• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North Korea arrests US student.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Refusing to engage with NK isn't exactly helping either.

You're just as much propping up the walls of separation by boycotting tourism out of principle.

Yeah, I do think NK tourism is a net positive. It's a drop in the bucket that could eventually cause them to loosen their grip. Every time people in NK interact with foreigners, it's a chink in the armor of isolation.
There's no way a people's revolt can happen in NK.

maxcriden

So smile with missing teeth, nod your tired and malnourished head with the minimal effort you can muster after being worked to the bone for a small meal at best, pretend that everything is perfectly alright even when it's abhorrent, and for God's sake don't ask questions.

It's how the average North Korean manages to get by after all.

Fixed that for you. 😧 ugh. It is just a sick situation....

Refusing to engage with NK isn't exactly helping either.

You're just as much propping up the walls of separation by boycotting tourism out of principle.

Yeah, I do think NK tourism is a net positive. It's a drop in the bucket that could eventually cause them to loosen their grip. Every time people in NK interact with foreigners, it's a chink in the armor of isolation.

I don't think it will make much difference. If anything tourism will be seen as legitimising the regime. The best way to change North Korea would be to kill Kim Jong Un.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
There's no way a people's revolt can happen in NK.

Who ever implied a people's revolt? Not the point.

Positive interaction with foreign people could lead to more future interactions and who knows what down the line, that's all.

If some general in a position of power some day has positive experience with the tourism program, and positive experience with tourists, its all the more likely that they will allow more open programs in the future.

Interaction with the outside world, however slight, erodes the lie that the outside world is something they need to protect themselves from.

I don't think it will make much difference. If anything tourism will be seen as legitimising the regime. The best way to change North Korea would be to kill Kim Jong Un.

There is an element of legitimizing the regime, yes.

Killing Kim Jong Un....?

uh, okay? A Kim just died a couple years ago and that did diddly squat, so what are you basing that on?

Even if all the Kims die, the generals remain in control. That is very obvious.

The eccentricity of the state doesn't even come from the personality of the leader at all. Whoever is the leader is groomed by the state....

DY_nasty

Who ever implied a people's revolt? Not the point.

Positive interaction with foreign people could lead to more future interactions and who knows what down the line, that's all.

If some general in a position of power some day has positive experience with the tourism program, and positive experience with tourists, its all the more likely that they will allow more open programs in the future.

Interaction with the outside world, however slight, erodes the lie that the outside world is something they need to protect themselves from.

@bolded quite the fairy tale. I hope that general fairs better than the last few officials who showed dissent. I'm also fairly sure that tourism program (that isn't even subtle about being a carnival ride which funds debauchery on an international scale) is even more of a joke to those aware in NK than it is to those aware outside and looking in.

Best way to erode anything in NK would be with military intervention but that's a discussion for another thread.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
@bolded quite the fairy tale. I hope that general fairs better than the last few officials who showed dissent. I'm also fairly sure that a tourism program that isn't even subtle about being a carnival ride which funds debauchery on an international scale is even more of a joke to those aware in NK than it is to those aware outside and looking in.

Best way to erode anything in NK would be with military intervention but that's a discussion for another thread.

Fairy tale? I mean, that's how the world works.

Slow. Gradual. Change.

Remember when China was the big bad enemy? Cuba? Iran? Vietnam? How did they get turned into varying degrees of America's pseudo-buddies? Was it grand intervention?

Nope. It was tiny interactions that piled up over time.

Of course the tourism program could be some mere propaganda apparatus that could never have any effect on real world change... but that's just as much of a dogmatic fairy tale.

It's certainly possible that someday someone will get in charge, look at the money coming in from the tourism program, allow 5% more tourists in order to get 5% more money... And 30 years later there's McDonald's in Pyongyang.

That's most likely how this will actually play out, rather than people's fantasies about Kim assassinations or people's revolutions... which are the real fairy tales.

DY_nasty

Fairy tale? I mean, that's how the world works.

Slow. Gradual. Change.

Remember when China was the big bad enemy? Cuba? Iran? Vietnam? How did they get turned into varying degrees of America's pseudo-buddies? Was it grand intervention?

Nope. It was tiny interactions that piled up over time.

Of course the tourism program could be some mere propaganda apparatus that could never have any effect on real world change... but that's just as much of a dogmatic fairy tale.

It's certainly possible that someday someone will get in charge, look at the money coming in from the tourism program, allow 5% more tourists in order to get 5% more money... And 30 years later there's McDonald's in Pyongyang.

That's most likely how this will actually play out, rather than people's fantasies about Kim assassinations or people's revolutions... which are the real fairy tales.
There are so many casual dismissals, leaps in all directions, and bad comparisons in this post dude

lets skip the part where we go back and forth and you gradually step off of those one by one while I waste time to type out shit that you already know but would rather not deal with as it screws up your point lol

okay, now - how many james bond villain "its a small world" rides have actually existed? i'm sure the experience is quite unlike anything else in history. does that somehow change what this is?

edit: still laughing at slow. gradual. change. lol. geez dude lmao

There are so many casual dismissals, leaps in all directions, and bad comparisons in this post dude

lets skip the part where we go back and forth and you gradually step off of those one by one while I waste time to type out shit that you already know but would rather not deal with as it screws up your point lol

okay, now - how many james bond villain "its a small world" rides have actually existed? i'm sure the experience is quite unlike anything else in history. does that somehow change what this is?

edit: still laughing at slow. gradual. change. lol. geez dude lmao
Any change in North Korea will be slow if the current regime stays in charge. Or there could be a revolution - not likely, would need a couple of generals to do it and somehow lead their soldiers against Kim - or actual war.

Too bad it will probably literally take at least another 100 years for stuff to get a bit better on the current path. I doubt tourism has any influence on it one way or the other.

DY_nasty

Any change in North Korea will be slow if the current regime stays in charge. Or there could be a revolution - not likely, would need a couple of generals to do it and somehow lead their soldiers against Kim - or actual war.

Too bad it will probably literally take at least another 100 years for stuff to get a bit better on the current path. I doubt tourism has any influence on it one way or the other.

It won't be anything longer than a decade tops. The Pacific is changing too much, too fast for a nation to have South Korea at gunpoint and aiming to put Japan under the same crosshair. Nuclear weapons included? No.

But that's for a different thread.

Anyways, kid is an idiot.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
So reading the other thread that student likely went on a solo trip and entertained some local people with his iPad?

EmiPrime

I have very little sympathy because of this:

Yeah, and it shouldn't be. Tourists directly support the North Korean regime by bringing in precious foreign currency, of which not so much as a single cent finds its way down to the ordinary people of the country. It gets used to pay for the leaders' excesses and the country's clandestine operations abroad instead. I understand wanting to visit North Korea out of fascination with how extremely dissimilar it is to anywhere else, but that comes at the cost of forcing ordinary people to entertain you in propaganda events and you literally bankrolling Kim Jong-un.

I find it downright immoral, to be frank.

Your idiotic curiosity and ability to tell interesting stories to your m8s back home is not worth propping up with your spending money a regime that rapes, murders, tortures and enslaves its own people.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Yeah, hearing about Drew Scanlon's NK trip over at Giant Bomb always rubbed me the wrong way.

I am definitely of the opinion it is not ok to vacation there.

Why was there a ban on travel to Cuba for so long for US residents but there is no such ban on travel to NK?

How is this shit even tolerated by Western countries? I understand you don't wanna make an international crisis over it but if they're kidnapping citizens shit has to be done

DY_nasty

Dude, China is nowhere near the level of N. Korea... At least not lately. Maybe in the 60s or 70s or something?

Not even then.

This whole thing is a clear as day carnival attraction from both sides.

Briarios

Do it! You definitely won't regret it (unless you do something really stupid like this student probably did.....).

It is doubtful he did anything. He is a hostage. This is the exact same behavior they have exhibited previously. A few days before a weapons test, they take hostages as bargaining chips.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Sup.

Two years and many other countries later, still would go again.

You get to see the staged stuff, and some really poor stuff. It can't be hidden, the country is insanely poor. You get to see the difference of the ruling party's people and the rest of the country. You get to see communism in action (or 'juche' as they'd like to label it).

Statistically speaking, North Korea an extremely safe tourist destination. Petty crime against tourists doesn't exist (take a guess why) and car crashes are virtually impossible, as there are almost no cars. Of course, if you are the one tourist in five thousand who gets fucked, for whatever political bargaining chip reason, then you are indeed really very, very fucked.

The moral dilemma, as many rightly point out, is contributing money to the corrupt regime vs. giving local people some external interaction and keeping them up to date with Apple Watches and GoPros and what not. My view was that the few thousand tourists that visit annually bring a pitiful two-three million dollars a year to the country, which doesn't even buy Kim-Jong Un a full season of Rodman. So the govenment gets an absolute majority of its money elsewhere, through scamming aid for example, and tourism is mostly "just" morally suspect, rather than an actual contributor to the wealth of the regime in any meaningful way.

EmiPrime

Also - I would argue that depriving the regime of money will not do any good. In the 90s NK faced a crushing famine that killed many people. Did this weaken the regime? Not at all. It was only the citizens who suffered.

NK has been given over $1bn in food aid over the years under the stipulation that the regime distributes it, a concession the UN sadly capitulated to. Of course famine hasn't weakened the regime, their bellies are full and they sold much of the food aid on the black market.

If financial institutions in the west had been wise to NK's insurance scams, idiotic "Sunshine" policies from South Korea had never happened, Japan had cracked down on NK institutions on its shores (and the money they send over) instead of weirdly tolerating them and food aid had been contingent on UN distribution the regime may well have collapsed.

I'd argue that as wealth flows into the country, at least some 'trickles down' (yuck).

Whatever helps you sleep at night. You are complicit.

Change is never going to come from the outside for North Korea. Long-lasting change rarely does.

These are people whose only exposure to westerners are pictures of American soldiers salivating while cutting the tits off North Korean virgins. It doesn't feel wonderful to give money to the regime but it felt pretty great to know there's North Koreans in there who have seen westerners smile and wave like the humans we actually are. That's gotta make them think.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Why the hell does anyone want to visit North Korea?

