• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North Korea arrests US student.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZoddGutts

i can't say i feel sorry for him. he is part of a culture of young americans who are ignorant, spoiled, and stupid. He pulled a flag from hotel lobby to take home. He knows NK does not play! They will arrest you, imprison you for that. They tell you what not to do on those tours. Anthony Bourdain visits NK in his Parts Unknown documentary. This kid thought USA would protect him if something happened, he's dumb. Don't get me wrong, i hope he is ok. i hope he is being fed, and has a warm bed to sleep in, and safe of harm. But you don't go into a country like that not knowing the consequences. If he had done nothing to offend them i would feel sympathy, but he knew what he was doing.

Reminds me of this Louis C.K. bit "Of course ... But Maybe" bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O5h4enjrHw&ab_channel=DaveDiCicco

olympia

In a country where they breed prisoners in concentration camp type conditions....do you think it matters that ONE important figure didn't die the way a rumor made it. There are thousands of political prisoners in worse conditions and have had worse happen to them.

If you do a little research, there is enough verified information to condemn NK as a crappy country who has a bad reputation in their treatment of their citizens.

I don't believe involving myself in their Sandles themed propaganda trip is gonna contribute to "breaking down walls" and improve communication with NK to change their behavior. It will just satisfy a curiosity, not educate me in the way it really is and possibly cause me to spread misinformation based upon my experience on their "guided trip". I see it as more harm then good and slightly selfish.

How disingenuous. It's not really a "Sandles" themed trip. Nor is it "their" trip. Young Pioneer Tours is business run by westerners who organizes other trips to other places, not just NK. I never said that NK wasn't a bad country. Nor am I defending the actions of North Korea in any way.

You don't have to go to NK to "spread misinformation", you can stay right at home and believe sensationalism. The media has reveled in depicting North Korea as some sort of comical James Bond regime when the reality of the matter is much more nuanced and serious.

NK sure is guilty of spreading misinformation, but let's not pretend that Western media isn't either.

Can people from the U.S. stop visiting North Korea. We need to stop feeding them future hostages. The country is just not safe for them.

Goliath

How disingenuous. It's not really a "Sandles" themed trip. I never said that NK wasn't a bad country. Nor am I defending the actions of North Korea in any way.

You don't have to go to NK to "spread misinformation", you can stay right at home and believe sensationalism. The media has reveled in depicting North Korea as some sort of comical James Bond regime when the reality of the matter is much more nuanced and serious.

NK sure is guilty of spreading misinformation, but let's not pretend that Western media isn't either.

Of course it is. Your not free to just go anywhere in NK right? They have control over your trip. It's like a guided tour on steroids. There is no sidestepping or you end up like the guy in the OP. Every country has a history with propaganda and misinformation, however the human rights violations currently going on in NK is not gonna get solved by going their to enjoy their guided tour and giving them your money. Obviously dealing with other countries policies is a complex matter and not something easily done but I see no good in going there, living it up in their theme park and coming home telling everyone how nice it was and how nice everybody is. Let's be real, when you go there as a tourist you are doing it to satisfy your own curiosity and have a story to tell. You are not helping anybody out and by giving them your money, possibly actively hurting the citizens.

olympia

Of course it is. Your not free to just go anywhere in NK right? They have control over your trip. It's like a guided tour on steroids. There is no sidestepping or you end up like the guy in the OP. Every country has a history with propaganda and misinformation, however the human rights violations currently going on in NK is not gonna get solved by going their to enjoy their guided tour and giving them your money. Obviously dealing with other countries policies is a complex matter and not something easily done but I see no good in going there, living it up in their theme park and coming home telling everyone how nice it was and how nice everybody is.

I don't think you actually understand what a tour in NK is like. It's guided, but the poverty is so apparent that it is impossible to hide, even in urbanized cities like Pyongyang. It's not a "resort" tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom