• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North Korea's Kim Jong-un crosses into South Korea (UPDATE: Korean War Declared Over; joint statement)

TheMikado

Banned
I think the differential is unlike the above, Trump is an unknown. Whereas the NK leadership has always engaged in sabre rattling, Trump is the first one to ever really rattle back and leave NK guessing as to where they stand. So what are their options? Continue to talk big and look like a paper tiger to their populace (because actual nuclear war isn't remotely an option) or come to the negotiation table?

Also amused at the people who think NK coming to the table is a bad thing because stability in the region might mean economic gains for Asia...wtf kind of thinking is that? Let's not have world peace...it might make China stronger economically......

Yeah, that's not the issue at all.

The issue is that we have an end to an Korean war by proxy of China which a SK leader who conservatives, just months ago have been ripping to shreds as "Liberal" and "Anti-American".
https://www.forbes.com/sites/dougba...ae-in-or-the-norths-kim-jong-un/#23ddf66e31f4

"Moon’s views are no secret, though like any good politician he downplayed his more controversial views during the brief campaign. He started as an opponent of the THAAD anti-missile system, which has been deployed in the ROK despite China’s angry opposition. He urged revival of the so-called Sunshine Policy, which sought to win North Korea’s friendship with aid and commerce. (His proposal has been nicknamed Moonshine.) He promoted the idea of an “economic community” with the North, urged talks with North Korea’s Kim Jong-un, endorsed revival of the Six-Party talks (which include Japan, Russia, and China), and expressed his desire to take his first foreign trip to Pyongyang.

As the polls tightened he carefully qualified his positions, adding conditions for any approach to the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea. Yet many suspect such promises were merely convenient election add-ons. In fact, some of Moon’s top appointees share a radical past. For instance, his newly appointed chief of staff, 39-year-old Im Jong-Seok, once was jailed for promoting contacts with the North and led a student group which occupied the U.S. ambassador’s office."

http://freekorea.us/2017/04/26/how-...ti-americanism-to-power/#sthash.KALYjsP0.dpbs
"Like Roh Moo-hyun, the President he served, Moon Jae-in’s ideological origins are found within the leftist lawyers’ group Minbyun (which has since become Pyongyang’s instrument for intimidating North Korean refugees in the South). As lawyers defending left-wing radicals and pro-democracy activists alike against the right-wing dictatorship, Moon and Roh became close friends and law partners in Pusan. Moon went on to become the legal advisor to the Pusan branch of the Korea Teachers’ and Educational Workers’ Union, a radicalized union that would draw controversy for the politicized, anti-American, and often pro-North Korean bias of its members’ instruction. In one case, it was caught using textbooks that borrowed heavily from North Korean texts. "

To put it plainly in political terms, it's far more likely from conservative viewpoints that rather than flipping NK to pro-US sentiment, SK has actually gone pro-NK/China. China fostering peace is a step closer to a unified Asian geo-political power which both China and Moon seem to want.

dolabla

Wow, this is awesome news to wake up to.

And yeah, it's crazy to say Trump didn't have a hand in this. Of course he didn't do it all. It was an effort by Trump, Moon and Xi Jinping.

Last edited:

Sàmban

Banned
If the SK President is crediting Trump for this, even in small parts, we have got to be able to accept that as a fact and leave the hyperpartisan bullshit aside.

TheMikado

Banned
Asked to cool off --> aggro wall of bold and oversized font. Please respect admin requests, remain civil, and don't derail around your ago
Is this somehow supposed to be a bad position to hold?

I don't believe the right-wing conspiracy of Moon being an NK sympathizer. But declaring this a win for Trump is absurd when talks have looked like this:
Maybe find a news source or analyst that isn’t full of shit then.

I realize it’s a tough thing to do.
Got you covered, I'll take Trumps own mouth then.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/04/world/asia/north-korea-nuclear-south-us-alliance.html

Allies for 67 Years, U.S. and South Korea Split Over North Korea

SEPT. 4, 2017
SEOUL, South Korea — For seven decades, the United States and South Korea have been the closest of allies. Their soldiers have served together not just on the Korean Peninsula but in Vietnam, Afghanistan and Iraq. And under America’s protective umbrella, the South Korean economy has soared.
Now, as North Korea carries out a series of provocative missile and nuclear bomb tests, that alliance is straining at a time when both nations may need it more than ever.
President Trump issued a blast of antagonistic comments in the last few days that have made South Koreans doubt that they can take the alliance for granted any longer.
On Twitter on Thursday, he declared that “talking is not the answer!” in dealing with North Korea, casting aside the push by the new South Korean president, Moon Jae-in, to hold talks with the North. On Saturday, he threatened to withdraw the United States from a five-year-old free trade agreement with South Korea over what he considers its unfair protectionist policies. And on Sunday, after North Korea detonated its most powerful nuclear device yet, he essentially called the South Koreans appeasers.
”South Korea is finding, as I have told them, that their talk of appeasement with North Korea will not work, they only understand one thing!” Mr. Trump said on Twitter.

The tone of Mr. Trump’s statements stunned officials here and underscored what unlikely partners he and Mr. Moon are, at a time when their countries’ 67-year-old military alliance faces an ever-more-dangerous regime in Pyongyang.
Mr. Moon, who was elected in May promising to seek dialogue with North Korea, fired back at Mr. Trump, insisting that the crisis be resolved peacefully.
”We can never tolerate another catastrophic war on this land,” his office said in a statement Sunday evening. “We will not give up our goal of working together with allies to seek a peaceful denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.”
Mr. Moon has supported Mr. Trump’s push for tougher sanctions against North Korea, and in a call on Monday, their first since the nuclear test on Sunday, the two leaders agreed to lift the weight limit on South Korean conventional warheads, Park Soo-hyun, a spokesman for Mr. Moon, said. Removing the 500-kilogram restriction, part of a treaty with the United States aimed at preventing a regional arms race, could give the South greater power to strike the North in the event of military conflict.
Mr. Moon and Mr. Trump also agreed to “push for maximum pressure and sanctions against North Korea” at the United Nations Security Council, Mr. Park said.
But Mr. Moon has argued that sanctions and pressure alone have failed to stop the North’s advances in nuclear and missile technology. And while Mr. Trump has threatened North Korea with “fire and fury,” Mr. Moon has said there must be a peaceful solution because South Koreans, not Americans, would bear the brunt of war.
He called the North Korean nuclear test on Sunday “disappointing and infuriating.”
Lee Seong-hyon, an analyst at the Sejong Institute near Seoul, said: “Trump considers Moon naïve for insisting on dialogue with North Korea when it keeps conducting missile and nuclear tests. Trump is asking Moon, ‘Are you with us or not?’”
Mr. Trump’s threat to cancel the trade agreement squeezes South Korea on its economy, which is already suffering in part because of South Korean cooperation with the United States.
After North Korea tested its first intercontinental ballistic missile in July, Mr. Moon responded by authorizing an American missile-defense system that the Americans had been pushing for and that he had resisted. But authorizing the missile defense system angered China, which retaliated by cutting back on South Korean consumer products, forcing the South Korean carmaker Hyundai to temporarily shut down assembly lines in China.
Mr. Trump is not the first American leader to be skeptical of a progressive South Korean president’s approach to the North. Since North Korea was first discovered to be developing nuclear weapons in the 1990s, the allies have not always been on the same page.
Washington feared that liberal South Korean presidents’ preference for dialogue and openness were helping North Korea buy time and secure funds for its nuclear weapons program. South Korean progressives argued that dialogue with the North slowed down its nuclear program and even halted it, at least for a while.
Mr. Moon was a close ally of President Roh Moo-hyun, a liberal who championed the so-called sunshine policy of engaging North Korea with dialogue, trade and aid shipments. Mr. Roh owed his 2002 election in part to a wave of anti-American sentiment, spurred by the deaths of two South Korean schoolgirls who were run over by an American military vehicle.
”Washington still suspects that President Moon is Roh Moo-hyun 2.0,” said Kim Ji-yoon, an analyst at the Asan Institute for Policy Studies in Seoul.
Moreover, Mr. Moon and Mr. Trump lack personal chemistry, analysts said, inhabiting opposing political spheres and coming from vastly different backgrounds.
Mr. Moon was a former human rights lawyer defending labor activists and political dissidents while Mr. Trump was a former real-estate magnate.
While Mr. Trump called for America First, Mr. Moon said during his campaign that he would “say no to the Americans” if necessary, in contrast to the previous, conservative government, which he portrayed as in lock step with the United States.
If Mr. Trump sees North Korea primarily as a nuclear threat, Mr. Moon, a son of Korean War refugees, tries to resolve it in a broader context of building reconciliation and eventually achieving reunification on the divided Korean Peninsula.
During his campaign, Mr. Moon alarmed Washington by saying that he would review Seoul’s agreement on the deployment of the American missile-defense system known as Thaad. The system has infuriated China, which said the powerful American radar on its doorstep undermined its own security.
Mr. Moon has since reversed himself, but Washington had a taste of his ability to say no when he took a swipe at Mr. Trump in a nationally televised speech last month. “No one should be allowed to decide on a military action on the Korean Peninsula without South Korean agreement,” he said.
Kim Keun-sik, a political-science professor at the University of North Korean Studies in Seoul, said: “Moon Jae-in had an uneasy start with Washington. The unease kept building up.”
The North never showed an interest in talks, further undermining Mr. Moon’s position.
“The latest nuclear test is a wake-up call for those in South Korea who still believe that dialogue is possible with North Korea,” said Lee Byong-chul, a senior fellow at the Institute for Peace and Cooperation in Seoul. “Kim Jong-un will never give up his nuclear weapons.”
The challenge for South Korea now is how to live with the reality of a nuclear-armed North. South Koreans fear that once North Korea acquires nuclear-tipped ICBMs, it will use them to drive a wedge between Washington and Seoul by offering to freeze its nuclear program in return for the withdrawal of American troops from the South.
In the worst-case scenario, they say, North Korea may attack the South and use its nuclear arsenal to deter the United States from intervening.
Mr. Moon also faces domestic pressure from the right, with South Korean conservatives clamoring for tactical nuclear weapons, and accusing Mr. Moon of endangering the alliance with Washington while “begging North Korea for dialogue.”
“Moon Jae-in became president four months ago, and the 50 million South Koreans have already become hostage to the North Korean nukes,” Hong Joon-pyo, leader of the conservative opposition Korea Liberty Party, said on Monday."

The point I've been making is that the US is getting played like a fiddle.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the SK President is crediting Trump for this, even in small parts, we have got to be able to accept that as a fact and leave the hyperpartisan bullshit aside.

To be honest, most sources will say that they are massaging his ego in order for the next line of talks to go well.

To add Mikado, while Trump was threatening nuclear war, NK still developed nukes that could reach the U.S., and now use those same nukes as an edge for these talks. But that would have happened under any president. Btw nice post Evilore.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheMikado

Banned
To be honest, most sources will say that they are massaging his ego in order for the next line of talks to go well.

They want to preserve their trade deal with the US.
Which was an incentive to keep SK as our allies rather than cozying up to China and NK.

Ironically it looks like they may both get to keep their trade deal with the US and have good standing relations with the China and NK. SK is making out like a bandit without actually having to give up anything.

Last edited:
Alright Gaf. Can we all meet in the middle here, come to an agreement that will make everyone happy? That most of not all credit goes to the one true visionary...

18j5942jw3lm3jpg.jpg

Rodman. Setting picks for peace since 2018.

Kadayi

Banned
But declaring this a win for Trump is absurd

Are you even responding to what I posted? Not being American, I don't give a shit about whether people say this is or isn't a win for Trump.

Also judging by your shouty screed I think you need to step outside and get some fresh air.

Last edited:
Wow, this is awesome news to wake up to.

And yeah, it's crazy to say Trump didn't have a hand in this. Of course he didn't do it all. It was an effort by Trump, Moon and Xi Jinping.

Please if he did, he wouldn't shut up about it. He hasn't done anything public obviously, and the whole process is leak heavy.

Speaking of

http://thehill.com/policy/internati...-for-pushing-north-south-korea-to-talk-report

Yeah I believe that Trump really begged for a mention. Fits right in line with his character.

LordOfChaos

This is a watershed moment in history, if it's adhered to. Having seen so many cycles of North Korean escalation and deescalation I admit to being a cynic about every step towards peace, but I'm at a cautious optimism now.

Lets not be quick to forget though, North Korea still has some 100,000-140,000 people in modern day gulags.

DryvBy

A few months ago, calling him "rocket man" was going to start WW III. Now we're here.

I don't think the media talking heads or people on Twitter know wtf they're talking about.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
This is a watershed moment in history, if it's adhered to. Having seen so many cycles of North Korean escalation and deescalation I admit to being a cynic about every step towards peace, but I'm at a cautious optimism now.

Lets not be quick to forget though, North Korea still has some 100,000-140,000 people in modern day gulags.
Yeah, I'm kind of the same boat here. Not to mention Otto Warmbier's death last year(https://www.wsj.com/articles/otto-warmbiers-parents-sue-north-korea-1524790091).

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I think the differential is unlike the above, Trump is an unknown. Whereas the NK leadership has always engaged in sabre rattling, Trump is the first one to ever really rattle back and leave NK guessing as to where they stand. So what are their options? Continue to talk big and look like a paper tiger to their populace (because actual nuclear war isn't remotely an option) or come to the negotiation table?

Also amused at the people who think NK coming to the table is a bad thing because stability in the region might mean economic gains for Asia...wtf kind of thinking is that? Let's not have world peace...it might make China stronger economically......

Do some of you not realize that NK has sign peace treaties before and then broken those promises? I love what I'm seeing here, but lets not be blind to what's possible going forward. The same people praising Trump for creating world peace, were some of the same people hating on Obama when he did a peace deal with Iran and their nuke program.

Literally Trump treated that Iran agreement as if it was the worst thing in history. And now the same people claim Trump is the big winner here? I don't get it. Explain this to me please.

Sàmban

Banned

To add Mikado, while Trump was threatening nuclear war, NK still developed nukes that could reach the U.S., and now use those same nukes as an edge for these talks. But that would have happened under any president. Btw nice post Evilore.
To be clear, I realize that’s probably the case (i.e. Korean leadership massaging Trump’s ego). But I don’t think focusing on “buh fuck Trump he did nothing” is really going to do anything. The fact is, at the very least it seems Trump didn’t fuck this up and may have helped accelerate talks in some small way. Given how grossly incompetent this administration has generally been, I’ll take a small win.

KINGMOKU

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/26/world/korea-summit-kang-kyung-wha-amanpour-intl/index.html

http://time.com/5189072/north-korea-donald-trump-credit/

Just a snippet of praise for President Trump. Its obvious to all, save for those with unrelenting hatred towards him, he has played a big role in this happening. I've stated it before, but when you have a man who's willing to use the worlds most powerful military and economy as pure weapons, everyone takes notice.

I also used left leaning CNN, and more centrist Time as an example as if even the far left, and moderate agree, its time for everyone to accept that Trump did something right here.

I know its tough for some, but in the end what matters is that this is actually happening. Of course a large part of me is sceptical, and rightly so, but its close and if it happens, this is great for the worlds future as a whole.

I applaud everyone who had a hand in this and I don't care what end of the political spectrum they come from.

I am left wondering how Russia will take this to be honest.

mckmas8808

While the story made for bold headlines, the details of what transpired in China largely remained under wraps until now. Over the past three months, ESPN conducted a series of interviews with multiple sources who were on the ground in China to recreate a moment-by-moment depiction of the events.

Among the new details that have emerged: what the players stole from the other two stores besides the sunglasses from Louis Vuitton; that the players were required to leave the police station multiple times to return the items they stole to all three stores; that one player hid a pair of stolen sunglasses in UCLA head coach Steve Alford's hotel room; how UCLA and Pac-12 officials bailed the players out of jail without committing an NCAA violation; how charges were dropped, the bail refunded and the players' passports returned two days before White House chief of staff John Kelly called the players to inform them that President Donald Trump was working on their release; how UCLA appeased Chinese authorities by keeping the players in China for 72 hours after the rest of the team had returned to Los Angeles; and why school officials thought it wise to thank Trump and Kelly while still unsure of the impact of their efforts.

I mean it's a long story, but it's great reading. It clearly shows that the real work was done by UCLA and the Chinese governement with no help of the Trump White House. Yet Trump acts as if it was all due to him. It's an ego thing and we understand that. I really don't even care that Trump lies about this stuff. The thing that kills me is that many people in this country want the lie to be true so bad.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ng-scandal-rocked-ucla-ncaa-basketball-season

To be clear, I realize that’s probably the case (i.e. Korean leadership massaging Trump’s ego). But I don’t think focusing on “buh fuck Trump he did nothing” is really going to do anything. The fact is, at the very least it seems Trump didn’t fuck this up and may have helped accelerate talks in some small way. Given how grossly incompetent this administration has generally been, I’ll take a small win.

It's also obvious that NK doing crazy things and talking reckless also accelerated talks.

Last edited:

Dunki

Honestly This is really strange to witness. I think this is this generations Moonwalking. And yes also Trump had something to do with it which makes it even Stranger. The guy people would fear will start a WW3. And to deny his involvement is just very ideology driven. As I said before he maybe stupid but he also seems to be doing really well regarding foreign policy. Maybe the World needed a more aggressive person in these times.

As for the inland stuff he is not doing really well as far as I know. He is not changing much to the worse or better he is just there.

Kadayi

Banned
Do some of you not realize that NK has sign peace treaties before and then broken those promises? I love what I'm seeing here, but let's not be blind to what's possible going forward. The same people praising Trump for creating world peace were some of the same people hating on Obama when he did a peace deal with Iran and their nuke program.

So, because maybe just maybe treaties might get broken despite that being SOP for a myriad of countries around the world, including the US of A (interfering in Ukraine and supporting a coup of a democratically elected government..GJ Obama *slow clap*), your proposal is what exactly? Do fuck all?

Literally Trump treated that Iran agreement as if it was the worst thing in history. And now the same people claim Trump is the big winner here? I don't get it. Explain this to me, please.

As already stated not being an American I don't care about Trump. I honestly find the relentless whining from his detractors over everything he does frankly rather hilarious. I mean jeez, the knee-jerk is so bad that if tomorrow he announced that the US government had cured cancer, I fully expect there would be someone bemoaning the fact that the bottom would fall out of the Pharmaceutical market as a consequence.

Last edited:

NickFire

Honestly This is really strange to witness. I think this is this generations Moonwalking. And yes also Trump had something to do with it which makes it even Stranger. The guy people would fear will start a WW3. And to deny his involvement is just very ideology driven. As I said before he maybe stupid but he also seems to be doing really well regarding foreign policy. Maybe the World needed a more aggressive person in these times.

As for the inland stuff he is not doing really well as far as I know. He is not changing much to the worse or better he is just there.
His foreign policy seems simple and effective. Instead of worrying about being PC, use our influence and leverage as much as possible.

With respect to inland, the tax cut alone was a massive achievement.

mckmas8808

And this is the problem that I have with people giving Trump more credit than what's due. From the evidence at hand, being more aggressive to NK didn't create this situation. We know this because NK has responded to both hard core aggression and passive aggression.

So, because maybe just maybe treaties might get broken despite that being SOP for a myriad of countries around the world, including the US of A (interfering in Ukraine and supporting a coup of a democratically elected government..GJ Obama *slow clap*), your proposal is what exactly? Do fuck all?.

No I'm glad things are where they are. I didn't want Trump to mess things up and make things worse. That's all. It looks like the things that he said didn't mess things up so I'm good with that. But it's weird that we can't agree that non-Americans should get most of the credit of this peace agreement in this thread.

It's very clear who we should give the credit to. Trump should get a minority amount of that credit. Lets just say 20%. Can we agree to that?

Kadayi

Banned
No I'm glad things are where they are. I didn't want Trump to mess things up and make things worse. That's all. It looks like the things that he said didn't mess things up so I'm good with that. But it's weird that we can't agree that non-Americans should get most of the credit of this peace agreement in this thread.

It's very clear who we should give the credit to. Trump should get a minority amount of that credit. Lets just say 20%. Can we agree to that?

What is this obsession? From what I can tell, based on what South Korea's foreign minister says, there wouldn't have been any talks without Trumps involvement. He's the catalyst to the whole thing happening in the first place.

Mohonky

Please if he did, he wouldn't shut up about it. He hasn't done anything public obviously, and the whole process is leak heavy.

Speaking of

http://thehill.com/policy/internati...-for-pushing-north-south-korea-to-talk-report

Yeah I believe that Trump really begged for a mention. Fits right in line with his character.

To be honest, I'm partially convinced he did contribute; just not in a way of reason.

NK has long gotten away with talking shit as far as politics is concerned knowing anyone in their right mind WOULDN'T take any military action against him, not because they'd lose, I'm sure Kim isn't that delusional, but the humanitarian cost and potential damage they could inflict to their neighbours would make any sane person think twice. Trump however comes across as just crazy and egotistical enough to go where no other politician would dare go......if anything, Kim and his fathers years of 'I dare you to try it' posturing finally met it's match when America said 'hold my beer' and elected Trump who, lets face it, changes his mind by the minute.

mckmas8808

What is this obsession? From what I can tell, based on what South Korea's foreign minister says, there wouldn't have been any talks without Trumps involvement. He's the catalyst to the whole thing happening in the first place.

A day after winning the presidential election, Mr. Moon took office by reconfirming the broad changes he promised during his campaign, including curtailing the powers of the presidency and eliminating corrupt ties between government and business. He also vowed to “get busy for the sake of peace on the Korean Peninsula.” Mr. Moon said he was also willing to travel to Pyongyang, the capital of North Korea, to meet with Mr. Kim. But he cautioned that for such a trip to take place, “the circumstances have to be right.” He had earlier said that dialogue would become difficult if the North raised tension with another nuclear test.

The last inter-Korean summit meeting was in 2007, between Mr. Kim’s father, Kim Jong-il, and the president of South Korea at the time, Roh Moo-hyun, Mr. Moon’s closest friend and ideological ally. Mr. Moon is widely expected to introduce a modified version of Mr. Roh’s so-called sunshine policy of engaging North Korea with dialogue, humanitarian aid and joint economic projects. The idea behind the sunshine policy was to build trust with the North so that it would negotiate away its nuclear and ballistic missile programs. But that policy was thrown out in the last nine years. The two last presidents in Seoul, both conservatives, joined hands with Washington to try to isolate Pyongyang with sanctions and pressure, as the North advanced its weapons programs by conducting a series of nuclear and missile tests. In his first day in office, Mr. Moon rushed to build his government, appointing Lee Nak-yon, a provincial governor, as his prime minister. He also selected Suh Hoon, a former intelligence official, as director of the National Intelligence Service.

Mr. Moon’s election signaled the return of the liberals to the center stage of South Korean diplomacy. They believe that sanctions alone have failed to persuade North Korea to give up its nuclear weapons programs. They also do not want South Korea to be dragged into a hegemonic struggle between the United States and China — an attitude exemplified by their ambiguous stance over the deployment in South Korea of an American antimissile battery, the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense system, known as Thaad.

Thaad went operational last week, despite angry protests from China, which said that Thaad’s powerful radar undermined its own security. Chinese consumers have begun a boycott of many South Korean brands. Many South Koreans fumed over the economic retaliation by China, considering it the price of protecting the alliance with Washington. But others accused the United States of foisting the weapon on their country, especially after Mr. Trump said that Seoul should pay $1 billion for the Thaad battery, contrary to an earlier agreement.

Mr. Suh has spent his career monitoring North Korea and was involved in the negotiations that resulted in the two summit meetings between the Koreas, the first in 2002 and the second in 2007. Mr. Moon said he expected Mr. Suh to play a role in resolving the North Korean nuclear crisis. On Wednesday, Mr. Suh said that another inter-Korean summit meeting was “necessary,” but that it would be premature to discuss it when military tensions remained high on the peninsula.

“What we need the most is to find a breakthrough for resolving the North Korean nuclear issue,” Mr. Suh said. “When such conditions mature, I think we can go to Pyongyang.” Mr. Moon’s is the first liberal government in South Korea in nearly a decade. Conservatives remained disgraced by Ms. Park’s downfall but deeply wary of Mr. Moon’s approach to the North, which they said could jeopardize the alliance with Washington.Mr. Moon’s inaugural speech appeared to have been worded to ease such concerns while also putting a progressive stamp on foreign policy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/10/world/asia/moon-jae-in-president-south-korea.html

As you can see there's alot more going on than "Trump started this peace!" There's a lot of government shift in South Korea that has happened that's allowed this to be possible. That nation's whole stance has changed with how they want to deal with NK. There's a South Korean that's worked his butt off for years (his name is Suh Hoon) that's his whole career trying to fix this NK vs. SK issue. He was an intelligence official almost 20 years ago when they were close to a peace deal. They are introducing a similar deal again to the son "Un" in hopes that he agrees.

I'm not trying to strip credit from Trump exactly. I'm trying to strip "America" from getting all or most of the credit, because this is being fixed by South Korea with the help of China and America. But most of the work is being done by NK and SK.

NickFire

And this is the problem that I have with people giving Trump more credit than what's due. From the evidence at hand, being more aggressive to NK didn't create this situation. We know this because NK has responded to both hard core aggression and passive aggression.

I am sorry but that is just false. The evidence at hand is NK ramped up their efforts to be able to strike the US with a nuke until very recently. The about face came shortly after Trump lead a charge to increase sanctions, and to get China on board. He pushed China hard, and even dropped the biggest non-nuclear bomb on Syria while having dinner with China's president. I do believe the Olympics were NK's opportunity to save face by changing to a desire for peace as opposed to admitting that Trump forced their hand, but to say Trump has not played a massive role here is nothing more than partaking in tribal politics.

pramod

Banned
My feeling is that Trump is still the most likely person to receive the Nobel Prize from this. They HAVE to give it to SOMEONE, this story is too huge not to do so. But I think the Nobel committee would correctly realize that giving it to President Moon can be interpreted as a slight to Kim and gives the perception that somehow Moon and not Kim is the one who has more influence, I don't think they want to risk causing any bad feelings between North and South at this delicate time. So it makes more sense to just give it to Trump, I think both Kim and Moon wouldn't have a problem with it at all. The only people that would be upset are the Joy Behars and Don Lemons of this world.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

I don't think people on this board are seriously giving Trump all or most credit. Maybe a little cheeky trolling

If that's the case then I understand. Trolling in this case from pro-Trump people is understandable given the situation.

I am sorry but that is just false. The evidence at hand is NK ramped up their efforts to be able to strike the US with a nuke until very recently. The about face came shortly after Trump lead a charge to increase sanctions, and to get China on board. He pushed China hard, and even dropped the biggest non-nuclear bomb on Syria while having dinner with China's president. I do believe the Olympics were NK's opportunity to save face by changing to a desire for peace as opposed to admitting that Trump forced their hand, but to say Trump has not played a massive role here is nothing more than partaking in tribal politics.

Have you ever considered the possibility that NK ramped up those nuke efforts in order for the US and China to jump on board in the first place? You think I'm being anti-Trump here when it's not the case at all. I'm typically upset when any American President gets too much praise or too much blame for the things that are happening in the world.

Has South Korea had the same leadership at hand, this possible peace treaty wouldn't be happening at all!

Last edited:

Mohonky

At the end it doesn't matter if anyone gets any awards, so long as NK adhere to a peace treaty, then everyone wins. I couldn't give a rats ass if they gave Duerte a Nobel Piece Prize for it.

mckmas8808

I assume theres trolling on both sides since SK said Trump gets credit and anti Trump people saying SK be lying

Where's the quote for this? I'm curious to see how they worded it. Again remember I'm the guy that's giving Trump and co partial credit.

Grinchy

Banned
This whole thing is such a win-win. It's a great thing to see happening in the world and then the mental breakdown by those who can't handle that "Hitler Trump" might win a Nobel Peace Prize just adds amazing comedy to an already good situation.

Airola

Here's the video of the foreign minister giving credit to Trump so that everyone can hear it for themselves:

Dubloon7

Banned
i agree this is HUUUUUUGE but i feel Kim Un is playing the world, will feed all of his prisoners, grab free electronics, upgrade their systems for free, and bomb the entire planet, stating they, china, and russia have been playing the world for fools.

why else would NK test numerous missles throughout the past year, wag their tiny dick at trump's tiny dick, go secretly to china at nighttime to meet their lifelong communist leader, state his marientte doll wife is "1st lady", etc.?

Last edited:

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
It’s good, but the sudden face turn is suspect to me. I wonder if China really went all in after all.

Good news. Ordinary North Korean people have suffered for so long between their leadership and sanctions. Hope this can lead to a better life for them.

John Day

Alright Gaf. Can we all meet in the middle here, come to an agreement that will make everyone happy? That most of not all credit goes to the one true visionary...

18j5942jw3lm3jpg.jpg

Rodman. Setting picks for peace since 2018.

I came for this. Am not dissapointed. The Nobel prize definately his.

Top Bottom