- see what communism looks like in practice
- see what a world without brands and advertising looks like
- see what being cut off the world does to a society
- see how much media influences one's world view
- see a nation scale social experiment that can't (luckily) be repeated in our lifetimes
- keep local people up to date with the latest from the West
- gain empathy for the average North Korean citizen

Just to mention a few.

- see what communism looks like in practice
- see what a world without brands and advertising looks like
- see what being cut off the world does to a society
- see how much media influences one's world view
- see a nation scale social experiment that can't (luckily) be repeated in our lifetimes
- keep local people up to date with the latest from the West
- gain empathy for the average North Korean citizen

Just to mention a few.

I wouldn't visit unless I had a vision of educating others based on what was experienced, or fulfilling a long-term positive goal. But for my own entertainment? Hell nah.

How is this shit even tolerated by Western countries? I understand you don't wanna make an international crisis over it but if they're kidnapping citizens shit has to be done

You can't stop people from making the trip. You fly in to China, you voluntarily hand over your passport and they take you from China to North Korea. If people want to risk their freedom to visit North Korea, that's entirely their prerogative. They have to go in knowing the US does not have diplomatic relations with the country and will not be able to help them if they get in trouble.

if the kid really did visit North Korea as a tourist...lol....

north korea is actually a very interesting place so this isn't far fetched at all. I would go to north korea to check out the culture but would be terrified of being arrested

Who would go to North Korea as a tourist? It is like going for vacation in Syria.

*sigh* not all of syria is in turmoil, there's a lot of history and very cool places to check out in syria

Not trying to defend North Korea but when they arrest an American it's normally for something that American knew they shouldn't be doing. Normally it's Christian Missionaries.

diamount

Banned
I'll never understand why people insist on going to these places. I get that someone might be curious, but that aint worth the risk (which doesn't seem too low, especially for Americans) of being shoved into a camp or mine and then work till you fucking die of starvation.

Bull, I will never visit because I don't want to support such an authoritarian regime but thousands visit without any issue, even if you stray from the group you will just get a stern telling off. In-fact they usually have no issues with photos as long as it's not of militarily personnel or bases

This guy must of done something very illegal to warrant imprisonment.

Pork

Banned
USED TO, USED TO, why does everyone ignore the quantifiers in a discussion?

Used to could mean any time in the past, even 10, 20 years. You also said no problems for Gaffers in China, implying these accusations were relevant to their stay. Which is why I assumed you meant in the near past.

Calm down bro. It's cool.

Reminds me of that movie Bridge of Spies where the student was arrested in communist germany.

Totalitarian governments hate students it seems

ElyrionX

I went in 2014. It was one of the most interesting experiences of my life.

So if you had got detained, how much resources do you expect your country to spend to get you back? Or would you have accepted detention as one of the risks you took in exchange for this "most interesting" experience and gladly accept your fate of spending the rest of your life rotting in NK?

diamount

Banned
So if you had got detained, how much resources do you expect your country to spend to get you back? Or would you have accepted detention as one of the risks you took in exchange for this "most interesting" experience and gladly accept your fate of spending the rest of your life rotting in NK.

He wouldn't of got detained, stop with the what-if's when their probability of happening is nill. If he goes to a country as a tourist and does what a tourist does, sightseeing and eating then nothing bad will happen.

I would say it's one of the safest places in the world to visit. Just have some common sense and don't be stupid.

Did you have a minder with you at all times? I mean that as a legitimate question.

Sure, risk of being the victim of street crime there may be lower than a lot of other countries, but I'm not sure having to be watchful of your every action under the constant presence of government chaperones counts as "safe".

The US has no formal diplomatic presence there, no embassy or consulate, so if something does happen to an American there, they might be in a difficult situation, like the student in the story.

gerg

Did you have a minder with you at all times? I mean that as a legitimate question.

Sure, risk of being the victim of street crime there may be lower than a lot of other countries, but I'm not sure having to be watchful of your every action under the constant presence of government chaperones counts as "safe".

Afaik, you don't just have one minder, but two (so that one can watch the other)!

Keri

...there is a convincing argument the other way, that exposing regular Koreans to outsiders helps to chip away at the image of the outside world the government has painted for them. This was the position of our tour guide (who had been in NK in various roles for a long time) and he felt that way quite genuinely. There are many things (even non-'controversial' things that people there have no awareness of). By finding common ground with people, giving them info about the outside world, even us just smiling, waving, seeming kind and respectful (and not crushingly poor), this gives people a glimpse at a different perspective than what they are fed about foreigners and the outside world.

No offense, but your tour guide is directly profiting from tourism to North Korea, so it's really no surprise they thought up a justification for doing so. I'm sure the people you are allowed to interact with, are carefully selected and controlled. They're also probably the people who are already doing pretty well within North Korea and have little reason to question or challenge the regime.

Grover

Banned
i can feel the republican candidates foaming at the mouth, all of them except Rand,

and i dont think its foam for Carson, i think hes just drooling in his sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom