• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North Korea's Kim Jong-un crosses into South Korea (UPDATE: Korean War Declared Over; joint statement)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Here's the video of the foreign minister giving credit to Trump so that everyone can hear it for themselves:

Thanks.
i agree this is HUUUUUUGE but i feel Kim Un is playing the world, will feed all of his prisoners, grab free electronics, upgrade their systems for free, and bomb the entire planet, stating they, china, and russia have been playing the world for fools.

why else would NK test numerous missles throughout the past year, wag their tiny dick at trump's tiny dick, go secretly to china at nighttime to meet their lifelong communist leader, state his marientte doll wife is "1st lady", etc.?

This is my fear too. But I wouldn't blame Trump for that. It's very possible that Kim Jun Un is using this as a way to get economic and humanitarian aid. And could possibly go back to doing terrible things 5 years from now. But you have to follow through with the deal regardless.

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
Personally, I hope this puts the Korean Peninsula on a path toward reunification but I’m cynical of the North’s intentions.

This could easily be a ploy to get out of sanctions, stock up on supplies, and then return to the usual despotic belligerence.

Osukaa

Personally, I hope this puts the Korean Peninsula on a path toward reunification but I’m cynical of the North’s intentions.

This could easily be a ploy to get out of sanctions, stock up on supplies, and then return to the usual despotic belligerence.

Yes I agree. This just seems way to easy and crazy that he was threatening everyone with nukes and whatnot and then he has a turn face and hes supposed to be of sane mind now.

If it is this easy then I gotta say its nice to have a war like this end and we can get people reunited with their families. Honestly though I am hoping everything goes smoothly and that Kim is put on trial for crimes against humanity for the way he treated the people of his country, the man is a monster for letting the prisons stay open that torture and kill people who dared to speak up against him and his regime.

Everytime I see him on TV being happy and buddy buddy with the South it makes me sick knowing about the kind of man he is. He's there celebrating while innocent people in his country are suffering and being denied basic human rights. I hope the South and other countries can help the people that have been suffering. I know its a dream to hope everything goes smooth but damn for once in my life Id love to see an event like this go off without a hitch and to have people get what they deserve.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Moon did all of the leg work, if anything for a peace prize it'll be Kim and Moon Joint. Threatening nukes doesn't get you peace prizes. Toughening sanctions is good diplomacy even though there's collateral damage to the health of the NK population. China and the US did well there.

Many including Trump played a role but I would credit the biggest part to Kim’s sister as she first made the brave move of crossing the border to attend the olympics in South Korea.

Trump thanked Xi for his role:

Recall Kimmy went to Beijing to meet with Xi directly a few weeks ago. It was Trump's constant pushing and edge lording over the nuclear issue that influenced Xi to influence Kimmy to meet with a willing Moon. Trump will meet last with Kimmy to formalize the entire ordeal, because he started it, he has to end this chapter of negotiations.

Last edited:

iamblades

Thing is, any normalization of trade and relations between north and south makes it increasingly difficult for the north to keep up the charade of their propaganda, even if they attempt to ramp it up again later.

You have already seen a shift in their propaganda over the years as the world has gotten more globalized, they've stopped claiming they are the most wealthy and powerful nation in the world as it has become physically impossible for anyone in NK to believe that. So they've switched to being the brave small nation that has fought off the rest of the world. Once average people in the north can see the way the rest of the world lives, they won't be able to believe that lie either and it will become obvious that they have just been held hostage for decades.

I think Kim sees the trends in technology and the movement of ideas and information and realizes that the ability for his government to maintain the kind of control they have is coming to an end, so he is trying to end it in a way that doesn't end with him at the end of a rope, and ideally with him still maintaining some nominal amount of power.

Not that I would put it past him to use the aid to prop up his regime, so any aid that is given should be in a form that requires direct interaction between north and south, and should be tied directly to such interactions.

There is a core truism regarding this entire situation;

-North Korea won't denuclearize unless the US leaves the Korean peninsula

Everything else is smoke and mirrors and gravitates around this core issue.

China would prefer a united Korea, but not one under US military influence. Kimmy was pushed by Xi, but beyond this issue China would not push him.

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
Many including Trump played a role but I would credit the biggest part to Kim’s sister as she first made the brave move of crossing the border to attend the olympics in South Korea.

Good point, I actually think having the Olympics in S. Korea was a good move for the entire situation.

WaterAstro

Korean war declared over? What a joke.

As long as their is concentration camps inside of North Korea, and that the entire population are being manipulated with propaganda and fear, North Korea is still at war with the world. This is just some bullshit.

TrainedRage

Banned

As long as their is concentration camps inside of North Korea, and that the entire population are being manipulated with propaganda and fear, North Korea is still at war with the world. This is just some bullshit.
Why do you think its all "bullshit"? You think Kim would put himself in this position, where the world is opening up to him. Only to screw everyone over and go back to isolation. People would HATE N. Korea even more than they already do. Kim is a psycho but I don't think he is that much of a psycho.

LordOfChaos

Why do you think its all "bullshit"? You think Kim would put himself in this position, where the world is opening up to him. Only to screw everyone over and go back to isolation. People would HATE N. Korea even more than they already do. Kim is a psycho but I don't think he is that much of a psycho.

Just in my life there have been many cycles of escalating, and then deescalating in exchange for some aid and unfreezing currency. Once their pool is filled they went back to their own shitty ways. It seems crazy to you, but the whole game is about keeping the regime in power.

I'm all for embracing the peace and making final progress here, but it has to be that, final, negotiations have to make sure they won't just return to developing ICBMs and nukes and generally sucking the minute their funding pool is no longer empty. This isn't even considering their modern day gulags.

Last edited:

WaterAstro

When someone murders their own family members, yes, he is that much of a psycho.

You need to remember that he and his father had starved millions just to make themselves look good with the building of the Nanpo Dam. He's not afraid to kill the entire population just so he can look good.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Sincerely, you're poisoned by negativity and it's compromising how you perceive...everything. Not just talking this thread. I've been in that sort of headspace before too, rest assured.

Whatever it is on your side, give yourself some healing time and pull out of the misery pit, focus on some stuff off-internet and away from the news for a while maybe. Everyone knows NK's human rights circumstances and Kim's crimes. As evil as he is by all accounts, bringing him to justice is meaningless compared to the rest of the stakes here. The 60 year Korean War just ended. Understand how significant that is and what it means for North and South Korean people. Now doors can start opening for addressing the rest.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
When someone murders their own family members, yes, he is that much of a psycho.

You need to remember that he and his father had starved millions just to make themselves look good with the building of the Nanpo Dam. He's not afraid to kill the entire population just so he can look good.

Keep in mind though our media can also be a propoganda machine and we may not know how much of the above is true or even the reasons for them if they are.

Ending the war marks an opportunity for change in everything going on in NK.

WaterAstro

Sincerely, you're poisoned by negativity and it's compromising how you perceive...everything. Not just talking this thread. I've been in that sort of headspace before too, rest assured.

Whatever it is on your side, give yourself some healing time and pull out of the misery pit, focus on some stuff off-internet and away from the news for a while maybe. Everyone knows NK's human rights circumstances and Kim's crimes. As evil as he is by all accounts, bringing him to justice is meaningless compared to the rest of the stakes here. The 60 year Korean War just ended. Understand how significant that is and what it means for North and South Korean people. Now doors can start opening for addressing the rest.
Until we see more concrete action on humanitarian issues and plans to demilitarize North Korea, I don't think this statement of peace will mean anything. North Korea has one of the largest military in the world that if Kim wishes to, he can attack with no warning the week after. If North Korean artillery are still pointed south, then there is no peace. Until there is plans for the UN or someone to go into North Korea and see to the dismantling all their artillery, mines, and a significant decrease in military, the danger will be there, and it will still not feel peaceful.

I don't think that will happen because the UN will find their concentration camps if they are allowed in. It won't end until the entire Kim regime is shut down. Until I see evidence of that, I won't believe in this peace.
Keep in mind though our media can also be a propoganda machine and we may not know how much of the above is true or even the reasons for them if they are.

Ending the war marks an opportunity for change in everything going on in NK.
Does ending the war stop the concentration camps? feed their starving population? remove weapons pointed south? Until I see those being done, this is really just a charade for me. The Kims are maniacs that everyone should be suspicious of any possible agenda that they might have.

Airola

I have an optimist and a pessimist fighting inside of me.

The Pessimist:
How on earth Kim can unveil this to the North Korean people? The whole country is brainwashed to think badly of South Korean people. And the whole country is brainwashed to think the USA is the most evil country there is (or something like that). How is Kim going to tell these countries might be ok? Even if he figures out a way I would think there could very well be an uproar of citizens if their eyes are opened to the truth even a bit. So maybe there is a chance things will stay exactly the same for the North Korean people. And maybe Kim ends up backpedaling. It would not be the first time a thing like that has happened.

The Optimist:
Even though there are examples of North Korea just pulling a stunt with pretty much the same subject, I don't think they have ever created so many symbolic things to remind everyone of this deal. There's the planting of a tree with all the symbolic water and soil performance done during the moment of building peace. There is a stone in front of the tree where it says loud and clear that it's peace now. It has the date and all. Have they ever gone this far in whatever deals they did before? I'd think breaking the deal after this kind of performance would be met with reactions harsher than ever from the world. It is even on tape how Kim brings Moon hand in hand to the soil of North Korea which is still an unbelievable thing to witness. I mean, you can rip the papers. You can forget ever shaking hands with the enemy. But these gestures from both sides make it seem this could very well finally be the real deal.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Does ending the war stop the concentration camps? feed their starving population? remove weapons pointed south? Until I see those being done, this is really just a charade for me. The Kims are maniacs that everyone should be suspicious of any possible agenda that they might have.

Yes. It can help fix all those things and more. The weapons being pointed south is one instantly resolved by ending the war. The rest may take time.

It's Jeff

Banned
So I called my mother. Her family fled North Korea and relocated south to escape the communists. She's pretty close knit with the Korean community here. I asked about how her friends were reacting.

Tears, is what she told me. Cynicism doesn't suit this moment. Somewhere, on a purple themed board, half the replies shit relentlessly on this occasion because our president was involved. Insanity. Share joy for a jubilant moment. If you're still thinking about teams during a time like this, take a minute to reflect about why tribalism means so much to you. Have a nice slice of cake and celebrate instead. This is a great day.

KINGMOKU

Until we see more concrete action on humanitarian issues and plans to demilitarize North Korea, I don't think this statement of peace will mean anything. North Korea has one of the largest military in the world that if Kim wishes to, he can attack with no warning the week after. If North Korean artillery are still pointed south, then there is no peace. Until there is plans for the UN or someone to go into North Korea and see to the dismantling all their artillery, mines, and a significant decrease in military, the danger will be there, and it will still not feel peaceful.

I don't think that will happen because the UN will find their concentration camps if they are allowed in. It won't end until the entire Kim regime is shut down. Until I see evidence of that, I won't believe in this peace.

Things take time. Rome wasn't built in a day, and getting N.Korea up to snuff certainly won't either.

Try and look at the good that is happening and roll with that. Also, don't get upset over what may not, what hasn't, what might not, or what still is.

The process has to start somewhere.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
I have an optimist and a pessimist fighting inside of me.

The Pessimist:
How on earth Kim can unveil this to the North Korean people? The whole country is brainwashed to think badly of South Korean people.

The culture shock will be immense, in particular, there will be significant difficulties retaining the regime currently in power as they are opened up to the rest of the world and see what is in store. I simply don't see how retaining the regime is feasible. SK could have wireless expanded in NK in a matter of years. I mean full broadband wireless technology with cell phones. It would take longer to expand NK's electrical grid. (NK doesn't need its own generation at least initially, it can get it from China and South Korea.)

Once you have a society opened up to outside modern western culture (which SK is), it becomes impossible for it to continue operating the way it does and questions would be raised about how the regime retained power. Political and cultural recrimination would be swift.

There are SK reality shows about NK escapees and the aftermath is all around messed up (couple of documentaries out there about it; look up Defector TV, and "Nam nam Buk Nyeo," the latter being a show about SK men dating NK defectors).

But these gestures from both sides make it seem this could very well finally be the real deal.

I think it's the real deal but I think the overarching plans are going to be highly limited at first. Regime stays in power, NK is recognized as a sister state with no power over SK and vice versa. Economic sharing, borders relatively open. Lots of cheap labor that speaks Korean would be highly enticing to South Korean businesses. But I expect NK would still highly regulate the information flow and data access. There won't be cell phones in the hands of North Koreans any time soon. For that to be the case Kim would have step down.

bucyou

China would prefer a united Korea, but not one under US military influence. Kimmy was pushed by Xi, but beyond this issue China would not push him.

Not exactly...

SEOUL, South Korea — Keeping diplomatic developments coming at a head-snapping pace, the South Korean government said on Sunday that North Korea’s leader, Kim Jong-un, had told President Moon Jae-in that he would abandon his nuclear weapons if the United States agreed to formally end the Korean War and promise not to invade his country.

In a confidence-building gesture ahead of a proposed summit meeting with President Trump, a suddenly loquacious and conciliatory Mr. Kim also said he would invite experts and journalists from South Korea and the United States to watch the shutdown next month of his country’s only known underground nuclear test site.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/29/world/asia/north-korea-trump-nuclear.html

pramod

Banned
Trump haters like WaterAstro moving the goal posts as usual....if this happened under Obama they will all be declaring this to be the greatest event in human history.

To be fair though this sort of blind tribalism is happening on both sides. I have a Korean friend who is a staunch conservative who hates President Moon and he belives this is all a sham and show that will just result in Kim getting richer and fatter.

Last edited:

Makariel

Wow, I did not expect that it would happen so quickly. I'm speechless.

edit:
Have you ever heard the phrase "Rome wasn't built in a day"? Sure, we won't know if this will lead to lasting peace, reform and acceptable living conditions for all those living in North Korea, but I take a step in direction of tearing down borders over the endless seeming stalemate with interspersed escalation. Were you also running around listing Soviet war crimes when the Berlin wall fell?

Last edited:
Trump haters like WaterAstro moving the goal posts as usual....if this happened under Obama they will all be declaring this to be the greatest event in human history.

To be fair though this sort of blind tribalism is happening on both sides. I have a Korean friend who is a staunch conservative who hates President Moon and he belives this is all a sham and show that will just result in Kim getting richer and fatter.
I don't think it's wrong to remain skeptical and it has nothing to do with like trump or not as you like to point out. Even if this happened under Obama, someone like myself would still remain skeptical.
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/04/29/pompeo-north-korea-nuclear-559288
“Who knows how the ultimate discussions will go,” Pompeo added. “There is a lot of work to do, but I am very hopeful that the conditions that have been set by President Trump give us this chance.”

Later, in an interview on “Fox News Sunday,” White House national security adviser John Bolton reiterated the Trump administration's call for skepticism about Kim’s rhetoric.

“There’s no one in the Trump administration starry-eyed about what’s going to happen here,” Bolton said.

Pressed by Fox host Chris Wallace, Bolton added, “We’ve heard similar things from North Korea before. That’s why I think that while we should be optimistic in pursuing the opportunity, we should be skeptical of rhetoric until we see some concrete evidence.”

Asked by Karl whether anything the North Korean leader says could be trusted, Pompeo said the administration is “not going to take words.”

See? Even two people within Trumps administration aren't gleaming with joy just yet. It's not over until the lady sings. On the other hand, Pompeo's speech in the second last paragraph has made me curious what he is talking about doing. Like what so of tactics are they further planning. I can see why some people called him, and Bolton as war hawks

As positive as I have been about this whole process this is starting to sound almost to good to be true.

Getting rid of the nukes and having people come in and watch?

The only sticking point is to not invade?

Wow.

Yeah, there is an ocean of difference between making a grandiose promise and keeping it. Promises are easy. This all plays into current negotiations.

North Korea won't hand over its nuclear weapons without drastic concessions from the US. The US is on very recent record for breaking such a promise and destroying the country who they made the promise to (Libya, Qaddafi gave up his nuke program in return for normalized relations with the west).

Granted, North Korea has a formal defense pact with China (which only applies if North Korea is attacked by the US) so the situation is different. Libya had nobody. But NK will seek compensation at least a few orders of magnitude beyond what their multi-decade nuclear program cost them. A few hundred billion worth. What form that takes is anybody's guess, but a major measure of such value would be demilitarizing the border. This would include removing 28,000 US tripwire troops from South Korea.

Last edited:

dolabla

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-deserves-nobel-peace-prize-for-north-korea-work-sks-moon-2018-4

President Donald Trump should win the Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts to end the standoff with North Korea over its nuclear-weapons program, South Korean President Moon Jae-in said on Monday.

"President Trump should win the Nobel Peace Prize. What we need is only peace," Moon told a cabinet meeting, according to a media release.

Moon met with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un on Friday, where the pair pledged to end hostilities and work toward the "complete denuclearization" at the first inter-Korean summit since 2007.

Trump is expected to meet with Kim in May or early June, and has been in regular contact with Moon.

mckmas8808

Hmmmm.....this seems like the closest thing to the truth in this thread. At the end of the day it's all a proxy war.

mckmas8808

Crowd- "NOBEL" "NOBEL" "NOBEL"!!!

Trump- "I just want to get the job done".

Ok that was cool -me

It's so weird to see people pushing so hard for this Nobel Peace Prize. Even more so considering that the deal is barely halfway worked through. Why are people pushing so hard for this for an American President? Has this ever happened before?

Geki-D

Banned
http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-deserves-nobel-peace-prize-for-north-korea-work-sks-moon-2018-4

President Donald Trump should win the Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts to end the standoff with North Korea over its nuclear-weapons program, South Korean President Moon Jae-in said on Monday.

"President Trump should win the Nobel Peace Prize. What we need is only peace," Moon told a cabinet meeting, according to a media release.

Moon met with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un on Friday, where the pair pledged to end hostilities and work toward the "complete denuclearization" at the first inter-Korean summit since 2007.

Trump is expected to meet with Kim in May or early June, and has been in regular contact with Moon.
Whilst I'm sure stuff has gone on behind closed doors, isn't this mostly Moon Jae-in's doing? Trump hasn't met Kim Jong Un yet and unless threats of war over Twitter is worth a Nobel peace price, I don't quite see what Trump has done.

Either way, nothing is written in stone and NK still remains a dictatorship. I'll believe it when NK gets its first McDonald's.

Last edited:

Airola

It's so weird to see people pushing so hard for this Nobel Peace Prize. Even more so considering that the deal is barely halfway worked through. Why are people pushing so hard for this for an American President? Has this ever happened before?

It could be some sort of a knee-jerk counter reaction to all the "Trump's gonna start a World War III any moment now" talks.

iamblades

It could be some sort of a knee-jerk counter reaction to all the "Trump's gonna start a World War III any moment now" talks.

More that Obama got one for absolutely no reason.

Still petty bullshit to be arguing over who gets the credit instead of focusing on actually making sure everything goes well, but petty bullshit seems to be the defining feature of our political landscape these days.

mckmas8808

Still petty bullshit to be arguing over who gets the credit instead of focusing on actually making sure everything goes well, but petty bullshit seems to be the defining feature of our political landscape these days.

To be honest, I'm shocked that the leader of South Korea is now publically pushing for Trump to get the Nobel, considering that he of all people knows that the deal isn't even close to done yet. I just feels so odd to me. It'll be like players on the Pittsburgh Steelers pushing for Tom Brady to win the MVP of 2018 after 4 games (the NFL has 16 games in a season) of the season because he had a good couple games.

His group of fanatics has been chanting shit like this since 2016. This isn't new.

Though it does seem that what they chant rarely comes to be so here we go again.

To be honest, I'm shocked that the leader of South Korea is now publically pushing for Trump to get the Nobel, considering that he of all people knows that the deal isn't even close to done yet. I just feels so odd to me. It'll be like players on the Pittsburgh Steelers pushing for Tom Brady to win the MVP of 2018 after 4 games (the NFL has 16 games in a season) of the season because he had a good couple games.

Because Trump demanded it. Trump would have zero interest if his name wasn't on it front and center.

TrainedRage

Banned
Look how hard people pushed for Obama... He won the peace prize on a day when he ordered thousands of troops to war with Afghanistan. This is the guy that ordered more drone strikes and missile attacks than any other president ever... Still got the peace prize. Its pretty obvious on both sides although (I can't believe it but) Trump 'deserves' it more IMO.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Bams described his own Nobel Peace Prize appropriately I thought:

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/09/us/politics/09obama-text.html

Good morning.

Well, this is not how I expected to wake up this morning.

After I received the news, Malia walked in and said, "Daddy, you won the Nobel Peace Prize, and it is Bo's birthday."

And then Sasha added, "Plus, we have a three-day weekend coming up."

So it's -- it's good to have kids to keep things in perspective.

I am both surprised and deeply humbled by the decision of the Nobel Committee.

Let me be clear, I do not view it as a recognition of my own accomplishments, but rather as an affirmation of American leadership on behalf of aspirations held by people in all nations.

To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize, men and women who've inspired me and inspired the entire world through their courageous pursuit of peace.

But I also know that this prize reflects the kind of world that those men and women and all Americans want to build, a world that gives life to the promise of our founding documents.
And I know that throughout history the Nobel Peace Prize has not just been used to honor specific achievement; it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes.
And that is why I will accept this award as a call to action, a call for all nations to confront the common challenges of the 21st century.

We cannot tolerate a world in which nuclear weapons spread to more nations and in which the terror of a nuclear holocaust endangers more people.

And that's why we've begun to take concrete steps to pursue a world without nuclear weapons: because all nations have the right to pursue peaceful nuclear power, but all nations have the responsibility to demonstrate their peaceful intentions.

We cannot accept the growing threat posed by climate change, which could forever damage the world that we pass on to our children, sowing conflict and famine, destroying coastlines and emptying cities.

And that's why all nations must now accept their share of responsibility for transforming the way that we use energy.

[...]

Awarding an aspirational prize in hopes of encouraging some sort of "yay peace" follow through later is a dubious way of going about things, and certainly didn't seem to do much to change his administration's priorities. He was status quo on military intervention before and after, and much more interested in fighting for climate change issues before and after.

Top Bottom