people, giving them info about the outside world, even us just smiling, waving, seeming kind and respectful (and not crushingly poor), this gives people a glimpse at a different perspective than what they are fed about foreigners and the outside world.

Also - I would argue that depriving the regime of money will not do any good. In the 90s NK faced a crushing famine that killed many people. Did this weaken the regime? Not at all. It was only the citizens who suffered. I'd argue that as wealth flows into the country, at least some 'trickles down' (yuck). At least some of the luckier citizens in the capital had access to a surprising degree of foreign stuff e.g. cars. Our guides said that this was very different to even 5 years ago. The first people to suffer when the regime is low on funds are the common people. By introducing more foreign goods and trade, there is at least hope that capitalist influences and foreign ties might moderate the regime's brutality, purely out of self interest and desire for foreign cash.

As for this arrest - it was pretty chill on the tour. Some people on our group were worryingly 'offensive' during our time there but there was no trouble. I imagine this person either got unlucky and was arbitrarily siezed, or did something quite bold.

I had a co-worker when I was a JET teacher here in Osaka who went to NK during summer vacation. He had to keep it secret from the Board of Education because thy obviously were not cool with it.

He had some great stories and pictures. I remember him saying the hardest thing was when they took him to the Kim Il-sung Mausoleum and basically forced him to put flowers down at the man's statue. He didn't want to do it but was afraid of the consequences.

Ventrue

He had some great stories and pictures. I remember him saying the hardest thing was when they took him to the Kim Il-sung Mausoleum and basically forced him to put flowers down at the man's statue. He didn't want to do it but was afraid of the consequences.

Ah, the flowers are actually at a statue elsewhere. In the mausoleum, you have to bow three times to his preserved body, same with Jong Il. That building was the most incredible and scary place I've ever been, so I had no reservations giving what is to me a meaningless gesture.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The student probably made the mistake of telling vicious lies like claiming that in the US people take in thousands of calories a day and eat meat almost every day.

Mikey Jr.

Don't go to fucking North Korea!

Jesus Christ.

I have no sympathy. Going there is like playing Russian roulette.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I went in 2014. It was one of the most interesting experiences of my life.

I bet. Privilege and detachment rarely manifest in such a way.

Usually people give others shit for supporting corrupt institutions or looking the other way, but its hard to be more blunt about supporting an inhumane machine than going to North Korea and paying money to do so.

BocoDragon

Refusing to engage with NK isn't exactly helping either.

You're just as much propping up the walls of separation by boycotting tourism out of principle.

Yeah, I do think NK tourism is a net positive. It's a drop in the bucket that could eventually cause them to loosen their grip. Every time people in NK interact with foreigners, it's a chink in the armor of isolation.

Refusing to engage with NK isn't exactly helping either.

You're just as much propping up the walls of separation by boycotting tourism out of principle.

Yeah, I do think NK tourism is a net positive. It's a drop in the bucket that could eventually cause them to loosen their grip.

I think much more worse than NK tourism (okay, maybe not) are the ones that profit from it. Getting to NK from China/with a chinese tourist group costs about 300-400$, even less depending how many days you will stay.
If you go there with a foreign travel group, they charge you 1500-2000$ for this 5 day trip IIRC.

_Ryo_

Going to NK is immoral, and disgusting. Also debatably treasonous.

That said hope my fellow Virginian comes home, hopefully with the knowledge of the error of his ways in tact.

BocoDragon

I think much more worse than NK tourism (okay, maybe not) are the ones that profit from it. Getting to NK from China/with a chinese tourist group costs about 300-400$, even less depending how many days you will stay.
If you go there with a foreign travel group, they charge you 1500-2000$ for this 5 day trip IIRC.

Ironically.. these pseudo-commies sure know how to capitalism.

I'll never understand why people insist on going to these places. I get that someone might be curious, but that aint worth the risk (which doesn't seem too low, especially for Americans) of being shoved into a camp or mine and then work till you fucking die of starvation.

I would say it's one of the safest places in the world to visit. Just have some common sense and don't be stupid.

So smile, nod, pretend that everything is perfectly alright even when it's not, and for God's sake don't ask questions.

It's how the average North Korean manages to get by after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom